Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If STP turns out to suck it will mean an entire generation has been born, grown up and become able to legally drink since there has been an even halfway decent season of Star Trek on television

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Enterprise season 4 is only a sophomore in high school at this point.

Ent S4 is still bad. It’s better than the first three seasons and if Ent had started from a point like that, it might have eventually turned into a good show. But unfortunately it was just one of those cases where they were allowed to go for broke at the end because it didn’t matter, the show was doomed in the back room whatever they did. I don’t particularly like its nostalgia baiting with stuff like the augments either. Disco is frequently guilty of this too. A little of it works (DS9 strikes a good balance of callbacks to older material) but too much at once just gets sad.

Disco almost managed to have a half decent S2 but in the end failed because the showrunner change meant they were forced to tie together two essentially unrelated stories however they could. I have some hope for S3 though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

MichiganCubbie posted:

Make T'Pol a starfleet officer.

No can do, :spock: was The First Vulcan In Starfleet so now everyone has to work around that for their half dozen prequels. Tbh the writers were already kind of fudging that by having T’pol on board at all, but she was the best character on the show so I’m not gonna complain.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

I thought Tpol did join Starfleet as a commissioned officer by season 4?

She gets breveted in after she quits Vulcan High Command over the Xindi thing

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

It doesn't really make any sense that Starfleet was around for so long with no Vulcans so probably best to just ignore Spock being the first.

Sure it does. Starfleet is a human organization. Vulcans had their own organization that was eventually superseded by it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Maybe if they hadn't made a bunch of bullshit prequel crap this wouldn't be an issue. I have no idea why they've only every decided to go backwards after DS9

Risk aversion

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

There was an all-Vulcan crew federation ship in TOS, they all joined starfleet after Spock?

Sure, why not? Spock’s been in Starfleet for quite a while by TOS.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Masks could have been great. You can tell Menosky wasn’t satisfied with it because he basically did a cheaper version of it over again on DS9, but unfortunately it was even worse.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

In fairness, being boring as poo poo is also strong TOS S4 energy

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I love Stewart but if his contributions to the TNG movies are any indication, he’s kind of a moron. I wouldn’t take his creative involvement as an unambiguous positive for the show. Yes i know he did a whole interview where he talks about how he’s now seen TNG and understands why people liked it, but please consider why he/CBS felt the need for him to do that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Tighclops posted:

I've only ever seen her in that one Bond movie, can someone point me to reasons why everyone loves Michelle Yeoh because I feel like I'm missing something

She’s good in Crouching Tiger

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Croatoan posted:

I hope Geordi got laid with a real girl by now.

The way tech went in post-TNG stuff he could probably have just legally married his holowaifu

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

According to All Good Things he actually married Leah Brahms, so either she got divorced or her old husband died... or Geordi really did marry Holobrahms and everyone is pretending she's real to humour him :tinfoil:

I sure hope Picard has an episode over whether it’s ethical for a hologram deepfake sex doll of a real person to exist, or whether it’s murder to turn her off

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Would totally believe you if you told me Disco had no incidental music at all

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Toshiro Mifune as a Klingon is such a great idea that it could have carried absolutely everything else about the movie. Even if they crammed in the Spock killing JFK thing or w/e

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Delthalaz posted:

They need a joke like Federation news ticker mentioning the Green Line extension to Somerville is now operational

Too far fetched

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That was WAY better than any Disco episode, despite some clunky exposition and so-so dialogue and a surprising reliance on Nemesis. Might still collapse but they did some good work for themselves here.

I was a little surprised at how normal the Romulan servants/renters/aides/whatever were. It’s an interesting and imo good choice to portray average-Joe Romulans rather than the military men and women that have made up so much of their image. A lot of this depends on the two actors though who are both charming.

Alison Pill’s character seems like she could get lame fast.

Personal tiny nitpick: how is Dahj watching a live broadcast at night in Boston, of something happening during the day in France

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Was it a live interview? It could just have been reaired at night.

Also, do we need to do spoiler tags? It's not like this was all dumped at once, it's a weekly show. If you haven't seen the week's episode, don't read the thread.

Someone complained about it because they live in Canada where it hasnt aired or something. idk

Also if it wasn't a live interview I assume they wouldn't have aired to the whole galaxy the part where Picard schooled the reporter and told her to get the gently caress out

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Armack posted:

I have no trouble buying the positronic neuron thing.

It's not too hard to believe Soong would be crazy enough to make the positronic brain somehow fractal. Maybe he or one of his ancestors who laid the groundwork for the project got sick of forgetting to save their work. A fractal brain would at least be easy to back up, hence the current plot.

Edit: Why didn't they just ask Data's mom? She was still around last we knew.

She was programmed to die (because she thought she was human) and was pretty old when we first met her. not gonna spoiler this because it aired 25 years ago

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

What's the significance of Data having five queens of hearts in the poker game? Has he been cheating this whole time?

