Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I played the clip for my gf who knows nothing of Dune and now she's pretty excited. The version I've been seeing is almost exactly the same as the one already posted, except for the clips at the end. I have this cued to the one shot that's missing and it's loving amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12n5APZhf4U&t=394s

It's a man moon-jumping down from a harvester.

My guess is that it's the reunion of Gurney and Paul, which is one of the most emotional scenes from the book I'm dying to see on the big screen. I think instead of a Fremen ambush killing a few of Gurney's smugglers before Paul reveals himself, Gurney is jumping down to fight all of them solo. Not a MAJOR change but I guess they didn't want to show Fremen murdering his colleagues.

Which, ultra spoiler, weren't they all just Sardaukar agents pretending to be smugglers to find and assassinate the prophet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Naw there were a few of them, not the whole group

Oh yeah you right dog.

While I'm in here being a nerd already, I have one fantasy scene that's lacking from the books- it's an unfinished plot. If you read the prequels and consider them canon, Gurney has a very, very, extreme justification for hating the Harkonnens and Glosu Rabban in particular.

In the books, Rabban's death isn't even described- Stilger just informs Paul. It's completely unceremonious.

I'd kill for a scene where Gurney personally gets his hands on Rabban for payback. I don't care in which chapter! Make it happen Dennis.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

i think we speculated about this earlier, there's a scene where Gurney confronts some Harks and I think that may be when the Beast gets got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Qp5pL3ovA&t=79s

edit it was in the GBS dune thread i think.

Hell yeah, you might be right. Thank you sir.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Carpet posted:

Dune Part 2 tickets finally went on sale in the UK, dead on midnight with no advance warning.

Drove me nuts too in the US, there is no direction at all for when tickets go on sale. I had a link to my IMAX theater refreshing several times a day for weeks so I could snag the best seats. All that work and I got 11 tickets for all my friends on the.... second best row! Mother FUCKERS :argh:

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

It didn't even occur to me but there isn't a whisper about the actress on IMDB, but that could be that it doesn't usually log the names of children idk. If they're keeping that detail super secret I'm not really sure what big reveal I'm supposed to be expecting at the theater.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Speaking of Part 1, my gf and my buddy's gf are coming over soon to see it for the first time.

Trust me when I say, they will be bathed, inundated with lore for a single question they have about the characters or plot. My services are so committed that their demands for me to shut up will be brushed off like dirt. Sand, if you will.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

absolutely turn a massive Las-gun of LORE

As you know, the Holtzman effect causes a Las-gun fired at a LORE shield causes a nuclear explosion, sometimes at the source of the Las-gun

are you listening

but sometimes at the targeted LORE shield.

Sometimes both.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Finally, the speculation of Alia is over. Lady Jessica gave birth to a full grown woman.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

having Future Alia zapping thoughts into Jessica's mind lets them skirt the Murder-baby issue. i know we all want to see Murder-baby but the general public may well balk at such an advanced concept.

In all fairness the Lynch movie did a kickass job with the Alia casting. No need to fix whut ain't broke to begin with.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Daduzi posted:

First social media reviews are out. Obviously take with a heavy pinch of salt, and expect actual reviews to be more tempered, but looking good so far: https://variety.com/2024/film/news/dune-2-first-reactions-masterpiece-chalamet-zendaya-1235908114/
https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/dune-2-called-masterclass-first-224600791.html

ok but gently caress everyone that's already been able to watch this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I guess it's time to dicklessly pontificate on how future-vision Alia kills the baron, if at all.

Calling it now, his suspensor has a battery failure while he's catastrophically floating near the top of some stairs.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

As someone that only read a pamphlet at the bus station that just says SAND HITLER, I found the story quite reductive and simplistic.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Dune's world at its barest bones is familiar.

The protagonist house gaining power from charisma, empathy and popularity while the envious rivals delete them because they only know oppression and control is a parable you'll experience in any corporate environment ever.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

ram dass in hell posted:

the whole point of reading dune is that you are one step closer to reading God emperor of dune. Keep going.

