Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Where does “black sun” as a description of Giedi Prime’s star come from anyways? I can’t seem to find it in the first book

In the books, Giedi Prime is orbiting 36 Ophuchi B, which a main sequence orange dwarf irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There are stars so cool as to only emit infrared, but these are red and brown dwarfs that wouldn't have habitable zones. I don't think something like the black sun seen in the film is possible, but I would rather him ignore that rather than cut one of the most visually evocative sequences I've ever seen in a movie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My opinion is that the thinking machine ban is all about how outsourcing human effort to computers makes us soft and weak. One of the major themes of the series is that hard places make hard men. The Sardaukar are such badasses because they are refined in the crucible of Salusa Secundus; the fremen are even more badass because Arrakis is even worse. So while we here in the modern era have been conditioned to view the threat of AIs as giant thinking brains named after Greek mythological figures stomping around in giant laser mechs and yeeting infants off of roofs, I'm not sure that was as ingrained in the sci fi reading consciousness in the 60s. The idea of a soft and weak Wall-E style civilization, one that is willing to abdicate all the work and striving and self-improvement that humans value to AI or to men who control that AI fits more neatly into Herbert's themes. IMO.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

The killbots are still around, even. One of them almost got Paul.

And they're gonna gain ESP and come back and wipe out all of humanity, unless this talking giant worm's plan works out