Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

FISHMANPET posted:

The streaming services are telling creators that they need shows that people will watch while they're also on their phones, the TV becomes the second screen. Which is a great place for filler! So why, while distributors are asking for shows that can be background, the scripted content they're releasing is all "prestige" style in sorry and production quality and season length?

Things like NCIS are the filler though, genre shows are too expensive for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh poo poo a Krenim weapon from the Temporal War!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jerusalem posted:

ESPECIALLY WELSH! I've seen their rugby players, I can't imagine how much scarier their Space Rugby Players are :ohdear:

*Sprugby

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I legit, genuinely, 100% really enjoyed that episode a whole lot, it really worked for me, great stuff and please keep it up!

That said, I did get a laugh that from the crew's perspective the Captain says,"Commander, in my Ready Room NOW!" and moments later he emerges with a hosed up hand and is going out of his way to be nice to people :allears:

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Jerusalem posted:

ESPECIALLY WELSH! I've seen their rugby players, I can't imagine how much scarier their Space Rugby Players are :ohdear:

All rugby players look the same till you hit the pacific islands, then they go up a whole other level.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

FlamingLiberal posted:

You would think that the post-Dominion War era would be more peaceful, since everyone had to spend a couple of years throwing every ship they had at the nearly endless Dominion war machine.

It's an interesting thought experiment. The Klingon and Romulan militaries are wrecked, what happens to their subject races who want independence? What about the Ferengi, arguably who probably have at least a sizable fleet at this point, and how do they leverage that for the most profit? Do they lease their ships to the Klingons who are probably desperate for ships and extort smaller species for protection money?

It would probably be more chaotic, even if it wasn't more outright violent.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 18, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

It'd be nice if Star Trek was interested in exploring that time, grappling with the difficulties of upholding utopian ideals during times of crisis and with no straightforward answers. Maybe with a new challenge every week, with the through-line being the crew's personal character arcs.

Oh well!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It'd be nice if Star Trek was interested in exploring that time, grappling with the difficulties of upholding utopian ideals during times of crisis and with no straightforward answers. Maybe with a new challenge every week, with the through-line being the crew's personal character arcs.

Oh well!

I think DS9 holds up pretty well still, no need to remake it just yet!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

No Dignity posted:

I think DS9 holds up pretty well still, no need to remake it just yet!

I'd like something with a slightly more optimistic bent than DS9. Something with the ethos of the scene in DISCO where the Federation guy turns down the Emerald Chain offer even though it would be beneficial on a material level but disastrous on an ethical one.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the person who does that dumb camera move

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olatunde_Osunsanmi

He is also apparently directing that Section 31 movie

Osunsanmi didn't direct the most recent episode and it still had one blatant, pointless camera flip so I think that's just part of the Disco house style at this point

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

The Chairman posted:

Osunsanmi didn't direct the most recent episode and it still had one blatant, pointless camera flip so I think that's just part of the Disco house style at this point
Yeah, it comes from the top, found this quote from Frakes in a video essay on this topic the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kXy2nzqiLs&t=681s

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

V-Men posted:

It's an interesting thought experiment. The Klingon and Romulan militaries are wrecked, what happens to their subject races who want independence? What about the Ferengi, arguably who probably have at least a sizable fleet at this point, and how do they leverage that for the most profit? Do they lease their ships to the Klingons who are probably desperate for ships and extort smaller species for protection money?

It would probably be more chaotic, even if it wasn't more outright violent.

They haven't got any subject races.
Of course, they MUST do. But they don't as far as the show is concerned.

I've said it before but we really don't know ANYTHING AT ALL about how the Star Empire or Klingon Empire are made. The way the occupation is pitched is that it's basically unique but you'd kinda assume Klingons would do that poo poo to every world they occupied.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
If I remember right Osunsanmi is basically the guy in change of the visual language of the show - he always directs the season openers and finales.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I'm not sure i'm bothering with Discovery this season, is the captain still being a one person army?

Don't worry, she meets her match this week.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

swickles posted:

Don't worry, she meets her match this week.

I actually enjoyed this episode more than the initial premise led me to think I would. Very much some 'this is probably our final season' stuff this week.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Wee Bairns posted:

I actually enjoyed this episode more than the initial premise led me to think I would. Very much some 'this is probably our final season' stuff this week.

Oh it was great. Time loop/time jump episodes are always a good time, especially in Star Trek. I was hoping Reno would have just been super cavalier about Stamets being in a time loop and just jumping in to help for that loop.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
This was a pretty fun one; the climax didn't quite gel for me, but lots of good moments otherwise.

