Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

This movie ruled. I was just kinda ehh on the original but this was so good it actually improved my opinion on it. Some truly beautiful shots. The scene of the emperors dudes getting blessed or whatever is like some 40k poo poo. This just fired on every cylinder for me and I never expected it to at all especially after seeing the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Couple things im curious about ..are we still spoiling stuff? The Duke complains that the equipment the Harkonnens left them is trash but in the prologue part their spice collecting machines look totally different than the jawa sandcrawler things the Ateides use once they get there. Also Khal Drogo flys around in some stealth fighter looking thing on Calaban but on Arrakis they only use the dragonfly things which I think you see in the prologue as well. Are they just completely using old Harkonnen stuff? Did they just not bring any of their superior air power stuff Poe Dameron talks about at home?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

If you liked Dune it's even more Dune than that. It's set in a bizzare feudal future where Earth is a dying backwater, the protagonist is a disgraced torturer who becomes a ruler by the end (this is mentioned in the first chapter) and the book is written as his self-justifying political memoir that's also about him trying to move past being an awful person and it's somehow gone back in time so there's multiple layers of unreliable narration going on, plus the plot just goes all over the place especially from book to book

What book is this?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ej posted:

I think calling the societies in Dune patriarchal is going both too far and not far enough. I'm trying to remember if there are ANY women in the movie who are not either Fremen or Bene Gesserit, and I'm coming up blank. I guess you can count Dr Kynes as a kind-of maybe not-fremen, but that rings false given how she acts later in the movie. Also I suppose for non-speaking roles you have all the women trying out for the servant position that Mapes got, but there's no telling whether any of them are fremen or not, they never even show their eyes.

So, the Imperial Houses are not just male-run or male-dominated they are just straight up entirely male.

Theres some women walking with Lady Jessica holding her dress when they walk off the ship after landing on Arrakis. Also her guard is a woman in the servant scene. Theres a few woman soldiers fighting on the stairs when they get surrounded during the invasion too.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Also theres some harkonnen women just kinda standing around in a few of the Baron scenes.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Do they say how the Harks get Dr Yuehs wife in the book? Do they snatch her from the Ateides compound or is she off on some other world?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I hope part 2 is Carl Drogo speaking space Mongolian and fighting Bautista for 3 hours

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The good news is its coming back to IMAX this week.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Baron is you taking notes on a galactic fuckin conspiracy?!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

aloof, equal parts brilliant and barely hiding incompetence, vain but unsettling.

It should be the guy who played Apophis in SG-1

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Im a dumbass moron who can barely even name another Coen bros movie and i loving love NCFOM

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

elon musk having the least stupid name in that family is some lol poo poo

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Xealot posted:

I wish every choice was as weird as Christopher Walken, though; like, instead of the very normal and healthy-looking Florence Pugh, I kinda wish that Irulan came off like some sort of bizarre designer cat, had an uncanny inbred vibe like the Targaryans were supposed to. Which is an insulting prompt for an actor, but there are probably a lot of actors with a high fashion-y look who'd fit what I mean. (No actual complaints about Florence Pugh, though. She's been fantastic in every role I've seen her in.)

They already have Timmy Chalamet

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

There's no satellites over Something Awful. Bust Rodd will be banned in the dark.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah it's dumb. I can appreciate it when a director is like "this is my preferred cut of the film" but I still wanna see the extra poo poo so just...let me?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Who do you want to make the cut? Do you just want every movie to have a release including everything that was filmed?

If they're that opposed to making a new longer cut I'd honestly be happy with just watching the deleted scenes as a extra feature like they did back when dvds came out.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

If someone can tell Ridley Scott to shut up and release a special edition for Alien I'm sure someone can to DV.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Disney doesn't give a poo poo they're going forward with yet more Rey movies that should tell you everything

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I want to see this movie immediately

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I watched like 3 vids trying to explain that series and still have no idea wtf its even about

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

D U N C 2 - Duncan Dis Worm in Yueh Mouf

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The guild (at least the ones that arent mutant fish people) should just mine the poo poo themselves. Why do they even need anyone if they have a monopoly on space travel. "Hey Arrakis is ours now. Good luck flying here to take it back fuckers. peace"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

im gonna see this fukkin thing 3 times on opening day

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The Atreides are water planet people and should have blue Master Chief suits with cute lil duckies all over them.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

single-mode fiber posted:

I know it's supposed to be the setting sun and all, but the color is a little bit too close to that Laugh Factory logo, made famous by Kramer.

