Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Roth posted:

October looks to be a very packed month of movies

1st - The Many Saints of Newark
8th - No Time to Die
15th - Halloween Kills, The Last Duel
22nd - Dune, The French Dispatch,
29th - Last Night in Soho

Just from American movie studios

Getting those Oscar noms in under the wire huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lol. prescient minds think alike

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Paul walking around in the open sun is a little bit weird visually given that the entire movie is constantly reinforcing how harsh the environment is. the entire palm tree scene can be fixed quite elegantly if they just filmed the scene a bit closer to day break so Paul walking around uncovered (and the gardener's line about the time of day) makes more sense. hell you could even dim the footage in post or ADR Paul saying something about the sunlight or whatever.

there are a lot of tiny quibbles I have with the film and nearly all of them could have been fixed in the editing room. somebody needs to fire Joe Walker, kidnap Villeneuve and force him to release a 4 hr cut against his will

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Freedom Trails posted:

Hi everyone. Please accept my apologies. I'm very sorry for having acted out in this manner and for posting extremely badly in this thread (probably elsewhere as well).

thank you. go in peace friend

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I was just thinking about the Villeneuve-Nolan comparison this morning, except in the opposite direction, I like V a lot more. his action cinematography and choreography is tighter, the sound mixing isn't dogshit, the emotional beats have more weight, and everything seems to indicate he's a decent person to work with

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

erring on the side of subtlety is way, way better than the alternative

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

H13 posted:

I think Nolan would've tried to inflate Dune and make it bigger than it already is, while telling it with a non-linear story for no goddamn reason other than to confuse the gently caress out of the audience 'cos SMART.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2FXfFeRtJo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

The witch lady was super hot

thats my review

agreed, charlotte rampling is a fox

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

feel like the emperor's actor should have the chops to be able to pull off powerful, incompetent, and panicky simultaneously. John hurt would have been perfect

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sir Ben Kingsley?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Werner Herzog

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Ardent Communist posted:

Haha for some reason my brain read this as Michael Jai White, and I was like :wrong:
"I should have known you'd be behind this, fiendish Dr. Yueh. Your knowledge of scientific biological transmorphification is only outmatched by your love of kung fu treachery!"

Lawl

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

some of the color and atmosphere related complaints can be traced back to dp greig fraser, whose style lends itself to more washed out, "realistic" color grading (see also zero dark thirty, rogue one, and vice)—a clear departure from the style of dv's previous collaborator Roger deakins for br2049. the difference is jarring especially if you had br2 fresh on the mind while watching Dunc. In fairness, it seemed like a deliberate choice on dv's part: the color grading, the iconography of the set/costume design, and certain camera choices serve to reinforce the modern colonialism metaphor by evoking Hollywood's and the media's depiction of the Iraq war. also, deakins is one of the greatest cinematographers of our time so it's not exactly a fair comparison

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

During the Harkonnen raid, over 1000 Fremen died and 19 brave Atreides warriors gave their lives:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

david_a posted:

Morgan Freeman has been trying to get this movie made for decades and the biggest issue seems to be getting the right script.

sorry, do you mean that Morgan Freeman?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Oh I guess it would make sense if he is actually a space sci-fi nerd. He's in a bunch of astronomy docs

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Someone described it as walking around inside their own tombs, which I thought was a great insight.

I love this

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

whenever I see someone eat with their hands (or do it myself) I think about Skarsgard in this movie just horkin away like what's his face from Lord of the rings

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I wish I could enjoy anything as much as the Baron enjoys mackin on fried spice balls or sandworm meat or whatever with his mortal enemy paralyzed and nude only a few feet away

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

money. it's a gas

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The book has been available online for more than a decade. This was monstrously stupid, even moreso since it was directly fueled by the destruction of our environment.

the dramatic irony is palpable. Herbert is turning in his grave lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it has to be werner herzog

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

thought of an alternate thread title:

D U N C: suk my condicktioning

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bedshaped posted:

update: i found out i have coronavirus and did not make it to dune

sorry to hear that. hope you get better soon

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I'm trying very hard to not have an aneurysm reading this sentence.

lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

fun fact, comparing the closeness of events in the past to the present is a surefire way to make sure everyone knows you are an old

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

(Not you, generic "you" meaning "someone")

pause the thread for a moment, because I was thinking about this just this morning and I need to write words about it to get it out of my system: it sucks that English speakers (esp. Americans) don't use the impersonal "one" construction anymore. "One goes to the store," "one follows one's own path," etc. it solves a lot of problems like this here where you need to spend extra words clarifying your usage of "you." but if you use it in conversation it makes you sound like a nutjob. it's bullshit! bullshit, I tell you

kalel fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 24, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Thing is, in Dune it doesn't make sense that the Heighliner should be the one to have smooth shapes that would work well for atmospheric reentry, because it does no such thing.
Meanwhile, at least as far as I remember, the Atreides ships (that I'm not sure they have in the books) don't look like they could do atmospheric reentry.

A little bit of an oversight.

this is a joke right?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

jeeves posted:

I really with DV would get off his high horse and release a longer cut. It would make WB a shitload more money too.

our only hope is Warner Bros playing the part of the evil capitalist machine and forcing DV to release a longer cut against his will

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ruddiger posted:

The build up of the voice is so good in the new movie. I almost wanted to look away when Jessica used it on the ornithopter.

yeah but it's not faithful to the book's description of how the voice sounds so it sucks. 0/10 film

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

btw lol at people who actually thought that, because the voice actually is faithful to the spirit of the book's description as it relates to genetic memory of the maternal lineage

if dunc haters had their way the voice would have a bunch of random modulations that take away all dramatic effect. it would sound like pewdiepie gargling a rabbit's rear end

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

they'll probably go with someone boring but adequate. like Ben Kingsley

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

"Who's on Arrakis?"
"That's right."
"'That's right' is on Arrakis?"
"No, Who's on Arrakis."
"That's what I'm asking!"

kalel fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 12, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I know she has a song called "geidi prime" so that's not exactly surprising

but the next person who kramers in here and claims that grimes' version of dune would have been better than Villeneuve's is getting fed to the worm

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

yeah grimes I'd really love to see your take on the film with all of the colonialist elements scrubbed out. you definitely have a firm grasp on the source material

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

She had two (2) children with Elon musk, so yes she is a moron

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

david_a posted:

Which I guess is why she’s dating Chelsea Manning now? This sounded like a joke the first time I heard it but I should have known better.

lol that's pretty badass

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Martman posted:

Corrino Man

Give us some spice, you're the Corrino man
Give us some spice tonight
Well we're all in the mood for a conspiracy
And you've got us feeling alright

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

personally I just want to see barry keoghan gently caress timothy chalamet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

Alia

TBD - Villeneuve

wee Alia shows up briefly in the film in Paul's vision. I assume they'll recast her for the sequel but technically there is an actress (actor?) playing her.

You have failed. Please empty your desk on the way out