Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I liked all the stuff that wasn't action because 1999 called and The Matrix wants to know why in the world you would ever think it was a good idea to "film" (it's pure cg) this shot from this angle (trimmed for space):
https://i.imgur.com/VsrVqeh.gifv

Also:

Despite what happened at the end Generations, someone actually recognized the importance of the Kurlan Naiskos and made sure it was the centerpiece at Picard's treasure trove. (It's in the back there. Kinda out of focus.)

Finally, I hope this guy dies a horrible death by the close of this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

quote:

Second, if the producers had supplied a first episode that was nothing but action
Who the gently caress wanted nothing but action?!
(A bad reviewer, that's who.)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 26, 2020

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

I like rlm more than most here and yeah that Picard review was poo poo. Rich Evans deciding that the Romulan were building the Borg cube (??!?) and Mike saying he did t know what was going on at all. Both of them claim to be big fans. They desperately want Star Trek to just be tng again. Forever. Never anything new. New cinematography? Bad. Better sets? Bad. People acting like humans and not weird roddenbury pretend humans? Bad. Fight choreography? Bad. I get it. We all want 30 years of our lives back. To go back to the 90’s. But they wallow in it unashamedly. This isn’t my Star Trek when I was thinner and had more hair!
Their Star Trek cred died when Mike didn't like The Orville because "it was too much like TNG." What the gently caress? It's exactly what he wants and he won't watch it. They are, otherwise, fun to watch.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Posting because relevant to discussion:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

"I didn't know Romulans could be so hot."
Pause for laughter.
"Me either."
Pause for further laughter and applause.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 3, 2020

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

There you go, fill it out yourself.
On behalf of myself and my friends, thank you so much for this.

This is honestly who I thought I saw at first and it really doesn't help anything.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Whole lotta people real angry over some crooked teeth
One person making a joke about a dude's awful grooming turns into a lot of people being angry over crooked teeth.

This is the worst game of telephone ever.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiBLgEx6svA

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Part of the core premise of Star Trek's setting is that for "us," little peoples on Earth, had grown beyond the social problems of capitalist caste systems. Rafi loses her job because of some military bureaucratic politics fuckery. That sucks, but doesn't break Trek. She's really pissed at Picard for kind of running away and leaving her in his wake, and then never visiting her in the intervening time is a real dick move, so that alone could explain a lot of her bitterness towards him. They made it a point, however, to show that losing her job left her in living conditions she felt were humiliating, while highlighting the extravagance of Picard's estate. That, plus the whole "grunt workers get poo poo replicator food for no reason besides dystopia" is really painting Federation life and values of the people as different than in JL's old show. They are deliberately showing that the Trek world is grittier and and less humane than all those times when Picard gives a speech about humanity and the federation.
Yes to all of this and also they've already shown that 30 years prior, ships were built in space, not on planets. So not only are there deep, systemic contradictions happening in this new show, there are shallow, obvious contradictions as well.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Timby posted:

I am not entirely sure I like the idea of taking three episodes of a ten-episode season in order to finally get things loving moving.
The show is a reflection of the character it portrays. It takes Jean Luc 3 hours to get out of bed for his old-man 10 hour day before he goes back to sleep again, so too will the show.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So because of this thread, I watched a video. This video. With a timestamp for a joke at the end!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIij0XO9_Ek&t=581s
Oh wait, why is that joke so familiar?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi5mj6-CUiY&t=490s
Ha!
I'm not making any points here. I don't think the joke is stolen, I'm just amused that I remembered it from a different video.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Y'know what gets my goat about this show?

https://i.imgur.com/d1OFHws.mp4

This was supposed to be a powerful moment. Patrick Stewart thought it was a powerful moment. Alex Kurtzman thought it was a powerful moment. Maybe a few people on set even agreed, this is a powerful moment.

But all it made me do was laugh.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

piratepilates posted:

When did Alex Kurtzman call that a powerful moment?
I didn't put the word "probably" before "thought" because it's implied through common sense that I don't literally know the thoughts of Alex Kurtzman on the set of Picard.
But for your sake, a correction.
Alex Kurtzman probably thought that was a powerful moment. Same goes for Patrick Stewart and anyone else on set.

Gonz posted:

Ah yes, Jean-Luc Picard: Famed barfighter and stirrer of poo poo.
This is why I laughed. The show needed Picard, an old man who knows he's an old man, to get into trouble so that he could either be saved by a new hero or die a martyr. Which, if you consider some TNG episodes, he'd love to be!

