Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Rhyno posted:

Robert April.

Wasn't it something like:

First five-year: April
Second five-year: Pike
Third five-year: Kirk (TOS, maaaaybe TAS)
Fourth and possibly fifth or even sixth five-year: Kirk post-TMP refit
Comment in SfS "Jim, the Enterprise is 20 years old, we feel her day is done." This accounts for three five-year missions and then some extra time being used as a training ship.

WoK takes place like 15 years after TMP, and TMP takes place relatively quickly after TOS unless there's another five year mission. I thought the refit happened after the TOS-set five-year, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

skasion posted:

If STP turns out to suck it will mean an entire generation has been born, grown up and become able to legally drink since there has been an even halfway decent season of Star Trek on television

DS9 season seven was good! We still have five months before that's 21 years old.

:corsair:

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Discovery doesn't have the low lows that the other shows had. It also doesn't have the high highs, but it's decent overall.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Rhyno posted:

It has Michelle Yeoh.

It's a shame that they had to do the season one stuff that they did, because Captain Georgiou on the Shenzhou with Burham, Saru, Tyler as a normal human, Tilly, Stamets and Culber and everyone and you'd have a solid show.

Hell, make Lorca first officer, move Burham to Science or Ops and you have a really solid crew there, especially with the support crew from season two starting to come into their own. Just make the ship a normal ship and take out the whole Klingon War thing.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Andorians we're good in Enterprise. More Shran, that's a plan.

If only we got season 5's regular crew member Shran.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

I seriously think that would have saved the whole mess.

There were a lot of changes planned that would have helped. Starting the integration of Starfleet with other planets' defense forces would have been really cool. Make T'Pol a starfleet officer. Bring a Tellarite on board! Put some humans onto Vulcan and Andorian ships. Start the Romulan war up proper, without ever seeing them. Romulans just don't use viewscreens with enemies. That refit version of Enterprise that would bring it more in line with proto-TOS. There was a lot coming in.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Thom12255 posted:

I thought Tpol did join Starfleet as a commissioned officer by season 4?

Maybe the technicality is that Spock was the first officer to go through Starfleet Academy?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

zoux posted:

The first 2 seasons of Discovery are better than the first two seasons of TNG and DS9 easy. It goes without saying it's better than the other three series entirely, not just the first 2 seasons.

If TNG or DS9 had been released in this era, they'd've been cancelled season one.

I said last year that Discovery's first season was the best first season of Star Trek since TOS, but now I'd say the first two seasons of Discovery are the strongest two seasons of any Star Trek since TOS. :colbert:

Is there a Q Who or Measure of a Man or The Wire or Necessary Evil? No, but there isn't a lot of mediocre episodes or a Shades of Grey, either.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 21, 2020

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

HD DAD posted:

I agree. Like, Disco’s writing can be absolutely eye-rolling. However, I’ll still take that over VOY and TNG’s first outings, which verge on “bad high school play” territory.

The same is happening to Disco. Season 2 was largely a reaction to season 1 criticism.

Season one of Voyager had one of my favorite episodes from the entire series: Eye of the Needle. I'll be fair and say I haven't seen it in like 25 years, but I remember it being great.

Discovery only has a few episodes that really stand out to me, like Magic to Make, but the worst episodes are better than any of TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT's worst episodes. I just wish the look of it matched a bit better with TOS, but season two fixed a decent amount of that.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Drone posted:

Bring back Mr. Mot.

He's already the star of the show.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

skasion posted:

Toshiro Mifune as a Klingon is such a great idea that it could have carried absolutely everything else about the movie. Even if they crammed in the Spock killing JFK thing or w/e

Remember, at that point Klingons hadn't been redesigned, so who knows what he would have looked like.

Still sounds really awesome, though!!

