Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Michelle Yeoh clones everywhere.

And the downside to this is...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

skasion posted:

She’s good in Crouching Tiger

And Crazy Rich Asians, and Kung-Fu Panda 2, and Sunshine. Saying you've only seen her in Tomorrow Never Dies is kinda like saying you've only seen Patrick Stewart in Masterminds and you're baffled by why people like him so much.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

I’ve only seen Brent Spiner in Master of Disguise. Apparently he played a robot or something on a tv show?

Eh, you're not missing much :nallears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Georgia Peach posted:

I re-watched Enterprise recently and I liked it a lot more than I did originally. The episodes I disliked the most though were the ones with Brent Spiner, though, but despite him, not because of him.

Arik Soong was a really fun character and Spiner was digging the hell out of getting the chance to ham it up as a morally grey character. If Enterprise had gotten a fifth season, he's one of the people I wished they brought back for it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Abalone Malone posted:

Star Trek : Ruthless Aggression!!!

KILL GEORDI! :black101:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

skasion posted:

The way tech went in post-TNG stuff he could probably have just legally married his holowaifu

According to All Good Things he actually married Leah Brahms, so either she got divorced or her old husband died... or Geordi really did marry Holobrahms and everyone is pretending she's real to humour him :tinfoil:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drone posted:

Oh yeah, Guinan. Y'know what, hell yeah, bring back Guinan.

https://twitter.com/TheView/status/1220028276879568897

I've always been a fan of Guinan, so gently caress yeah bring her back. Whoopi Goldberg's always a blast to watch in anything she does and she needs a break from telling John McCain's Daughter to shut up every week.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Okay friends, dipping out since I wont be able to watch this for about 10 hours, here's hoping for some magic!

Okay, they're gone. Everyone post about how Picard runs around naked in the first scene pointing at his dick and screaming "Make THIS so!". Man, that was sure nutty wasn't it?

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 23, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pyrotek posted:

Will we need to use spoiler tags in this thread?

A lot people in Canada won't be seeing it until it airs on TV, or probably later than that, so... yes?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

Bob Orci is the 9 / 11 truther, not Kurtzman. Orci and Kurtzman had a falling-out several years ago and don't work together anymore.

Yeah, Orci got pissed that people hated Into Darkness and left the Bad Robot/Star Trek production posse in an angry huff. Luckily, between him and Kurtzman, Orci was the one who knew jack poo poo about Star Trek while Kurtzman has at least journeyman's knowledge. So if you HAD to pick between one or the other, the right one got the gently caress out.

Show really good though. Holy poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Retrowave Joe posted:

So did Voyager, which blew my mind when I saw the article where they showed the design sketches for it.

The Aeroshuttle was the biggest dropped ball in Voyager. It was even designed so they could reuse the Runabout sets from DS9, and it looked cool as hell too. Though if they used it on Voyager we wouldn't have gotten the Delta Flyer.

Or maybe they could have made both work. Who knows.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

I hate the delta flyer

I'm sorry that you are wrong :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I know it's coming eventually and I cannot loving wait for the rerun of the First Contact "There's another starship incoming... It's the Enterprise!" moment, only we get to see it from the opposite perspective this time and see what they decide to do with the Enterprise-F. Because while I used to think it was ugly as poo poo the STO F and I'd actually love for it to show up on screen now.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 24, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Captain Kim! (no relation)

You know what, gently caress it, make Harry Kim the captain of the F. Give Garrett Wang some recompense for 7 years of hell on Voyager.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I mean for real it was absolute dogshit that every member of the Voyager cast got the chance to direct an episode of the series EXCEPT for Garrett Wang. What the gently caress was wrong with Rick Berman? (don't answer that question we'll be here all night)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God, The Offspring is such a hard watch in a post-2016 world with its resident rear end in a top hat Admiral's being thing going "I want to rip this child away from their parent and put them in a cage because I consider them less than human." And that's even with Picard going "gently caress off, rear end in a top hat" even chance he gets to him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drone posted:

While this could be cool, does it even need to be the -F? The -E is like 25 years old at this point, maybe the Sovereign-class turns out to have some longevity to it.