Honestly I kinda feel like Picard has a death wish. But everything he does just feels like a grumpy old man being grumpy and old, so it comes off as comical. It doesn't help that everyone he talks to overreacts ala the melodrama that recent youtube video pointed out.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 15, 2020

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I mean...Picard has always been a man of deeply held principles. The kind of guy who literally can't just stand aside and ignore something as clearly wrong as segregation and discrimination. And he clearly didn't want to physically fight, as evidenced by his repeated attempts to defuse the situation with dialogue.
Sure but he also knows how to read a situation. I'm not a trek expert and haven't watched TNG in a while but my memory is telling me he'd typically have a trick up his sleeve if he was doing something that seemed suicidal. Alternately, whoever he was up against in TNG would either listen to reason, be convinced, or get tricked in whatever way Picard had planned. Not... end up decapitated.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I somewhat enjoyed The Adventures of Michael Burnham and her Coworkers.

Which is what it should have been called from the beginning.
Disco got real good when it took a break from the useless overarching plot and had episodic episodes. Everything else was trash, though. :(

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Is anyone mad about the fact they didn't cast Maddox as the original actor, who was such a Trek nerd he made a theatrical musical at the university he works at and definitely wouldn't be the type of person to turn the role down?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Isometric Bacon posted:

The general shrouding and mystery around him makes me think we aren't going to actually meet him in this series, and it will turn out he's already dead or some other person or being has been impersonating him or something. That or he won't be cast till a later season.

Otherwise I feel we would have seen him already.
Spoiler if you avoid the "next episode" stuff. He's in the post-episode "next time, on Picard" and it's some dude who looks like Fidel Castro.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 18, 2020

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

God the show would've been so much better if they dropped the romance plot and replaced Soji with Riker's kid who appears to be an incredibly talented actress who should be in the rest of this show. Did anyone notice that they hinted at Riker still being "on call" so he could end up in space at any time? These show runners are loving laying bait wherever they can, when you consider Data hasn't shown up since the pilot.

It's a bit bothersome that neither Dahj nor Soji did the Data head-turn until the 1 scene when she needed to do it so Riker could guess that she's Data's progeny. Also why did Soji ask Troi how to eat a tomato? Just because she ate replicator food doesn't mean she shouldn't know how to bite into a tomato. Really not enjoying that the music is trying its hardest to tell you how you should feel so a stupid line like "You have a homeworld!" gets propped up as important when it just really sounded kinda dumb? Like, duh, she didn't just poof into existence from nowhere. Of course she has a homeworld.

Anyway, now I want a show entirely about Riker's family because they're immediately more interesting than the rest of this plot, even with the useless faux drama involving the dead son. Also the violent puking twice in one episode, one of which was red like blood, was extremely unnecessary. What the gently caress is wrong with these show runners? Also the holodoctor is annoyingly useless.

This show is way too easy to pick apart. :( I'm still just watching out of self-imposed obligation to honor Patrick Stewart. Looking forward to the next episode's special effects, though! They look fun!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I'm familiar with you from Mr Robot final season and I'm enjoying this show but it must be torture for you! This post was also uncharacteristically brief and I'm guessing the filmography isn't anything to worth writing home about since you didn't mention any of it!
It's not torture because the show was never drop-dead amazing in the first place. It's actually entertaining because I go in wondering what dumb poo poo they'll do next! I could go on and on about how half the show is just faux drama trying to copy what much better television has done but there's no reason to bother. Most people already think Kurtzman is a hack and the show just continues to prove it, no need for me to argue against trusting the showrunner.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

But Michael Chabon is the showrunner
This is me flippantly throwing the word showrunner around as whatever it is Kurtzman does since everyone blames him anyway.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Are we sure that isn't the same cabin from generations? I swear the kitchen Riker cooked in was the same one Shatner was in.
I don't know if it's the same one but when you consider Riker was always TNG's version of Kirk, it's sorta like "go figure he also wants to live that rustic life."

FlamingLiberal posted:

I had a thought...what if Commodore Cool implanted false memories into the Doctor?
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned in the thread but I've heard that Picard is supposed to connect to Discovery in some way so it's more likely she has witnessed (or had memories passed down to her) what the Discovery AI ends up doing to the galaxy.

Before I heard about that I also thought maybe she was implanting false memories but it seemed "this show couldn't possibly do the whole implant memories thing twice could it?" when you consider Dahj/Soji memory implants.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 6, 2020

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Okay I did a search for the word monkey in the past 4 pages and saw nothing.

Thread... why does the warp engine of the main space ship make a monkey noise?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

He grew up in Alaska and they also specifically said they went to live on that planet because they thought it might help their son’s condition
Yeah, that's the in-lore reason. I was giving my real-world hand-wavy supposition for why they'd write the show towards it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

The Mudd episode from Season 1 is still the best episode of Discovery and I eagerly await the day they try to top it.