You're not a real G until you progress to magic vaginas and space jews

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I want the 7 hour version where 4 are just sandworms carrying the flag of the seemingly erased Atreides riding into battle.

beep beep, motherfuckers. Remember us???

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Oof, spoiler heavy of a review.

I'm pissed that Thufir Hawat is written out. His decision to die in Paul's arms rather than kill him was a tremendous moment in the books. F you Dennis!

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

It'll be pretty funny at this point if the movie sucks.

Extra super bonus points if Dennis hotswaps this in at the last moment and hopes nobody notices

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

lol if Denis cut that out

I'm prepared to clear you to lol in disappointment with me.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Good. Not being able to talk about a piece of art infantilises the discussion. I mean sure let people know first, but it's kind of insane this is an issue for a wildly famous 60 year old novel.

Sorry, I'm trying to follow. (Really). I assume you mean it's good the reviews had spoilers, and not that a major character was erased. I'm perfectly with you that spoilers following the novel aren't a big deal (All 3 main Harkonnens are getting knifed), but it turns into a gray area when it's spoiling how the adaptation is choosing to greatly diverge from the plot. ie Thufir retired to a proverbial farm, Paul is going to kill the Baron, Alia is indeed just an adult vision etc.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

idk, Thufir's final act never really resonated with me "will this good guy kill the hero?" didn't exactly have me on the edge of my seat

IDK I like the part that the Emperor deploys two assassins in a row- the first opting to die at Paul's feet and the other gettin' the ol Knife in Brain treatment. And Paul gets to stand there after like "You done with this??".

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Not sure if anyone else's Youtube feed is plagued by endless "New Final Again" trailers that are always just a sample of the existing clips in a new order. And I'm a sucker every time.

6 more days

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Buttchocks posted:

Played by Anya Taylor-Joy

Entire movie is played by ATJ gholas wearing different outfits and wigs.

Scarabrae posted:

Wonder if Paul will be handed Jamis’s wife and kids, assuming that’s cut out lol

I wondered if that was Harah making fun of him at the worm ride clip or if she's just a rando character. Kinda seems like something Harah would do.

Scags McDouglas fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 25, 2024

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Scarabrae posted:

I mean if it were later in the story I think she would be great as Alia, unless it is her in some Paul future vision stuff.

Sorry, didn't realize you were being serious before.

It's almost certain she's Alia as a vision. Dennis chose not to cast a child.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

ephori posted:

Its gonna be a time skip all the way to Marty and Daniel, commenting on the movie like Statler and Waldorf, or MST3k

"Endless sequels in plot for the Leto II ghola to just get eaten by a big ol sandworm"

"Biggest letdown since Brian Herbert"

ho ho ho ho :stat: :wal:

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

I'm seated for it now. Decided to do it up and get some popcorn, which I never do and ended up getting too much popcorn.

It's not March 1st? Why do you get to be special??? gently caress YOU!!!

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Leto II gluing a little plastic dong to the side of his giant worm body just to see what would happen if someone notices is my favorite gag in literature

The ladies can't get enough when your monstrous, inhuman body has a nice little stick-on dong to complement the outfit.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Petition to thread-ban until Friday night the filthy non-Americans and other special cases in here joyously declaring their experience. :patriot:

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Really hope the second movie has the gladiator fight

That scene is all over the previews so you'll have your satisfaction.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Mata posted:

Saw it tonight in Stockholm, not sure what's up with the release dates

It's my fault, I errantly thought the US release date was global. Curse all of you.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

Why? There's no downside to paying an actor a nice chunk of change for a day's work if that's going to get a bunch more people to the theater. I'm sure they want to do Messiah, but I don't think any casting decisions are made based off of that hope/assumption.

I think what they're saying is, if the determination is to stop at book 1, there's no point in including Alia as a future vision at all. Just write her out entirely. The Baron's assassination is already being retconned. Hell, bring Thufir back Dennis, you dick.

