Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Point: never, ever listen to Star Trek fans

However, not listening is also what gave us JJTrek, so we’re damned either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

skasion posted:

If STP turns out to suck it will mean an entire generation has been born, grown up and become able to legally drink since there has been an even halfway decent season of Star Trek on television

Enterprise season 4 is only a sophomore in high school at this point.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
TNG season 7 is basically Voyager season 0.

Hotter take: Masks is TNG top 10 material.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’ve said it before, but Disco excels when it’s just being Weird As Hell™, as opposed to attempting some kind of epic, melodramatic tale.

Like, when the ship half-phased into mushroom space to revive a dead guy? Give me an IV of that poo poo straight into my veins.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Does SMG have some sort of clause in her contract that she must be the focus of all events happening around her?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I thought Chabon was leaving to run an adaptation of his Kavalier & Clay, which would make sense.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MichiganCubbie posted:

I said last year that Discovery's first season was the best first season of Star Trek since TOS, but now I'd say the first two seasons of Discovery are the strongest two seasons of any Star Trek since TOS. :colbert:

I agree. Like, Disco’s writing can be absolutely eye-rolling. However, I’ll still take that over VOY and TNG’s first outings, which verge on “bad high school play” territory.

Lizard Combatant posted:

TNG only got better because viewers rightly criticised what sucked about it, hth.

The same is happening to Disco. Season 2 was largely a reaction to season 1 criticism.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Disco is like the kid who’s under a fuckton of pressure to succeed, and burns itself out while trying to do 400 extracurriculars at once.

The good news is those kids tend to become super chill and smoke a lot of weed. Or they kill themselves. But hopefully more of the former.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’ve only seen Brent Spiner in Master of Disguise. Apparently he played a robot or something on a tv show?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Picard gets whisked away to a purely monochrome dimension, sitting in a comfy chair across from a being giving him cryptic, albeit backwards, advice.

It’s Mr. Homm.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Soundtrack is entirely vaporwave

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

If this is not the closing credits theme I will be pissed.

*dramatic zoom onto Picard’s face as the episode draws to a close*

*smash cut to -

CAP-TAIN JEAN-LUC-PIC-ARD...

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
75% of things wrong with Disco can be usually traced back to some high-as-gently caress decision made by Bryan Fuller, and the last two seasons have been desperately struggling to dig themselves out his influence.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

pyrotek posted:

Edit: They should have the credit sequence should be the same as TNG, but with Picard's face in place of the Enterprise.

Just go straight up old school Doctor Who opening with Patrick Stewart’s face zooming through subspace

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Rumor has it that Section 31 begins filming in May, apparently.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Berg and Harberts seemed to love going over budget.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Did anyone else think Dahj’s exploding effect looked a little wonky? It’s like she disappeared a little too quickly. Or maybe that’ll factor in later? :tinfoil:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I did find it a little amusing when the FFN used literal screen caps from episodes and movies as official photos of Picard lol

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I know it’s morbid, but every time I hear them mention three seasons for this show, I wonder is Stewart going to last that long?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They’ll praise it just for not being Discovery while completely pretending any allegorical elements don’t exist. Chuds have a unique ability to watch all media with willful ignorance and treat it all like mindless entertainment with no deeper meaning because recognizing that would challenge their worldview or give them a reason to dislike something they love.

There’s a huge chunk of libertarian TNG fans out there, somehow.

I think their robot brains get a tingling sensation caused by the rigid command structure of Starfleet. And that stories are solved by logic and self-determination. Any underlying subtext or allegory either flies over their head undetected or ignored.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Bets on Data being reconstituted as flesh and blood Brent Spiner by the end of the season?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

TheCenturion posted:

Why does she look familiar...why does she look familiar...why does she look OH poo poo IT'S KIM PINE! WE ARE SEX BOB-OMB! ONE TWO THREE FOUR!

I enjoyed the show, and I look forward to more.

I can’t believe it’s been a decade since Scott Pilgrim. And Pill is still a total cutie.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I know he wasn’t 100% spot on, but the CGI work on Data is kinda impressive.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

You know what, gently caress it, make Harry Kim the captain of the F. Give Garrett Wang some recompense for 7 years of hell on Voyager.

Except Captain Kim was rescued from a parallel timeline where he wasn’t such a dweeb. Prime Kim is still an ensign on the same ship.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It turns out all the discrepancies in Disco are because what we saw was a flawed historical recreation put together in the 31st century, where the show now takes place.

The reboot writes itself, make it so

I would laugh my rear end of if season 3 starts with a recap of the first two seasons, which then pulls out to show the Disco crew showing it to a bunch of normal looking 31st century Klingons.

Stamets: “And that’s how we got here. Also, I forgot to download the holographic Klingon model before we left, so we took some liberties.”

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

"Hi Chris I'm Nero"

Legitimately a great line.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think like 39 ships were lost in Wolf 359

The USS Kitbash A through Lambda were sadly lost to the Borg

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

Would yall join Starfleet or would yall, like me, live a life of aimless luxury space communism while saying “weed, ghost train, dank” to your replicator 5 times a day

I’d spend 80 hours a week transporting to mexican restaurants around the world to eat their free chips and salsa but not order anything else

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The biggest canard I see trotted out is a claim that Star Trek is "about science" which is one of the most incorrect sentences about star trek there is. There's also, typically, something sbout Canon being super dee duper important.

