Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I still wish an HBO series had been made of this. The book(s) are perfect for prestige TV and I could see it being a big hit ala GoT. And like GoT, there's just so much world building and exposition necessary that a feature film just doesn't cut it. I'm glad to see it's being divided into two, at least.

Also it's interesting that the casting for Feyd is being kept a secret. Though maybe that's because he doesn't even appear until part 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

In a post-Epstein Trump world, the Baron makes sense to me.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

I watched The King on Netflix with Timothee Chalamet and I wasnt exactly impressed.

I thought he did well. He's kind of a shrimpy, boy-ish looking guy who nevertheless can speak with authority, and assuming that wasn't a double in all the fight scenes, he can do that pretty well too. Nothing to get super excited about but he'll be fine as Paul

The King's writing didn't exactly give him primo material to work with, either

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Sucks that Poe Dameron defected to the stormtroopers

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

gently caress the haters, this poo poo looks cool. It's going to be fun

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Spermando posted:

[futuristic lamentation music]

yeah this was the worst part for me. the monochrome pallette, whatever, it's an aesthetic choice and not necessarily a wrong one. There's no reason Dune has to look like fuckin' froot loops.

But goddamn this faux-arabic ululating is in everything and I'm so sick of it

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 22, 2021

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is it good?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

dead gay comedy forums posted:

absolutely loving great movie, holy poo poo

incredibly well done adaptation and really liked that I got the feel of this magistral religious grandiosity from the screen just like when I read the book, loved it

Same. It really beat my expectations. The story was laid out and exposited better than I think it possibly could've in a film.

It looked and sounded incredible, I loved the atmosphere, the mix of old earth and new tech and general future weirdness. It's been too long since we've really gotten weird in a sci fi movie.

I wish there was even ten spare minutes to talk about space travel and show more of the guild ships. There's almost nothing on the trip over to Arrakis, they just show up. But what can you do, there's no time.

They cut part one at the exact part I thought they should after Paul's duel with the fremen challenger but in hindsight, that makes it feel a bit like a movie and a half. But again, unless we'd been blessed with three Dune movies, what can you do? I guess we'll be lucky to even get part 2.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

everyone who doesn't like this movie Is Wrong

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I saw Dune a second time, in IMAX, after watching it on TV at first. Would've seen in theaters to begin with but I didn't think it would be as good as it was. Absolutely worth it, this movie is made for the big screen. Was not bored seeing it two times, and I almost never do repeat viewings of anything, even movies I like.

Thinking about who should play the Emperor in part 2. Somebody mentioned Mads Mikkelson which would be a great choice, but how about this - Anthony Starr from The Boys. He'd look great with red hair too, which he does in the book.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

Seems like the role jared leto was born to play

Wouldn't surprise me if it's him, he was in Blade Runner after all. Leto would've been the *ideal* Feyd Rautha 20 years ago. I think you could do better for the role of Emperor of the Known Universe, but not a bad pick and certainly one he'd relish given what we know about what Jared Leto thinks of himself

Reminds me, this is a great podcast episode about Jared Leto's self directed 30 seconds to Mars documentary, for all you Leto heads out there:
https://soundcloud.com/and-intro-pod/104-30-seconds-to-mars-ft-indieheads-pod

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I think Elba would play the role too wooden, like he's in the Eternals or something. Has he played many villains? I can't think of any and I don't think he'd be that believable as one. The actor needs to just ooze arrogance.

Of course, none of this matters that much because as signifcant as the role is to the story, if Villenueve follows the book the emperor will have about seven minutes of screentime

edit: comedy option (but would genuinely be cool to see): Keanu Reeves

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 6, 2021

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

just give it to Donald Trump

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm not married to Elba playing the Emperor or anything. I'd watch him play Little Orphan Annie cause he's a very, very good actor, but it's not like a hill I'd choose to die or anything.

But someone saying that the dude who played the iconic role of Russel "Stringer" MotherFucking Bell can't do evil, scheming, arrogant but also deeply likable and charismatic... Wow. Uh that, sure is a take you can try to have there, buddy. Go on and give that a heft.

It's been a long time since I've seen the wire, but my main takeaway of Stringer Bell is that he aspired to make drug dealing as mundane as an office job, with himself as a legitimate businessman who happens to sell drugs. But not a sociopath by any means. Maybe it's that Idris Elba just doesn't seem to me as cold as the Emperor needs to be.

Wafflecopper posted:

Someone already posted this ages ago, as a Foundation joke, but Lee Pace would unironically be perfect

Too much Galactic Emperor, but absolutely, yeah.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Baron is you taking notes on a galactic fuckin conspiracy?!

lmao

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 7, 2021

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Brian Cox would own as Shaddam Corrino IV.

Paul: “I want you to abdicate and go into exile while I marry your daughter and become emperor myself. Or I blow up all the spice.”

”gently caress off!”

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

It'll probably be Tex Elvis but shaved, maybe his eyebrows shaved too, and like oddly water-repellant. Handsome but unsettling.

I've got a feeling they'll give him hair. It's an indulgence allowed by the Baron

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Did anyone guess Walken?

I doubt it lol

that's wild. Seems like he's been making a late-late career comeback recently.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Well this will be interesting to hear

https://twitter.com/PageSix/status/1615765237470199821

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/Thatoneguy64/status/1769145447254311408

agreed unfortunately. Walken is obviously a great actor but "Weapon of Choice" aside, an odd pick for this role. The best way I can say it is he's not a sci fi guy. He just can't inhabit a weird planet and act natural.

I can think of several actors who would've done better but my restrospective pick is James Cromwell, aka Uncle Ewan from Succession.

- looks and sounds "imperial". He's 6 freaking 7, and has what I'd call a "severe" tone of voice. And at least for us Americans, an English accent helps us place a "royal" role.

- he's a sci fi guy. Did many bit parts as various aliens on Star Trek. He would understand Dune.

- he's just as old as Walken, but more of a bitter, world weary vibe that you'd expect the emperor of the known universe to have after a long reign.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I had really high hopes for Walken in this- at his age I was hoping this could be a sort of crowning performance for his career. Unfortunately he took me out of every scene. He didn't do a poor job, he just didn't have the presence / command I would have expected. He seemed just like a pathetic old grandpa. Maybe that's what DV was going for but I would have wanted a more Charles Dance-like performance.

I've thought a lot about this and I think a slightly aged up Sam Rockwell would have been a cool choice. He has such range, it would have been interesting to see him in a role like this.

Charles Dance might be a bit too typecast at this point because of GOT but goddamn what an emperor of the known universe he'd be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Supposedly the IMAX screenings are extended starting April 19? But there's no theaters around me that have it :(