Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I love Stewart but if his contributions to the TNG movies are any indication, he’s kind of a moron. I wouldn’t take his creative involvement as an unambiguous positive for the show. Yes i know he did a whole interview where he talks about how he’s now seen TNG and understands why people liked it, but please consider why he/CBS felt the need for him to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Discovery is fine if you don’t go in determined to hate it, hth.

I wanted to like it real bad and just felt jerked around by the end of each season. :shrug:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

The first 2 seasons of Discovery are better than the first two seasons of TNG and DS9 easy. It goes without saying it's better than the other three series entirely, not just the first 2 seasons.

If TNG or DS9 had been released in this era, they'd've been cancelled season one.

Comparing any show against TNG season 1 is hilarious. Like yeah I would hope anyone could run a show better than a coked-out, embittered, senile Gene Roddenberry.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Disco is like the kid who’s under a fuckton of pressure to succeed, and burns itself out while trying to do 400 extracurriculars at once.

The good news is those kids tend to become super chill and smoke a lot of weed. Or they kill themselves. But hopefully more of the former.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HD DAD posted:

Disco is like the kid who’s under a fuckton of pressure to succeed, and burns itself out while trying to do 400 extracurriculars at once.

The good news is those kids tend to become super chill and smoke a lot of weed. Or they kill themselves. But hopefully more of the former.
Season 3 is going to completely change the premise of the show so I think that qualifies

What will be interesting is if they actually stay in the future or not

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

They'll probably stay in the future so they can have fewer continuity issues to juggle as they plan 2-5 other shows set in the 23rd/24th Century.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

twistedmentat posted:

I really doubt P-Stew would have come back if he had not liked what they wanted to do.

My take on Disco is that is problems lay in it trying to be prestige TV over being Star Trek TV. So you get lots of overly wrought emotional scenes with episodes being about Relationships rather than Star Treks regular fair. It's the whole sociological to psychological storytelling thing, where the story is about the characters influencing the world rather than the world influencing the characters. I think I have that terminology right.

I think Discovery could take some queues from The Witcher. The Witcher wasn't amazing TV or anything, but its script matched the tone they were going for. It was written more like a genre show then trying to be a prestige show, but they put the money in to make it look like a prestige show.

Discovery needs to have writers who are trying to write Star Trek instead of trying to write whatever the "prestige" version of Star Trek is. Then let the production take care of itself, because it's already proved itself.

Sure, people will complain that it's not prestige enough, but who cares, as long as it's Star Trek enough.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
Disco is infuriating because there's a genuinely good show buried in there, somewhere. When they lean into the wacky space mushroom tardigrade in nipple clamps stuff, the show can be a lot of fun. Granted, of everything I wanted to come back for a new Trek show, the wacky TOS surrealism was pretty low on my list, but that's just personal taste and it's as much genuine Trek as space fables, pew pew battles and ethical courtroom dramas.

It's just so schizophrenic, the tone bounces around wildly, storylines are picked up and suddenly dropped, main character arcs don't make any sense and characters randomly act in ways that contradict who they are (Except, for some reason, Saru, who is inexplicably well written in comparison to everything around him). It's rare to see a show where it's troubled production is just so blatantly on screen for all to see.

I've got a theory; the quality of a show inversely correlates with how aggressively they dial up the Orange-and-Teal in post. If it's subtle, that means a lot of thought has been put into the colour pallet and how it reflects the mood and tone in of the story in any given scene. If it's really aggressive, that means someone hammered the 'make it pretty' button and called it a day.

Picard, like Disco, is orange-and-teal as fuuuuck.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I feel like they were limited in the stories they could tell because of continutiy but hopefully now that that's not a problem anymore, they'll be more free to write. You could do some bonkers poo poo in the far future, what year was the Enterprise, sigh, J supposed to be from

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
e: off topic, retracted

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 22, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

I feel like they were limited in the stories they could tell because of continutiy but hopefully now that that's not a problem anymore, they'll be more free to write. You could do some bonkers poo poo in the far future, what year was the Enterprise, sigh, J supposed to be from

I think the incessant insistence on "oh we're totally in the same timeline, everything still hooks together!!" is just utter cowardice that winds up backfiring entirely. On the production side it can only serve to constrain the options of all involved, meanwhile instead of placating nerds it just aggravates them when the writers wind up contradicting other Trek series anyway.

