Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
ITT we're watching FFTBattleground and playing along at home!

So what is it?

It's an AI FFT battle simulator where 8 generated teams battle in a single elimination tournament to be the champion. When a team wins, they get to take on the last team that won a tournament and became champions, if they win, they're the new reigning champions, otherwise the champs stay the champs.

Neat, so what do I do?
You watch the pre-battle screen and try to decide where to !bet your starting gil. You start with a base of 200g and always have at least that much (plus more when you level). Your odds change with the flow of betting, so if a roflstomp team is dominating and you bet them, you'll only win back a few gil, you can also get 6:1 or 8:1 longshots that pay HUGE upset wins.

You actually have access a TON of info, at a glance you know what classes the teams have, you can also use the ![color] [1/2/3/4] command to see detailed info in chat about that unit pre-fight (gear, skillsets, etc)

So what's this about "playing"?
One of the cool parts about FFTBG is that you create/grow a character by fighting in tournaments and buying skills/gear from chat. The skills/gear rotate every tournament. Your class will be random, unless you pay G to pick a class when signing up. You won't fight in EVERY tournament, but a priority system makes sure every one you sit out makes you surer to get into the next. I've only fought in one so far, as a Red Dragon that hosed poo poo up, very fun!

So that's the pitch!

A few things to note; this is basically FFT, but it feels like it has been wacked with a balancing stick, most of the classes feel viable, especially if they have a good secondary, they also play to their strengths (Chemists do a lot of phoenix down throwing, which in a 4v4 battle with high damage abilities is PRETTY CRUCIAL). The AI is decently smart, but sometimes make bonehead moves, and sometimes really brilliant moves (blocking a path in a certain way, or moving somewhere that seems pointless, but when they die they're on level ground so a monk can res them, etc). There are monsters, legendary skillsets, items and really insanely swing-y battles, it's a hoot to watch and fairly addictive!

Also unlike Salty, you don't need to be in another window to bet, come hang out!

https://www.twitch.tv/fftbattleground

There's alot more information in the twitch info panel below the stream :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

This hole, it was made for me.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The lesson I learned is never go all-in when there's a calculator on the field. I've seen calculators badly throw fights, or completely dominate. It's hilarious! But I lost all my gil :(

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
It's pretty fun. Someone linked this when it had 50 viewers and now it seems to have blown up to as many as 5k at times. The UI could stand to be a little better, I wouldn't mind a site for it that just let you see what abilities everyone has in an upcoming battle.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Do you have to join the discord to submit a character, or do you do that through twitch like the betting?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Do you have to join the discord to submit a character, or do you do that through twitch like the betting?

You do that through twitch, the Discord is just chatting about what's going on.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

man, the current champs are nasty.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Roobanguy posted:

man, the current champs are nasty.

It's not even the entire team, it's just that Time Mage whose AI is hell-bent on using the AoE skill. A lot of teams end up losing because the AI wastes their turns trying to cast buffs on teammates over and over, or casting spells that do fifteen damage, but all this TimeMage does is run in and cast damage spells that do more than half the health bar (sometimes 2/3) of the enemy's health in an AoE. I think if one team's AI manages to kill that one unit they could be beaten, but otherwise it's gonna be real tough.

That's why I think this might be less about units and more about what skills they have. Thieves seem good when they aren't wasting every turn trying to steal helmets. Chemists are also insane because items are crazy strong in comparison to White Mages who I've seen miss Raises more often than they manage to hit

e: Lancers are also absolutely nuts because their AI loves to use Jump every turn

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think if one team's AI manages to kill that one unit they could be beaten, but otherwise it's gonna be real tough.

lol

honestly that archer is also scary. even without charging he does 150+ damage with that gun.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Roobanguy posted:

lol

honestly that archer is also scary. even without charging he does 150+ damage with that gun.

Okay to be fair this team never had a chance, but I think other teams in the last few hours could have potentially done it. The only way this one wins is if, surprise surprise, the other team's time mage gets off a huge team-killing meteor

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Okay to be fair this team never had a chance, but I think other teams in the last few hours could have potentially done it. The only way this one wins is if, surprise surprise, the other team's time mage gets off a huge team-killing meteor

yeah the red team this go around seemed to be winning based more on luck and AI stupidity than anything else. especially their first round where every single hamado on those thieves went off.

even the orange time mage decided to kill themselves on them :v:

e: time is a flat circle.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 22, 2020

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This sounds like loads of fun, definitely something I can watch during my work shifts.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Double Lancer doing 500 damage a turn.

