Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

i like skarsgard as harkonnen but he's not nearly gross enough

was kinda disappointing when he popped up out of his oil bath after getting a face full of poison gas and wasn't super hosed up looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I am irrationally annoyed that "Dune" is apparently the true name of the planet that the original Zetsunni proto-Fremen came up with and "Arrakis" is the name the colonialists came up with. It should be the opposite!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah it's kinda weird that the movies have been so careful to avoid explicitly linking spice production to the worms. Wonder if it just has something to do with only intending it to be three movies since I guess that would all start becoming more relevant if they got into God-Emperor stuff.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Look at the end of the day I think we can all agree that we need a director's cut where we see Austin Butler stick his dick in the pain box.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah it feels like DV is designing each part to be a greater revalation of antagonist , i.e. Harkonnen>Emperor>Guild , which ties nicely into Messiah. From internecine rivalry to the Empire to the systems undergirding the mechanism of imperialism itself.

But I fully agree there should have been some more sprinkling of the Guild into part 2. Maybe in the Directors Cut that DV swears he will not do but maybe someday when the full trilogy is on BluRay... Allow me my dreams.

Dune '84 actually does this pretty well with basically two short scenes - one with the navigator popping in to tell the Emperor what's going on / that spice production is potentially threatened, and a second where the guild representatives show up and say "sort this out now or we're throwing your rear end in the torment nexus."

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I have no idea why but for some reason Feyd's facial expressions during the arena fight kept reminding me of Christian Bale lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Does the book ever explain why the Fremen are such good fighters anyway? Paul says they've been fighting the Harkonnens for decades, and while I can buy them being very, very good at ambushes / hit and run stuff, the "effortlessly rinsing Sardaukar in hand-to-hand combat" part always felt weird. Like why even bother with asymmetrical warfare if there's millions of you and you could easily just get close to Arakeen and massacre anyone who isn't a Fremen with virtually no resistance? Does the spice exposure give them some very limited precognition or something? I haven't read the books in drat near two decades so I've forgotten most of it, but I do seem to remember the books eventually backtrack on it and make the Sardaukar decent shock troops with good PR rather than unstoppable elite soldiers.