Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah, fair on all points, I'm just saying that some people point to DUNC's visual austerity as being specifically contradicted by the text and I don't think there's much behind that argument. That said, I'm a Star Wars prequel freak so I'm very sympathetic to people who love cool costume designs.

Thank you!

If you do get a copy of Dr. Ryding's paper, I'd love to take a look at it, too. She's a Professor Emerita with a long and impressive tenure.

https://gufaculty360.georgetown.edu/s/contact/00336000014RgNqAAK/karin-ryding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

I said come in! posted:

Part 2 is meant to be the conclusion to the first book, right?

Yes, but Book 2 (Dune Messiah) is only about half as long as Dune itself, so it will work quite well as Movie 3.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

What took you so long? I thought that was just sort of assumed after MI 4.

Kvantum fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 13, 2024

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Steve Yun posted:

If they respect worms why would they want to terraform the planet to something uninhabitable for worms

At least in the book, the idea always was to maintain a large portion of deep desert specifically for the worms, but to make much of the north into an easily habitable terrain.

The actual text:
[quote="Frank Herbert"]
‘We will trap the dunes beneath grass plantings,’ Stilgar said, his voice growing stonger. ‘We will tie the water into the soil with trees and undergrowth.’

‘Bi-lal kaifa,’ intoned the troop.

‘Each year the polar ice retreats,’ Stilgar said.

‘Bi-lal kaifa,’ they chanted.

‘We will make a homeworld of Arrakis – with melting lenses at the poles, with lakes in the temperate zones, and only the deep desert for the maker and his spice.’

‘Bi-lal kaifa.’

‘And no man ever again shall want for water. It shall be his for dipping from well or pond or lake or canal. It shall run down through the qanats to feed our plants. It shall be there for any man to take. It shall be his for holding out his hand.’

Kvantum fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 13, 2024

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

banned from Starbucks posted:

What changes/edits does it make?

I kinda think the emperor in 84 comes off as a bit of a doofus tbh.

It's 3 hours long, adding in most of the stuff from the Alan Smithee cut that was put together for TV, and also includes every deleted scene that's present in the original text of the book. I agree with NeoRasa about it being as close to "definitive" a version as we'll ever get.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Oh yeah, does it ever get explained in the later books why Paul is the ubermensch one gen ahead of schedule? Or is the galactic eugenics program not completely infallible after all

I think the idea was that it would be the mix of the Atreides and Harkonnen lines that would produce him, but Jessica being the Baron's daughter threw off their calculations.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

I wish I could get past my issues with the changes, but I can't. As great of a spectacle as parts of this film are, so much of it feels dumbed down compared to the books. Herbert has Paul learn about the ecology of the worm and thus the spice, and uses this knowledge to threaten the Guild in a uniquely different way, a Fremen way. Villneuve has Paul just threaten to nuke stuff like any other human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

C-Euro posted:

Oh good, someone else broke containment on Lynch Dune for this page. I saw it for the first time last night since my wife wanted to compare it to DUNC. This is probably not a fresh take, but why didn't Lynch just make the Flash Gordon movie that he so clearly wanted to make instead?

E: I have read Dune the book multiple times, one of my faves for decades.

Because they'd already made a Flash Gordon movie 4 years earlier. Using Toto for Dune was somewhat patterned after using Queen for the Flash Gordon soundtrack.