I believe the ATJ investment means there's a plan for a Messiah movie where she is actually present physically.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

Oh I see. Yeah that makes more sense. Of course by not including Alia that would make the entire pregnancy element which appears early in the first movie to be totally pointless. But I guess there's always gambles with this type of storytelling.

Agreed. Paul's first son was pretty pointless in the original plot so maybe they could have both been Poochie'd out in one sentence.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

If you're a weak bitch like me and keep watching every new clip that comes in rather than wait till Friday, here's Irulan to Mohiam and figuring poo poo out, right quick.

Spoilers, obv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4JRjW7Uvt8

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

deoju posted:

I can't remember, in the book does Feyd get a bene gesserit member pregnant? What becomes of that plot point?

One of the interesting parts of the prequels is that Mohiam asks the Baron for sperm and he rapes her as a gently caress you, and in retaliation she looks through her inventory of contained diseases and gives him the incurable one that turned him into a fat disgusting blob. Before that he was fit. Also now you know the fun story of how Lady Jessica was conceived.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

That's actually extremely stupid though

Whatcha want from me I didn't write it!

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've been super excited about the new movie, but now I found out that they completely eliminated Thufir from the new movie, going as far to edit out his parts.

Goddamn it. One of my favorite characters from the book. I am now angry internet man.

Yeah that part hurts my soul. It's perhaps a close second to the reunion of Gurney and Paul, which thank God wasn't erased. I mentioned earlier in the thread but it's a pivotal plot point that the Emperor sends two people in his retinue in a row to kill Paul, the first dying at his feet from loyalty and then the best fighter being knifed in the brain. It drives home a point that Shaddam is completely out of options to contain him.

Plus it's an emotional moment with a crazy amount of time for payoff. Sucks that Dennis did us dirty.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Please don't troll this thread

As a person that read every book, think of the invaluable service I'm providing to repel anyone from reading the prequels.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What’s your take on Chapterhouse and Heretics?

Hi!

Heretics is around when the magic vagina technique is finally surmounted by Duncan using his nascent magic penis technique, which is long after the plot of the extended books turned into an endurance art exercise for me. Everything just became so freewheeling and loving weird.

Reading them chronologically as they were written, I think they overused the trope of a hero being tortured and that giving them super powers. Norma Cenva, then Miles Teg respectively. I can't prove it and my brain is cheese but I think Teg was instrumental is helping to steal the no-ship Ithaca because he was basically superman at that point. Spoiler, Norma is the oracle the guild navigators communicate with to fold space.

More to the point, I think in the later books, Gholas are overused to the point that plot deaths are completely meaningless and literally nobody is erased from the plot unless the authors want it. It's literally this Onion article.
https://www.theonion.com/author-too-much-of-a-pussy-to-kill-off-characters-1819568693

Reading them all I was pretty let down that a Leto II ghola was around and I figured he'd gently caress poo poo up once he was awakened after loving forever and the end was a waste.

Hope this helps op.

Scags McDouglas fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 29, 2024

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

kalel posted:

computer, play back last post

Oh yeah I gotcha. I'll be a big man on the internet and clarify.

I don't want to glorify rape (:mods:) but what I meant by interesting is that the victim had full control over her body and used the opportunity to send the aggressor a nice little present in the form of an incurable disease that made him physically loathsome. It kinda reminds me of those anti-rape barbed condoms but translated to a future fantasy world. It's why I didn't use such words as "good" or "funny" but interesting.

If I'm digging a deeper hole here I'll take the loss. I know I'm tossing out Dune lore in the movie thread that'll never hit the big screen but if you suffer through all of the books, it adds different context to the lives and characters presented to the audience in the films.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

BastardySkull posted:

It's actually three.

You're right. Currently I'm wearing the sash as worst Dune nerd in the thread but you're welcome to pry it from my fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it worth paying the imax premium for dunc part dos? Theater is also further away and more annoying to get to

I'll have a very comprehensive answer for you tomorrow night.