Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

When did they talk about Paul's prophecy being manufactured by the BG in the film? I missed it.

It was part of a conversation that Paul has with Jessica, I believe right after Reverend Mother Poochie flies away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Thursday Next posted:

Also, I did get that Spice is used for space travel, but I don't know how. They said it was how interstellar travel was possible, but if they explained more than that I missed it. I don't think I needed to know that, though.

It was just a 1-sentence summary in one of Paul's documentary things, just saying the spacing guild needs it in order to find safe routes for the journey. Also the Baron does refer to Jessica as Leto's concubine, which by itself might've seemed like an insult but paired together with that "should've married you" line from earlier makes it all make sense.

Honestly I'm kind of glad they went sparse with the explanations, that was the only thing I wish was different with Blade Runner 2049, the way it had so many flashbacks in K's mind. I would've preferred him to just be brooding in his car, we already know what he's thinking about.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Captain von Trapp posted:

big bear-type thing, can imitate the voice of its victims

ah, so this is where the critter in Annihilation comes from

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

ruddiger posted:

Can’t stop thinking about that shot of baron harkonen floating up and elongating out of focus while Duke Leto was laid out like a Caravaggio painting.

Movie was good.

Villeneuve loves that trick, calling visual attention to something that's purposely out of focus (especially when it comes to lights, e.g. status indicator light)

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I feel like that's gotta be more than a theory, like as the herald is calling out who's in attendance, the camera is panning such that they're appearing as their title is spoken.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I know it's supposed to be the setting sun and all, but the color is a little bit too close to that Laugh Factory logo, made famous by Kramer.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Been trying to decide if I should make my first viewing at the normal-sized arthouse, where I know the other viewers will know how to behave themselves during a movie, or see it first in IMAX (a true, full-sized full-everything IMAX), where there's a higher risk of people being obnoxious. There's no other factor other than I have to wait until next week, at earliest, for the IMAX one, since it's sold out.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I finally got to see this in ultra for-real IMAX, after getting delayed by being sick, and yeah it looked and especially sounded quite nice in that experience. I never read any of the books, so I don't have any particular feelings towards what was removed or modified, but the movie itself did feel a little bit brisk to me. It's one of the few movies where I wished it was a little bit longer. Maybe if instead of being 2:45 it was like 3:30 that might have been enough additional lingering for me, I don't know. I just saw Zone of Interest the other day and that was almost completely the opposite in terms of pacing. It's only 1:45 but it felt like a 3 hour movie. I guess the first movie felt like everything was moving really fast too, up until the Harkonnen attack, even though we can infer from dialogue that everything was taking place over the course of several months. That line in Dune 1 where Leto says something like "I thought we had more time" came to mind as I could tell the movie's conclusion was approaching.

One thing which I don't think anyone has said in the thread yet on the topic of in-universe pacing. People have said how everything needs to take place in less than 9 months since Jessica is pregnant in Dune 1 and also the whole time in Dune 2. But, the Bene Gesserit are said to have this incredible level of biological body control, to the point that they can just mentally decide whether they're going to have a boy or girl, apparently right at the moment of conception. So, to me, it's not an enormous stretch to imagine that it's actually more than 9 months, and Jessica's purposefully making her pregnancy take longer, due to Reasons. Maybe it's part of some Fremen superstition she's exploiting, maybe it's easier to keep a baby safe inside of her than externally in the harsh Arrakis environment, etc. Maybe she's not even doing it on purpose, maybe it's another effect of the Water of Life, obviously it already did a lot of crazy things, enough that the previous reverend mother was like "oh poo poo whoops."

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Let's face it, Feyd probably found the Gom Jabbar to be the hottest foreplay he's had in his life

Feyd instantly nuts during the Gom Jabbar before Fenring can spermjack him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Kedzie posted:

My wife went in for a medical procedure that required her to be put under. She immersed herself in Dune content beforehand in hopes of having a tripped out Dune dream while under the influence. I knew she was my soul mate before, but now...! (sadly I don't think she had any Dune visions in the end)

Every time I've ever been knocked out, there's just nothing, no dreams, no memory of them anyway. It's basically just like watching a video that you can tell is discontinuous because it cuts to a completely different set piece in a single frame.