Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meganisoptera

dragonflies on Earth have had over 2 foot wingspans in the past and they were barely made out of metal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

disposablewords posted:

It's also to tell the audience about Feyd, quite literally during her debriefing afterward. It's doing a dual job of showing the BGs trying to keep their own plates spinning while establishing some details about this guy who is supposed to be Paul's dark twin but doesn't get enough time to really show it.

also right afterward Paul drops the bomb out of nowehere that Jessica is Vladimir's daughter, so Fenring's scene directly illustrates to the audience how something like that could just happen

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

maybe they shave to maximize vitamin D production in low light or something

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

*trying as hard as I can to get it adapted* Blindsight by Peter Watts is weird, dense and unfilmable!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Scags McDouglas posted:

Yeah I've never thought about it but it seems recursive to follow the rules necessary to obtain a position of power you've just stolen. First decree, nobody gives a poo poo about whether I marry anyone.

Paul is concerned with building an army of fanatics who worship him, and not all of those people are Fremen. He still has to perform certain rites to unlock the fanaticism in his imperial subjects

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

MrMojok posted:

Saw it for the third time today. In terms of visuals and audio, it’s a treat unlike anything I’ve seen since Fury Road.

when that ornithopter flew into a dust cloud and exploded I was half expecting this theme to start playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGgccRlU6aM

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Tree Bucket posted:

It's a weird detail, isn't it. The Fremen know the desert, and respect it, and find it beautiful (sometimes) but also kinda hate it and want it gone and replaced with a green paradise where a man need never again utter the phrase "urine and feces are processed in the thigh pads."
I want to see those Harkonnen environmentalist ads.

Are you another of these desert-loving Englishman?

No Arab loves the desert - we love water and green trees. There is nothing in the desert!

No man needs nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy6Ktqouw34

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

kalel posted:

it could be ancestral knowledge or mind reading (both of which jessica is demonstrated to have access to), but paul can also see the future. so it's possible he just said the combination of words which would lead to those dudes bowing to him.

the powers granted by spice/water of life are deliberately ill-defined, even moreso in the films than the books. it's one of the things that works to make paul/jessica seem more alien and sinister. audiences have been conditioned by the likes of star wars for the fantasy/sci-fi characters to have cool, well-defined super powers to support their characterization as the hero. the subversion in dunc is that you don't really know what paul is capable of.

It must be a living hell to occupy the present moment in such a condition. you have an immense library of knowledge that enables you to extrapolate anything, but you also don't really need to do that because you also have access to any possible future where you might have to make use of that knowledge, so you know a thing from two directions.