Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It looks rad as hell and has great atmosphere, but basically every change from the book made it worse, and I really didn't care for how gratuitously disgusting it was in places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Aces High posted:

I dunno, it makes sense, CHOAM are the ones that truly hold the power in the universe since their Navigators are the only ones that can fold space. They are pretty curt to the emperor every time they see him and it makes sense, he has one job, make sure the spice keeps flowing

Actually the Spacing Guild that controls the Navigators is separate from CHOAM.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

^^^ efb :argh:

sponges posted:

Is Lynchs Dune a bad movie or just a bad adaptation?

Kind of both? It's realistically 4-6 hours of story stuffed into just over 2 hours in the theatrical cut. Going in blind almost everybody seems to immediately go :wtc: , especially because it still includes digressions that aren't vital to the plot (both from the book and made up by Lynch.)

I don't want to come across as too negative about it though, it's full of weird poo poo that's just kind of fun to see. But it's not uh "good" in the normal sense.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

The Count Fenring of movies

Hmmmmmm.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's all just things Lynch likes jerking off to.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mulva posted:

No, it's study hard and take transhumanist drugs.

How many drugs were in that book?

Spice
Semuta
Sapho
Elacca
Shere
Verite
Water of Life

Etc., etc.

:350:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

he gives humanity the big daddy perfect god-king we always wanted for 10,000 years so we collectively get so sick of it that rejecting authoritarianism becomes etched into our genes

sadly, he would probably have voted trump had he lived. you see the signs of chud brain rot in the later books, like a major character being a rabbi because judaism is so awesome it hasn't changed in 20,000 years

his gender essentialism is mostly saved from being totally loathesome by the fact that he thinks women are better than men, but he's also only able to write exactly one female character and it shows when he tries to have multiple women as viewpoint characters

He also seemed to think that if male power fantasy characters existed, the result would be a complete horrorshow for both themselves and everybody else (Paul, Leto II.)

At least until you get to the later books where Miles Teg is awesome at everything and dies and is brought back to do more cool poo poo, I think.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 4, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Spun Dog posted:

I never could get into anything after the first book.

My vague recollection is that the style of the books changed a lot after the first one, but it's been forever since I've read any of them but the first one.

I think my reaction to the sequels was that they were OK time wasters but not on par with the first one.

e: Apparently the stuff with his kid's name on it is all garbage for morons but I never read any of it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I think this has a decent chance at the box office, it's stuffed with popular as gently caress actors and it should at least have goddamn amazing looking trailers.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Payndz posted:

Gonna be fun for the studio publicity guy who realises he has to find a way to sell a story that's essentially 'the rise of Mohammed, and Islam's Jihad against imperialist capitalism' to the Star Wars and Marvel crowd. How far will "...but with giant sandworms!" go?

Game of Thrones IN SPACE.

:ms:

e: But seriously, Dune should be easy as gently caress to sell.

1) It's going to have lots of :krad: visuals, which are always good for a trailer.
2) The story actually has a good amount of action. There's one on one combat, giant loving monsters, armies going at it, etc., all stuff that makes good trailer fodder.
3) It's full of marketable actors people recognize. HEY, AQUAMAN AND DRAX ARE PLAYING COOL SPACE DUDES!

I really don't see the problem.

Failson posted:

I am also concerned that the Jodorowsky Dune documentary has set impossible expectations, (also, did anyone grab the film rights for The Incal?)

This won't have the slightest bearing on if this Dune makes a lot of money or not.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 6, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

"Once again we find that our knowledge is subject to the whim of ignorance. Here is a personal account of his dealings with "inner voice" "You cannot have confidence in the voices, they give you messages about . . ."

there's a character limit but that is totally a plausible passage from Manual of Muad'Dib.

To be clear this is only what talktotransformer says, I'm not including the original prompt.

You can try it yourself at talktotransformer.com.

It really struggles if you feed it quotes of Captain Holt from Brooklyn 99.

quote:

Oh, now, Stella, you know I'm still getting over the tragic loss of my wife. She was such a strong, female woman with nice, heavy breasts. No, I didn't say the reason she died was because of the brothel prostitution scandal. I meant she died because she was dead. That wasn't a metaphor. She was a f----g corpse. And so it wasn't her fault the plague broke out in the first place, was it? In any case, I'm really upset, here in this brothel, with Stella's dead body in the ground. This stupid-looking whore-body-must-have-been-hunted-off-the-street kind of deal."

:stare:

quote:

Sarcasm: the coward's lie.

Karn: I am very picky about my super animals.

