Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Given how far we are in the future I’m assuming Gray’s golem is virtually indistinguishable from a normal flesh and bone body and the only weirdness comes from the nature of the Trill katra stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gollom posted:

Edit: Wait it was a plot point in episode one of THIS season that Stamets felt like he was no longer relevant because the mushroom drive was dropped in favour of something not stupid and they have already totally dropped that plot thread it seems? Even the show is aware how irrelevant they've made him.
Yes that was mentioned in the first episode in a captain's log

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rubber Chicken posted:

I hate feeling cynical about Trek but they've done so little with either character that it really feels the entire character concept was "lgbtq checkbox"

That being said, I also feel that way about the Android, cyborg, weird head alien, etc, characters too but those don't feel pandering in the same way for obvious reasons

Discovery is in that weird hazy middle of "we want these characters in this story because we want to tick off some boxes and don't actually care about them" and "we want these characters in this story because we genuinely want these characters to be in this story... we just suck at writing them lol." Though I've always been more inclined to lean towards their hearts being in the right place but they suck more than they're just incredibly cynical and also suck.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Right, I think it’s lovely to reduce the issues with those characters down to “they’re just there to check a box”.

The problem is by no means their presence on the show, the problem is the writers running out of interesting things for either character to do. Both characters have had potential since their debut, it just feels like there was never any thought given to what either character would continue to do on the show once their main arc (Gray appearing to only Adira, and Adira being a non-Trill stuck with a symbiont) had been resolved.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

nine-gear crow posted:

Discovery is in that weird hazy middle of "we want these characters in this story because we want to tick off some boxes and don't actually care about them" and "we want these characters in this story because we genuinely want these characters to be in this story... we just suck at writing them lol." Though I've always been more inclined to lean towards their hearts being in the right place but they suck more than they're just incredibly cynical and also suck.

It can be both. You can easily have well-meaning people and cynical box checkers in the same organization.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Right, I think it’s lovely to reduce the issues with those characters down to “they’re just there to check a box”.

The problem is by no means their presence on the show, the problem is the writers running out of interesting things for either character to do. Both characters have had potential since their debut, it just feels like there was never any thought given to what either character would continue to do on the show once their main arc (Gray appearing to only Adira, and Adira being a non-Trill stuck with a symbiont) had been resolved.

Yeah this seems right. Adira got a big coming out moment with being non-binary, but it turns out no one else on the ship really cared? Which is probably how it should be? "You're non-binary? Thanks for letting us know, we'll update your personnel file."

Adira has a slug inside them? Okay. Once they properly joined with the slug it stopped mattering.

I guess they were kind of a prodigy? Very good at engineering for their age and experience? But among a crew of people who are all supposed to be very bright it's kind of so what. You're really good at your job? Great. So is everyone else.

There is nothing special for them to do. Might as well be spider-head guy who never talks at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gollom posted:

Edit: Wait it was a plot point in episode one of THIS season that Stamets felt like he was no longer relevant because the mushroom drive was dropped in favour of something not stupid and they have already totally dropped that plot thread it seems? Even the show is aware how irrelevant they've made him.

I don't think it's been dropped, it was front and center in the previous episode where he has to meet with Rayner and is getting all pumped up about the progenitor tech, Rayner boots him out and Tilly blows up at Rayner because it's the most animated and excited she's seen Stamets been since it became clear the Spore Drive wasn't going to end up being anything but a weird footnote in science history about the single spaceship/pilot combo that could actually use it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Which honestly makes no sense, even if they can't mass distribute it, being able to instantly jump anywhere is so massively valuable that it makes zero sense that they wouldn't have as many spore drive ships as they can find pilots. Especially since season 4 established that replicating the drive is a solved issue and that other people can be pilots.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MikeJF posted:

Which honestly makes no sense, even if they can't mass distribute it, being able to instantly jump anywhere is so massively valuable that it makes zero sense that they wouldn't have as many spore drive ships as they can find pilots. Especially since season 4 established that replicating the drive is a solved issue and that other people can be pilots.

Discovery doesn't seem much faster than the other ships, despite being able to travel anywhere in a few seconds. They shroomport to Trill and the other guys arrive . . . the next day? Despite having to go to betazed, find there wasn't a clue anywhere on that planet, go back to the last clue planet, find the clue they missed the first time, go buy a thing on the black market, and then go to Trill in time to plant the thing.

The future was excited about shrooms as an alternative to dilithium, but now that an infinite source of dilithium has been found interstellar travel seems pretty trivial for everyone.

The shroom dimension is also inhabited by shroom people who seem not totally chill with people using their home as a shortcut? And they can make humans hallucinate. And make shroom clones. And do who knows what else if they get riled up. Just one more factor that makes the shroom drive more trouble than it's worth.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

This kind of thing gets bought up all the time because DISCO has no follow through on any of the interesting sci-fi ideas that they put in the show.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The number of possible pilots went from 1 to millions then back down to 2 after Kwejian exploded, so it's still pretty unsuitable for mass adoption when they have another no dilithium alternative ready to roll out in it's place

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah it's not going to be a widespread drive but it's absolutely something you'd always maintain for rapid response and instant transport as much as you could.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This kind of thing gets bought up all the time because DISCO has no follow through on any of the interesting sci-fi ideas that they put in the show.

My number 1 peeve with most scfi shows about humans exploring space and discovering new stuff.

Stargate actually handled it well with all sorts of advances by the end of the series.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

My number 1 peeve with most scfi shows about humans exploring space and discovering new stuff.

Stargate actually handled it well with all sorts of advances by the end of the series.