I particularly liked Stamets in this one, the way he had to re-live each loop himself had good "O'Brien must suffer" vibes

It would've been nice to see Lorca (and maybe even Pike) again, but I imagine that's just casting/timing/budget constraints

We have learned exactly one thing about Gen Rhys and by god we're going to use it to advance the plot

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Modern Star Trek Megathread: Temporal Unpleasantness

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
“Paul, are you stuck in a time loop right now?”

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Taear posted:

They haven't got any subject races.
Of course, they MUST do. But they don't as far as the show is concerned.

The mind's eye concerns a Klingon subject world that's in rebellion. At the time the Klingon attitude seems to be 'gently caress it, we could crush the rebellion, but we don't have any particular need for their world and they're making a real go of it so we'll probably just let them have it'

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 18, 2024

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Well that was just a fun episode.

Linus digging that 32nd century fashion got a chuckle from me. Also everytime Stamets had to clear out the spore drive area.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love that when Stamets was in the Lorca period he just told everybody to gently caress off and they instantly cleared out :allears:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Well that was just a fun episode.

Linus digging that 32nd century fashion got a chuckle from me. Also everytime Stamets had to clear out the spore drive area.

I love Linus and their various spawn.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Episode ruled. My new personal favorite episode of Discovery. Hot Burnham on Burnham action

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It turns out perfectly symmetrical violence CAN fix things!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Llamadeus posted:

Yeah, it comes from the top, found this quote from Frakes in a video essay on this topic the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kXy2nzqiLs&t=681s

2.68 second average shot lengths is crazy. I never thought about how annoying this must be to do as an actor. Are they filming longer chunks on multiple cameras at once and cutting between them or are they really calling action, Anson Mount gets to speak a single line, then cut and reset?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think shows generally set up a single angle, run the whole scene a few times, change camera angle, run it again, etc.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I guess that would make more sense than what I was imagining.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MikeJF posted:

I think shows generally set up a single angle, run the whole scene a few times, change camera angle, run it again, etc.

Yeah, you're going to want to film as much as you can that will be useable from when ever you set up a camera lighting. Each set up takes so long that it's just the most practical way to do it.

It also makes it easier to edit when you have a section shot from a few different angles, as makes it easier to go to reaction shots and what if needed.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Jerusalem posted:

It turns out perfectly symmetrical violence CAN fix things!

That’s the true Farnsworth parabdox.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Gonz posted:

Oh poo poo a Krenim weapon from the Temporal War!

CTV SciFi played Voyager's Year of Hell Pt 1 to lead into this week's Disco. This was the second time they played a related episode beforehand actually

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sony is now exploring a potential purchase of Paramount

https://www.ign.com/articles/sony-reportedly-in-talks-to-join-a-bid-to-buy-paramount

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Christ, that might actually be worse

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Christ, that might actually be worse

There is no good end for Paramount here and it really sucks. It's either go bankrupt or get snapped up and/or snapped to pieces by a carousel of lovely larger media companies.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Genuine question because I honestly can't remember, in this episode Moll talks openly about the progenitors by name. When did they find out about the progenitors? They knew they were after something valuable that the Federation wanted and that was a big enough deal that a synthetic being was making GBS threads his pants over it, but I thought the nature of the actual tech itself and the existence of the progenitors was still a closely guarded secret everywhere but on Discovery where apparently the whole crew now knows?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

There is no good end for Paramount here and it really sucks. It's either go bankrupt or get snapped up and/or snapped to pieces by a carousel of lovely larger media companies.
I mean it's going to be the latter, I don't think they will be independent long enough to have to go into Chapter 11.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Jerusalem posted:

Genuine question because I honestly can't remember, in this episode Moll talks openly about the progenitors by name. When did they find out about the progenitors? They knew they were after something valuable that the Federation wanted and that was a big enough deal that a synthetic being was making GBS threads his pants over it, but I thought the nature of the actual tech itself and the existence of the progenitors was still a closely guarded secret everywhere but on Discovery where apparently the whole crew now knows?

I don’t think it was ever shown on screen, but it was also never explained how they knew Discovery had gone to Trill. It’s either a lazy plot hole, or there’s a leak.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

blastron posted:

I don’t think it was ever shown on screen, but it was also never explained how they knew Discovery had gone to Trill. It’s either a lazy plot hole, or there’s a leak.

They buried some code during Book's chat? We'll see I guess.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

blastron posted:

In the first episode they said the scavengers monitor Starfleet communications. That's how they found out about the Romulan ship having something special onboard at exactly the same moment starfleet did.

They never explained how random crooks monitor starfleet communications though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That episode was much better than Discovery usually is and it turns out the trick was to have the characters' characters be important! Who knew? *Looks at the entirety of Trek that's considered "good"* Ah, well.