Just a tip to Picard/viewers that something’s wrong. Five of a kind is also the best possible poker hand though obviously normally you could only get that with a wild card

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

Or a hint as to the true mastermind behind these events, the cards all read Q :tinfoil:

:eyepop:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Wait, aren't Romulus and Vulcan in the same star system? They're related right?

No they’re nowhere near each other. Romulans are descended from Vulcans who hosed off to the other end of space when Vulcans started talking about “logic” and “reason” and “not constantly slaughtering each other over everything”

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Would yall join Starfleet or would yall, like me, live a life of aimless luxury space communism while saying “weed, ghost train, dank” to your replicator 5 times a day

Do both. hotbox stellar cartography

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Only thing it's missing is the obligatory setting-appropriate substitution for 'gorilla'.

Mugato

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Did I miss something incredibly obvious here. Is that not exactly what happened?

It’s not clear at all what they’re doing. It’s just referred to as a “Romulan reclamation site” which to me implied that they’re literally reclaiming Romulans from being drones.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

I expect if you didn't restrict content, recreational holodeck use would be like 3% genre adventures (detective, cowboy, knight, etc.), 22% just total power fantasy like Worf beating up skeleton monsters or like a program where you're a kaiju just wrecking a city or a superhero, and 75% content that would make Larry Flynt blush.

Hell, why separate the three

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

My favorite Siddig role is probably his scenery-scarfing worst PM of all time in Doomsday

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

This was a pretty fun episode. I’m not sure I fully grasped the byplay of the conspirators. Is the evil commodore supposed to be a Vulcan or a Romulan impersonating a Vulcan or what? She’s obviously evil, her name doesn’t sound obviously Vulcan or Romulan, and she doesn’t seem especially dispassionate or logical, but she also doesn’t seem to be a Zhat Vash(sp?) since she wants to get some kind of knowledge about the androids instead of just smoke them, unlike “Rizzo” or bucktooth guy (have we heard this guy’s name yet?) Not sure who is playing whom here.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They probably should have released the first three episodes (at least) together. A lot of this episode’s problems come from the fact that it’s obviously a bridge from “Picard gets involved” to “Picard gets a boat and goes to space”. Like a lot of Disco episodes, it doesn’t have too much plot in itself.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

That's actually something I've grown a little weary of. I'm both Disco and Picard have dwelled on how everything got started and why certain characters are brought together, which is certainly something worth examining... But I can't help but feel Star Trek works best if you either start with a crew and either introduce them as a lump sum or bring a new character into an existing crew to help the audience learn.

In essence, what I'm feeling from Picard right now is that we're chatting in the tavern and doing knowledge checks, when I really want to get out and explore the continent.

Yeah it’s not good if you’re not binge watching which...you can’t do in this case because CBS doesn’t want you to.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

They won't find Bruce Maddox. It will be his son, Deuce Maddox.

Bruce Madderox

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Also the reason I thought Oh was a Romulan posing as a Vulcan was because she seemed pretty emotional, or at least not-affectless-Vulcan in the scene where she yells at Peyton List

She praised Rizzo’s passion for her work as well, though I guess that could have been sarcastic

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

She was definitely a Romulan, why would a Vulcan be in charge of the Romulan death squad?

Is she in charge of them? She doesn’t seem to have a firm handle on Rizzo and Rizzo refers to her as an “ally” that they need to worry about alienating, not as their unquestioned boss. This is what I was complaining about earlier, I’m not sure I get the power dynamic between the three conspirators.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Lizard Combatant posted:

I don't know that you need to know the specifics of conspiracy right off the bat.
It's pretty clear that she's a Vulcan working with the Romulans on some secret plot.

Is it? We were just talking about how she seemed more like a Romulan pretending to be a Vulcan

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

My illegal anti lepton past reconstruction device shows that this argument is going in circles

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

They should at least Star Trek em up. You son of a Betazoid bitch. I don't give a Romulan star gently caress about the Prime Directive. Suck my Klingon pharangeal dick (it's in the technical manual)

This. You talarian poon hound

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Doesn’t like, the FCC get on your case about that? Serious question, I have no idea if there would be any consequences if Netflix claimed a cartoon was for kids but then it said “gently caress” a lot

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I really liked the mad max hair on the Chief Drama Officer

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Jake-o is a great character. Smh at anyone who mentions him in the same breath as Wes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The desert sucks don’t do it.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I guess I'm hard on it because the 90s run of Star Trek felt like it was doing it's best despite being hobbled by 90s production quotas, budget and network mandates for a syndication friendly, family show. They could only dream of the post cable drama TV boom we're in today. Plus if you're not trying to do better than what came before, what's the point?

Constraints provide the structure that allows one to succeed (or fail). The fewer constraints on you, the harder it is to know what to do. Basically all those TOS episodes about how paradise would be boring and we need to experience struggle to find meaning were totally true

skasion fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 7, 2020