Yeah, Stargate was one of the few that were good at that. Haven't seen it in a while, but I seem to recall Babylon 5 was pretty good at that sort of thing as well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Stargate was good but I do think they went a bit too fast in the end. I liked that early on Prometheus was effectively a bunch of sealed metal boxes with a cargo ship hyperdrive they only half understood strapped to the back.

They shouldn't have had them become basically experts so fast. Atlantis was worse for this, the city should've stayed almost magic for longer.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, Stargate was one of the few that were good at that. Haven't seen it in a while, but I seem to recall Babylon 5 was pretty good at that sort of thing as well.

It helps that Babylon 5's tech level is pretty restricted compared to Star Trek -- no warp drive, no transporter, no replicator, no holodeck -- and it's pretty good at thinking through the implications of the technology it does have, like the jump gates and psychics

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I really liked how Bab5's hyperspace was like an ocean. If you went too far you could get lost and never find your way back.

And there were things in it.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
There were also people who would go into it and try to chart and explore it. Which is pretty dangerous, all things considered.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And there were things in it.

this is giving a lot more weight to the encounter with the Fen than it deserves.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

The Chairman posted:

It helps that Babylon 5's tech level is pretty restricted compared to Star Trek -- no warp drive, no transporter, no replicator, no holodeck -- and it's pretty good at thinking through the implications of the technology it does have, like the jump gates and psychics

Babylon 5's concepts were planned out so good NASA was extremely invested in using the Starfury design as a forklift for work in zero-g for a long time.

JMS only requested they keep the name.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Rubber Chicken posted:

I hate feeling cynical about Trek but they've done so little with either character that it really feels the entire character concept was "lgbtq checkbox"

That being said, I also feel that way about the Android, cyborg, weird head alien, etc, characters too but those don't feel pandering in the same way for obvious reasons

Theyve done more with the saurian guy this season than ever before and I wish they'd done it earlier. More characters need to not be so full of themselves.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Last Call posted:

Babylon 5's concepts were planned out so good NASA was extremely invested in using the Starfury design as a forklift for work in zero-g for a long time.

JMS only requested they keep the name.

I've heard this a bunch. Does anyone have any source for it? Because that's not really how NASA works when it comes to designing things.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

MikeJF posted:

I've heard this a bunch. Does anyone have any source for it? Because that's not really how NASA works when it comes to designing things.

It's from JMS himself.

He tells the story so I don't know what to tell you other than he's either telling the truth or lying.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm guessing a NASA guy said 'hey we've got something similar on the concept board, don't mind if we steal it, do you?' in a joking manner and JMS took it way too seriously.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
That might be the case.

It easily explains things.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
“Showing interest” is also diplomatic language for “yeah that’s cool”

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't like when Gray is on screen because his skin weirds me out. I don't know what it is, it just looks fake and weird. I googled pictures of Ian Alexander and they look normal, so I don't know what it is. But every time I see Gray on screen I get an uncanny feeling. Maybe they use makeup in a weird way on them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

I'm guessing a NASA guy said 'hey we've got something similar on the concept board, don't mind if we steal it, do you?' in a joking manner and JMS took it way too seriously.

Don't forget that Straczynski spent quite some time creeping on Claudia Christian because he mistakenly thought she briefly flirted with him once.

The Chairman posted:

“Showing interest” is also diplomatic language for “yeah that’s cool”

Especially with government agencies. "Hey, this is neat, we might be interested in this" is quite often code for, "OK, that's nice, call my assistant's assistant's intern and we'll set up a meeting."

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It's hard to think of a moment in the past 30 years where NASA would have been seriously in the market for a single-seat spacecraft. We're talking what, spending a few billion dollars to replace a small portion of ISS EVAs?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Isn’t JMS kinda notorious for stretching the truth and outright lying about poo poo?

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Strikes me as a supreme one-two punch of writer laziness to 1) have the big thing you're serializing in your final season "a search for clues" with the characters literally referring to them as "clues," getting back together on the bridge at the end of the episode and going "time to search for the next clue!" 2) have a hard-nosed gruff commander who has to learn that this crew thrives on empathy and communication! be your big new character addition

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Isn’t JMS kinda notorious for stretching the truth and outright lying about poo poo?

I can't remember if they did it for B5, but I do remember JMS being proud that Crusade had NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab signed on officially as the shows science advisors, so he was definitely talking with those types

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When he was meeting with all the crew in the previous episode and limiting the meeting to a very short face to face for each I was thinking "God this guy would be a great boss, he is so loving good at meetings, no time wasted"

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

When you consider how many times this series paused the life threatening scenario so the characters could have a drawn-out heartfelt conversation with each other before finally executing a solution, it is really funny that Raynor doesn't have time for the bullshit. His ship's life threatening scenarios probably never allowed its crew to get emotional.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

DaveKap posted:

When you consider how many times this series paused the life threatening scenario so the characters could have a drawn-out heartfelt conversation with each other before finally executing a solution, it is really funny that Raynor doesn't have time for the bullshit. His ship's life threatening scenarios probably never allowed its crew to get emotional.

Was anyone counting the 30 seconds when Rayner had to talk everyone down before everything exploded? It felt astonishingly short by Discovery standards.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Man who gives a poo poo, it was a good scene

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah that's the kind of thing that is annoying when the show is bad, but when it's good you don't notice or care. If the audience is sitting around counting down seconds instead of paying attention to the scene, you failed on a more fundamental level.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah that's the kind of thing that is annoying when the show is bad, but when it's good you don't notice or care. If the audience is sitting around counting down seconds instead of paying attention to the scene, you failed on a more fundamental level.
Exactly this.

But also I was just making a joke.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm never going to forget last season when the bridge is literally on fire and they are having a big teary heart to heart as the crew has 30 seconds to get out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Everyone gasping their heartfelt goodbyes as the oxygen level plummets.