Guard Chemist just no-selling every attack sent his way was also hilarious.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the double lancers are scary as hell, especially if their secondary doesn't have very many chances to fire, they just walk around murdering everything and sometimes remembering they have enormous jump range/damage

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
btw this game totally made me get ahold of War Of The Lions to give it a proper play.

i had it on PSP way back when, but wasn't in the FFT mood, AM NOW!!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

War of the Lions also has a reasonable romhacking scene last I checked, which I guess has now culminated in this. I know WotL had some weird content differences with the original PSX release which was fixed through modding. I haven't played the game since I grew a brain and got good at video games so I've always thought it was hard despite everyone telling me it's easy, but there's some very well-liked difficulty mods for the game as well

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I can't believe I'm betting on a tree team.

EDIT: I shouldn't be surprised tree team failed.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 22, 2020

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

this loving death squire is the best.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Roobanguy posted:

this loving death squire is the best.

Taken before our time.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
This poo poo rules and I'm obsessed, but I wish there was a way to get into the fights more easily, I've gotten in once in like a week and some people seem like they get in all the time (that loving Bryan guy).

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

InnercityGriot posted:

This poo poo rules and I'm obsessed, but I wish there was a way to get into the fights more easily, I've gotten in once in like a week and some people seem like they get in all the time (that loving Bryan guy).

i think being twitch subbed boosts your priority a nice chunk

if you have amazon prime, you get 1 free monthly twitch sub, so link up your accounts and use it on this channel if you can

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

smarxist posted:

i think being twitch subbed boosts your priority a nice chunk

if you have amazon prime, you get 1 free monthly twitch sub, so link up your accounts and use it on this channel if you can

Thanks! Gonna try that.

For some people trying to figure out skill combos and good units, here's what I've seen that's dope:

- Wizard with Draw Out. Draw Out is powered up by magic power so this is a high damage combo.
- Anything with blade grasp or hamedo.
- Calculators with white magic. Full screen holies, reraise, good poo poo.
- Tiamats, holy dragons and Steel Giants are obvious, but don't sleep on Reapers, they have a good damage projectile and are undead, so if they get killed early they can come back at bad times for the enemy.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

On the flipside I think buffs are totally worthless and will cause the AI to desperately try to spam them every turn. White magic is also a big gamble because Raise can miss, meanwhile a Chemist is gonna be dropping X-Potions every turn. 3DPS 1Healer is pretty ideal if the healer is a chemist, but honestly 4DPS is gonna beat pretty much everything else.

Archers have been great because they'll very reliably just attack or charge every turn. Lancers similarly will spam Jump all the time which rules. Summons are a reasonable amount of damage that the AI is bad at walking out of range of. Black magic has been borderline worthless.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Oh god my team was awful and I was the worst.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

This stream has colonized my brain.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

GoodluckJonathan posted:

This stream has colonized my brain.

legit, i cant help but watch when its on.

im also perpetually at 100 points since i cant bet for poo poo

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

queeb posted:

legit, i cant help but watch when its on.

im also perpetually at 100 points since i cant bet for poo poo

I've had five Tree Teams win Round 1 and wipe out my bank.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
One of these days I'll get a character in the game :negative:

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I have tripled my gil in one battle somehow, I am now addicted.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Just doubled my money again. This green team is super stomping everyone.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Is there a way to know what all the ! commands are for this stream? some I've picked up from context, but things always move fast.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Is there a way to know what all the ! commands are for this stream? some I've picked up from context, but things always move fast.

It's all in the description of the stream, scroll down.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Does this run vanilla FFT classes or do they run stuff like Celdia's Complete Patch? Because it'd be super dope to see Celdia's running on this.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Iamgoofball posted:

Does this run vanilla FFT classes or do they run stuff like Celdia's Complete Patch? Because it'd be super dope to see Celdia's running on this.

It's done using some modified patch since there's plenty of nonsense going on.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Iamgoofball posted:

It’s modded, for example the generic knight class now gets magic sword skills, and steal Gil berserks enemies.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Iamgoofball posted:

It seems like vanilla knights are modified to use holy knight skills. The champions right now have a knight who just did 520 damage with a Stasis Sword.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
Absolutely love this stream, creator seems like a pretty cool guy too. I've been watching and hanging out in the Discord for like 2 weeks now.

I'm actually the Lancer in this clip who starts out the absolute nonsense: S U C C

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
White just won the lottery goddamn.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Darius099 posted:

I'm actually the Lancer in this clip who starts out the absolute nonsense: S U C C

What the gently caress is even happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I am dead weight every time I get in.

EDIT: Red rolled two double-spear ninjas.

EDIT2: God drat that final ruled.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 24, 2020