Just loving dump the old continuity and commit to a hard loving reboot. Hell, they can call it a parallel timeline in the same "multiverse" or whatever, but just stop trying to pretend the new poo poo fits into the history or future of the prior shows and it can open so many options.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eiba posted:

I think depicting a state/military as benevolent trustworthy perpetually good thing is actually the bad thing to depict. There is never going to be a perfect society where the issues are solved and we can all relax.

I think things can get better, and state power can be motivated by ideals a lot more benevolent than the ones that currently motivate them. And I do think Star Trek depicts that, and will continue to depict that (with the possible exception of Discovery season 3).

But there will always be failings. In this case, the Federation may be internally ideal, but it still exists in an imperfect galaxy and has to deal with international situations where people with wildly different ideals have to be respected, and the Federation has to compromise, and maybe it won't compromise well. That's a problem even a utopia could have. And the idea that people need to be vigilant and push back when things go wrong, even in a utopia, is a valuable and positive message.

Ideally it would be a popular movement that corrects the Federation's lapse, but an idealistic individual we all know and love can represent that to make the story more coherent. The message is understood. We should all be like Picard.

Oh never trust it. Always be on guard against its worst inclinations and against individuals and bad actors trying to drag it down. That's not contradictory to what I said - in fact, I'd consider it necessary. But I think that you can depict an idealistic Federation whilst making sure to show that it's something you have to work for, but not having to fall into the depressing idea of it almost inevitably turning bad and inward-focused and compromised as part of your setting.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 22, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Discovery is fine if you don’t go in determined to hate it, hth.

I really wanted to like it, but just loving hated it after a few episodes. I couldn't even get through the first season, and what little I've seen of the second has not at all sold me.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

HD DAD posted:

I’ve said it before, but Disco excels when it’s just being Weird As Hell™, as opposed to attempting some kind of epic, melodramatic tale.

Like, when the ship half-phased into mushroom space to revive a dead guy? Give me an IV of that poo poo straight into my veins.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

skasion posted:

Sure it does. Starfleet is a human organization. Vulcans had their own organization that was eventually superseded by it.

Technology growth was making future stories harder. By the end of Voyager the Federation knows a lot about wormholes, warp 10, borg transwarp conduits and whatnot. Lots of stuff the crew of Voyager couldn't make work would reasonably be perfected once it was in the hands of Federation scientists.

If that continues, then in the near future space exploration will be trivial. The alpha and beta quadrants are fully mapped. The Gamma quadrant is likely off limits to avoid coming into conflict with the Founders again. Most of the Delta Quadrant is still undiscovered, but it is heavily infested by Borg, and there were a bunch of other empires that weren't thrilled with Voyager crossing their space. There isn't much unclaimed space left in the entire galaxy.

I suppose they could get around that by having inter-galactic travel become possible with the new technologies. A new galaxy could shed a lot of the restrive canon. Maybe even with all the fancy it still takes years to reach the nearest galaxy. Which would b easily passed in stasis but it would mean backup wouldn't be a few days away.

But instead it looks like Discovery is going with the Federation having splintered and fallen, with some technological regression so they can just erase any inconvient technologies. :shrug:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I will start watching it when it stops sucking. Maybe Picard will be good but I seriously doubt it.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Peachfart posted:

I will start watching it when it stops sucking. Maybe Picard will be good but I seriously doubt it.

As long as you keep posting...

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Facebook Aunt posted:

But instead it looks like Discovery is going with the Federation having splintered and fallen, with some technological regression so they can just erase any inconvient technologies. :shrug:

I come to start trek for the optimistic stories for the future like (checks notes) a collapsing, backwards fascist federation fighting to hold on the the scraps it has left

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

zoux posted:

Maybe if they hadn't made a bunch of bullshit prequel crap this wouldn't be an issue. I have no idea why they've only every decided to go backwards after DS9

Because they did make things that take place after DS9 and they're complete dogshit that basically put the franchise in a shallow grave for years until it was revived with successful prequels.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

I come to start trek for the optimistic stories for the future like (checks notes) a collapsing, backwards fascist federation fighting to hold on the the scraps it has left

Something like...90%? of Star Trek has nothing to do with the Federation or an optimistic story about the future. I come to Star Trek because it's a malleable enough setting for interesting stories, of many different types and genres, about the world we live in along with new, clever takes and possibilities. Which (checks notes) Discovery hasn't really delivered on that much, to be fair.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Technology growth was making future stories harder. By the end of Voyager the Federation knows a lot about wormholes, warp 10, borg transwarp conduits and whatnot. Lots of stuff the crew of Voyager couldn't make work would reasonably be perfected once it was in the hands of Federation scientists.

