Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
On IMDB the reviews of Discovery episodes have cratered (they usually average out about 5) but this one was a 7.
I guess to a degree this shows how a roughly similar group of people can make Discovery be poo poo but SNW be good - they're good at one offs and bad at continuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
IMDb reviews are a worthless metric, just like every other online review aggregator open to the general public.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

IMDb reviews are a worthless metric, just like every other online review aggregator open to the general public.

There is by now a tired meme making the rounds on Reddit that's like

Critic Score High / Audience Score Low = go woke go broke, hire fans, bottom text
Critic Score Low / Audience Score High = lol out of touch critics what do they know
Critic Score Low / Audience Score Low = we were right all along
Critic Score High / Audience Score High = we were right all along

They're just A Thing to reinforce your biases.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Try logging out and back in or restarting the app? I just checked on my phone and it's there?

It shows up but it's unavailable, but there's a couple of topics on Amazon's community forum asking why it isn't available so apparently a bunch of people are having the same issue.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I realized today there was another thing that would've blown the episode up to a 10/10: When Adira asked Stamets why they lost 6 hours, his answer should've been "Time Bug" with her nodding in acknowledgement considering it was immediately after the joke Michael made that all she'd have to do is tell her crew "Time Bug" and they would understand. Felt like it was a teed up joke but Stamets swung the bat and completely missed.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 20, 2024

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DaveKap posted:

I realized today there was another thing that would've blown the episode up to a 10/10: When Adira asked Stamets why they lost 6 hours, his answer should've been "Time Bug" with her nodding in acknowledgement considering it was immediately after the joke Michael made that all she'd have to do is tell her crew "Time Bug" and they would understand. Felt like it was a teed up joke but Stamets swung the bat and completely missed.

It was too teed up. If he'd done it, it would have been a groan not a chuckle IMO.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Facebook Aunt posted:

It was too teed up. If he'd done it, it would have been a groan not a chuckle IMO.
Agree to disagree, I wanted the chuckle.

I do sometimes worry if I'm not just trying to find things to complain about and always offering the other side of how something could have been executed just to have ammunition. In this case, nah, I really did want him to just say "Time Bug?" I think it's something SNW and LD absolutely would have done.

I'm sure everyone here is already subscribed but just in case you're not, this new Intake for Picard is especially good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-xPMu4Q6wA

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 20, 2024

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It shows up but it's unavailable, but there's a couple of topics on Amazon's community forum asking why it isn't available so apparently a bunch of people are having the same issue.

Oh are you doing it via Prime? I'm on the actual Paramount app and it works, might be on Amazon's end

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I liked the episode but they shouldnt have made the "lesson" so loving on the nose.

Raynor's gonna start thinking Michael has magic powers

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I am an 'old' at 48. I grew up with nothing but reruns of TOS. My grandpappy and I would watch reruns of Kirk and co. at noons on Saturday on CBC :canada:, more religiously than church.. He had all the old James Blush episode adaptation novels which I read til the spines split. The preteen excitement of the TNG premiere had me snipping articles from the National Enquirer and collecting box art from various breakfast cereals promoting the 'new' series.
I got so spoiled. We got spoiled.Trek has continued, flourished and faltered over the years, but has always provided me new content and always had that positive spin on the future. I still genuinely look forward to each new installment, from the low drek of Picard to the highs of LDS/SNW.

But

As an old fan, I kinda pine for the days before the internet, when theories, plots and speculations were shared amongst fanzines and stuff. Where non-sanctioned book collections like The Best of Trek (and their awesome covers) were the only connection we had with the fandom. Where each new Ballentine or Pocket Book novel was an anticipated treat, Starlog was a bible and the old FASA RPGs were expanding the 'canon'.
sigh

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
There are many things to miss about the analogue past, for sure (and not purely for simply nostalgic reasons, either)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Personally I miss the earlier internet when the trek communities had started to come together online but before it has turned into... whatever it is now. When people were still out in all these disparate groups and connections both in real life and online.

