Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrData
Jun 28, 2008

Eiba posted:

Calling it now: the Picard show is going to be great. Return to idealism. Cogent case for compassion to refugees in the face of cynical isolationism. An exploration of understanding for the "other," synth/ex-borg or whatever.

I really wish I could share your optimism (hehe) and I will reserve judgement until at least a few episodes in but just from the trailer I see so many worrying things. It looks like a cheap fanfilm, especially the shots where Picard is on a 20th-century escalator in a building that is obviously a convention center or something similar, surrounded by extra's in ill fitting uniforms. Ridiculous kung-fu fighting shots and a sword-wielding Romulan, re-use of Discovery shuttles and ships, grimdark everything, JJ-Abrams style 'we have to save the galaxy and this girl is the key' type of story. I just know how all of this came to be. A whole new team of production designers that has no ties to the previous shows that has a 'we have to re-invent everything because obviously we know better to go for 90's aesthetics ' attitude. The result is Orc Klingons, shiny floors with bright lights everywhere, holograms around every corner, mushroom space travel, etc.

Yes, I know the other shows use real-world locations sometimes, had plenty of stupid stuff and I don't expect modern shows to look like the 60's or 90's. When I watch Voyager or TNG there is a sort of 'soft, clean, comfy' feel to everything. When you set a show 20 years after Nemesis I expect the design language to be somewhat evolved but very recognisable.

But if the writing and stoy is great for Picard I hope I can ignore all of this and accept it as all being in the same universe. I hope to be proven wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrData
Jun 28, 2008
I know it's a minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but I can't be the only one annoyed at the use of holograms in modern scifi? No imagination is shown here, just repeat whatever sci-fi show has done before. How is watching something on a half-transparent screen, where your living room is visible through the screen, complete with 1920's phone style sound, preferable to a 1990's flat screen TV?

So much bad writing in this first episode, but enough neat things (like the archives) to hold my attention.

MrData
Jun 28, 2008

The Bloop posted:

She is bitter about other things and trying to make Picard feel guilty. Her words are designed to harm, not to reflect reality.

As already discussed to death itt, she has a house in the countryside with all the X she can replicate and wants for nothing. That's pretty loving post-scarcity

It's not just that, to me this whole show so far is a 180 from established lore that I have real issues fitting it in with the rest of the prime universe. It's every single thing from the swearing, people bickering, hemming and hawing, complaining about having to work and about bad food, nonsense about resources, the pilot saying he's expensive, 20th century looking clothing, apartments looking like they do now but with a hologram added (holograms in general), pots and pans and plates and nicknacks everywhere, earbuds and sunglasses, lens flares and grimdark ships, everything is just so grating, cliche and non-unique to me. Some things I just like and associate with 24th century Starfleet, soft lighting, comfort, calm rational people that realise they don't need to work to live and a real sense of things being different in 400 years.

MrData
Jun 28, 2008

AntherUslessPoster posted:

You might want to re-read this thread from page 64, mr Data.

I have been reading it from the start. Was not aware that things may only be mentioned once and then never again.

MrData
Jun 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Voq wasn't even smart as a human. Ash was pretty much just Human Ash imprinted over Voq. Whenever Voq took over, he did stupid poo poo like immediately expose himself as a klingon spy. He was dumb as gently caress.

I STILL don't understand the whole transformation that the Klingons did, even after reading about it many times.

Voq and Ash are seperate people.
Ash is killed.
Voq is altered to look exactly like Ash (sawing down his bones and all) and even his DNA is altered so it won't be detected.
Ash's memories and personalities are imprinted over Voq.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to do it the other way around, kill Voq and imprint his personality over a living Ash !?

MrData
Jun 28, 2008

Peachfart posted:

We as a world don't think things can get better anymore, and it is reflected in our SciFi.

But the people in 1966 and 1986 did? I really don't understand this need to connect real world sentiments and events into everything. That's how you get stupid 9/11 episodes.

MrData
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

One example - the superhero-like, smooth, form-fitted costumes presented problems every day for the sound department as there was simply no place to hide the microphone battery packs that every primary actor is fitted with. This often meant that when an actor simply turns around, all action on the set has to come to a stop to reposition a prominent battery pack.

Wait, is that really how they record dialogue? Don't they still use boom mic's and/or ADR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrData
Jun 28, 2008
Stopped watching this trainwreck after episode 3 of season 1 but I get a laugh when hovering over random spoilers because I can't tell the difference between a random fan's terrible small-universe fanfiction and supposed 'professional' writer's desperate attempt at undoing the garbage heap they inherited. Anyway, I guess Q is just..not dead anymore? Without any explanation? I guess that's one way to undo an entire previous season.