Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So it's Har-ke-nen, not Har-ko-nen, and Benny Gesserit and not Bean Gesserit?

It was wise not to have the Baron as a depraved homosexual. There's no need to have shorthand for villainy with a character who is already a villain.

I find it hard to believe Jessica could have a kid after this experience. All that stress and the 'thopter crash would have turned the foetus into a fine paste.

Since Paul makes Arrakis his home then he'd better brown like a motherfucker by the next movie.

The only redundant part is the glimpse of Chani over and over again.

It's good to have CGI that evokes all the cool poo poo you'd see on a book-cover or concept-art. Shang-Chi was so loving wretched by the end that it sapped my will to enjoy anything by comparison.

We didn't see any worms cough up any spice yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How far back did people realise how much Foundation blows? There's very little to the series but an ideology that doesn't hold up. No real characters or setting to speak of.

While the english translation is iffy in parts and the sexism of the narrator annoying, the Legend of the Galactic Heroes definitely holds up as a space-opera that doesn't poo poo itself in the last leg like Star Wars or Mass Effect. It's 10 books long but most of them barely reach 250 pages in length.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Imagine if this movie had the same producer as Dear Evan Hansen, which means casting his very adult son Ben Platt as the teenage lead. With all the makeup to hide his creases he'd look scarier than the Baron. Though he would be suited to play a sandworm.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So, video game adaptations. Where could we go using only the official book canon (gently caress off Brian and KJA) and the new movies style and presentation?

RTS is an obvious choice though niche, but what could be Dune's Arkham Asylum or Shadow of Mordor? Something that draws from across the source into a package that is stand-alone and approachable?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I believe the notion that the Reverend Mother is Jessica's bio-mother only appears in the scribblings of the Pair Who Must Not Be Named. Not in the canon.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only series that turned out alright with a live author taking over from a late one, was what, Brandon Sanderson on the Wheel of Time? That series had a poo poo-ton of issues but at least the conclusion was plotted beforehand and the new author had the good sense not be Kevin J Anderson.

I wonder if the Name of the Wind could be pawned onto someone else as the neckbeard who wrote it is still alive, but has a severe case of the lazies (Book 1- 2007, Book 2-2011, Book 3-2049)

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 5, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Theres an entire act full of swerves and character deaths cramped into the last chapter alone. The book easily needed another 100 pages.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dibs on the mass making GBS threads scene.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm impressed that Julia Roberts will play the sandworm without the aid of special-effects.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Denis Villeneuve earns my eternal gratitude for tastefully demoting Alia's role, and executing the climax far better than the book.

Some characters and concepts exist in the Tom Bombadil zone, where they simply can't be faithfully depicted without the audience being weirded out or laughing for the wrong reasons.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The emperor is irrelevant since he is an aging patsy in a vulnerable position. The authority he wields is like a director who's name gets dropped in relation to a successful but old movie he made, ignoring any work he's done since.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dune was a landmark book because it had a meaty and thought out setting and conflict. Compared to thinly sketched crap like Foundation, it was a revelation. The narration hopping is confusing and the last act is rushed, but it otherwise works.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Answered before, but was the official coverup for the purge of Atreides? Read the book when I still had hope in my eyes, and the first movie back on release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is there a public display of censuring on the empires part, or is it supposed to be an open secret to everybody?