Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Over the course of the last few years I went through all the old Star Trek (even Enterprise) shows one episode a day and eventually ran out of them. So I picked Prodigy, Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds as my next watch.

Of the three I was most skeptical of LD and SNW (one was an adult cartoon comedy and the other a live-action prequel to TOS). And I gotta say I'm pleasently surprised. Prodigy is my favorite, but the other two have been quite fun.
And man, do I just love the retro-futuristic aesthetics of Strange New Worlds. Feels like they took TOS' designs and modernized them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
The temporal war is/has ongoing/ended.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I like how any time I learn more about Matalas, I'm happy Picard ended and he also didn't get to work on more.

Like, loving come on. You don't have to include every character that ever appeared.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
You know, I am honestly kinda curious about that Starfleet Academy show. I mean, sure, it could suck, but done right it could be fun.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Lighting it on fire as we speak.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

The Last Call posted:

Or a Morn one.

I don't think we can handle that.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Isn't the spore drive like some super complicated drive that requires a person to be connected to the ship? Feels like something that would always be stuck at the prototype stage.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I was skeptical of SNW going in, but yeah, it's good actually. I'm looking forward to Season 3.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
A reoccuring hang up with Mike is he likes TNG and only TNG and he compares everything to TNG. I'm not sure if he really likes DS9, for instance, despite it also having people be professionals.

But he also has fuzzy memories of TNG, because he forgets that there are a lot of cases where the crew acts in a casual or goofy manner. Riker playing with that Picard puppet that a kid made for "Captain Picard Day" is an example I always remember.

SNW in that regard isn't that different. Hell, I've gone through all of old Star Trek prior to watching some of the new stuff and TOS can be intentionally pretty silly, "The Trouble with Tribbles" is a fan favorite and that episode is pretty lighthearted and jokey.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I hope one day we hear what the hell was happening behind the scenes of stuff like Discovery and Picard.

TuxedoOrca fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 11, 2024

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Have they said anything about Prodigy? Except for it leaking of a French streaming service.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I'm pretty much going with either getting 5 seasons or the fourth season being the last one for SNW.

Also, I don't think Legacy is happening, because if they really do have Starfleet Academy in the pipeline that's probably gonna be SNW's replacement.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I don't mind SA being in the 32nd century if it leads to them coming up with new stuff instead of relying on the TOS and TNG era.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

FlamingLiberal posted:

If that ends up being the case, then it's because all of NuTrek is dead due to a merger

Well, if that happens at least we got some shows out of it.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
The lesson I learned with my watch through all of Star Trek was to just roll with it and accept the good and the bad as it hits you.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I meant if you're going through a show that's already done and aired, like SG-1 in this case or Star Trek in mine. You can do a good narrative and B5 is a good example of that, yeah.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I think SNW will be "Pike collects the Enterprise crew" and then they end it when it's all ready for TOS.

Plus, with how Paramount has been going, I have suspicions it isn't going passed five seasons.

Discovery was also their flagship show and they still booted it after five seasons.

The moment they have something else ready, SNW will get the boot.

TuxedoOrca fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 15, 2024

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Star Trek VI is an excellent film. One of my favorites.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Man, I can't believe how much Paramount has ruined itself.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Utterly briliant business move where I make a season then cancel the entire show and delete it.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
There were also people who would go into it and try to chart and explore it. Which is pretty dangerous, all things considered.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
And here I thought Discovery would pull an Enterprise and git gud at the end, but it still remains Discovery. :allears:

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
It's a TV show and it needs to introduce something to add to drama/tension. That's what the prime directive often is.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

DS9 did lasting damage to the franchise :colbert:

I agree. 100% and unironically.

And I liked DS9.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
The thing with DS9 is it's a great show on its own, but it gave too many people brainrot and we've been dealing with the consequences of them thinking all you need to make Star Trek "good" is a dark serialized plot because that's all they remember/heard of in regards to DS9 and not that the show was also full of humor, weird episodes, character moments, cringe poo poo and so on. All this gave the show some variance that wasn't just "everything sucks" for the 20th time.

Live action new Trek didn't finally get this until Strange New Worlds, by then they made two shows that featured assholes being assholes in a lovely world.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
The core problem with Discovery is that it's a show with potential, that's always in the end squandered, be it because of behind the scenes drama or just lack of experience for the people writing the show.

Like the original premise for Discovery was you have this ship that does weird experiments on the fringe of federation scientific understanding and that was never realized because it was pretty much from day one retooled into a prestige war drama.

Micheal Burnham being a human raised by Vulcans should be prime material for some character exploration that is never properly touched upon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Hey, on the bright side, it's ending this month.