Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

It's been a minute since I've seen such unanimous praise, especially for a spaceman movie. Robbie Collins is the critic I tend to agree with the most and his review was essentially :gizz:

I'm probably gonna cry when I eventually see this on a real big screen. Probably because I will be blazed as fuk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's not getting unanimous praise unfortunately.

Ah well, just in my Twitter bubble then. Either way, I'm :stoked:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mantis42 posted:

It was a joke, I would never pay money to see capeshit.

Cool bro cool

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I get it, most of that superhero poo poo is cringe or corny as hell, and the fanboys for that stuff are disgusting freaks. But its just like getting mad about Barney

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hodgepodge posted:

It still bugs me that the great secret to breaking Suk School conditioning is... threatening a loved one with torture.

drat now that pisses me off too. I guess I was misremembering like the Suk doctors had to have no living family or something, and the wife was from before he entered the Suk School, but kept imprisoned for years, but after Googling that's not apparently the case... Ah well

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

The Fremen religion being deliberately manufactured, was that in the first book?

Yes. And Paul has a bunch of meandering visions about becoming Muad'dib and being the god icon of a galactic jihad.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Herbert only alluded to the boylust in his novel, whereas Orson Scott Card really developed on the theme. Arthur C Clarke avoided the topic entirely in his writing, not wanting to mix his work and his pleasure

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

AnEdgelord posted:

If by "alluded to" you mean the baron telling his people to prepare "a boy for his chamber", specifying the one that he selected because he looked like paul and a few sentences of the baron fantasizing about loving paul

Yeah, basically. Again, OSC wrote chapters of that poo poo, and like, naked boys wrestling in the shower for important plot reasons

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Perestroika posted:

Huh, somehow I'd always assumed that "Bene Gesserit" would be pronounced with a hard g, as in "guess".

Villeneuve clearly correctly pronounces it as "gif"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

SixFigureSandwich posted:

suks to be yueh

Thread title when?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Odoyle posted:

Anybody else bringing buckets of ground cinnamon with them to the theatres?

Yes, but I've been doing that for years

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

flashy_mcflash posted:

I got to see this on Saturday and I thought it was terrific. It's perfectly cast and the way Villeneuve's crafted the sets and the costumes and everything else just feels right. I'm also pretty cynical about this movie doing anything but losing a fuckload of money and Villeneuve not being able to make any more, which loving sucks.

Chalamet is great and in maybe his best performance since Call Me By Your Name, but to me Rebecca Ferguson was the real star. Everyone else is doing what they can with relatively limited screen time, but Bardem's Stilgar is perfect when he's onscreen and I really appreciated how not-cartoonish and genuinely menacing the Baron is here.

I really hope I'm wrong and people give this one a chance. It's loving stunning in IMAX.

Nice TIFF humblebrag. J/k.

Haha how did I totally blank that Javier Bardem is in this too

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

dr_rat posted:

You think that but then bam, bit of something in your eye at the start of the movie, and suddenly you can't see the screen through fluttering eyes and flowing tears.

It's so other people can't see you cry when Shai Hulud appears

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

phasmid posted:

I am going to kill you all.

*rails a fat line of the spice melange*: no you won't, you're gonna jerk it to catgirl hentai and then take a nap.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Libluini posted:

I should warn you my old cat did exactly this, she really liked walking/jumping on my keyboard at the most inopportune moments to cause maximum embarassment on IRC and SA.

[BANNED FOR ACCOUNT SHARING]

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jewmanji posted:

It’s pronounced “Keev”, not “key-ev”

It's pronounced "Kyiv"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Xealot posted:

Is the Baron still a bloated, sadistic pedophile in a repulsor-lift Baby Bjorn? Because yeah, the premise is pretty ridiculous.

I mean sure but then...Trump

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
:ironicat: aside, where does this "copy-paste" thing come from? The movie doesn't seem at all like any previous adaptations. I know, I'm overthinking fake bot reviews

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Libluini posted:

. But suddenly, with movies it's their identity at threat???

Seems like you understand it perfectly

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Wizchine posted:

Sounds like a microfiche to me.

A microfiche reader that identifies the person in front of it and then supplies the relevant information about them? No, that's a computer, don't be like this, this is a sensible thread

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kurzon posted:

Does Villeneuve hate light and color? Dune looks a lot like Sicario and Blade Runner 2049.

