Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What's the problem? They got out fine. Starfleet obviously trains its people to know how long they have for speeches and goodbyes. One of the better solutions to Kobayashi maru is just good old fashioned speech management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Khanstant posted:

What's the problem? They got out fine. Starfleet obviously trains its people to know how long they have for speeches and goodbyes. One of the better solutions to Kobayashi maru is just good old fashioned speech management.

Poor Captain Larasrs. Cheated his way through the Emergency Goodbye Speech Time Management unit at star fleet academy, got blown up second day as captain. :(

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
ISS Enterprise and the Mirror Universe, baybeeeeeeeee….

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I guess this confirms they didn't eat action Saru in s1. And a reveal of what a breen looks like without their helmet and suit

lol that Moll and L'ak escaped again. I wonder how they will reappear in the story because they have no clues and also no leads. Probably would've been better if they took the Starfleet offer. But I guess they wouldn't really bring much to the treasure hunt either. Certainly nothing that Booker couldn't already bring.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Did I miss something in the explanation about the pod that Moll and L'ak used to escape? The episode had gone out of its way earlier on to establish that all the escape pods had been used, and that because of that the Discovery shuttle was the only possible way out... but then they said the ship was "firing" (??? It clearly launches, so what does that mean?) and that it was a "Warp Pod" from Sick Bay... so there WERE still escape pods on the ship then that they could have used at any time? So why did the ship logs show there weren't any? If Moll and L'ak knew about that why didn't they just escape in it when Michael and Booker first arrived rather than waiting to ambush them? Or did they only find out after L'ak got stabbed and it was pure luck??

Nitpicky I guess, the episode was fine, just a step down after how good last week's was. But unless they took a complete scan of the vial themselves (possible, they were in sickbay) then surely they have absolutely zero way of knowing where to go next and this puts them out of the game entirely?

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

It was called a "Terran warp pod, with sickbay equipment"

Yeah, a bit of a miss with previously established plot points.

And finally nice to get a glimpse of an actual Breen. Or more accurately, realize we've been looking at one all season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wee Bairns posted:

Oh! So not a warp pod accessible from Sickbay, just a warp pod that happened to have sickbay equipment... so it's even better than a standard shuttle? That was presumably for an explanation for how they'd fixed up L'ak... but yeah, the show already went out of its way to establish there were no shuttles or escape pods left! Annie Wilkes is gonna have Johanna Lee & Carlos Cisco's ankles broke. :ohdear:

I did like the reveal that the people who rejected the Terran Empire's way found themselves into the utopian version of their universe and all ended up making successful new lives for themselves though :shobon:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I have no opinions on JMS specifically, but I'll always be grateful that he gave us Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future, and didn't treat us like kids. That show pulled zero punches and deserved it's second season.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Wee Bairns posted:

And finally nice to get a glimpse of an actual Breen. Or more accurately, realize we've been looking at one all season.

Is it nice? It seems really poo poo and anti climactic.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Was suspecting Lok was a Breen since they became the big baddies last episode but wasn't sure since they made him look vaguely Kelpian and also had the gooey head featured in the first episode - probably on purpose to throw people off

Otherwise, hard to follow up on last week but was pretty good, showed some motivation for the villains that made them mirrors to Burnham and Book. Beyond the escape pod mistake(?) they never really said how Lok and Moll found the next clue's location, they were just randomly there despite missing other information unless there was more in Dr. Jones's diary than the first clue

also lol they build up Rhys being into the Constitution class design and didn't do anything with it this episode, he didn't even get to fly that ship home!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tars Tarkas posted:

also lol they build up Rhys being into the Constitution class design and didn't do anything with it this episode, he didn't even get to fly that ship home!

Should've cut to a shot of him being :smith: after it was announced that Detmer and Owosekun were flying it back.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I have to admit I'm still not overly familiar with most of the bridge crew's names - or rather, I know their names and faces but couldn't immediately link one to the other - since they've always felt so barely relevant to the show which focuses so much on Burnham, Saru, Stamets and Tilly.

So uhhh, yeah, I legit thought when they named the two who would be taking the ISS back to HQ that it included the guy whose sole defining characteristic is that he likes Connies, and was surprised not to get a shot of him on its bridge being psyched. :lol: that he wasn't one of them and doesn't even get a line or shot of his reaction to seeing it come out of the wormhole or flying away without him.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Owosekun and Detmer keep getting left out of bridge stuff or purposely mentioned as being off the ship, so I’m guessing their actors were unavailable for big chunks of the filming schedule for some reason.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Overall I thought this episode was fine, but I agree that it's a bit convenient that Moll and L'ak escape easily offscreen

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

FlamingLiberal posted:

Overall I thought this episode was fine, but I agree that it's a bit convenient that Moll and L'ak escape easily offscreen

Overall it was but still

No probes? Your ship has a fleet of wall-es. Just fly the captain through in a shuttle into the munching death cloud. Dumb

Power still on in pre TOS era ship... Ok, let's say the pocket dimension has different time or something I guess, fine

Hack the subroutine, takes two keystrokes to get into the bridge systems of a mirror universe flagship. Dumb.

Holodeck in sickbay in pre TOS era ship... ok?

