Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Spoeank posted:

instead of the Pro Bowl I am watching multiple overweight men talk about fast food they ate, live. This wille be far more interesting than the Pro Bowl.

Doughboys Live Show

I saw them in Chicago and it ruled, when Mitch came in he pulled two extra beers out of his pockets when he sat down to a huge cheer, then when Jon Gabrus came out he took nine goddamn beers out of his jeans like that one concealed guns in baggy pants video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lol that's some smug posting

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Revis being better than Sherman is a hot take now?

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Power of Pecota posted:

I saw them in Chicago and it ruled, when Mitch came in he pulled two extra beers out of his pockets when he sat down to a huge cheer, then when Jon Gabrus came out he took nine goddamn beers out of his jeans like that one concealed guns in baggy pants video

Doughboys loving owns. Thank christ we have something to talk about in the pro bowl thread

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/nfl__elites/status/1219293506210013186?s=21

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I think I saw this rap metal band at Warped Tour in 2002. They sucked

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MD2020 posted:

N: Former NFL QB and defeater of the Pittsburgh Steelers in the playoffs Tim Tebow got married.

V: Congrats on the sex.

Watch it turn out that the thing preventing him from being any good was orgasms. And now all of a sudden he doesn't have a huge windup on his throws. Or he starts blasting home runs. That double entendre was not intended.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

It's not too late!

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Lmao

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Blount will always have a soft spot in my heart for what he did in Boise.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
https://twitter.com/NFLOfficiating/status/1219635867985334277

The NFL needs to abolish the kickoff and this is an awesome substitute. Jon Bois made a good video and is a great person for making interesting sports things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_SsIKgwvz4

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Who cares about the Pro Bowl. It's Royal Rumble Weekend baby! (Even though WWE is bad now)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Better Than You posted:

Who cares about the Pro Bowl. It's Royal Rumble Weekend baby! (Even though WWE is bad now)

This thread is about the pro bowl. It's bad yes but it is still the pro bowl. Thank you.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Woah that 4th and 15 option is interesting when a team is down last in the 4th.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
It’s cool how the Chiefs fired all of their defensive coaches and brought in like 8 new defensive starters a year ago and it worked

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm extremely excited and I hope something like this happens but with weed since it's California

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

cage-free egghead posted:

https://twitter.com/NFLOfficiating/status/1219635867985334277

The NFL needs to abolish the kickoff and this is an awesome substitute. Jon Bois made a good video and is a great person for making interesting sports things

Yeah, that is the best kickoff replacement idea I've seen. I'd prefer if the team has the option to punt or do the try, for extra trickery possibilities and to let kick returners still do their thing, but it's something.

Also, abolish false starts all together, they are worthless and dumb. It never made sense to me that the defense can bounce and fake and do all this crap but if the offense twitches a minute amount it's 5 yards.

While I'm at it, get rid of 12 men on the field penalties for defense as well. As long as the players don't fake like they're still in the game, who the hell cares if they're 2 yards away from the sideline?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Rooster Brooster posted:

Yeah, that is the best kickoff replacement idea I've seen. I'd prefer if the team has the option to punt or do the try, for extra trickery possibilities and to let kick returners still do their thing, but it's something.

Also, abolish false starts all together, they are worthless and dumb. It never made sense to me that the defense can bounce and fake and do all this crap but if the offense twitches a minute amount it's 5 yards.

While I'm at it, get rid of 12 men on the field penalties for defense as well. As long as the players don't fake like they're still in the game, who the hell cares if they're 2 yards away from the sideline?

I used 3rd and 15 to get the success rate (4th and 15 you get a ton of field goals) from 1994 to present and it's around 23% success rate which compares pretty favorably to what an onside kick was back in the day

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

adaz posted:

I used 3rd and 15 to get the success rate (4th and 15 you get a ton of field goals) from 1994 to present and it's around 23% success rate which compares pretty favorably to what an onside kick was back in the day

Keep in mind that a huge percentage of plays run on 3rd and 15 are draws and dump offs not intended to actually get the first down but to just get better field position to punt. If we could somehow narrow those 3rd and 15 plays to pass plays down the field I bet those conversion numbers go way up.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If you change it to 3rd and 15th against the Giants the success rate hits 100%.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Keep in mind that a huge percentage of plays run on 3rd and 15 are draws and dump offs not intended to actually get the first down but to just get better field position to punt. If we could somehow narrow those 3rd and 15 plays to pass plays down the field I bet those conversion numbers go way up.

You'll lose a bunch of plays where the QB got rushed and threw it to the dumpoff guy, or everyone was super covered because the defense dropped 8 guys or whatever though.

But yeah, the conversion rate is probably a little bit higher then the actual I think.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Man imagine the 2007 Pats or 2013 Broncos with that rule in place lmao. They'd be going for the conversion up by 30 with a minute left in the game.

Rule sounds good, hope it works out.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Rooster Brooster posted:

The situations aren't equivalent at all. The defense doesn't know the snap count. It would make it much harder for defensive players, especially corners and ends, if they had to watch for the snap instead of watching for the players across from them to move. Not to mention it would be trivially easy to draw defenders offsides.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rooster Brooster posted:

Because then you get situations where coaches try to sneak players onto the field without the other team noticing. You have to draw a hard cutoff somewhere and it's much simpler to say "Be the gently caress off the field" than it is "Were they reasonably trying to get off but were still on the field? Were they within 5 yards of the sideline? Were they moving towards it with sufficient velocity?"