Sarcasm: I was walking from my porch to the garage. I had absolutely no doubt, the 2nd most physically advanced PC back then was my Sam 2, which had a Radeon 7970 2GB 3G. But i read somewhere that the cost of a fresh render frame would only be like 2000 kr (around 600 euro) so it would be more cost effective to buy that once.

Sarcasm: I could say I want to suck your dick but if I didn't want to make someone else kill themselves than to tell you how I would suck their dick?

:stonk:

Last one, I fed it some :regd10:

quote:

Holy Diver, you've been down too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me? Already a Lamech? A Mentor to similar Earthlings in dark lands? A preacher? I've got all this pomp and luster to give. From this...city of billions I have gazed upon the way...one finds salvation. Yes, my poor Master, I've gone through all this for you. And you believe? You think to, and hope? I have seen the future and it does not concern me one bit.

:hmmyes:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The book gave me the impression that the Baron's plot wouldn't have worked on the Duke Leto and his Master of Assassins of like 10 years earlier, but both guys are clearly not on their A games anymore. Leto is starting to buckle under the weight of his responsibility and Hawat is maybe just getting too old for this poo poo. So the Duke is fatalistically going through the motions while suspecting it's all hosed, while the Mentat Master of Assassins and all-around genius badass devious motherfucker is starting to get panicky about how he's lost his edge in his old age just as poo poo's getting real. Meanwhile Paul is primed to pick up the slack... in the long term, but not really in time for the crisis because his dad's still having to explain basic realpolitik poo poo to him.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

This is probably going to seem like a weird complaint but the biggest thing I hated about Lynch's Dune was 'weirding modules' and I hope they don't go down that road again.

It's not a weird (pun lol) complaint IMO. It's representative of what's wrong with the movie in general.

The big practical problem with making a 2 hour-ish Dune movie is that there' s just too much stuff in the book and too little time in the film.

So they add this extra thing, with no basis in the book, that requires its own scene to demonstrate it, and it sort of makes no sense anyway. You made your basic problem worse by adding new material, and on top of that the new material is dumb and bad and more expensive to film.

They just made their job harder for no good reason. And it's all over this movie. It has some good performances and rad visuals, but it's also both rushed and overstuffed because they kept adding extraneous stuff to a movie whose fundamental problem was always going to be "how does this poo poo even fit?"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

PeterWeller posted:

The Weirding Modules also accentuate and foreground the speech and language themes that are in the book. Paul can literally kill with a word.

What they actually show is that they allow ANYBODY to kill with several different words.

The wierding modules just appear out of nowhere in the movie and functionally are just voice activated laser guns. They don't DO anything interesting, it's just an overly complicated way to get pew pew into the movie.

It also undercuts the idea of the Fremen being especially capable warriors, because what the movie actually shows us is that they're given a crate of secret weapons and win by shooting people with them.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 22, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

What really got me is how the Dune miniseries shot all its "outdoor" scenes in front of matte paintings in a way that was extremely jarring.

It's like they REALLY went out of the way to light the scenes and frame the shots to emphasize as much as possible that you just had people walking in front of a painting.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

Even so, in terms of video game adaptations, it's probably one of the best. And yes that is a very, very, very low bar.

The best one is uh... Mortal Kombat?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The number of pear shaped white guys that Steven Seagal has inspired to get beaten up by people who can actually fight must be uncountable.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

David D. Davidson posted:

Also I think I said it before but I'm like 97% certain that he was a massive juicer back in the day. It would explain just about everything about him and just what the gently caress happened to him.

I don't think gravy counts as juicing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nice.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Trying to fit the book into a 2:15 movie was nuts.

Then Lynch added a bunch of stuff not even in the book on top of that.

But even so

AwkwardKnob posted:

Hahahahaha holy poo poo

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Am I the only one who thinks the first book has a very different vibe from all the others? The sequels all read like way more "normal" sci-fi, even as they introduce crazy poo poo like worm-human hybrids and clones and whatever the mind control by sex women... thing... was.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Goons, let me know how far into this trailer breakdown you get before you try to verbally assault your monitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8X3JbeEzLE

It's dumb as poo poo lol

Like not even in a Dune superfan way, it's literally saying poo poo like "some scenes are bright and some are dark, also I looked up the date the Pink Floyd record came out."

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

One interesting facet of Dune is that it's full of impressively competent characters who nevertheless either eat poo poo and fail constantly, or succeed in ways that only make their lives more hellish while causing horrific unintended consequences.

If Dune was being written in 2020 everyone with power would be a huge moron rear end in a top hat who kept failing upwards, while everyone with half a brain was just an ever more depressed spectator.