In the same way that Caravaggio hates light and colour.

Perhaps you'd prefer a blue robot fighting an orange robot

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Ha ha ha

Eat poo poo america

I think all the Anglophone countries are getting at the same time tho? Guess we can all eat poo poo.

E: lol looks like it's not opening in Australia til December (lockdowns permitting I guess) so they will continue to eat more poo poo than anywhere else

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 22, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Or bulbs are dying

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Steen71 posted:

And back in the 80s and 90s it'd sometimes be half a year. In Denmark we got T2 a full five months after the US release.

By which point, the T1000 as a bad guy was already in the public consciousness, fully ruining the T2 "twist" (which had already been ruined by some of the marketing, the GnR video, and the fact that Robert Patrick looks creepy as poo poo).

A few years ago I forced my girlfriend to a cinema double bill of The Terminator and T2, and she was actually pretty :aaa: at the reveal, which was wild

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'd just like to give a big Shadout to my girl Mapes

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sean10mm posted:

What old sci fi writer wasn't wierd about sex?

Honestly, it's just a relief when they're not obvious pedos,the bar is low

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't remember Clark or Asimov being that weird about sex.

Except in real life, of course

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Arglebargle III posted:

Neither of them have anything on Heinlein, and the less said about James Joyce the better.

To my knowledge Joyce was just a fart fetishist wifeguy. Not exactly the same thing as Clarke hunting for boys in Sri Lanka, or Asimov harassing everything that moved.

E: also it's more true to say that Asimov kept his creepiness out of his fiction writing only, since he wrote a book called The Sensuous Dirty Old Man :ohno:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That's a pretty rad outfit ngl

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
All I'm getting from this is that everything after the original Dune book is Star Wars EU at best and Zybourne Clock fanfic at worst

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Forums username Adult Beefswelling

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard Presents: Dune

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Eason the Fifth posted:

Still blows my mind that either or both of these came out during the era depicted in Mad Men.

Yeah but in the culture at the time these were niche products for ur-goons, weirdos, and children. The mainstream was neo-suburbanites getting really excited by a new Dave Brubeck record and ordering a pair of chinos from the Sears catalog

Now thanks to Disney this poo poo is the coin of the cultural realm and you have like... presidential candidates saying Wakanda Forever

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lutha Mahtin posted:

hans zimmer is really good at being "inspired" by musical themes from other sources. he's so good at it that he got sued by the estate of gustav holst for a song in the gladiator soundtrack sounding a bit too much like "mars" from the planets. he is also a huge dune nerd so it wouldn't be too surprising if he is familiar with the games

At least Zimmer was intentionally ripping off Mars in a context that made sense (Rome, war, terror), whereas John Williams has just sailed on stealing from Holst for his entire career

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Neo Rasa posted:

They could have done the dinner scene but just had everyone milling around mixing instead of sitting at a table, then you could have all of that be spoken dialogue between characters as they pass by or whatever.

Once again I'm glad goons don't make movies

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dr.Radical posted:

I gotta be honest. I brought in a half pint of whiskey and drank it pretty fast and every time I took a pull I had a big gulp of coke with it so consequently I had to take a BIG piss during the last 30 minutes so I’m pretty mad about the 5 minutes I missed and will be giving this movie a 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Just lmao if you don't wear a giant diaper to the screening and tell people that you're theme dressing

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bad Bad Office lmao

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

Sopranos is practically a comedy and there's nothing funny in the entire flick. Can't imagine how bad an entire prequel series would be.

I hooted when they said the varsity athlete line. Hooted and hollered

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

GORDON posted:

As does Pahd-ish-AH. I didn't like the linguistic changes. And the 1984 movie had better language. "Remove my son's bonds." "Cattle and loveplay." "This is fitted desert fashion/it seemed the proper way."

I think the first and last are direct book quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m 1hr 10min into watching Dune 1984 for the first time and anyone who thinks it’s good much less better than Dune 2021 is high on spice. This movie is trash.

Honestly it looks really cool, but if it wasn't directed by David Lynch it would have no fanboy cachet and would be remembered the same way as like Flash Gordon or Barbarella