Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I feel, from the trailers, that the Picard team hasn't been given as big a budget as Discovery did. Or maybe it's just also going to Patrick and co. salaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Rhyno posted:

It has Michelle Yeoh.

I'm sad that she didn't get to act as her normal non-Hitler character for more than about 25 minutes.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

skasion posted:

No can do, :spock: was The First Vulcan In Starfleet so now everyone has to work around that for their half dozen prequels. Tbh the writers were already kind of fudging that by having T’pol on board at all, but she was the best character on the show so I’m not gonna complain.

I thought Tpol did join Starfleet as a commissioned officer by season 4?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Also Discovery shows a Vulcan Admiral so I think the writers don't actually care much about Spock being the first.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

pyrotek posted:

Does this even count as spoiler? Supposedly they just use the TNG theme, no changes.

That's going to be weird.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
So it took a few decades but Trek finally got a good pilot episode.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
That was one of the best episodes of Star Trek ever. Love how it is slower-paced and less bombastic than Discovery.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Thank goodness they've retconned the Hobus supernova to just have been Romulus' star instead, the original made zero sense.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The Ready Room show had an interview with Russo going over why he did what he did with the intro theme which was nice - he really wanted to bring in the Flute from the Inner Light.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Lizard Combatant posted:

That was a really nice character introduction and Pill nailed it.

So far all the new actors are really good and holding up.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

MikeJF posted:

With her body vanishing I'd put good odds on her coming back - yeah her flesh was burned off but they made it sound like the only thing that's really difficult is the neural net, if that survived they can replace the rest.

If data can survive the warpcore plamsa melting off his flesh, she'll be fine.

Also, I think the theme is really great - It took a few listens but I can hum it fine now from memory.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Delthalaz posted:

IDK, I hate that it's too soon to know if it's good or not. The first episode had some good stuff, some stuff I wasn't a fan of. I liked the "be the Picard we remember" touch at the beginning. But that's a problem with these serialized shows, they can keep you guessing with mystery box bullshit until they let you down with the realization it's really just the stupidest thing.

Too me it seems like the show is purposefully not doing mystery boxes? A normal show would absolutely not have shown that she was an android in the first episode, there would just be 'hints' until it dramatically was revealed half way through the season. The story seems it will literally be Picard trying to find and save this twin and maybe it will expand as we learn more about what Maddox has been doing, with presumably, the Romulans. Things are fairly clear right now.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Bets on Data being reconstituted as flesh and blood Brent Spiner by the end of the season?

Brent would never allow this.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

bou posted:

As someone who never liked TNG i must say that it was ok enough to make me watch the second episode and see how it uunfolds. I absolutely do not want sophisticated space-aristocrat Jean-Luc Picard but disgruntled, disillusioned old geezer Picard who brutally eviscerates a bloated Starfleet Moloch. A man can dream.

Also, if they reveal, that (Speculation) Dahj 's Name is some sort of derivate from "Data"+"Jean-Luc" i'm gonna puke!

I thought it was simply a shortened 'Daughter' - Chabon did the same kind of distorted name thing with the Vedyrash short trek.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Jay's replaced by Home Alone kid most of the time now.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

Random thought. Did anyone else think it was a little unfair of Jean-Luc to blame the reporter for not being familiar with "Dunkirk"? It happened almost five hundred years ago. It'd be like us name-dropping (*throws a dart at Wikipedia*) "Castillon" to a reporter and then castigating them for not immediately recognizing that you mean the battle from the Hundred Years' War. I get that he was mad, but it still seemed unfair to throw it in her face.

Nah gently caress her - it would be her job to ask him to expound on that, especially that she already referenced the entire galaxy is watching this and of course your average Telleratire doesn't know anything about an old Earth War. She didn't care what he thought, it was a hit piece and I thought it was fairly visible that she was BS'ing as if she did know what it was.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

e.martin posted:

I am interested to see if on Picard there will any mention of the Dominion Wars or what transpired after the DS9 finale or if they will choose to ignore that entirely.

I'm going to go with ignore - the first episode already got flak from critics for spending awhile doing scenes purely for exposition. I doubt they're going to mention anything else that hasn't made its way into the general culture beyond very unimportant easter eggs for fans.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I enjoy watching the RLM reviews even when they're clearly BS.

For instance, they spent a minute mocking the first scene with Djah where the Romulans try to kidnap her and put a bag over her head. The RLM crew thought that the bag itself was meant to knock her out (and to be fair, I did too the first time I watched it, but that was due to the slow-motion effect they had going on). Immediately following the bag going over her head, the Romulan tries to punch her head to knock her out, this is the point we know she's activated as she somehow blocks it without even seeing it coming.

They also somehow thought the Romulans were building the Borg cube themselves? Looked pretty clear they were hoboing up in it and harvesting tech from it.

