Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

The past adaptations always feel just a little bloated because of Leto and Paul having basically three different spymasters in Duncan/Gurney/Thufir all three of which are just sort of there. I mean obviously in the book there's much more to each of them than that and they fuckin' rule but the screen time isn't really there and even as a huge fan of the book I wouldn't mind if one of the three was just cut completely for an adaptation.

If you’re just filming the first book, then Idaho would be the one to cut. He doesn’t really do anything and dies about halfway through. Except of course that he comes back..and back..and back...in the books, to the post where even Frank Herbert made a bit of a joke about it in the later books, and the lovely spin offs by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson made him the ultimate Kwizatz Haderach.

Neo Rasa posted:

For sure. I believe some of the ships/etc. in it were "canonized" as Herbert used the Lynch movie as the basis for describing some stuff in Heretics and Chapterhouse.

Think the Guild Navigator designs were also canonised in the Brian Herbert books. They had a character who trained as a Navigator, and it had him mutating the first time he used spice to fold space. They didn’t go into much detail about how it mutated him, but the detail they did give tied up pretty well with the Lynch version.

Hemp Knight fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004
I do apologise.

//banishes himself to Salusa Secundus

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Cacator posted:

If Villeneuve's Dune fails, I would support Lars Von Trier giving it a go

Or David Lynch.

Oh wait....

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Capntastic posted:

I'm fairly certain at no point are the ultra-badass Sardaukar deathtroops from hellworld ever described visually at all. Because it's not important to their function in the story.

But film is a visual medium, so,

I think the only description of them in the book is when a captured Sardaukar is brought to Paul, and is described as blond and blue eyed, which seems to be typical of Sardaukar officers. As such, I’ve always pictured the Sardaukar as Nordic or Aryan looking, in contrast to the Arabic looking Fremen or Greek/Mediterranean Atreides..

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

incoherent posted:

If they're fighting in the desert the shields would have brought the worm. I don't know if like a gang of worms or just one really pissed off one.

From the book:
“Shields!” Kynes sneered. “Activate a shield in the worm zone and you seal your fate. Worms ignore territory lines, come from far around to attack a shield. No man wearing a shield has ever survived such an attack.”

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The Navigator’s appearance in the Lynch Dune film is an invention of the film, as while navigators are mutated in the books their description up to that point was more in line with some kind of anime merman, rather than the giant horrifying fish fetus of the 80s movie. I have heard rumors though that Herbert apparently loving loved that interpretation.

Actually, the Navigators in Dune aren’t described as being mutated apart from having entirely blue eyes. Paul speculates early on that they might be mutated, but the Navigators at the end appear largely normal. IIRC, it’s only in the later books that they’re heavily mutated, probably due to Herbert adopting the film depiction.

And the BH/KJA books (sorry) further expand on this by depicting a character undergoing Navigator training where he undergoes several mutation stages from exposure to spice gas before ending up as the mutant fish, which is described as a level 3 mutation, and presumably corresponds to the Navigator being referred to as 3rd Stage in Dune 84.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004
Plus, am I right in thinking that there weren’t any Navigators in Dune Part 1? If so, I wonder what they’ll look like in Part 2 if they show them.