Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Payndz posted:

I've been of the firm opinion that Akiva Goldsman is a terrible, terrible writer since the frickin' Nineties, and nothing with his name on it that I've seen has ever been any good. Yet somehow he keeps getting high-profile, highly-paid work in Hollywood.

Yeah, ever since I've been into film discussion as a teenager Goldsman has been a widely accepted hack and the savvy have known that him getting attached to a project is a death knell for its quality. But unfortunately for us, people are successful in Hollywood if they're easy to work with, deliver on time and under budget, don't push back on executive notes, and ultimately make profitable content.

Quality of end product isn't really a factor—Hollywood is a business first and foremost. One could argue that they have to be careful about damaging the brand long-term, but Trek fans have shown themselves to roll with the punches well at pretty much every turn.

They're still in charge of Trek because fans are paying for CBS All Access and talking passionately about Star Trek on social media. They'll only care that you don't like it when you stop engaging. And if you're posting in this thread, well...

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Honestly, that's an optimistic view. It'll be about some dark secret at the heart of Starfleet and will make everyone hate the OS characters due to incredibly melodramatic and off-model takes on their characters.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I still like to hope that sometime in the next few decades Ron Moore is given another shot.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Now these are some ideas I can get behind.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Somehow I missed this and didn't see those details reported elsewhere. I am choosing to blindly believe that everything will be exactly as I hope despite the creative team, franchise history, and all other evidence to the contrary. I will only stop doing so post-quarantine, at which point my shriveled heart will no longer require Good Things to hold on to and I will at that point switch back to being a cynical jerk about it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can't wait til Kurtzman and Goldsman write a Q story and turn it into a dour melodrama.

Though if Q has to be brought in ala Mudd, who be a great re-cast? Other than just continuing to use John de Lancie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Absofuckinglutely. Assuming he still has decent acting chops. Has he been active at all?

Sounds like he works for the UN and has no interest in acting from some interview I found.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
AI-agumentation is way more likely to happen and is infinitely more interesting. As soon as you can jam a new RAM chip equivalent into your brain and have a neural network perform menial thinking tasks and have all the internet's information a picosecond away you stop thinking at human speeds. An hour is functionally an eternity if you can do a lifetime's worth of thinking in that span. And if that's the case, then you no longer think or act like a human traditionally would and become post-human.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Your grandkids are going to tease you relentlessly for that position.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Having to sit alone with my own thoughts for the past 3 months is madness-inducing enough. A million years of the same would not be good for my mental health.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You know what's zero-risk if you can't die? massive amounts of mind-altering chemicals :catdrugs:

Clearly you don't realize how much weed I've smoked in quarantine.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Do you really think Kurtzman and Goldsman need studio pressure to make something flashy, action-oriented, and melodramatic?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It is kind of weird how hard they pushed the dog and the vineyard - I think that's like 99% of what we saw before the show actually aired.

You gotta push the most fan-service-y footage beforehand to assure your viewers that they're about to get what they want! Regardless of reality.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yes, it doesn't matter what creatives you have attached to a project, in the end it's totally random whether or not any given production will turn out to be good or bad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I've worked on projects that were lovely for all kinds of reasons that had nothing to do with the talent level of the people that received the blame.

Same. But I've never worked on any projects which succeeded with incompetent leadership. Goldsman and Kurtzman have laughable track records.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

pyrotek posted:

Is there even a trailer for Lower Decks?

Yep, right here.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Its animated in trailer that there is a lower rear section (rear end) where the 'lower decks' are.

Trailer :confused:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'll give it a shot, even though I'm not at all sold by the trailer. Comedy trailers are tough, where your jokes aren't in context and are probably cut apart and the viewer doesn't know the characters' personalities.

That being said, I was surprised at how dramatically ambitious it looked. Maybe I was just worried it would have a wacky Robot Chicken vibe or something, but I do see some promise in that it looks very story focused and emphasizes the relationships between the characters.