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I'm on board so far. I love the idea of the Romulans on the Borg Cube. Shades of the ST: Countdown comic from 2009

marktheando posted:

Or a hint as to the true mastermind behind these events, the cards all read Q :tinfoil:

:aaaaa:

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 24, 2020

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Remember, I was assuming that Lore is being stored somewhere by Starfleet, but since Hugh is in play, maybe the Romulans got their hands on him and they're building androids off of him. His neural net was actually more developed than Data's, but he was just an rear end in a top hat about it and felt he was superior to organic life. Because of that, Soong removed a lot of the more "human-life" learning abilities from Data, as well as removing the emotions.

Anyways, androids who were created based off of Lore might be exactly the same types who would attack and destroy a colony, shipyards, refugees, anyone really. If you want to build android soldiers, Lore is a better base than Data.

I bring Hugh up because they might find out about Lore and need to go to him for help in figuring out Lore's plan or how to attack him.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Lenny Nero posted:

Reading through these comments give me some small hope that I might enjoy this series (I still haven't watched the first episode yet). That said, I'm still pretty salty that they're considering Nemesis as cannon.

They've never decanonized anything that was on screen, even though they joked about Threshold.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Well, TAS.

That was actually never canon before a few years ago, when it was officially "canonized," IIRC.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Wikipedia's article for TAS posted:

On June 27, 2007, Star Trek's official site incorporated information from The Animated Series into its library section,[21] clarifying, finally, that the animated series is part of the Star Trek canon. Both David Gerrold and D. C. Fontana have stated that the animated series is essentially the fourth season that fans wanted originally.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

There was some interview that said if worf shows up, he'll look like worf. They have different looks for various romulans, so they can do it for Klingons as well.

We haven't seen any Klingons that we know, unlike when we saw Kor, Kang, and Koloth in DS9. Every Klingon we've seen could be from a different "race" of Klingons.

Although, one of them is from the House of Kor, and we know Kor.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 24, 2020

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

According to Google, this was the original extent of the Hobus Supernova:

That's kinda insanely stupid. Romulus's star going supernova unexpectedly is a better idea. Maybe Dr. Soran survived and decided he hated Romulans.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

The radius of the supernova (which, huh, it does look like severe radiation from supernovae actually does extend dozens of light-years?) perfectly matching the border of the empire is the dumbest part. It's a lot more interesting if a few Federation worlds are in the radius and the Federation decides to invest 100% of resources into those 2-4 planets and refuses to help out the dozens of Romulan planets!

That would have made a really interesting story. Or like, maybe lots and lots of Romulan refugees made it to those worlds pre-supernova and were turned away.

Admiral Bosch posted:

My personal headcanon(a nerdier word there never was) is that the Romulans, who we already know experiment with artificial singularities, did something bad to their star inadvertently and it asploded.

Basically a far larger Praxis.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I was really worried that we were going to see bitter, angry, hermit Picard, a la Luke Skywalker. It seemed like we were going down that path, but as soon as he started talking to Dahj I realized that TNG Picard was still here. They haven't seemed to change his character too bad.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

zoux posted:

Seems like a loooot of galactopolitical rivals to the United Federation of Planets have their homeworlds rendered uninhabitable by nearby celestial explosions :thunk: Might want to keep an eye on the old home star, THE BREEN

It's a Dominion go-to. Remember how Changling-Bashir tried to blow up Bajor's sun to kill DS9 and Bajor?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

zoux posted:

Malcolm McDowell blew up a whole sun when he coulda just spent the rest of his life in a holodeck

And who had all the material that he was using to blow up stars? The Romulans. He stole it from them to build his torpedoes. They attacked the observatory where he was based because he and the Duras sisters attacked them first and stole their materials.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

The Golden Gael posted:

do you think those guys knew Nero

I know in the Countdown comics he was in possession of a ship built with Romulan/Borg tech by the remnants of the Tal Shiar, but I really like the idea that it's just a normal mining vessel and he's not special, just a captain of a crew of miners.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Wow yeah 11k at the battle of Wolf 359 according to sperg-alpha. Just how many mirandas did they blow up?