This. Star Trek, first and foremost, is constructed of morality plays based on allegories for current events. And these allegories are sometimes hilariously unsubtle. It just has a “hot science of the week” icing on top.

People who miss this just baffle me.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I might sound like an arrogant smartass but when I was in middle school (12-13 y/o) star trek did sound 'whoa science bitch!' in a nerdy way.

And there you go. The “smartguy bigbrain” YouTubers haven’t really evolved beyond middle school, socially or emotionally.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They don’t actually like the franchise, they’re just doing these dumb outrage videos for the clicks because that’s what YouTube has become. :ssh:

See also: 90% of YouTube videos discussing [established genre franchise putting out new media]

I need gay space communism because I want a creative platform that doesn’t immediately get overrun by shills min-maxing its algorithms for profit.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gaz-L posted:

I want to sit her down in front of, oh, let's say, DS9's Past Tense and ask if it is also a 'bratty kid'.

“I don’t like inclusiveness and diversity unless it was in stuff I watched as a literal child. Then it’s okay.”

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I won't judge until I see the full season. I just can't. Its not a trek way to do things right in first season :D
That goes for Discovery s1 too, no matter how much I liked Jason Isaacs' performance.

It’s practically a Trek tradition at this point to have a wonky first season.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’ve said this before, but Disco had a lot of pressure on it to be good, since it was not only the first Trek series on TV in 12 years, but it was the tentpole show on a new streaming network. CBS execs were probably rightfully jumpy, probably focus-grouped the hell out of the concept, and got rid of anyone that was viewed as a squeaky wheel in its production.

This...overbaking, as it were, has led to the majority of Disco’s issues I suspect. They just didn’t have the confidence in a new Trek show to just let it be Trek. But now that they’ve gotten a lot of feedback on Disco, they more than likely were a little more confident in Picard, which is why it seems to be shaping up nicely.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m pretty sure someone outed him there as well and he was dropped from the site, but I’m not 100% sure.

Yeah, from what I remember, he was quietly dropped with no fanfare. As it should be.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

large_gourd posted:

It's just unfortunate that the message of Star Trek has become that utopia isn't possible.

Or...maybe it’s that utopia is possible, but it comes with responsibility. If you’re not careful, it can quickly disappear if even a small selection of people fall back into fear. Basically it should the responsibility of everyone to promote open-mindedness and empathy. Utopia must not be taken for granted.

Or something. Idk I’m drunk

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Arglebargle III posted:

The Federation has no money, no poverty, as of TNG there hadn't been a terrorist attack on Earth in over a century. People forget racism exists sometimes so that Sisko has to remind them. It's not space America. It went out of its way to contrast the Utopian future and the crapsack present many, many times through allegory. Star Trek has always embraced allegory, but it hadn't embraced cynicism until the 2000s. And it sucks and it has sucked for a long time.

Of course it's about the present, but it used to also be about the future. Making the 24th century the 21st century is a reflection of what IMO is a (one of many) societal disease(s) of our time: we can't imagine a future that isn't a disaster.

I get what you’re saying. I really do. And on a certain level, you are absolutely right.

But I’m also going to put forth the argument that Star Trek has always reflected what the West, specifically the United States, has thought about itself. During TOS, the country was going through both political and societal upheaval. But a lot of that came with a feeling of hope - there was a better future that was actively being fought for. Massive strides had been made in societal progress, and that was continued as a through-line into the types of stories that were told.

By the time TNG rolled around, we had come a long way with warming up relations with the USSR. We had (naively, on a surface level) “solved racism”. The USA was a force of good, a shining beacon of example for the rest of the world. The future literally did seem like we were all going to chill in a Marriott while rubbing crystals all over ourselves, as someone else in this thread basically said. The Gulf War was bad data, but it was “necessary” and for the greater good, at least it seemed at the time. The 90s in the US, while certainly not devoid of poo poo, was “relatively uneventful”.

Enterprise needs no explanation, really. We were hurt massively on a cultural level. We had a massive wave of nationalism, and we were out to get the bad guys. And sometimes we had to make hard decisions.

And now with Discovery and Picard - culturally we’re at a point where we’re honestly both pissed and embarrassed at ourselves. We’re the crazed hobo yelling at nothing on the subway platform, all the while government and corporate corruption becomes even more blatant and shameless. Again, reflected in Star Trek by shadowy organizations or a Federation fallen on xenophobia and fear.

Yes, now more than ever, it would be nice to have a show whose voice says “yes, the future’s gonna be awesome”. But at least with Picard, the message seems to be “it can be awesome, but we’re gonna have to work for it”.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MichiganCubbie posted:

Did he ever write more than just the twitter blurbs about episodes?

I think he’s also a writer on Rick and Morty.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It seemed like all the Trekkies on SA got a pretty good kick out of that Twitter account.

Goons typically have a hard time admitting they ever enjoyed anything. We’re a cynical bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

This is the first one of these that's actually funny. I remember I saw a reddit post of someone getting one of the O'Brien ones signed by Colm Meaney and wondered which one I would get signed by him if I were to do such a thing. I looked through as many as I could and realized they were all depressingly sad and not funny.

The depressing sadness is what’s funny. At least to me.