Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'll always maintain that the Lynch Dune is a bad adaptation of the book, but a loving awesome movie in and of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I thought Leto was totally fine as Niander Wallace, it's just that Wallace was kind of a bad character to begin with.

Like, that's the thing about Leto that I notice. He's not a bad actor by any means and, if he has good material, he can actually do really remarkably well with it. But he just keeps being given the absolute worst material, and in roles that should be easy slam-dunks like "being the new Joker" or "being the new Tyrell in the Blade Runner sequel." I don't hate him the way some people do because this really clearly isn't his fault; I'm not sure if this is Hollywood actively trying to dunk on him or if he's just very, very unlucky.

e: With Wallace, for example, if he'd actually mattered beyond just occasionally showing up to stop the movie dead and twirl his mustache, it would have been fine. Hell, cut out everything with him on-camera except his scene with Deckard and he suddenly works a lot better. Villenueve just used a heavy hand where a light touch would have been preferable.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 30, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rando posted:

Then he and/or his agents suck at choosing roles that suit him.

The roles are all good on paper, though. Joker has typically been a character where whoever plays him gets to put on an acting masterclass. Niander Wallace is a successor of sorts to one of the more memorable supporting characters in the original BR. Any actor would be batshit crazy to turn those down, and yet, when Leto gets these kinds of roles, it's when everyone else decides it's time for that character to be some low effort garbo.

e: Like, this is why you should read entire posts instead of just deciding everything after the part you wanted to respond to doesn't matter.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 31, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

David D. Davidson posted:

I'm still not entirely sold on Momoa.
Dude's hot. But he needs to be "So hot women cum just by watching him scale a cliff" hot.

I mean, I'm not really sure who you could pick who would be better for that than Momoa. Maybe Idris Elba?