Even Rabban is too smart to be a 2020 villain, since he at least had the sense to say "Hey guys maybe we should look into these Fremem, they kind of seem like A Thing that might matter?" instead of just shouting FAKE NEWS at everything.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 23, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

phasmid posted:

Rabban, who once ate a journalist on holocam for asking where the water was, paid more attention to affairs in his fief than modern "leaders" do? Checks out.

:argh: MENTAT? MORE LIKE MEANT AT DEEZ NUTS but seriously, we really need to do a Fremen census boss

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Certainly the Lynch version anyway.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

To be honest I don't think Lynch's Dune was a good example of a Lynch movie or a good Dune adaptation.

But it's still cool to watch if you're in the mood for something wierd and gross.

The miniseries is just depressingly cheap even by the standards of old sci fi made for TV.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Phyzzle posted:

The syfy miniseries Fremen looked liked guys who moved to LA to sign up at a casting company.

Gives new meaning to Cinéma vérité lol

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I'm about halfway through the third book and it feels like the first one in the series that's actually well written. I do like Herbert's style but the first two make no particular effort to make his jargon and abstract style approachable to general audiences.

I think the first book's aggressive weirdness makes it better and the next 2 books were too "normal" by comparison.

Then there's God Emperor of Dune and the ones with mind control sex and lol whelp

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

deoju posted:

The product of a centuries long breeding program would probably be hot as gently caress.

Judging by most royal families: lol

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Hey hey, it’s also a movie adaptation of a culty 60s sci-fi novel!

It's the world's best selling science fiction novel.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I think it makes sense that all kinds of crazy super-people follow Paul, the Bene Gesserit were working towards creating the Kwisatz Haderach for forever... but seemingly gave no thought to "and then what?"

It was like 1) make KH 2) ??? 3) Profit

DarkSol posted:

What's crazy is that The Dune Encyclopedia contradicts Frank Herbert's own work, so I don't get what the deal is.

I think the Dune Encyclopedia was openly "non-canonical" (a term that wasn't really used to keep track of nerd poo poo back then, I don't think) with some handwave-y reason like "it was written long after the events of the books, fog of history, etc."

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 12, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

hmm, guess ill see shang chi instead if this is so bad

Based on one prick's review?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I don't know how much the movie foreshadows where all this ends up, but lol at seeing the Dune novel as a white savior story when the whole point is that the consequences of people buying into all the (implicitly white, European) messiah poo poo is intergalactic genocide.

poo poo, Herbert hammers home the point that Paul being "one of the good ones" has almost no bearing on how it all plays out except at the margins, the "good guy" white savior imperialist protagonist kills billions anyway. Like we literally read Paul's thoughts where just just says it to the reader.

Paul doesn't save the Fremen, he turns them into shell-shocked drug addicts from his forever wars and destroys their culture at home, all because his dad was on the wrong end of a dynastic beef among the space aristocracy.

Herbert wasn't subtle, he just literally has all the poo poo I said happen in the first 2 books or something. Herbert was 1 step away from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk7M2jGdnxU

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 5, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The first story follows a standard hero's journey template more, but it's already pretty heavy handed about how none of the messiah business is going to end well, the "savages" are wildly underestimated by everyone not just in killing skill but technical sophistication and vision, the religion Paul is playing the messiah of is manufactured and he's acting out a role, how the Atreides "good guy" image is manufactured, and so on.

It also feels to me like both Leto and Thufir are past their primes and burned out on all the machiavellian poo poo but feel obligated to go through with it anyway. Like if this happened 10 years earlier they would have probably dunked on the Harkonnens. But that’s more my personal read on things than anything solid.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's not white savior at all. The Fremen are just there to be used, the story isn't about saving them. The story is about the intergalactic feudal system and the conflicts therein.

Yeah, his "savior" status is explicitly fake right from the jump.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Alchenar posted:

You can definitely read Dune as story of a guy being aware he's being cynically set up to be a white saviour and then deciding to earnestly go along with it.

My recollection is that Pauls overwhelming motive is avenging his father.

Automatic Slim posted:

Going all in on the Dali.

Like how there's just a disembodied dick floating in there. Like not even a phallic symbol, just a dong.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I also don't think it was generally known that it was possible to destroy the source of the spice, short of maybe nuking the whole planet to death. Which you generally don't want to do while you're on it.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 12, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The guild explicitly doesn't want to rule directly, they just want the status quo to keep on trucking so they can be high all the time.

I don't remember if the guild even has a military?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

They're space stoners who found One Wierd Trick to get lifetime weed 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

How much does anybody in politics care about the ecological processes that produce coal, oil and natural gas, versus just demanding GIVE US MORE OF THE GOOD poo poo FOR THE ECONOMY?