Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

just saw again--did anyone else feel like the lead-up to the close encounter with the worm was originally intended to be silent? I really noticed some jarring ADR like "let me check my compass to make sure we go the right way" and "this is how you do the worm dance" that made me think they added it for the "dummies".

e. also lol that they added a line about "drum sand". it's pretty clear why he panics after stepping on loud sand if you were paying any attention at all.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

HONK

OH NO

HONK

TROMBONE SAND

lol

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ej posted:

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that. Where do you get that the emperor is supposed to be above house feuds? He deliberately provokes the entire plot of the movie. Chani even asks the question at the beginning, "Why would the emperor do this?". With the obliteration of the Atreides, now we know why. Now everyone knows why. There's literally no other explanation. The emperor wanted the Atreides gone, so he took away their rivals toy and gave it to them, then pushed them into a dark alley. The idea that the other houses need to see the emperor holding a smoking gun to be able to accuse him of meddling in inter-house affairs doesn't make any sense to me.

Let me pose a hypothetical: Assume that the emperor's plan worked exactly as intended, there are no survivors, nobody suspects sardaukar were involved, there's no Fremen uprising, spice production goes back to normal, everything is good. A few years or decades pass, and another house becomes the popular lightning-rod house that the Atreides were, and they just so happen to have a feud with whoever currently controls Arrakis. The emperor boots the current controlling house off of Arrakis and offers it to the new popular house. Should they accept?

because it is very obvious that if they turned down their sacred duty or disrespected the emperor's gracious gift they would be crushed with casus belli. why else would they accept the poison chalice?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I think that's partially why the movie did so well for how weird this is for a scifi film. It didn't, outside of a few DRUM SANDS, tediously explain every detail of the world through exposition dumps. Most of the information was visually communicated (the emperors power and majesty demonstrated through a single spacecraft and gigantic ramp) or slowly dripped out in hushed conversations throughout the entire movie if you paid attention. Nothing was focused on long enough to break the spell of the visuals, but it was there in the background informing the whole thing.

Alchenar posted:

I would compare with the first Death Star scene in star wars: you learn there's something called an Emperor, an imperial senate, a rebellion that is gaining support, Regional Governers and Tarkin's plan. You don't understand how any of this actually works in detail and you don't need to, what matters is that you see the Imperial Officers reactions: they're worried about the rebellion, concerned that the Empire doesn't have the resources to maintain direct control of it's territory, not morally concerned about their weapon of mass destruction but are concerned that the plans might reveal a weakness.

I think comparing Dune to the best parts of the first Star Wars is pretty apt.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 22, 2021

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

yeah, LOTR isn't a fantasy novel really. it's a work of literature by a linguist that happens to have fantastical elements. the derivatives that came after established the fantasy genre.

I don't know that scifi has a similar progenitor like fantasy. I know the tropes got codified at some point, but nothing singular like LOTR. Dune has a pretty big influence on what came after, but it's just one of many.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Plato's Republic?

That, Utopia, Arabian Nights in some respects...

It's essentially why I find scifi more compelling then fantasy, the influences come from all over rather then a singular work.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

Why would they need to prove anything? Prove it to who? There’s not some kind of judiciary body with powers over the emperor or checks and balances. The whole thing is that if the Houses think the emperor might use his powers to attack the aristocracy, he’d lose the support of the aristocracy. They don’t have to sue him to see the writing on the wall

right...the emperor hosed up, there are witnesses alive who can testify to his direct involvement (much differently clearly then his tacit approval) which is yet to have consequences but will soon. it isn't exactly an uncommon trope in movies to have a very powerful character act out of hubris. given a major theme of the movie is the failure of prophecy and foresight this is fitting.

the possibility he just opened up with his hubris is general rebellion against his rule, and he better hope that other houses are loyal still.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah like I said, it’s about a lot of really dumb people doing politics, but it’s also not funny. My problem with the movie (and the book) is it’s neither camp, nor politically savvy. I find that really boring. It’s libertarian musings about the inherent corruption of systems of government

but it's directly reflecting feudalism so it's not exactly making anything up.... feudalism was often dumb.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Villeneuve said he's excited to have gotten all of the setting and world building stuff out of the way so he can do a movie that's just all action so while I'm mega hype to see it I'm not expecting that to go any deeper than the first movie.

