Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Neo Rasa posted:

[futuristic lamentation music]

I think this is literally the title of Gary Numan's next album. They should have just had him do the soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Paul: Spice is everywhere on Arrakis, Mother, can you smell it?
Lady Jessica: *cough cough* No. *cough*

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

They are going to resurrect Miguel Ferrer to be Feyd.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Hasselblad posted:

It would be more like potential drug manufacturers not bothering to investigate where this super drug that provides prescience and extends life comes from. Did they all just shrug and accept that it magically appears on top of the sand on a single planet with only 2 notable life forms?

The deep desert isn't exactly an ideal laboratory condition. Just surviving in the desert is challenging without trying to do long-term experiments. Like, at some point someone probably tried radio-tagging worms to track them, but how long is a radio transmitter going to work being dragged through sand? Studying the worm life-cycle would require being in the desert long-term, and the Fremen are more than capable of destroying a research station if they don't want it there.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

What was the official public reason for the Emperor giving Arakkis to the Atreides? Did he claim the Harkonnens weren't producing enough spice, or what?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I get what OP is saying: "extremely expensive" covers everything from "a few less oil rejuvenations this year" to "it bankrupt the house and we have 30 days to make more spice before the emperor sends us to the Bone Zone."

It's right in between 'ouch' and 'boiiiiiing'.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, the Car Stereo Test needs to be a thing for film audio as well. (Also some equivalent for visuals in film/TV so nothing like the Battle of Winterfell is ever allowed to happen again.) It's good when people can see and hear things unless you really need to obscure something.

We used to watch movies on third generation copies of VHS transfers with our crappy analog TV, and the picture was so bad it was like listening to the radio. It's really disappointing to have the same experience on with DVD on a high-definition TV.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

I know he's dead, but I vote Pat Morita for Emperor.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

DeimosRising posted:

That’s funny, I’ve always thought the setting of dune, with its absurd economics and warfare, seemed very small. Notionally there are trillions of people or whatever, but they lose a war to a couple thousand mega ninjas. Incidentally that’s also how I feel about lotr, where the paucity of economics makes the whole thing obviously fake. It’s confusing to me that these two books are so famous for their “world building”

All this poetry and linguistic nuance is boring! It needs more people sitting around discussing bond interest rates and tariffs!

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

It makes me want to ban them from all entertainment until their attention span is able to recover.

Just goes back to what Scorsese said. These "newer" pieces of poo poo aren't films. They're amusement at best. Pure dopamine rushes without any artistic merit.

The industry has always churned out plenty movies like that. The vast majority of them are justifiably forgotten, but people went to theaters to watch them for amusement. There's a poo poo-ton of classical music that's forgettable garbage too, and most of it is never played anymore. We only remember the Mozarts and Beethovans.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

FBS posted:

please don't try to film God Emperor tia

Oops, I was trying to make a sandwich but filmed God Emperor by mistake.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Robin as Shadout Mapes

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Your boob windows are fitted desert-fashion. Who taught you how to do this?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Scarabrae posted:

Wonder if Paul will be handed Jamis’s wife and kids, assuming that’s cut out lol

Played by Anya Taylor-Joy

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

BastardySkull posted:

Is there any facsimile or exploration of the idea that Paul can't fully see the future yet, particularly because the one person he couldn't see (Count Fenring) appears to have been written out?

I've read the book three times and have no memory of this character. Am I the kwisatz haderach?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

He should have cut Arrakis and just had the story take place on Caladan.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Saw it on Imax today. Pretty satisfying overall but I didn't like the way the knife fights were shot. I've seen 80's grindhouse movies with better knife fights than this. Frequent cutting to closeups of people's faces is how a lesser director would cover for the actors' inability to do decent fight choreography. I don't need to be reminded which two characters are fighting. There's a reason NFL games aren't filmed through inward-facing helmet cams.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is a theme that, no matter the circumstances, a KH would be impossible to actually control in practice and both Paul and his son laugh at the BG for thinking they could, even if they have rather charitable views towards the organisation as a whole. (also that gender essentialism is kinda built into the metaphysics of Dune, unfortunately, though in a funny 60s way. It's seriously ahead of its time as a 60s sci-fi story where women are complete characters with intelligence, agency and personalities of their own)

Is also a theme that despite Jessica and Paul really not being bad people by most standards- I'd call them reasonable and personally kind, and if you presented them with a problem they'd do their best to help- by fulfilling the roles that society presents for them in order to survive, they end up being and enabling MegaSpaceHitler simply by completing the path of the Hero's Journey.

One of the themes, intentional or not, is that no one with any degree of power in this story is a "good" person. Nice to a few select loyal friends perhaps, but everyone including the Atreides were constantly manipulating others for their own purposes and didn't think twice about having innocent people killed. Everyone has blood on their hands. You don't become a major house by being a good person.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

single-mode fiber posted:

One thing which I don't think anyone has said in the thread yet on the topic of in-universe pacing. People have said how everything needs to take place in less than 9 months since Jessica is pregnant in Dune 1 and also the whole time in Dune 2. But, the Bene Gesserit are said to have this incredible level of biological body control, to the point that they can just mentally decide whether they're going to have a boy or girl, apparently right at the moment of conception. So, to me, it's not an enormous stretch to imagine that it's actually more than 9 months, and Jessica's purposefully making her pregnancy take longer, due to Reasons. Maybe it's part of some Fremen superstition she's exploiting, maybe it's easier to keep a baby safe inside of her than externally in the harsh Arrakis environment, etc. Maybe she's not even doing it on purpose, maybe it's another effect of the Water of Life, obviously it already did a lot of crazy things, enough that the previous reverend mother was like "oh poo poo whoops."

After 25 years of gestation, she gives birth to a fully grown woman.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Failed Imagineer posted:

Exactly what I thought watching it, which is funny since part1 has multiple discussions about her pregnancy, and part2 ALSO does the "holding my abdomen meaningfully" visual cue and talks about the baby being OK like 30 seconds before the vomiting AND has an early in utero Alia scene via Paul-o-vision.

But then again, audiences are stupid, it is known.

We hear Alia use the voice on Jessica, "You. Crave. Pickles."

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Attack of the Clones ends with "Begun, the clone wars have" and I'm pretty sure the last line in this is "the holy war has begun" :thunk:

Don't forget the scene where the Baron says "Nooooooo" and throws the Emperor down an airshaft a worm.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Now I can't stop thinking about how the final duel in The Good, The Band, and The Ugly would have been so much better if, instead of cutting to a wide shot to show who shot who, it just kept flipping between extreme close-ups for another 30 seconds over the sound of gunshots and a body hitting the ground. Missed opportunity, Sergio.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Tree Bucket posted:

The more I see it, the more I love the nuke reveal scene- just the general superstitious awe and dread with which everyone looks at these ancient artefacts with the power to end the world. Sometimes I forget how profoundly creepy nukes really are.

That's why they had to hide them in the Forbidden Zone. I think it would be neat if in the books there was some weird cult of people devoted to nuclear bombs, and every House had their own little clan of them looking after their family nukes.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

uber_stoat posted:

as much as i would love to see Worm God on the big screen i hope they stop after three. seems likely unless some rear end in a top hat tries to turn it into Star Wars.

I want an animated Fremen Babies spin-off series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Paul didn't care about the survival of all humanity, and why should he? Why should that be the one true objective for which any means necessary is acceptable? Species come and go, who cares? Paul's father did the right and noble thing by dying.
Also who said that humanity is at risk of being wiped out? Oh right, the worm emperor guy who claims he's also the only hope to prevent it. Sure let's trust that guy.