Warp capable ship from nowhere...ugh

Can't track TOS era warp drive with future tech...ok

It's just all so first drafty

Taking much of the mystery out of the Breen is also too big a thing for this show to handle in a trustworthy fashion.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wee Bairns posted:

Anyone have a screenshot? I'm never watching another episode of this dumpster fire of a show, but would like to see the big reveal.

TheCenturion posted:

I have no opinions on JMS specifically, but I'll always be grateful that he gave us Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future, and didn't treat us like kids. That show pulled zero punches and deserved it's second season.

That was the one where the heroes all dressed in Cylon offcuts?

Yeah, that show ruled.

e: yes it was

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Another decent episode that tells a self-contained story with A- and B-plots that still move the broader story forward?? Why did Discovery finally find its footing in the season it’s getting cancelled?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Anyone have a screenshot? I'm never watching another episode of this dumpster fire of a show, but would like to see the big reveal.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Seriously? The guy from the Last Starfighter?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I mean it’s an alien in an open helmet, sure I guess

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Goon face blindness is really getting out there

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Nessus posted:

Goon face blindness is really getting out there

goon face colorblindness, even

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Why does the technobabble on Discovery sound ingenuous? They could ream it out on TNG and VOY, and it sounded perfectly fine and in universe. But in Disco it always sounds like they’re just reading the lines as flatly as possible. Maybe it doesn’t sound confident? Something like that.

Not terrible episode, but only so-so. Using the SNW was fun, but just made me miss SNW.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

The_Doctor posted:

But in Disco it always sounds like they’re just reading the lines as flatly as possible. Maybe it doesn’t sound confident? Something like that.

Not terrible episode, but only so-so. Using the SNW was fun, but just made me miss SNW.

I think it's the fast cuts and action soundtrack underneath giving it an intensity it hasn't earned, I would bet the same dialogue would sound better if they were all just placidly sitting around a conference table

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

TheCenturion posted:

Ah, America's own stillborn Metal Hero series. I remember being slack-jawed as a kid watching the last episode on original broadcast.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I do think it's funny that Commanders Not Appearing Regularly This Season got tasked to fly an ancient derelict ship without warp engines home to Federation HQ and the talk about is wow, what an awesome assignment to get rather than staying on board in leading roles trying to find something related to the creation of life itself as we know it.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The thing with the reveal about their appearance is the Breen have two forms, one that looks like regular physical people, and another that seems either more fluid or energy like. The physical form seems to be shunned and looked down upon in favour of the latter, hence the environmental suits.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

So the Breen are a fluid race that look down on Solids, wow cool haven’t heard that before

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I have to admit getting a good laugh out of Commander "as little words as possible" Rayner going,"Why a hexagon?", Adira taking a breath to explain and Stamets immediately going,"Neverminddoesn'tmatterit'lljustworkbetter!"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Khanstant posted:

Circular breathing is in a first year introductory course

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm glad they took out the antimatter warheads payloads from the photon torpedoes so they could fill them with antimatter instead

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CPColin posted:

I'm glad they took out the antimatter warheads payloads from the photon torpedoes so they could fill them with antimatter instead
Yeah that line confused the hell out of me

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Photon torpedoes are timed/proximity matter-antimatter reactions, so presumably what was meant in the episode is that the matter-antimatter ratio in the payload was altered or just completely changed to just antimatter in order to fuel the antimatter anomaly portal thing’s reaction.

It’s poorly worded but a) it’s still internally consistent with the universe and b) I didn’t even notice it while watching.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I just realized that this last episode took place in Tzenkethi space, but there was no real mention of it after the end of last week's episode. That species still hasn't appeared on screen and has only been mentioned.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jerusalem posted:

I have to admit getting a good laugh out of Commander "as little words as possible" Rayner going,"Why a hexagon?", Adira taking a breath to explain and Stamets immediately going,"Neverminddoesn'tmatterit'lljustworkbetter!"

If you're doing tech stuff for Raynor, I think you'd want to have the word "math" on the tip of your tongue at all times and at every stage in every conversation..

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I feel like the technobabble slots in worse in Discovery because of the sorta quippy whedon way they speak
It's like if they started doing it in Buffy, it doesn't feel like it goes with the rest of the dialogue

Jetrock
Jul 26, 2005

This is the tower of murder... it's where I hang out!
So did everyone notice Morn sitting at the bar in the final scene?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yep! I remember earlier in the season seeing the Ferengi bartender and thinking it was a bit too fan-servicey (I guess Quark's REALLY had staying power as a franchise!) but then I noticed Morn and gently caress it, I'm good with the idea that he's just eternally always at the bar. Any bar. EVERY bar. :)

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I guess Quark's REALLY had staying power as a franchise!

He got his mug designs injected into every ship computer in the Federation fleet once and it really helped his long-term market presence.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 26, 2024

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Roadie posted:

He got his mug designs injected into every ship computer in the Federation fleet once and it really helped his long-term market presence.
"Come to Quark's, Quark's is fun, come right now, don't walk, run!"

That's in there too, quietly brainwashing everyone in Starfleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I recently 3d printed a raktajino can holder, because I'm a horrible nerd. My wife pointed out that it would have been a lot funnier if I'd have put a picture of Quark or a Quarks Bar logo on the bottom.