An Enterprise cameo (regardless of which letter comes after the name) is probably too hard to resist for the writer's team though. Seems like mostly a question of who they're gonna cameo as her captain. My money's on Geordi.

The E is my favourite Enterprise design, I just kind of want the F to be actual canon because it's derpy double decker space bathtub shape has kind of grown on me over the years since it was unveiled.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drone posted:

I just assumed the queens meant literally nothing, other than having five of the same card to tip Picard off to the fact that he was dreaming.

I'm not sure that everything has to have a secret hidden meaning, that's a weird mentality that years of being broken by LOST seems to have imparted on modern TV.

Unfortunately Alex Kurtzman is a disciple of the increasingly reviled JJ Abrams Mystery Box style of storytelling that was perfected on Lost. And it takes a while, if ever, to unlearn that kind of storytelling.

I agree though it was probably just a quick shorthand for letting Picard know (because the audience has already figured it out) that he's dreaming by having Data slam down a literally impossible poker hand and then everything going to poo poo in the dream when Picard realizes he's dreaming.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

to be fair they assimilated picard and then made him massacre hundreds (thousands?) of his friends and colleagues en mass. I think that's a lot more traumatic than the "in and out in a single episode" bullshit voyager did.

Also Picard was taken unwillingly by the Borg and had his humanity forcibly ripped away. Janeway got herself voluntarily assimilated as a part of her plan from the beginning and had a doodad in her brain that blocked out the Hive Mind and kept her free will intact.

It was still dumb as poo poo in hindsight, but a completely different situation from Picard becoming Locutus.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Wow yeah 11k at the battle of Wolf 359 according to sperg-alpha. Just how many mirandas did they blow up?

Miranda Classes are like hydra heads. You blow one of them up, two more spring into existence fully crewed and ready to be blown up themselves.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Have they ever explained why the Supernova didn't take years to impact other nearby systems at light speed?

They realized how impossible it was to explain now that they’re doing Serious Trek again, so they changed it to being the star in the Romulan home system being the one that randomly went supernova. So the only planets that were lost were Romulus, Remus, and the rest of the system.

Though it has the knock-on effect of making Spock look really bad and incompetent if he still went through with his plan to stop/contain the nova with his weird rear end Mystery Box red matter crap. Because he couldn’t even get to a star ~1 AU away in time before it destroyed the one place he promised to save.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Golden Gael posted:

Wait did Spock know that just beaming a supernova to another universe using black holes will still mean the Romulans will die, they'll just freeze instead of fry?

This was back when it was a random star that went nova and the shockwave somehow made it to Romulus at FTL speeds. In the context of Star Trek Picard it somehow makes even less sense. So I'm just going to go with "Spock died on Romulus and there was no red matter or Jellyfish ship or anything". It's way simpler. The Kelvin Timeline simply happens because it happens, because it's Fun Trek and we don't need to think in Fun Trek because it's supposed to be fun. Picard is Serious Trek.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drone posted:

Mad About Hugh

I mean, there is a subset of weird YouTube People who are legit mad about this show for..l I honestly know why, literally everyone else on the planet who’s seen it so far is gushing about it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

If you're gonna bring back any DS9 character then O'Brien is probably the most obvious one who doesn't even need shoehorning in since 20 years later he is probably still teaching on Earth.

Send O’Brien back to Pike’s Enterprise and turn him evil in the process so we can resume where Hell on Wheels left off with Colm Meaney perpetually scheming to murder Anson Mount.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm mostly basing my assertion off the original writer's bible for TOS and to a similar extent TNG.

Basically: Science is good, but if there's no story, then science must go.

