Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
You guys are putting more thought into this than the writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

pik_d posted:

It's Zhat Vash

Yeah this is what the subtitles said.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I like the stupid camera tracking shots.

It adds some visual interest and employs visual effects artists for no reason.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

nine-gear crow posted:

Every part about Star Trek ruins some other part about Star Trek that came before it. You want a have a field day going bonkers about stuff? Watch TOS all the way through and pay attention to how many times the show contradicts itself.

It's the societal allegory show, and you gently caress that up with trying to have continuity.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Lizard Combatant posted:

Agreed. I wanna know what he's been doing for 20 years, poo poo I'd watch that show.

Itd probably be a Hugh-ge disappointment.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Eiba posted:

Well this is the best Star Trek since DS9.

Though I realize that's kind of faint praise, I really do like this! I'm really digging all this explicit Romulan worldbuilding.

This was all very good and explains better than I could the "Hey yeah cool" im feeling with this version of Star Trek.

Thank you for using the good words.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I just refuse to believe the future is so loving gaudy.

Say what you want about future space utopia having shades of grey but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck freecloud.

Looked like Reno took a poo poo that poo poo evolved into a sentient poo poo being and then took another poo poo.

Also how do those ads work for normal people? Does everyone just have a holodeck/replicator/whatever the gently caress it is bridge?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Snow Cone Capone posted:

"a shitload of holograms and flashing lights" is like, the default setting for "futuristic cityscapes" though

Yeah but a show that used like 99% matte paintings until just a few years ago its quite the aesthetic side step.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA7OTFp_kDI

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Wow these xB's really need someone to mentor them and steer them through life because everyone hates them. Well time to gently caress off I guess!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yejAOxQkOWk May be relevant to you interests.. part 2!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Khanstant posted:

Wow, only 15 minutes into this and it kind of sounds like all the behind the scenes bullcrap with Picard and DISCO are entirely normal and on brand for trek production.

Yeah really puts into perspective how Star Trek was always a trashfire.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

nine-gear crow posted:

It comes with Unlimited Data :buddy:

Ugh, this pun was the worst thing to come out of Star Trek.

It's not mod sass because you know it to be true.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hey remember when Dr. Agnes Jurati murdered Dr. Maddox in cold blood. Glad that got resolved satisfactorily.

IDK the head of Starfleet security comes to you and does a mind gently caress mind meld and then ends up being a traitor leading a fleet of romulan warbirds to destroy a planet.

Something tells me they aren't going to throw the book at her.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

piratepilates posted:

yeah definitely on some of the harder footage to source. the use of the other stock footage in the admonition is like the rest of the show -- questionable, cheap looking, bland, and forgettable aside from the trek namesake.

I mean, it WOULD explain why that lady shot herself.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Thom12255 posted:

I know Anson has got to be thrilled about this but lol he's really subdued in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD6kUZwMOjQ

"I can't wait to put on that gold uniform and deliver number one"

Come on Rebecca now you are just loving with us.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Give Bryan Fuller a second shot.

It'll be funny.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You could have made an entire series set on a slowly reclaimed Borg cube. The tension between the Romulan overseers and the Federation scientists, the mystery of the mad Romulan XB that Knows Weird Stuff, Hugh's struggle with being back in a borg environment, the motives of the Secret Romulan organisation... there's a lot there!

There was 6 good shows in Picard and it danced around loving all of them

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Star Trek is basically wrestling, its fans expect so much more without a hint as to why or how.

The only narratively successful version (DS9) was only successful because no one was paying attention.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
That red letter media top 5 TNGs show is much more engaging when they actually like poo poo.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Astroman posted:

"Computer, what is the nature of the universe?"

"The universe is a carpeted region 705 metres in diameter."

"Computer, what type of carpet"

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Remember that episode of DS9 where Odo goes back to get judged by his people in the big massive goo lake.

It cuts to Sisko and Bashir and Bashir is about to skip a stone over the lake and Sisko is like WTF.

That was one of the funniest normal trek scenes.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
For any plothole in voyager just say Q did it.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Hi,

The show isn't bad, it could be better, but I don't feel like I wasted my time watching it. I even laughed a couple of times.

Doesn't require a diatribe on narrative dissonance to enjoy, its a low effort cartoon on a streaming service looking for properties and it seems like its handled with love unlike the current show runners of picard etc who just want to make things space 24.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk there is your wendy's orders under your seats please pull ahead.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

nine-gear crow posted:

But how will the world get by with out knowing how absolutely enraged I am about Star Trek though? :(

It's got bigger things to deal with at the moment...

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

If you would like to quote this post!

If you already have three gang tags, tell me which one you'd like to lose. If you don't want to lose any proceed w/ your own caution. The limit of gang tags is nebulous and you may get them axed by another mod or admin if they find your av/tag/text combo too excessive.

If you want your current tags rearranged or your text changed, I can do that as well.

I apologize ahead of time for the spam this might cause. It's just easier for me to organize and make sure I don't miss anybody! Feel free to quote me in your regular-rear end discussion posts if you were already going to say smth so we can keep this at least kind of neat.

thx in advance

Bij sounds like it would be phonetically similar to beej and that's funny to me.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Martytoof posted:

Just rewatched it — did anyone mention how the tablet of honor or whatever that everything was supposed to be inscribed on looks like it’s written in cuneiform?

:lol: “You only paid for twenty two minutes”

Best part of that.. said it at 22 minutes into the episode.

Anyways, this is a fun show and thats all it needs to be.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Tbf I also thought it was the British meat product...

Like I knew it wasnt the intent just really unfortunate that it could be interpreted that way.

Anyway that episode was fun. I laughed when he got takcled and someone screamed something in the background.

Give nerds more low stakes shows please.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The Star Trek thread is positive?!

Anyways yeah, that was paced so well and hit almost all of its marks, to be that confident 10 eps in is crazy.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

plainswalker75 posted:

The little stick-figure buddies on the door! :swoon:

Ediit:

Tiz another gang tag if I ever saw one.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
This is why the fan theory of the Borg farming humanity for it's technology is a thing.

Guinan's species gets a fleet of Borg cubes and earth gets like 1?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Where my el-Aurians tv show?

Come on paramount.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Boy them locations sure are pretty.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

The Bloop posted:

PREDICTION THAT YOU WILL ALL HATE

The Burn is actualy a V'Ger-ization over time of the real cause of the problem. Burnham. Because Michael Burnham is the alpha and omega. She caused it and she alone can solve it.

Adventures of the universe's most special girl!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

HD DAD posted:

It will still be Michael Burnham, who will be represented by a holo-photo that Spock consults for every major decision on the show.

Michael Burnham presents - Star Trek

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Still going through the second episode but drat this had some good shots.

Also I missed Doug Jones.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 23, 2020

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Cojawfee posted:

It started out kind of annoyingly slow but it really picked up and became pretty nice. When those guys showed up, I figured they had to be humans. Those helmets were dumb as hell.

Those helmets were rad as hell

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Technological inconsistency is kind of baked into Star Trek.

Why is this an argument?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Just watched latest discovery episode.

Gray seems nice... Like instant legitimate chill vibes. Very good job by their actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

MikeJF posted:

(Although as lower decks showed us, having the warp nacelle smashed up as you warp is not going to end well either way)

https://i.imgur.com/6ph2MwC.mp4

That was one of the coolest visuals Star Trek produced in like 20 years.