Nov 6, 2002

False starts are good op and hilarious when someone does it in a big spot.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
In the CFL if the opposing team kicks a successful field goal you have the option of either making them kickoff from their 35 or scrimmaging from your own 35. NFL should adopt that as a start, it would cut down on the amount of kickoffs immensely.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

In the CFL if the opposing team kicks a successful field goal you have the option of either making them kickoff from their 35 or scrimmaging from your own 35. NFL should adopt that as a start, it would cut down on the amount of kickoffs immensely.

But then how are you going to get 2-3 ad breaks in between the field goal try and the next play by the opposing team?
The rule change I'd like to see is make defensive linemen immune to defensive holding penalties in all but the most egregious cases. Maybe make it the same for the o-line?

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Good call. Their play finder is actually really awesome at this and if we narrow it to just pass plays the sucess rate increases to 32%

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

adaz posted:

Good call. Their play finder is actually really awesome at this and if we narrow it to just pass plays the sucess rate increases to 32%

I think this runs into some issues. Like this doesn't seem to count incompletions, negative gains or sacks or interceptions.

Also scrambles are another thing to consider, because while a draw is probably a give up play, there's a bunch of scrambles that aren't.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Kalli posted:

I think this runs into some issues. Like this doesn't seem to count incompletions, negative gains or sacks or interceptions.

Also scrambles are another thing to consider, because while a draw is probably a give up play, there's a bunch of scrambles that aren't.

Yeah I can't figure out how to get it to count incompletions hrrm.Sacks was easy I changed the yards gained from -99 to 99 which drops it back down to the mid 20% success rate . I oddly cant figure out how to get this dumb thing to display incompletions

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Finger Prince posted:

But then how are you going to get 2-3 ad breaks in between the field goal try and the next play by the opposing team?
The rule change I'd like to see is make defensive linemen immune to defensive holding penalties in all but the most egregious cases. Maybe make it the same for the o-line?

They still jam in a TV break which is hilarious to watch live because the offense runs on the field and stands around for like 2 minutes at the 35 yard line looking around aimlessly

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The situations aren't equivalent at all. The defense doesn't know the snap count. It would make it much harder for defensive players, especially corners and ends, if they had to watch for the snap instead of watching for the players across from them to move. Not to mention it would be trivially easy to draw defenders offsides.

How about instead of false starting when leaning, flinching, or moving your hands, it's only a false start if the offense player actually takes a step backward?

I disagree that it's a tremendous burden on the defense to have to wait for the actual ball snap, especially when they can already move as much as they want along the line.

I'd also be happy to get rid of off-sides calls where the defender stops and tries to reset, leaving in unabated or encroachment.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Because then you get situations where coaches try to sneak players onto the field without the other team noticing. You have to draw a hard cutoff somewhere and it's much simpler to say "Be the gently caress off the field" than it is "Were they reasonably trying to get off but were still on the field? Were they within 5 yards of the sideline? Were they moving towards it with sufficient velocity?"

If you're worried about sneakiness, make the penalty happen when the coaches actually do try to sub players by faking. If you're worried about a cutoff to where the players are on the field, make the penalty happen when a subbing out player actually impedes the play.

Nov 6, 2002

Rooster Brooster posted:

How about instead of false starting when leaning, flinching, or moving your hands, it's only a false start if the offense player actually takes a step backward?

I disagree that it's a tremendous burden on the defense to have to wait for the actual ball snap, especially when they can already move as much as they want along the line.

I'd also be happy to get rid of off-sides calls where the defender stops and tries to reset, leaving in unabated or encroachment.

If you're worried about sneakiness, make the penalty happen when the coaches actually do try to sub players by faking. If you're worried about a cutoff to where the players are on the field, make the penalty happen when a subbing out player actually impedes the play.

Your ideas are all bad.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
4th and 15 from your own 25 is a very interesting spin on it, I always thought 20 or 25 was the better number but that was based on being from your own 35. I don't hate it but I still feel like it would be too easy for the better offenses in the league.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Your ideas are all bad.

Removing the sub penalty isn't bad if the player is clearly trying to get off the field. Just make it a personal foul to attempt any sneakines with it (which I'm not even sure exists, when is having a defender a foot from the sideline a benefit to you ever? It just removes the QB taking a cheap five yards.

Any changes to false starts is bad though, it shouldn't be even easier for QB's to pass the ball.

One change I would absolutely make though is intentional grounding is still in play out of the pocket. Make those QB's work for it.

Nov 6, 2002

I wonder, can we get the success rate on 4th and 15 on final drives where the team was behind one score? There would be no give up plays to muck things up.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Manoueverable posted:

4th and 15 from your own 25 is a very interesting spin on it, I always thought 20 or 25 was the better number but that was based on being from your own 35. I don't hate it but I still feel like it would be too easy for the better offenses in the league.

43 yard field goal if you just doink a pass incomplete which is pretty much a gimme FG in the NFL in _most_ conditions if you fail though. I like it, at least I like it enough to try it - the percentages look to be low 20s maybe (?) for success rate which isnt great and probably enough for folks to resist attempting it just because they can.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I wonder, can we get the success rate on 4th and 15 on final drives where the team was behind one score? There would be no give up plays to muck things up.

It's probably a tiny enough sample size that teams playing complete prevent D even in that situation would distort it.

Either way, they should implement it for a year regardless because kickoffs and onside kicks loving suck now .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Ban icing the kicker imo. It's a cheap tactic