and it really, really, really shouldn't go deeper then DRUM SANDS

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Yeah I also lol'd whenever I read a line in the book that people called bad writing in the movie

Dune is many wonderful things that I enjoy but "well-written" is not one of them. Herbert wrote like the engineer he was, and it's a miracle it's readable.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ruddiger posted:

HBO removing Dune before thanksgiving weekend was lame. I wanted to get one more rewatch in this weekend.

I'm tempted to :filez: it until I can pick it up in physical form

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Freedom Trails posted:

why did they drop the lush oasis room for some dumb date palms?

subtext is for cowards

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Freedom Trails posted:

Huh. I guess Villanueve is Herbert now? You’d have a point if the movie wasn’t drawn from a book in which the author handles this particular “subtext” in his own way. But it wouldn’t have given us the chance to see Paul prancing around out in the “dangerous” heat of the day in full dress, not breaking a sweat. Or was that the subtext? It ain’t really all that hot?

the subtext is colonialism. they could improve the lives of the people by investing in terraforming as shown later in the abandoned facility but instead they instilled a religious belief that an ostentatious foreign datepalm is holy enough to sacrifice natives too it.

I don't get why you are talking about sweaty Paul or Herbert considering this was a cinematic choice to streamline a book.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 1, 2021

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

but this is about the movie and the creative choices they made to represent the same thing. you could argue that the book made the point better but it sounds like Paul just didn't say "wow I'm thirsty!!!" enough for you which :ok: I guess

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Paolomania posted:

As in the book, the city is in a protected polar region, not in the 2-hours-and-you-are-dead open desert to the south.

and even if that wasn't obvious (which, I don't think it was well communicated), it was clear at the very least that Paul was an arrogant rich fool out surveying his demesne and not listening to the knowledgeable locals. the only people shown to have an intuitive grasp of what life is like and what sacrifices make their life possible are through the interactions his mother and Duncan Idaho have with the fremen servant and fremen leaders respectively. the palm scene is a small scene that helps him and the audience start to understand what desert life is really like.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

HONK

OH NO

HONK

TROMBONE SAND

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I dunno man, a distinct coldness and suppressed human moments is exactly what I remembered from the book. I remember a lot of icy cold grand concepts and that's about it. If anything I thought the way he brought Idaho and Gurney to life was a really nice change. I'd have liked more too but I can't say I disagree with how much screentime they had.

I do agree on the Nolan comparison except in a positive way. Arrival and Interstellar are very similar movies, but Arrival actually had me feeling a little choked up at the end while the end of Interstellar made me angry at how stupid it was and never want to sit through it again.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I saw the movie in theatres twice and couldn't understand the tent scene so it's a legit problem of the movie

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

jeeves posted:

I think the bigger problem with the tent scene was the laffo desert battle, the completely jaring 2008-Iron Man 1 era cgi on his face at the end of it, and the fact that his vision of a jihad is like... two dozen dudes fighting another two dozen

I'm convinced that poo poo was last minute studio notes or something. It looked great until suddenly the face. Utterly bizarre.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

jeeves posted:

Rama works as a scifi novel because nothing is explained at the end of the thing w/r/t the actual aliens and their ship. As it would most likely be in real life, hence the ~hard scifi~ of it

Not really material to make a film about though. Especially in comparison to DUNC’s simple boy-becomes-prophetized-savior heroes journey that made the first book so popular.

They could always go with the sequel novel ending and have the astronauts be abducted by eagleman and jacked off by robots.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's an interesting story, they know they don't own the rights, but their goal was to take this almost mythical art book and share as much of it they could. The animation piece is more of a fan film animatic than anything else.