I mean yeah there was still negativity but it wasn't contentified toxicity like there is now. Or mostly existing on the five or so websites that is the internet these days.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 20, 2024

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Wee Bairns posted:

I am an 'old' at 48. I grew up with nothing but reruns of TOS. My grandpappy and I would watch reruns of Kirk and co. at noons on Saturday on CBC :canada:, more religiously than church.. He had all the old James Blush episode adaptation novels which I read til the spines split. The preteen excitement of the TNG premiere had me snipping articles from the National Enquirer and collecting box art from various breakfast cereals promoting the 'new' series.
I got so spoiled. We got spoiled.Trek has continued, flourished and faltered over the years, but has always provided me new content and always had that positive spin on the future. I still genuinely look forward to each new installment, from the low drek of Picard to the highs of LDS/SNW.

But

As an old fan, I kinda pine for the days before the internet, when theories, plots and speculations were shared amongst fanzines and stuff. Where non-sanctioned book collections like The Best of Trek (and their awesome covers) were the only connection we had with the fandom. Where each new Ballentine or Pocket Book novel was an anticipated treat, Starlog was a bible and the old FASA RPGs were expanding the 'canon'.
sigh

High five fellow Old (I'm 10 years older than you but shared most of that Trek experience in my life)

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Wee Bairns posted:

the low drek of Picard

Damned if "Lower Drecks" isn't a fantastic summary/nickname for Picard.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Wee Bairns posted:

But

sigh

I watched a documentary on Oregon Trail recently and they printed the code in a magazine back then so people could type it in and run at home. Wasn't any other way yet to distribute to folks like today.

Some of that survived with the internet early on. I remember reading cheats and easter eggs and lots of lies and rumors about videogames and other stuff as kids.

Honestly I think that mystique could survive todays technology just fine, it just cannot survive economic advancement. If there's something people like to do or participate on or experience in any way there's someone out there who sees that only as a resource to be capitalized.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious
It's...interesting that an episode about skipping through time and revisiting history that can not be changed has brought about this conversation.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Wee Bairns posted:

But

sigh

I use to watch episodes on CBC long ago as well. I had totally forgotten Star Trek had been on there until you mentioned this. I remember watching the episode about Spocks brain.

Things have definitely changed, our world has gotten bigger and smaller at the same time.

In my college days reading about Kirks return via the Borg. What a weird thing that was.

Almost as weird as that story I heard about how simulations of Kick and Picard were co captains of an spherical Enterprise that went off to learn all that was learnable(sounds familar huh) and came back only to find out the Federation had ascended to a higher plane.

Oh and Data was on the ship and hadn't left his quarters for a few hundred years.

It was probably someones nutty fanfic.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Hah, that's probably a story in one of Pocket's old Strange New Worlds(heh) fan-submitted contest books. Some really fun and oddball stories in those iirc

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Wee Bairns posted:

Hah, that's probably a story in one of Pocket's old Strange New Worlds(heh) fan-submitted contest books. Some really fun and oddball stories in those iirc

That would explain it!

Only heard about it second hand so the story might be crazier than I was told.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It absolutely is, it’s basically the only one I remember from reading those as a kid. It gets very very dumb at one point, but the idea of an immortal Data exploring the greater cosmos for all eternity with the digital ghosts of his dead friends and recognizing it for the hell it actually is is almost accidentally an incredible premise. It really whiffs the ending though iirc.

Finally had a chance to actually catch up on Disco and loved the last episode. It’s crazy that it took this long for Burnham to really consistently feel like a Captain but Sonequa Martin-Green is absolutely loving nailing it this season. There were obviously moments of it last season but the writing for this phase of her character finally feels settled and established. Her scenes with Rayner (and later, the bridge crew) in this one are some of her best on the entire show imo. Callum Keith Rennie has also become a predictably great addition to the cast. I was always going to be sad to see Disco end, but having an episode this good so late in the show’s run is twisting the knife a bit.