Technically some of those were Soyuz-class ships, which are a distinct variation of the Miranda-class.

:goonsay:

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Delthalaz posted:

Why is the Federation more traumatized by this dumb “synth” attack on Mars than the galaxy threatening Dominion War with literal shape shifting 5th column conspirators and a major attack on earth itself?

If the entire shipyards were wiped out, and Mars is "still on fire to this day," how did only 90,000 people die?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

I thought that the idea was that the 'consciousness matrix', for lack of a better term, was fractal; kind of like all you need is one full strand of DNA, in theory, to grow a new person. So you could take one of Data's neurons, use that to grow a new 'positronic brain' that would be stable and as capable of Data's, but would be tabula rasa, not a 'restore data.dat' sort of thing.

This is how I read it, too.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

So Trump unveiled the logo for the US Space Force today:

BBC found the inspiration.

Edit: Completely missed that it was posted above.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 25, 2020

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I'm really curious to see what RedLetterMedia has to say about this. I hope Mike is happy with it.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Be warned though, the only poo poo of theirs worth watching is the stuff that highlights Mike and Rich. Jay is a whiny little poo poo who goes out of his way to poo poo all over anything that isn't a 70's giallo flick. Jay has also gotten increasingly misogynistic over the years. gently caress Jay.

The Star Trek stuff should be fine though, it's almost always just Mike and Rich talking about it.

:-( I really like Jay, and the Mike and Jay combo is my favorite. His taste in movies tends to line up decently with mine. How has he been misogynistic?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Hmm, I never watched the Captain Marvel review, but that's sad.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

pyrotek posted:

Yeah. I didn't like Discovery or Last Jedi or GoT S7 or 8 but it pains me to be grouped in with these people.

On the other hand, some people immediately group you with racist assholes even if you have legitimate criticisms of the above, which is also really bad.

I think the Ghostbusters movie has some okay stuff in it, like Kate McKinnon doing her damnest to keep everything going, and Chris Hemsworth hamming it up. Unfortunately, you can't say that Chris Hemsworth is your favorite part of the new movie, because that leads to all sorts of accusations.

I think Discovery has a lot of issues, but I genuinely like a lot of it.

Season three starts in April, right?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

AntherUslessPoster posted:

In the end all the fight for equality, minorities and so on led to people still being judged, grouped and name called by what other people saw, read or heard about them without trying to understand.

Wow why april? I never heard a date from official sources or any leaked stuff

I swear I read somewhere a couple months ago that it was coming out in April. No source, though.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

marktheando posted:

But who made the glasses that Bones gave Kirk?

Here's the real question: if Star Trek IV is a closed loop and they're jumping into the same timeline, depending on how many loops have happened, those glasses keep aging. The Lenses stay 300 years old since they get replaced in 1986, but the frames would age 300 years per cycle.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

I know. My point is that there's nothing whatsoever to suggest that it's what actually happens. And we have a very strong counterexample showing that that's NOT how it works: Data's head.

That's a poor example, unless Dr. Soong used Data's head from 1890 as the basis to build Data. In your example:

His head is blasted off in 1890
Soong builds Data's head in the 2050s
Data goes back in time in 2366
His body comes back to 2366
And his head, which time travelled the long way, is reattached in 2366.

There's a body loop and a head loop, but with the glasses, which are heavily implied to be the exact same pair:

McCoy buys them in the 2280s, gives them to Kirk
Lenses (300 years old since they're fixed in the 1980s) break in the battle with Khan
Kirk goes to 1986
Sells them to the dealer, he sees 300 year old lenses that are broken, thinks they're from the 17th century or so because the lenses are old
Dealer replaces the lenses
The glasses take the long way to the 2200s
McCoy buys them in the 2280s.