I can't bring myself to condemn an effort to take something perceived jealously guarded and make it free to view for all, even if the irony is pretty heavy coming from NFT bros. The probably should have checked to see that someone had put the entire book for free online over a decade ago.

thye could have bought it for a 20 thousand tho lmao

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

trailer didn't really capture the alien vibe of the first movie, but I didn't really expect much. love that they doubled down on washing out scenes with feyd lol.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

oh man. I live in a fake city that no longer has a 35mm theatre so I might have to make a trip to see it

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ns for the 70mm :letsgo:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

you know, I hate to say it, but the casting was really weak outside of the Harkonnens.. Timothee, Walken and Zendaya 👎

fun movie but the emotional core was really weak.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Illmade posted:

Nothing against her, but Zendaya in particular was a bad choice. Should have been an Arabic/Middle Eastern actress. It was hilarious how they tried to play off her American accent by saying she was a "Northern" Fremen.

she was super wooden overall. that's a tough challenge given the source so I don't really blame her but drat did they need an unknown weirdo who would really juice those goofball lines.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

kalel posted:

watched it again and idk y'all are crazy. it's incredibly loving good. or maybe it's me, maybe I'm the crazy one.

it was very good. the setpieces and visuals were astonishing and felt like a revelation after years of boring and grounded sci-fi. the thrust of the plot was true to the books and was just as sickening in the end.

I just felt little humanity outside maybe Stilgar in the movie. The fremen depiction at times felt uncomfortably stereotyped and hordelike (yeah I'm aware) and Paul's middle period of his character arc between bratty nerd and dictator, felt muddy. Chani was supposed to fill this gap but her emoting came across as a high school crush who was pouting, to me.

Maybe I just have a tin ear for Villeneuve because I've had this feeling from all of his work. And maybe it's ok for Dune to feel alien like that.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

Part of the issue with excising the navigators guild as a whole is that they play a huge role in the 'the south is uninhabitable' bit. The fremen have been bribing them with smuggled spice to stop them from orbiting spy sats or letting anyone get a good view on what could be going on down there. In the movies it makes the Harks look like even bigger dumbasses when the baron has to say b b b but everyone knows no one can live in the South!

On same subject, I was hoping for some visual distinctiveness in the south that we didn't get. The movie is kinda in hurry up mode already at that point and we do get a storm wall when crossing INTO the south but once there skies are mostly just blue from my memory.

it's fine tbh. the only thing that jarred me out of the flow of movie watching was the random ornithopter flying in literal seconds after everyone else took an epicly long worm subway trip. it did not need the complication of the navigator's guild. it's ok for the Harkonnens to look incompetent and arrogant because they were established to be so the entire movie.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Honestly I just think everyone who engages with Dune should know that a key part of the setting is that space travel is done by a group of mutant fish people

True, I will never downplay how great Lynch's vision of Dune space travel was.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

While I didn't particularly dislike her, I was reminded of the quip Sergio Leone made about Clint Eastwood: "He only had two facial expressions: one with the hat and one without it". Zendaya has one with the scowl and one without it.

yea the face acting was what really stuck out on second viewing even though I warmed to her quite a bit more then before.

it does say a lot, though, that a big budget sci-fi movie has only 1-2 of the actors feeling weak or undercooked. Javier Bardem in particular was outstanding in his subtlety. Transitioning from warm mentor to cold fanatic just using his eyes and speech patterns was incredible.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the knife fight was great because it felt like a real knife fight. no one escapes from serious injuries in a knife fight and there's no fancy tricks, just brutal stabbing.

even caught some awesome grip switches mid fight from feyd which is a rare addition in the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

distortion park posted:

Sicario is his best imo, that border crossing scene and the bit in the tunnel where it's just the Americans unloading into rooms you can't see, horrifying stuff. Makes me think a bit of the raid at the end of Zero Dark Thirty where the special ops people look like weird alien things from a horror movie, just lights bobbing in the darkness.

it's a very specific style of filmmaking and I don't always crave it, but I love the cold detached style he pulls off. It's so wildly alien in the end product.