Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
When Lower Decks has it's final episode it should reveal the whole crew was made into a cartoon by a Q for its amusement before changing them back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Are you going to let that insult of not naming Ginyu pass or are you going to give a rather pointed pose to tell him off.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I wonder if Barclay ever got a statue in the future, like a certain great Miles O'Brien.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
But why though.

Is anyone asking for a fourth movie at this point?

It's been utterly replaced by the prime time line that it was seeking to replace.

When you make a movie where the Enterprise being destroyed means absolutely nothing you know you hosed up.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Star Trek movies have seldom done great overseas so it’s largely been reliant on the NA market to keep it going. Not to say they do bad overseas, they simply failed to really be big hits. You know studios, they want all the money, not some.

It’s why they changed things up with the new time line, start over and make things fresh! They could mine everything that came before only now SUPER CHARGE it. Warp speed? That’s hours! We got trans warp speed now! Be to Vulcan in seconds. What to go to the Klingon home world? Pfft, be there in a flash. Transporters have range limits? Screw that, we can beam you across the universe! We can even port you onto a ship moving at transwarp! Huzzah! Slow elevators? Not on the enterprise. Get from one end of the ship to the other in a mere pause. Deaths a bitch, only hey we got blood to bring back the dead! Ships require hundreds or thousands? Nah, dawg, this one ship can do everything with a single person or two.

Now focus on what matters pew pew pew boom SPLOSIONS OMFG pew pew pew ACTION.

Someone needs to tell these people restraint and breathing can be a good thing in films and result in better film experiences.

Hear that JJ? You hack.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

DaveKap posted:

Not only that, some think it was the best of the three.

It was okay at best.

It got treated as such.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

nine-gear crow posted:

An unsmall number of folks in this thread seem like the kind of people who, if they were out at a dinner party and someone else said "I like Star Trek: Discovery, I think it's really good", would flip over the table and scream at them about how terrible their tastes in media and what a complete imbecile are for an hour instead of just nodding and going "Oh that's cool."

Which is a fantasy scenario that exists only in my mind because none of them would ever get invited out anywhere to begin with :newlol:

Star trek: Discovery is perfectly fine.

It's a bit different and helped kick off the new rebirth of Star Trek TV shows and for that I like it.

Strange New Worlds. Lower Decks.

Having fun with them all.

That Lower Decks cross over with Strange New Worlds is one of the greatest things to come out of Star Trek in forever.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/TheTrekCentral/status/1773327617694847309

Welcome to the team.

gently caress Russia.

Sounds Swedish.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Needs a Dax pinup.

Or a Morn one.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
‘Star Trek’ Origin Story Movie Will Be Set Decades Before 2009 Film

CinemaCon 2024: The new project will be produced by longtime “Star Trek” steward J.J. Abrams

https://www.thewrap.com/star-trek-prequel-toby-haynes-seth-grahame-smith-announced/

Paramount Pictures is ready to boldly go (again).

After rumors circulated earlier this year, Paramount has officially announced a new “Star Trek” prequel film, this time taking place decades before the original 2009 “Star Trek” film. “Andor” director Toby Haynes will direct from a script by Seth Grahame-Smith (who is also writing another hotly touted CinemaCon title – the third “Now You See Me” film). J.J. Abrams is returning to produce.

But then again we’ve heard about a new “Star Trek” movie before.

Now, we are finally getting word of another film in development, with another writer/director team. But it’s not the first time that a “Star Trek” prequel script has been floated, as Erik Jendresen, co-writer of “Mission: Impossible: Dead Reckoning,” had submitted a script for “Star Trek: The Beginning” before J.J. had taken over and pitched his 2009 version. It depicted the Earth-Romulan War.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Five seasons feels like the end date for a lot of shows and based on declining quality after that, usually for the best.

Feels like we've only had two seasons of LDS.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

MikeJF posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress fuckity gently caress.

Wonder where they are on the pipeline, I hope they have a chance to do the ending knowing it's definitely the ending. (Admittedly, even if not, they've known for a while there was a good chance this was the ending, so there'll probably be some finality, but if they have a chance to do the ending after it was certain then they can give us a flashforward to Captain Boimler on the USS Modesto or something.)

Well we've had 40 episodes. Two season of old trek.

It had enough for two or three seasons until the characters fully promote out of the lower decks.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

MikeJF posted:

With SNW positioned as flagship and so popular, if they cancel SNW that means they're cancelling NuTrek as a whole. So yeah, might happen.

SNW is going to get at least five seasons.

Possibly more.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I can't believe how Picard turned out to be so mediocre.

Every season felt like it tried to walk back the previous due to viewer disdain to what happened.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Looks like he wants to do more.

People are good at getting Star Trek shows uncancelled.

When does that begin here?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I remember when I loved Fraiser.
I remember when that episode of the Simpsons happened.
I remember when I didn't know Kelsey Grammer was a POS.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 13, 2024

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
If you plan to watch SG-1, first you must be introduced to Christopher Judge learning about furries at a con.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB_1SK0I_sM

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Has Sybok ever been mentioned in the shows?