The humor as shown didn't come off great, but I think that based on that trailer the show's got a chance of being enjoyable, and I'm not willing to write off the comedy quite yet.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, it might just be the eternal optimist in me, but I'm also willing to bet that this trailer was made to attract a specific crowd and it ain't Trek nerds.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, the scripts were a joke :v:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Clearly we just need to wait for the next horrible Star Trek thing to make us appreciate that [insert newest Star Trek here] isn't the worst thing they've ever done, is what I'm hearing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd think the canon is a square/rectangle situation—the events of Lower Decks aren't true for the rest of Trek, but the events of the rest of Trek are true for Lower Decks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Drunk in Space posted:

Tbh, it seems that Stewart was pushing for that kind of thing a lot earlier than people realize. I rewatched TNG recently while also checking out the background info for various episodes on Memory Alpha. The one for 'Captain's Holiday' (The Risa Indiana Jones ep) specifically states that the story came about because Stewart wanted more sex and action for Picard. Guy would've been Kirking it up way more early on if he'd had the creative control he has now.

Any excuse to repost this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_cwI1Xj4M

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I want this Trek back :smith:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DaveKap posted:

But seriously at this point I'd rather watch a Q show than a Picard show.

:lol: at anyone who wanted a Picard show in the first place over a show about Q and Vash odd-coupling around the Gamma quadrant together robbing planets blind of their important religious and cultural artifacts.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Star Trek only caught on in the first place because it was for manchildren who read science-fiction pulp magazines and related to Spock's inability to understand emotion.

Prodigy I can easily ignore, Lower Decks I think looks cute and I'll give it a chance, Discovery season 3 has promise with jumping ahead in time and I'll give it a shot for that, Strange New Worlds has a great cast and a great premise, and Picard, well, I can continue to not give a poo poo. From where I'm sitting, that's a better spot than we were in a few years back.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well yeah, it was made by people who actually like Star Trek.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Welp, I'll take that flag as a confirmation that the story is going to be the exact bleak collapse-of-civilization nonsense we all expected. Oh well, nowhere to go but up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

The only thing that might be superior to 31st century tech is the spore drive ~hope~

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Let's all just go ahead and lower our expectations about them doing anything interesting with the premise. Gonna save a lot of heartbreak.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was itching to cancel it by the end of the first episode.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Review for the first couple episodes of Lower Decks. Sounds like it's a fun, funny show that apes TNG as much as possible and leans hard into references and deep-cuts to the point where it might eventually get exhausting. But sounds promising, at the very least.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
For how many Trek ship nerds are out there, I was really surprised to hear on a Trek YouTube channel just how few models actually have licensed toys. It seems like if you're going to cater to the base, really cater to them. Are 3D printers just killing that segment of the market?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I really feel like this might have the potential to be actually quite good once they get past that.

Get this optimism for the future out of my Star Trek thread!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

That was far better than I ever expected. Far more fun than a season of Picard. TNG design elements are timeless and it's insane they've been abandoned in the live-action show.

Iconic, sure. But timeless? I enjoy it and would love to see a natural evolution of it, but TNG has a very dated 90s aesthetic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can't imagine the show won't explore that at some point. "You think we have it bad?"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Alright, finally watched it.

I really enjoyed it, though definitely agree about being a touch bothered by characters acting like cartoons instead of people, like in the bar when Eugene Cordero and his date decide to keep casually chatting while their fellow crew members are turning into monsters in the middle of a chaotic outbreak. I mean of course they are cartoons, I get it, but it definitely feels like it breaks the reality a bit. Still, a minor complaint on the whole.

Overall I thought it was a real fun time and I care far more about having an enjoyable fun show than whether it fits in with the other shows.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I only caught a few seconds of the preview for the rest of the season, but it looks like the Klingons are the pre-Disco design, so I'd imagine nobody's going to get too visually changed. But Ferengi in this show have a ton of potential for sure.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Martytoof posted:

It feels good to... feel good :ohdear:

How will my optimism be crushed this time?

Deadline: Following Positive Fan Reactions, Alex Kurtzman Takes Over as Showrunner for Lower Decks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Should've been an episode where her DNA was rewritten by a gaseous alien being.