Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

BastardySkull posted:

Is there any facsimile or exploration of the idea that Paul can't fully see the future yet, particularly because the one person he couldn't see (Count Fenring) appears to have been written out?

I don't remember that. can Paul not see Fenring because Fenring was a failed Haderach? Wss I supposed to take the implication this could happen to Paul against Feyd as well? I missed a lot when I first read the books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Vegetable posted:

Villeneuve movies never have great casting. Gosling in BR2049 was uninspired — simply an echo of his Drive persona. Renner and Adams were decent in Arrival but come on, could you pick two more milquetoast actors?

Here, Walken is one of the worst casting decisions in a blockbuster I’ve seen in a while. That said I think Pugh is gonna be incredible in the sequel, where her role will presumably be larger.

His casting in Enemy and Polytech is fantastic

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I watch a pretty heavy amount of action movies so was really disappointed in the hand to hand combat in the first Dune and thought this was a step up in quality, partially helped by the lack of shields (since they had no idea what to do with them). I do think Villenevue's greatest failure in these movies is that he can't tell a story with action choreography, and the larger scale fights are a huge disappointment and reduce the Fremen to only being able to win via ambushes/surprise tactics, outside of a very few glamour fight scenes like Chani at the end. And that's in opposition to Duncan/Gurney hyping them up in dialogue.

I actually thought the finale was the best fight in either movie, just because I could fill in the blanks on what was happening even though it wasn't visually clear.

That being said, Villenevue's visuals are across the board outstanding, especially his takes on anything novel/unique to the setting. So it's a trade I'd take every day of the week since I can go see knife fighting in a lot of other movies but zero sandworm riding, unique brutalist spaceships, or excellent costume design.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

well why not posted:

The doubt about Villeneuve being “not an action director” is unfounded. BR2049 has incredible action scenes, they’re just really short outside of the finale. Think about K getting pulled out of the spinner, or when he smashes through the wall. Iconic stuff.

Sicario is also packed with action, it’s just approached through the Villeneuve lens of “violence is terrifying”. The border crossing is the perfect example.

He's a fantastic action director when it isn't about choreography. Both dune movies have incredible battle scenes. It's just the actual knife fighting stuff is just notably less good than everything else across the board. If it weren't for the books talking so much about the details I'd probably never have noticed or cared.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

A Sneaker Broker posted:

D U N 2 is now out on digital. I am waiting for Amazon and Apple to release the pre-order wall. However, enjoy:

Ah, that's why the scene is confusing for a lot of folks. Left and right get flipped for the closeup of disarm and stab. Just change that 180 and it'd make a lot more sense