For all they love to review things, their lack of actually 'watching' stuff has been getting worse and worse over the years so they can make fun of stuff on youtube. It's on the same tier as CinemaSins.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 27, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Epicurius posted:

I mean of course, the real life reason was that, in the late '60s, the mainstream historical opinion of Nazi Germany was that, while it was incredibly evil and genocidal, Germany under the Nazis was efficient and Nazism was a unifying force for non Jewish Germans.

It wasnt until the early '80s, I think, that historians started doing in depth studies of the Nazi economy and governmental structure and realized that it was remarkably inefficient and self sabotaging.

Seeing how the historiography surrounding Nazi Germany has evolved since the war is as much fun as studying the period itself. Hitler was regarded as a war genius for a long while.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
If Lower Decks isn't canceled within 2 seasons I'd be surprised.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I think RLM might reduce their criticism if the show doesn't end up being about superweapons and destroying the Federation (still worried that it might end up like that). I do wish that they'd give the fans just a little more world-building though - what is happening to Starfleet makes perfect sense in the context of the aftermath of the Dominion war and sadly, as that was all on a 90's show no one watched, it will never be mentioned.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Picard was willing to become Locutus again so Data could be freed.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Torrannor posted:

I'm also pretty sure this will turn very bad when the new Discovery episodes get released, with most of the Picard fans trashing Disco as "not real Star Trek".

Just you wait until the S31 show comes out.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Preview of Patrick - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nM2xkejpZI

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Bringing back the syndrome from All Good Things is a good plot device to use if Patrick dies while they're filming I guess and to remove his presence from the show and maybe if that doesn't happen, with the borg plot, they can have borg tech repair it

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The 'Romulans have always hated all AI' plot is odd - TNG had Admiral Jarok talk to Data about it: "You're the android. I know a host of Romulan cyberneticists that would love to be this close to you."

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Panzeh posted:

I kinda feel like the desire to avoid TNG characters hurt this episode a good bit, especially when they get namedropped. If they didn't want to tell a TNG story, they shouldn't have made it about Picard.

Geordi and Worf would've been perfect people to try to convince him not to go or to go get him a ship. I get not wanting to tell a story with the same old people, but you get a lot better character moments if it's them rather than his old doctor from the stargazer. His crew doesn't have to be the old crew, but I feel like giving the ensemble bit parts would've worked better here in telling more story in less time.

The admiral scene kinda sucks, i think, because they really wanted to get to the 'hard decisions' line but had no idea how to get there.

I sympathize with Starfleet's position - it is pretty serious for member worlds to be threatening to pull out and after the attack I can easily see the rest of the Federation giving in out of fear. I think this is meant to be a mirror of the western and eastern European Union countries fighting over the Middle East refugee crisis. I think the Admiral scene makes sense if you view it as divorced parents coming face to face after decades not seeing each other and Picard acting like he can act like he can ignore all the bad things that happened.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Give us an Elite Dangerous style 3D blob map now CBS.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I can't imagine Brooks ever coming back to the role - he doesn't care about Trek one bit and he's acting in DC theater right now.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I thought the episode was fine, I think the next 2 are really going to be the make or break for the show in terms of my confidence in its direction.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
So these are the ONLY Romulans ever assimilated? And when it happened the Cube broke down?

I'm pretty sure that's what Hugh said and if Romulans actually can break the collective by just being assimilated, that's another retcon from Voyager showing ex-Romulan borg - https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Orum

I do like the Rios pilot guy though and his EMH - I guess that clears up that those kind of hologram programs aren't banned.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The spy glasses were dumb but her rank pip was also completely skewed, I'm surprised none of the crew noticed that and fixed it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Next episode will either be amazing or terrible

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Colonist White Saviour Picard.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I think Voyager did a great job designing the interior of Borg ships - it's really iconic - what we have in Picard just isn't that Alien to me and doesn't make me think of the Borg at all.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Did Picard ever go back to Baku on shore leave?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
How does a post-scarcity and utopian society let Tasha's rape planet happen

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

gently caress that battle is awful. It looks like a lovely video game sequence. In fact that's an insult to video games because the battles in mass effect were better put together than that.

Why is everything in the Orville so aesthetically awful?

I remember that battle scene being well received in the Orville thread.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

Seriously, watching that Raffi scene again, it's really REALLY hosed up. She's clutching a booze bottle, hitting the snake leaf, fucks over an old friend, burns the friendship, falls out of her chair afterwards and needs to be carried back to her bunk. Elron looks concerned, Jurati looks disturbed (but then she always looks disturbed,) and there's JL, clapping, happy as a pig in poo poo that he's getting what he wants, while the music triumphantly swells into the TNG fanfare.

And then, THEN, a good chunk of the second half of the episode is dedicated to him facing his trauma and being helped through it, entirely unlike he just completely ignored Raffi's trauma.

Everything surrounding Raffi is very weird, I don't know what the show is going for - which is disappointing as the actor seems to really care about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Yum yum.