The biggest things for those two bibles was character, story and believable-ness. You can do something about Holodecks, you cannot just have characters go "whoooa man whoooa holodecks this tech is amazing whoaaaa like enterprise did". Nobody wants to watch a show about neat gadgets. It's boring. Science as well is not really a story in an of itself, so if you can't get a good story out of the tech or the science, then you don't worry about it too much.The believable part refers to characters being consistently written and behaving the way they're supposed to (unless the story is about characters being out of character).

Watching Weird Entertainment Conspiracy Youtube shriek and scream all day about Star Trek being "about the science" or "the canon" and claiming that The Next Generation was 100% pure intellectual smartguy bigbrain hardscience, all of the time, with zero instances of anything else is so strange I'm almost compelled to ask if these people watch or care about Star Trek at all...

That's not even getting into the strongly and confidently stated claims that Star Trek not only flawlessly maintains a completely consistent canon and, before "they" took over from Rick Berman, was a show filled with integrity, honesty, and a core dedication to making good television and nothing else.

I saw one such Weird Entertainment Conspiracy YouTuber having a full on twitter meltdown yesterday screaming about how she was demanding a personal apology from Alex Kurtzman before she'd ever watch another episode of Star Trek again. It was kind of amazing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Anyway, viewership numbers are starting to trickle in, and Picard's first episode was the most watched single broadcast in the history of CTV Sci-Fi/Space Channel in Canada. God only knows how well its doing on Amazon Prime and CBS Access if it did this well on a Canadian basic cable broadcast network.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Is it that redhead nutcase? I saw a video filled with her histronics and amazingly enough she was directly quoting a random 4chan shitpost ("I'm an insider guys! they fired kurtzman for real! they're going to sell star trek to Seth macfarlane!!") and constantly choking back and being on the verge of tears. I'd laugh, but I honestly feel sorry for people like this. At one point she grabs her breasts and goes "yeah, me! someone like me likes ship schematics!" which...there's just so much stuff to unpack there!

Here's someone talking about how nobody liked special effects in Star Trek, or explosions or space battles or vicariously lived the life of a starfleet officer...
Content Warning: Dangerous psychosis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLr14zO3i0E&t=180s

Yes it was the red (and blue) haired lady. Though there only seems to be like five of these folks and they all reinforce one another's worst antics.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Is there a Youtube Bot that lets you down vote every video on a channel? That would be useful for people like that.

There's a browser extension for Chrome and FireFox called BlockTube. It lets you block channels and videos from showing up in your feed or search results. I started using it last year and it cleared all these perma-mad asswipes out of my life for the most part.

Also thanks to The Algorithm, YouTube counts upvotes and downvotes equally as Engagement so you're actually making the video more popular by doing that.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 25, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I feel you on blocking them, but poo poo like this is incredibly funny:

That last tweet was the one I was referring to, yeah. Holy poo poo all the ones before it :psyduck: especially that "Nebulous Past Trek From My Childhood knew how to do diversity right" one. Just... holy poo poo. What is she even saying.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MichiganCubbie posted:

I hope Mike is happy

I have identified a fatal flaw in your reasoning :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eiba posted:

What's TDS in this context?

I don't really want to continue this thread too much, because it does not make me laugh, it just makes me sad. This person has very strongly held beliefs, and they're legitimately very upset.

I just want to know why. It's not entirely clear from these if they're politically reactionary, or just reactionary about entertainment that's perceived to be a bit different than what they grew up with.

And I don't want to watch any of their dumb videos to find out.

Trump Derangement Syndrom. She is mad that popular culture is making fun of her big wet orange god emperor, as pop culture is want to do of people who become President, even when they don't hold monstrously cartoonish worldviews. It does not compute to her that Trek has always been a mirror to its modern real world political landscape, and Picard and Discovery are a mirror to post-2016 Hellworld politics.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Binary Logic posted:

CTV Sci-Fi has a lot of hours to fill in a day and shows endless reruns of Xena, Andromeda, and Stargate Atlantis, so 'most watched' should be taken in context lol.