I know most are happy to forget he existed but if used right, there is potential there.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The Federation definitely wised up when it came to having more capable ships. It’s perceived that they were resting on their past victories and allowed hubris to over take them in TNG era until a string of incidents came and kicked them in the rear end. The Borg was able to cruise to Earth rather easily taking out everything, the first time around dozens of ships were destroyed. Many of which were out dated and shouldn’t even have been there at all. Oberth? Constitution? Why were they even there. It was a patch work group at best with a single known Galaxy ship. The rest were out dated and modified versions of various ships. It was kinda pathetic.

Thanks to the Borg they finally got some dedicated ships to handle major threats like the Defiant, plus others that were created to fight the Borg but came in drat handy when the Dominion came knocking. A threat so big they could only win by getting all the major powers allied with them. They kind of lucked in with the aliens in the worm hole helping them out and vanishing a good many Dominion ships. But even with all that they actually had to almost take out the founders themsleves and offer a cure before peace was achieved. The Dominion isn't going to sit around forever, you know they're coming back one day, Odo against it or not.

At this current time point in Trek history now, it appears most Starfleet ships are designed to give a good fight and be able to take a good beating as well. Facing possible extinction, assimilation and enslavement really tends to change a view point, you want to do what is right but you also want to be prepared. Facing them all back to back likely changed the Federation in many ways more than we see.

Especially if they’re being called on to save every other power in the quadrant from time to time whoever it is. The way things are moving with every other power having crumbled, been beaten down or not really advancing as greatly as the Federation, most are primed to even swallowed up by it due to their reliance upon it.

Could get some pretty crazy things going if we start seeing more ships from other races be it Klingon, Romulan, Cardassian and the like all in more Federation styles. Give a time jump a hundred or so years from the current time in Star Trek and the whole Alpha Quadrant might be Federation based with all the races making up it's members if not discussing membership.

How advanced would the ships get. They're already pretty crazy in capability. What threats could actually be threats.

Or is the Federation progressing so well and gaining so much it's heading for it's inevitable collapse as all major powers, empires and kingdoms must after a time due to various issues that have always destroyed the most powerful after a time once expansion becomes too big and impossible to manage. Especially when there is crisis after crisis. Infighting etc.

Death from a thousand cuts and all that.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Strikes me as a way to be cheaper and not have to deal with having to put out as much quality product.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Wee Bairns posted:

I am an 'old' at 48. I grew up with nothing but reruns of TOS. My grandpappy and I would watch reruns of Kirk and co. at noons on Saturday on CBC :canada:, more religiously than church.. He had all the old James Blush episode adaptation novels which I read til the spines split. The preteen excitement of the TNG premiere had me snipping articles from the National Enquirer and collecting box art from various breakfast cereals promoting the 'new' series.
I got so spoiled. We got spoiled.Trek has continued, flourished and faltered over the years, but has always provided me new content and always had that positive spin on the future. I still genuinely look forward to each new installment, from the low drek of Picard to the highs of LDS/SNW.

But

As an old fan, I kinda pine for the days before the internet, when theories, plots and speculations were shared amongst fanzines and stuff. Where non-sanctioned book collections like The Best of Trek (and their awesome covers) were the only connection we had with the fandom. Where each new Ballentine or Pocket Book novel was an anticipated treat, Starlog was a bible and the old FASA RPGs were expanding the 'canon'.
sigh

I use to watch episodes on CBC long ago as well. I had totally forgotten Star Trek had been on there until you mentioned this. I remember watching the episode about Spocks brain.

Things have definitely changed, our world has gotten bigger and smaller at the same time.

In my college days reading about Kirks return via the Borg. What a weird thing that was.

Almost as weird as that story I heard about how simulations of Kick and Picard were co captains of an spherical Enterprise that went off to learn all that was learnable(sounds familar huh) and came back only to find out the Federation had ascended to a higher plane.

Oh and Data was on the ship and hadn't left his quarters for a few hundred years.

It was probably someones nutty fanfic.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Wee Bairns posted:

Hah, that's probably a story in one of Pocket's old Strange New Worlds(heh) fan-submitted contest books. Some really fun and oddball stories in those iirc

That would explain it!

Only heard about it second hand so the story might be crazier than I was told.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

The Chairman posted:

It helps that Babylon 5's tech level is pretty restricted compared to Star Trek -- no warp drive, no transporter, no replicator, no holodeck -- and it's pretty good at thinking through the implications of the technology it does have, like the jump gates and psychics

Babylon 5's concepts were planned out so good NASA was extremely invested in using the Starfury design as a forklift for work in zero-g for a long time.

JMS only requested they keep the name.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

MikeJF posted:

I've heard this a bunch. Does anyone have any source for it? Because that's not really how NASA works when it comes to designing things.

It's from JMS himself.