The Trill episode before it was just kind of okay. I’m not as critical of the Adira & Grey scenes as some here, but it just felt like the show didn’t know what to do with them in this episode other than to have the breakup. As much as I liked seeing Wilson Cruz get to break loose a bit, it might’ve been a better choice to have Jinaal inhabit Grey in order to have a scene or two of Adira talking through their feelings on the matter with someone who both was and wasn’t Grey simultaneously. The line about Jinaal not being able to inhabit a joined Trill felt like a bit of a cop-out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Trill episode before it was just kind of okay. I’m not as critical of the Adira & Grey scenes as some here, but it just felt like the show didn’t know what to do with them in this episode other than to have the breakup. As much as I liked seeing Wilson Cruz get to break loose a bit, it might’ve been a better choice to have Jinaal inhabit Grey in order to have a scene or two of Adira talking through their feelings on the matter with someone who both was and wasn’t Grey simultaneously. The line about Jinaal not being able to inhabit a joined Trill felt like a bit of a cop-out.
Those characters have just been pretty boring overall since they were introduced. Adira was supposed to be this young tech whiz or something when they showed up in Season 3, but it feels like a lot of that has been underwritten. Grey is just kind of boring despite all of the weird things they did with that character, between initially being dead, then being a katra ghost or whatever, and then having that ghost go into a synthetic body.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think it’s a combination of neither being really experienced actors and the writers not knowing how to write anything interesting for teenage characters.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Grey's actor in particular is just not very good, and I've never understood why they have given so much screen time to either of these characters over the last 3 seasons. If you are going to do that you need more there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Grey's actor isn't very good and Adira just feels like Season 1 Tilly Again But Worse. Neither bring anything interesting to the show.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm still not even sure what Adira's role is on the ship? They were supposed to be some kind of genius but it doesn't feel like that has come up in 2 seasons now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Engineering maybe? I have no idea.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Adira was infinitely more interesting when they were the first and only non-Trill person to permanently join with a symbiont, something they seem to have forgotten has happened. It would also give them instant expertise in a variety of zany fields, including first hand accounts of history for hundreds of years which might be useful right about now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
They also haven’t really done anything interesting with Stamets and Culber basically adopting Adira. They didn’t even have a bog-standard “are you doing okay?” b-story epilogue between Stamets and Adira after coming back from the mission having broken up with Grey. They even teed it up earlier with the scene where Stamets is oblivious to what’s coming but Reno sees it immediately.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Based on how they came back to Rhys’ love of the Constitution class (which I’d guess might also come into play with the possible ISS Enterprise), I wonder if they’re actually teeing stuff up for future episodes.

Maybe what they’re really doing is taking a page from Voyager’s book, giving us false hope of interesting character development only to dash it on the rocks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They also haven’t really done anything interesting with Stamets and Culber basically adopting Adira. They didn’t even have a bog-standard “are you doing okay?” b-story epilogue between Stamets and Adira after coming back from the mission having broken up with Grey. They even teed it up earlier with the scene where Stamets is oblivious to what’s coming but Reno sees it immediately.

Yeah the whole thing is just kind of a pointless mess. It feels like they want to drop it since it never went anywhere, but occasionally dip in because they feel bad about dropping it. It's weird.

Speaking of, the one part of the Trill episode I did like was Culber's actor getting to flex and play something different. I found the "go talk to some invisible bugs" plot boring but it was fun to see him doing something new.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Wilson Cruz has been consistently great and they really should have given him more to do earlier in the show’s run. “Killing” him off back in season 1 or 2 or whenever it was and then having his character plots be dominated by the aftermath of that for a while was such a huge mistake.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah the whole thing is just kind of a pointless mess. It feels like they want to drop it since it never went anywhere, but occasionally dip in because they feel bad about dropping it. It's weird.

Speaking of, the one part of the Trill episode I did like was Culber's actor getting to flex and play something different. I found the "go talk to some invisible bugs" plot boring but it was fun to see him doing something new.