They're also a first-run primetime broadcaster for shows like Arrow, Supernatural, Discovery, Doctor Who, and The Expanse. Even "in context" this is loving huge for them.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 25, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MichiganCubbie posted:

:-( I really like Jay, and the Mike and Jay combo is my favorite. His taste in movies tends to line up decently with mine. How has he been misogynistic?

The Half in the Bag review of Captain Marvel is basically Jay going "Brie Larson should smile more" and Mike awkwardly going uhh.

It was bad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Which is also bizarre because half the movie is her smirking cockily... y'know, like a hotshot Air Force pilot would.

He meant in real life :ssh:/:yikes:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It came up again in their Dark Fate review and he went off on a tangent about the Ghostbusters reboot as well. Jay is like two years away from saying the quiet part out loud.

This is why I stick to Best of the Worst. Stuff like Rich Evans laughing at absurd poo poo/self-owning with his inept turns of phrases, and Mike laughing at old people and being genuinely righteously outraged at animal cruelty are all great.

Surviving Edged Weapons is like one of the best 20 minutes of material they’ve ever done.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

fadam posted:

So we know what those hosed up cross things floating beside the borg cube are?

Probably either space mines to keep someone from tractor beaming it away or to blow the poo poo out of it if the cube reactivates suddenly or if someone like the Federation stumbles upon it randomly to cover up the evidence, because the Romulans are hella paranoid like that. Or some kind of gravity tethers to hold the cube in place and keep it from drifting through space.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 26, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

Picard's got an unusually staggered international release schedule and this isn't just the Picard thread, it's also ostensibly the Disco and Short Trek thread, so something like 48 hours seems fair. Don't want to keep people from posting about spore drives just because they haven't gotten to their CBS All Access account by seven am on Thursday morning!

Yeah, it releases on CBS All Access/Amazon Prime midnight Thursdays Pacific time, airs live on television in Canada at 9PM Eastern time, and then airs in the UK on Fridays I believe. So yeah, probably best to at least keep spoiler tags on until about the Saturday following the episode.

Also Disco and Picard won't be airing at the same time so that should hopefully keep the cross-pollination of discussion content down for now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Do they like anything? It was a funny review at least and I tend to agree with them on a lot, but the show has been well received and it's hardly a "funeral".

Like I said, this is why I stick to Best of the Worst when it comes to RLM. When they’re talking about Star Trek and Star Wars they really come across like a couple of tired old men who are forever cranky that Star Wars is no longer Empire Strikes Back and Star Trek is no longer The Next Generation. One of the first things Mike says in his legendary Plinket Prequel review is “I don’t like things that are different” and it turns out that wasn’t an in-character line :v:

Well, I hope they have fun pouting because Picard looks like it’s gonna be rad as poo poo.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 27, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Delthalaz posted:

Did you guys not see Star Trek 6? Remember the vast military conspiracy within Starfleet to commit untold murder in order to keep the Cold War going? Even admiral Cartwright was in on it!

e: Kirk and the OG enterprise crew disobeying starfleet and doing the right thing was the plot for two to three of the six TOS movies .

Also lmao at this being heavy handed for Star Trek. They had to go back in time to the 1980s to save the whales ffs.

First Contact, Insurrection, and Into Darkness are also "gently caress Starfleet, we're doing what's right movies." So that's like literally half the film canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Hell I still have my VHS release of it where Rene Auberjonois plays the Starfleet Colonel turned assassin.

Did Starfleet even have Colonels outside of him in one movie? Seems like the usual progression is to be Captain until you're certifiably insane, and then you get to be an Admiral.

Enterprise brings back army/marines ranks for the MACOs. The marines assigned to the NX-01 in season 3 have ranks like Major, Corporal, and Private, so Col. West was probably whatever the movies version of MACO was. Though Undiscovered Country was all about the Federation abandoning is war footing and bringing it in line with TNG, which was already airing at the time and was high up its own rear end with Gene's end-days wackadoodle Actual Uber Utopia that he couldn't actually get away with in TOS. So folks like West were literally a dying breed at that point.