Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Drone posted:

The Enterprise had two captains before Kirk.

Who was the other one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TNG is about half good and half bad episodes, DS9 gets that ratio up to 75%

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like Discovery, it has good and bad parts, as do all STs. Enterprise season 4 is not good, none of Enterprise is. Archer absolute worst captain hands down.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Make Jeffery Combs the captain of the Discovery. Not a character, a future clone of Jeffery Combs. Every ship movie night is Reanimator.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe if they hadn't made a bunch of bullshit prequel crap this wouldn't be an issue. I have no idea why they've only every decided to go backwards after DS9

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

marktheando posted:

There was an all-Vulcan crew federation ship in TOS, they all joined starfleet after Spock?

This was apparently a thing. There's an all-Vulcan crew in one of the DS9 episodes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Croatoan posted:

For anyone that wanna say there's been no good star trek since TNG please go watch the two part season finale + season opener Time's Arrow. What a dog turd. The Mark Twain character sucked in the 90s and sucks even harder now.

Season 7 was, in fact, among the worst seasons of the whole show. This is a mild take.

Here's a hot one: All Good Things is overrated :twisted:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Season 7 had Crusher fucks a ghost and Barclay Devolves into a Spider

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IMO all of Discos problems start and stop with Michael Burnham.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think a good idea for a post DS9 series would be along the lines of that one two-parter where the Defiant fought that souped up Excelsior-class. Basically in the wake of the Dominion War you have two emergent factions, one that believes that the increased militarism in the Federation post Wolf 359 led Starfleet (Defiant, Akira, Sovereign, etc classes were all designed as anti-Borg warships) inexorably to conflict, and that the Federation should return to its entirely peaceful roots. The other faction recognizes that the Federation gets its rear end whooped in every space war and wants to increase militarism while the Federation remains the dominant power in the AB quadrants and establish a permanent hegemony. The Romulans are done, the Klingons are a paper targ, who is even a threat to the Federation anymore, the Breen? The Sheliak Corporate? Drunk Kevin Uxbridge?

So good conflict would have to be intra-Federation and fighting over the very soul of the Fed (and meta-ly the ST franchise and vision of the future) is to me an interesting idea.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

The guy who loved his time on the show so much that he quit before season 2 was even announced.

Well he's not going to be the showrunner for season 2, but he's remaining on as EP. Also he's leaving to run Kavalier and Klay on CBS, which, you know, understandable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

Yeah, even Bryan Fuller still has an EP credit on Discovery and he got fired before a single episode was filmed.

Do you have some inside info or something, because everything I'm seeing reported says this was about him running the show for the book he wrote (after signing an overall production deal with CBS).

Also Kavalier and Clay is going to be on Showtime not CBS, my mistake.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The first 2 seasons of Discovery are better than the first two seasons of TNG and DS9 easy. It goes without saying it's better than the other three series entirely, not just the first 2 seasons.

If TNG or DS9 had been released in this era, they'd've been cancelled season one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's the retro tech craze that's sweeping the Federation. Everything is orange and red buttons! The uniforms look stupid and are made out of polyester! Flat screens are out, peering into a deal that shows you science words is in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I feel like they were limited in the stories they could tell because of continutiy but hopefully now that that's not a problem anymore, they'll be more free to write. You could do some bonkers poo poo in the far future, what year was the Enterprise, sigh, J supposed to be from

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dunno if this is widely known so I'll put it in spoilers but Hugh is going to be in it. Picard switching into Locutus mode to interrogate Hugh and figure out what's his deal is one of my favorite scenes in TNG, the whole episode is great, classic moral-dilemma Trek so I'm excited to see what he's been up to

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do NOT bring back Vash however please

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gotta keep that dome on gleam

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

marktheando posted:

Personally I'm very excited about the return of The Outrageous Okona.

I want to see the greatest holo-character in ST history come back, no not Moriarty, no not Vic, that's right - Joe Piscopo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Croatoan posted:

I hope Gates McFadden shows up. He's the best twitter follow. She's become a super sweet grandma. Just a month ago she had surgery for a seperated collar bone and posted while high AF on painkillers and it was just the absolute best.

She was the choreographer for Labyrinth

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Oh yeah in the future all star fleet ships get that one-shot-kill phaser cannon"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Obviously the theme should be, well, disco.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I used to hate Guinan as a kid but now as a grown up she's cool. Her borgsplanation ruled.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

Akiva Goldsman

Ugh why did you tell me this

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's cool to see future media, I think we've only seen like Star Trek News Channel stuff in the very beginning of Generations?