It's a closed loop with no distinct "creation" point like Data has. We know that Data is created in the 2250s or so. Your comparison absolutely works if they used Data's head buried under San Francisco to build Data in the first place, though.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 26, 2020

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Why do the frames have to be an eternal indestructible paradoxical looping object, but you're fine with the lenses being ordinary items that were manufactured, hung around for a few centuries, then went back in time and were in two places at once from 1986 to 2286? (In your example, one set of lenses would be mounted in the frames and one set in a landfill somewhere.)

What makes the objects so different? Wouldn't it be simpler to say that the glasses (lenses included) were made in the 18th century or so, hung around for five hundred years, went back in time, and then there were two of them (one with a broken lens) from 1986 to 2286? It's no different than Data's head, Chekov's phaser, or a pebble stuck to Kirk's shoe.

The lenses have a distinct and easy life to track, from being made in the 1980s (or whenever) to being broken during the battle in WoK.
The frames are definitely implied to be looping, but since we don't go back to WoK after TVH, we can't verify. That said:

Cojawfee posted:

"Excuse me, weren't those a birthday present from Dr. McCoy?"
"And they will be again, that's the beauty of it."

The movie definitely makes it a joke that he'll get them again in the future (his past).

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I like Star Trek, guys.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Thanks for the TOS input guys, I'll guess I will start my next week with some Spectre of the Gun and Amok time and then all of the rest. TOS.

When the s1 came out I said to my only pure trekkie friend 'If they gently caress it up, its okay. We still got some Trek after all these years'. We never had any of that 'after-trek' stuff or short treks until I found them somewhere else to watch.

I dunno I just tend to find good sides in any bad thing. Even as bad as the Burnham's 'mutiny' and all that crap that was clearly not-trek or not in-universe and even contradicting the actual characters, laws and what is known.
They evened it out with all other good stuff. Or I am delusional and just will pardon any idiocy in exchange for a few GOOD loving PROPER TREK minutes.

Added to the list. Thanks a lot man!

To add to your watchlist, I've used "Day of the Dove" as a first episode and it worked well. It has Klingons, a space entity, and it's funny. The stakes aren't too bad, and the moral about getting along is at the heart of Star Trek. Being friends with Kang leads to victory, and Kang sees it too.

Discovery would be so much better to me if they attempted to keep the look of the ships more in line with canon. The Klingon ships are just loving insane, and the Starfleet ships are mostly wonky. The Shenzou was okay, but that's about it for the new ships.

The Enterprise is awesome though and a great update of the original design.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 27, 2020

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, from what I remember, he was quietly dropped with no fanfare. As it should be.

He chased me out of these threads years ago. I'm happy to be back and happy he's gone.

I miss his gif website, since it was great for posting, but better to cut him completely out than to keep anything.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 27, 2020

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Eh. I don't care to dig through their videos to prove they called it before the trailers but I think these things were easy to call. Where else are you going to pick up Picard after 20 years? Are they really gonna make a TNG spinoff with no Borg? Data died, right, let's do something with that. None of it is complicated.

Considering how Voyager ended, the Borg Collective could be dead. Maybe there are former drone support groups everywhere?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah the idea that the Federation has ever been anything but a thin stand in for the US or if you're being generous, maybe NATO or the UN is pretty hollow, I think. In the 60s, they were in a cold war with a competing super-power with a distinctly different ideology. In the 80s they'd made peace with that same power, partly because a new leader had made the regime more moderate and everyone was convinced no wars would happen ever again and we can all swim with dolphins and chill with crystals at the Mariott convention center... except they did and we get poo poo like the Cardassians coming up around the time of the first Gulf War.

It's actually when Trek tries to be non-political that it tends to be at it's worst: See VOY and the first half or so ENT.

Don't forget that the Romulans were the Chinese in TOS. In the 60s they were isolationist and closed off. We didn't know much about what they were up to, but we knew they were antagonistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

First Contact, Insurrection, and Into Darkness are also "gently caress Starfleet, we're doing what's right movies." So that's like literally half the film canon.

It was an old trope that Admirals are basically worthless or actively treacherous. Admiral Ross was the first one who was really on the level.