I think it's a decent show but there are too many small things that you can easily point out as "stupid," too much drama that fails to invest the audience enough to nail the landing, and poorly planned long-term plotting that tries to make the show seem like it's prestige television when it's really not.

Plus they killed off the best actor and character in the show at the end of season 1 and, despite leaving an opening to bring him back, didn't.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

In the latest episode of Westworld, a show full of horrible gore and nudity and cursing up and down, they cut away from an android before they shoot themselves in the head.

And all I could think was "somehow Westworld has more sense in how to film a self-inflicted gunshot wound than Picard."

It's not a nitpick, it's just... weird.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 25, 2020

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

In that one episode, why did the ship make monkey sounds when it warped?

What do you think the other 4 or more planetary sterilization patterns look like?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 27, 2020

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Ugh, I know. As soon as I saw that shot I was like "welp they hosed that up pretty good." I think the ships would have to be the size of a small moon to be seen at that distance through a livable atmosphere. But who knows, maybe the planet is super extra tiny? The circle they used to designate where the androids live (which is 1 building) was the size of Texas so...

I kinda love (hate) that there are 200 Romulan ships in the sky but we only see 1 Romulan the entire time and she's the only person on her bridge. But we see Riker and there's at least 2 other people nearby.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Brute Squad posted:

Discovery has the best looking original Enterprise of the modern era.
Pretty much. Yes. And it does what I've always wanted the saucer sections to do: spin!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I think Chabon said on insta that the all-similar-ships fleet was part of a big rush rebuild-the-fleet thing of cranking out mass produced midsize ships after the Dominion wiped out like two thirds of Starfleet, but to be fair he uses the Dominion War as an excuse for a lot of changes in Picard considering it's never mentioned.
This Chabon guy is better at writing excuses than writing episodes of Star Trek.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

I thought the book fan consensus was that the book S4 adapted is one of the weakest and it's uphill from here again.
I've heard the same thing from multiple book-reading sources. Apparently "if they adapt S5 it's going to take a lot of budget." So... looking forward to S5!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Simiain posted:

I'm halfway thru season 2 of The Expanse
The show is phenomenal and you are at one of the peaks of the show as a whole (there are a few, I refuse to say the show gets "better or worse" at any point so as not to spoil you) so that comparison is, actually, very harsh against Picard. You're using an all-time best moment in television that was written for an RPG campaign -> novel with more time, effort, and quality than Picard was ever given the chance to have. I don't think a good version of Picard could have been comparable due to the sheer amount of lead-up work that Expanse moment had behind it.

But yes everyone here should watch The Expanse.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

The Lower Decks trailer feels like Rick and Morty for 12 year olds. Everyone seems to act like they're in high school and can't wait to pop out a Dreamworks smirk. I'll give it a chance but that trailer is trash.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Strong Convections posted:

*Patrick Stewart quits because that's not his vision at all*
*CBS sues you because they lost the one draw the series had*
Huh? Did John de Lancie quit?

But seriously at this point I'd rather watch a Q show than a Picard show.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I did marketing for 2 years and it's a minimum wage job at best. Never pay marketers more than any other job in your company.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

The biggest laugh it got out of me was in the opening, when the Romulans are all fighting the Borg and the Cerritas comes across it and is like.... nah, I'm out.

The worst part was honestly all the name dropping at the end. There's zero reason anyone should be dropping ToS and TNG names in-canon like that, especially when they just gave a speech about how officers are all lame.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

If these guys are the lowest-tier grunts and they work in the bottom of the saucer, I feel really bad for whoever's stuck in the bit between the warp nacelles.
I thought that was the battle bridge though?

G-III posted:

It was also better than STD and Picard.
Yeah it very quickly cemented that position for me... which means I'll probably keep watching it. I just hope the drunk/hyperactive character calms the gently caress down.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I will never not guffaw at the Cerritos just NOPEing out of that Borg battle in the credits :lmao:
I'm basically going to rate every episode on how many times the episode makes me laugh harder than the opening credits. The pilot scored a 1.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Alchenar posted:

This was a Star Trek episode that had a well structured story with a moral lesson, well defined characters, and a good musical score. How long has it been since the last one of those and why are people complaining?
Just because you have the foundations for a good show doesn't mean the dialog writers know how to execute on it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Stamets when he was happy, arrogant, elitist, and snippy was the best Stamets. Everything went downhill for that character when his husband died and never got better when his husband came back.

Give me my rear end in a top hat Stamets back. gently caress, same for Tilly. I want mirror universe Tilly and pretending-to-be mirror universe Tilly to just be main characters on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

Apologies for the meme but this pretty well sums up the piracy zeitgeist in my experience:

LOL is anyone pirating YouTube Red shows? Is it even called YouTube Red anymore?