Ironically I thought that would’ve been a good opportunity for Adira, use their special connection to symbiotes despite not being Trill, impulsively volunteer for an emotionally taxing job due to being distressed about Grey, maybe learn a thing or two along the way? But yeah, might as well give Culber something to do besides sympathetic smiling

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wilson Cruz has been consistently great and they really should have given him more to do earlier in the show’s run. “Killing” him off back in season 1 or 2 or whenever it was and then having his character plots be dominated by the aftermath of that for a while was such a huge mistake.
He died at the end of Season 1 and then gets resurrected in Season 2

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm pretty sure they didn't intend to bring him back, he was going to be permanently dead but there was a huge outcry so they hurriedly resurrected him in season 2.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

MikeJF posted:

I'm pretty sure they didn't intend to bring him back, he was going to be permanently dead but there was a huge outcry so they hurriedly resurrected him in season 2.

He's space mushroom Jesus.

Adira and Grey could've been interesting but they mostly feel like they were written to pander? The writers didn't really have a plan for what do with either, or how to integrate them into the cast. They've just kind of been there since S3. I actually forgot about Grey until the Trill episode and then remembered they're actually a golem like Picard. The whole sub-plot has kind of stood out to me as being uncomfortable in how it seemed forced.

But Stamets and Culber have also just kind of been there since S3, it's a little strange. I know Disco has mostly been the Michael show the entire time but Stamets in particular seems have been a bigger part for the first two seasons and then pretty suddenly stopped existing.

Edit: Wait it was a plot point in episode one of THIS season that Stamets felt like he was no longer relevant because the mushroom drive was dropped in favour of something not stupid and they have already totally dropped that plot thread it seems? Even the show is aware how irrelevant they've made him.

Gollom fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 21, 2024

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Gollom posted:

But Stamets and Culber have also just kind of been there since S3, it's a little strange. I know Disco has mostly been the Michael show the entire time but Stamets in particular seems have been a bigger part for the first two seasons and then pretty suddenly stopped existing.

Writers might be trying to avoid the tortured gay couple stereotype (after diving head first into it on the first go around) but that doesn't leave much room for character growth or screen time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don’t think they were written to pander at all, they just haven’t had much to do beyond their initial introductions and story arcs. Once Grey became a golem and Adira grew into their role among the Starfleet crew, both of their storylines completely stalled out and haven’t really progressed since.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It absolutely is, it’s basically the only one I remember from reading those as a kid. It gets very very dumb at one point, but the idea of an immortal Data exploring the greater cosmos for all eternity with the digital ghosts of his dead friends and recognizing it for the hell it actually is is almost accidentally an incredible premise. It really whiffs the ending though iirc.

Finally had a chance to actually catch up on Disco and loved the last episode. It’s crazy that it took this long for Burnham to really consistently feel like a Captain but Sonequa Martin-Green is absolutely loving nailing it this season. There were obviously moments of it last season but the writing for this phase of her character finally feels settled and established. Her scenes with Rayner (and later, the bridge crew) in this one are some of her best on the entire show imo. Callum Keith Rennie has also become a predictably great addition to the cast. I was always going to be sad to see Disco end, but having an episode this good so late in the show’s run is twisting the knife a bit.

The trill seem to be uniquely accepting of a ghost in a synthetic body, but I would worry about how adding another ghost running on a computer might not work the same as with a meat brain. Of course this is a TV show and nothing matters. But things like Odo and Kurzon merging were weird and probably not something they want to risk happening again. And the first trills we saw in Discovery seemed pretty conservative. It makes sense they wouldn't want to risk overloading Grey's hardware even without the "joined trill" excuse.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's actually pretty weird that they let Grey resume his training at all. Joined trill can't be pond whisperers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
I hate feeling cynical about Trek but they've done so little with either character that it really feels the entire character concept was "lgbtq checkbox"

That being said, I also feel that way about the Android, cyborg, weird head alien, etc, characters too but those don't feel pandering in the same way for obvious reasons