Throw his rear end out he's a Harkonnen!!!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

D U N C: His Stillsuit is Full of Piss

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rental Sting posted:

Movie was insanely lit.

The AMC in Skokie, IL that I like has both an IMAX and a Dolby theater and the Dolby is miles better, but I have no idea if that's always the case. Caught a Dolby matinee today and it was a full sensory overload at all times. Gotta go back later this week.

The one by village crossing?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Movie owned. Tried to get tickets last night to see it again today, and every screening was sold out except for the lovely seats at the extreme edge against the wall. We're gonna get a third film.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Red Rox posted:

- Could the studio force the release of an extended version of the films? Cause I would pay a lot of money for more of this poo poo. Or does Denis Villeneuve have final say, even if they don't call it a Directors Cut? I just want to bath in hours of it like I'm in the Baron's oil tub. I feel like the characters that feel underdone, like the Emperor, had a lot cut.

If physical media isn't completely killed by the time the next movie is out I can see the studio wanting to maybe do a box set ala the Alien franchise where DV gets to look into the camera and tell you "the theatrical cut is my cut but whatever here's the deleted stuff too I guess, have fun" like Ridley Scott did.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

golden bubble posted:

https://screenrant.com/dune-2-scenes-cut-tim-blake-nelson-response/

Tim Blake Nelson was cut from the movie in editing. Although he can't say what character he was, it's pretty obvious he was playing Count Hasimir Fenring. Who else from the books would possible fit Nelson and doesn't show up in the movie?

The milked cat

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I literally rewatched Dunc1 yesterday and apparently I totally missed that, when does it happen?

When Paul and Jessica are in the tent after they escape from the Harkonen ornithopter

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Hey if you nuke a bunch of mountains doesn’t that still mean there’s a ton of rock underground? How are worms supposed to cross that

Wouldn’t the ground be super hot

I think this movie might be a tad unrealistic

The guy controlling the worm did a sick kickflip over it

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Having just seen it a second time it really really needs some sort of extended cut to explain some of these odd moments like:

why Chiani arrives in the south on a worm with everyone else then immediately lands in an ornithopter.

The mass exodus of sietch tabr that the Harkonens apparently let walk away.

How Rabban teleports from the throne room to outside running to a ship.

How with all the air assets they have at the end they don't see thousands of fighters massing on the other side of a sand dune.

Also, the shot of the armada gathering in space is some low effort lights in the sky. I'm convinced whatever vfx of a highliner they originally had was erased out because they just didn't want to acknowledge the space guild at all.

Just seems like the cut scenes from the first movie were edited out better and didn't lead to as many "wtf was that?" moments.

Still 10/10

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Shageletic posted:

I don't remember that first scene but why would you want an extended scene of Rabban walking from a room towards a ship?

It's just weird that everyone is in the throne room with a buncha Sardukar guarding the only entrance as Paul's army is attacking and then Rabban is suddenly outside hauling rear end to an ornithopter while everyone else is still in the throne room.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jodorowsky's Dune is on HBO atm if you haven't seen it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

His harem of vampires wanted to finally have cooked meat

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, that's my reaction too. I initially had hope because waaaay back Denis was going to do the pilot and much of the Chernobyl team was going to pick up the torch after him... but then the studio wanted a cheaper project and all of those people departed.

What was actually filmed is an adaptation of a Brian Herbert novel written by someone whose main credits are episodes of Lost and Alias. The lead director is someone whose only previous credit was a spinoff of Underworld. My hopes were dashed at "Brian Herbert" and the filmography of the key creatives doesn't exactly restore confidence.

I'll probably still wind up watching it though.

Fuuuuck

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

This fan edit of Lynch Dune is the definitive version of the movie imo, if you look online you can download it in higher quality than YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faHQA_0d9Mo

What changes/edits does it make?

I kinda think the emperor in 84 comes off as a bit of a doofus tbh.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Now all I wanna see is Ben Quadinaros fuckin dudes up in the arena with a 4 bladed sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

well why not posted:

Stargate’s humans throw around Nukes pretty casually, they’re not shy with the fact that they can and will use atomic power. They even use them as a pre-emptive strike at least once. I think they even trade nuclear weapons a few times.

I like when they ask the one Asgard guy serving aboard a human spaceship to beam a nuke through the bad guy ships shields and he's just like "Jesus christ...."