Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Having slept on DUNE II my main note is that the OG Dune should've been adapted as a trilogy of 2.5 hour movies instead of two 3 hour movies. You really need some time skips to make things feel like they're happening at a realistic place. You could've had the second being all about Paul becoming Fremen but rejecting the prophecy until his son dies, the Harkonnen attacks become more brutal, and he realizes he cannot keep his family safe without exterminating his enemies. Everything would've flowed better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Thufir is weird because it seems like they were setting it up in Pt.1.

I think Villeneuve is wary of introducing too many factions at once so Atredies, Harkonnen, Bene Gesserit and the Sardukar are put in the first. And the second has Corrino and Fremen along with a deeper dive into Harkonnen.

Films move a lot faster than novels so the thinking was it would become impossible to keep track of all these factions and their moves in such a short time. It might also be that they're hoping to save some of the CHOAM and guild stuff for Messiah

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Carillon posted:

One question, maybe spoilers, but I had to step out of the film when Lady Margot Fenring watches Feyd-Rautha fight. I came back right after the scene ends in his chambers. What if anything did I miss? I don't think it was much, and could infer by context she's pregnant? But is there anything else?

She tested him the same way Paul was tested and confirmed he had the same potential as kwisatz haderach but was also able to be controlled more easily by the BG.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Because living in a desert drinking piss sucks

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The ornithopters were shielded. Blasting a shield with a laser can cause a reaction that is equal to a nuclear weapon going off. Gotta take them out first if you don't want to kill everyone around. Same reason everyone's always using swords.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I saw a digital version of a new Dune boardgame on steam yesterday. Looked totally inscrutable

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cleopatra's time was closer to the Moon landing than the construction of the great pyramids. Humanity, Egypt especially is way older than most people can reckon with.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Their whole aesthetic is a combination of ostentatious luxury and militarism. The Harkonnens are reminiscent of Nazi Germany and dark cyberpunk poo poo and Atredies a sort of lawful good military aesthetic reminiscent of the quote unquote good guys in wars. Thurifs uniform is basically a British WWI general uniform for instance

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Walken comes off worse to me because De Niro just came off one of his best performances ever in a supporting role. I didn't hate how Walken did it, and I thought it made sense for how the Empire was depicted, but he wasn't bringing heat

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He just got his throat cut I think

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They pulled it off the Criterion Channel just to spite me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

This fan edit of Lynch Dune is the definitive version of the movie imo, if you look online you can download it in higher quality than YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faHQA_0d9Mo

Hmmm, I might give that a watch, but I've never seen Lynch Dune, or any Lynch for that matter and kind of wanted to see the theatrical release first so I'm not biased against what I can only assume is some monumental studio meddling.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Even at the end he tries to avoid the Jihad by asking the Great Houses to surrender and take his marriage to Irulan and assumption of the throne without conflict, this doesn't work of course.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Better than the last film

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantropa

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're going all the way.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Like, Brian all the way? :ohdear:

2032, Dune Prelude: The Butlerian Jihad coming to theatres near you.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I liked Dune 2, seeing it again made me love it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Harkonnens outgun the Fremen. He needs the element of surprise and can't have two newbies accidentally giving away the group's position. They drew away the Harks to the tower with the thumper anyways and should have been able to kill them all up there, they didn't perhaps because their bear fighter just got killed by an offworlder.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

John DiFool posted:

Leto II Did Nothing Wrong

That's right

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zendaya is a good movie star and a poor actress

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's literally prescient

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I hope the Book of the New Sun never gets adapted so I never have to see the discourse around it degrade as much as it has with Dune.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Half the people "discussing" have never read the books

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dune the novel is many times more complex in its themes and plotting than the films. It should give you a much deeper appreciation of what Herbert was doing with the series and how impressive it is that Villeneuve managed to adapt the work so well despite the many cuts. The negative is that Herbert is not a great writer, Villeneuve made a movie that is in the top ten percent of visuals for the medium, Herbert wrote a book that's prose barely hangs in the genre space it inhabits. There's an almost comical overuse of internal asides and Herbert's desire to make understood his world means there is very tiring exposition around every corner.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's never mentioned in the films so it's hard to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You know drat well that isn't the Herbert people care about the opinions of