If that continues, then in the near future space exploration will be trivial. The alpha and beta quadrants are fully mapped. The Gamma quadrant is likely off limits to avoid coming into conflict with the Founders again. Most of the Delta Quadrant is still undiscovered, but it is heavily infested by Borg, and there were a bunch of other empires that weren't thrilled with Voyager crossing their space. There isn't much unclaimed space left in the entire galaxy.

I suppose they could get around that by having inter-galactic travel become possible with the new technologies. A new galaxy could shed a lot of the restrive canon. Maybe even with all the fancy it still takes years to reach the nearest galaxy. Which would b easily passed in stasis but it would mean backup wouldn't be a few days away.

At the beginning of TNG they have the ability to make anything and teleport anywhere. Technology always worked to whatever was needed for the episode of the week that it somehow got too advanced is a silly notion.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Farcsape was great, and the world those people lived in was terrible, Just terrible. It didn't matter, because it was a great setting for interesting stories of all types, and when it DID do worldbuilding, it was (for the most part) consistent and clever. And of course, the show had a real sense of fun, which made it hit even harder when it wanted to be serious.

That's one of the reasons I don't think an optimistic setting is nearly as important as some people think it is. It is more important to be clever and consistent, especially in the writing. Time will tell if Discovery will get there or if Picard faces a similarly laborious journey. If anything, Discovery could do with LESS leaning on the worldbuilding and more stuff that's just explorations of what's 'out there.' Maybe getting out of the hole of rigid canon and 'what can't be discovered yet' will give them some breathing room.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 22, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My friend was at the London premiere the other day and enjoyed it a lot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They'll probably stay in the future so they can have fewer continuity issues to juggle as they plan 2-5 other shows set in the 23rd/24th Century.
Michelle Yeoh's character is going to have to find a way to get back somehow, unless the S31 show takes place during that short period between the end of S1 of Disco and S2

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Michelle Yeoh's character is going to have to find a way to get back somehow, unless the S31 show takes place during that short period between the end of S1 of Disco and S2

Aren’t the Temporal Agent dudes from Voyager already around by the time S3 is set? I assume she’ll be going back at some point to rebuild Section 31 in secret and Disco will stay in the future.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Please keep the show 900 years in the future. No more being hamstrung by previous canon.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's the thing. I almost feel they signed off prematurely on the S31 Starring Michelle Yeoh series, tabled it, then realized how cool it would be for her to go to the future with the gang. Now they're stuck having a show that takes place in a 6 month window where not a lot is happening in the galaxy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Maybe S31 is why theres seemingly nothing happening in that window, hmmm, theyre doing it all so secret-like nobody even notices

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Michelle Yeoh clones everywhere.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Michelle Yeoh clones everywhere.

And the downside to this is...?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I've only ever seen her in that one Bond movie, can someone point me to reasons why everyone loves Michelle Yeoh because I feel like I'm missing something

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

It will be neat to see the TNG era races again. I miss the Ferengi.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tighclops posted:

I've only ever seen her in that one Bond movie, can someone point me to reasons why everyone loves Michelle Yeoh because I feel like I'm missing something

She’s good in Crouching Tiger

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

skasion posted:

She’s good in Crouching Tiger

And Crazy Rich Asians, and Kung-Fu Panda 2, and Sunshine. Saying you've only seen her in Tomorrow Never Dies is kinda like saying you've only seen Patrick Stewart in Masterminds and you're baffled by why people like him so much.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’ve only seen Brent Spiner in Master of Disguise. Apparently he played a robot or something on a tv show?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We only saw prime Georgou for a single episode and I feel cheated for not having had more of her, she was fantastic as a proper captain instead of a cliche evil-ish.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

I’ve only seen Brent Spiner in Master of Disguise. Apparently he played a robot or something on a tv show?

Eh, you're not missing much :nallears:

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

HD DAD posted:

I re-watched Enterprise recently and I liked it a lot more than I did originally. The episodes I disliked the most though were the ones with Brent Spiner, though, but despite him, not because of him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My theory is she got off Disco before it went to the future. Got in an escape pod and went on her evil way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Georgia Peach posted:

I re-watched Enterprise recently and I liked it a lot more than I did originally. The episodes I disliked the most though were the ones with Brent Spiner, though, but despite him, not because of him.

Arik Soong was a really fun character and Spiner was digging the hell out of getting the chance to ham it up as a morally grey character. If Enterprise had gotten a fifth season, he's one of the people I wished they brought back for it.