He tells the story so I don't know what to tell you other than he's either telling the truth or lying.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
That might be the case.

It easily explains things.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
He's pretty agreeable to show up in things if people ask him.

He appeared in that Friday the 13th movie that goes into space. His only request was that he die.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right at some point they set up a hologram program of sexy teen counselors to distract Jason into trying to kill them? :allears:

Also the opening sequence with the sting operation by the military is absolutely loving amazing.

Two different movies!

The first is from Jason X, and yeah they use a hologram suite to occupy Jason for a bit. This includes two women who ask him if he wants to drink some beer, smoke some pot and have *GASP* premarital sex.

It's one of the more infamous "kills" as he puts them into sleeping bags and beats one with the other. Then slams that one into a tree.

Ah hell, here's youtube to do it justice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF629C5WRqU

The one with the FBI doing the sting operation and blowing him up is from the previous movie, Jason goes to Hell. It's the only good part of the movie. Unless you like Jason being a demon slug that takes over bodies. They made some twenty year old kid director. WTF all around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8pq---bYd0 Jason gets blown up real good in a half rear end way.

Professor Beetus posted:

I just don't like the prime directive as interpreted by TNG. It's an extremely stupid reading that doesn't adhere to the spirit of the concept at all. If I remember right, they even start citing and applying it to warp capable worlds which is like ???

Like the whole thing with Wesley on the sex planet was dumb for several reasons but Picard never should have hemmed and hawed over it the way he did. It was not a prime directive situation but he treated it like it was.

I've always viewed TNG as being a time when the Federation and a lot of people in Star Fleet were kinda up their own rear end. They drank the kool aid hard on how enlightened and advanced they were. They kept saying they weren't like humanity had been and, in some ways, they were right, but a lot of time they were tolling the line. We've seen them be all too human. And as threats came fast and furious that shook them out of their compliancy, we've seen them develop. A lot of this thanks to Roddenberry passing away, he wasn't a fan of any conflict between crew or to various others. It really stifled things and made them feel more wooden, partly why the first season was so horrible.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah TNG was all Shakespeare and jazz quartets, art appreciation and poetry readings.

We have "evolved" and all that.

Which was bullshit. They acted like the Federation's advances in technology and philosophy were making them be inherently better. I'm glad the later shows* have gone out of their way to show that's not the case.

* and the movie where Picard shoots a Borg with a hard light tommy gun.

Once Gene kicked the bucket the shows were always going to move away from the stiff and wooden nature he wanted for humanity.

The best Star Trek movies are the ones that goes against everything he wanted, their success and approval prove it. He hated them, but Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country are peak ST movies for good reasons.

DS9 shined once it broke free of the confines that the series had been pidgeon holed into. It went places, it showed what happens when the Federation got dragged into a dirty fight. You don't win simply by being morally superior. It's why Sisko was the best Captain. He was the most real. He did what he had to do.

Easy to pretend to be a saint in paradise.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Oh god drat it

Sony and Apollo in Talks to Acquire Paramount

After letting exclusive talks with the movie studio Skydance lapse, Paramount’s directors met over the weekend and decided to negotiate with all the suitors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/05/business/media/sony-apollo-paramount.html

Paramount has decided to formally open negotiations with a bidding group led by Sony Pictures Entertainment and the private equity giant Apollo, according to three people familiar with the matter. The move comes after a period of exclusive talks with the Hollywood studio Skydance lapsed on Friday night.

A special committee of Paramount’s board of directors met Saturday and signed off on beginning deal talks with Sony and Apollo, which last week submitted a nonbinding letter of interest offering to buy the company for around $26 billion in cash, the people said. The committee also decided to push for further negotiations with Skydance, a studio founded by the technology scion David Ellison.

Paramount, the owner of Nickelodeon, MTV, CBS and Paramount Pictures, has been exploring a deal as it faces industrywide headwinds, including the decline of cable TV and the unprofitability of its streaming business.

Any deal between the Sony group and Paramount faces hurdles. Government regulations restrict foreign ownership of broadcast networks and could prevent Sony’s parent company, based in Japan, from owning CBS outright. The bidding group would probably push for Apollo, which is based in the United States, to hold the rights to the CBS broadcast license, according to two people familiar with their strategy.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If it ends up with Apollo, that’s basically it for the franchise again. It’ll all be dead within 2-5 years because that’s what private equity groups do best.

This.

This is the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Doesn't TBBT, CSI, NCIS and their spin offs make money and are usually pretty good ratings hits or staples of TV?

Won't fault anyone for not liking them, but if they do well and make money, I don't see why you would get rid of them. Seems like a way of losing out on things that make you money.

Also, what's the deal with Discovery.

I only saw the first episode but the hate the show gets is, quite intense. I've tried to find out why but half the stuff I found were screaming about "the woke" and quite frankly that's a good way to know the person is a moron. Not to say the show might not have issues, but can people sum them up why in a way that isn't cringe worthy.