One of the things that's missing from all the Star Treks is mass media oh and also everyone just happens to be a connoisseur of 20th century music and TV and movies.

Timby posted:

I winced when I saw Doug Aarniokoski's name in the credits. He directed the cinematic classic Highlander: Endgame.

OK but did you like the episode

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

I thought the Romulans were Vulcans until they started showing emotions. Was I not paying attention or were the forehead ridges that distinguish Romulans from Vulcans gone?

We don't discuss it with outsiders.

e: I never saw Nemesis, is there anything in ep that wouldn't be obvious to someone who hadn't seen it? Though at the beginning I thought they might be setting up another Picard clone story and thought it would be funny if they just cast Tom Hardy in a wig as Dahj

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 23, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Way to invent Cylons Mr. Maddox

Thom12255 posted:

If data can survive the warpcore plamsa melting off his flesh, she'll be fine.

Also, I think the theme is really great - It took a few listens but I can hum it fine now from memory.

It's always bothered me the way Data says "futile"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Basically I don't understand why Jean Luc Picard can't be a real person and also President of these United States

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

So far not one person in this thread has panned this or even said "meh," not even Tighclops. This bodes well.

Also the imdb ratings for episode one dayum...

It's impossible for me to be objective about it because of nostalgia so there's no way I'm not going to like a show with a kind, wise, affirming Picard. It was seriously like seeing a beloved old relative after a number of years and realizing how much you missed them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I will say that, despite the fact that I know he’s 79 years old, this is the first time Patrick Stewart has felt really old to me. He’s been in a kind of dignified late middle aged stasis since Dune in 1984, but now he’s finally showing his age and I’m kind of existentially sad about that.

I think he's playing older than he feels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsA61VvA8cw

That's from yesterday, he seems 10 years younger. I almost want to predict that he'll get "younger" so to speak as he engages in space adventures instead of waiting to die, as he said. (also whoopi confirmed for season 2)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Libertarians, a political ideology whose fundamental tenet is "I am smarter than you", are over-represented in the nerd/geek demographic and so you see more of them in sci fi spaces than you would expect given the actual number of libertarians in the general population.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So the "quantum archive" was that a hologram of the painting or what

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Disappointing to see Picard using non organic pesticides on his vines smh

Timby posted:

Kurtzman said that Picard is 92 when the show starts, so Stewart is definitely playing older.

How old was McCoy supposed to be in Farpoint?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

Kurtzman said that Picard is 92 when the show starts, so Stewart is definitely playing older.

Picard's still in his prime!

Harry Treadaway is entirely too British.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bruce Maddox everyone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJF-IRbTh0Q

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I liked the Golden Gate Bridge turned into a solar farm.

Masses of flying cars? Is that from the JJ Trek movies? Why when you have transporters.

No synthectics, but isn't that AI assistant the same thing with no body? You'd think they'd outlaw all AI as an "evil" AI in computers could do more damage than robots running around.

I mean, the Enterprise computer, for example, was obviously an AI (and even developed full sentience in an season 7 episode) so I think it's kind of the difference between strong and weak AI

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also stuff is always gaining sentience, Vger, the exocomps, the computer, Nomad, etc. If your replicator ever asks why it exists you have to immediately phaser it.

ashpanash posted:

If I had to come up with an explanation, that would be it. All of your belongings are stored as transporter pattern in computer memory and can be reconstituted as a hologram for you to view if you are at the archives. And they can be withdrawn from memory (which would remove the transporter pattern from memory, because something something transporter buffers. And I'd make up some line like how it uses a modified version of Montgomery Scott's buffer switch feature as a little nod. And, let's say, it can't do living things because of what happened to Franklin (he deserved better) so you can't store people inside it, DS9's spy episode notwithstanding. Maybe it CAN store humans but it's ethically frowned upon because of the chance for degradation. That would leave it open as a "gently caress it, we have no other choice" option but still make it hard to do.

It's some huge deal, to me, I couldn't tell if it was like a holoarchive entirely, if it was set apart specifically because Picard is a famous officer or if everyone gets a cubicle for their junk or what.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why would anyone on earth shop at a ferengi establishment

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

Baller fashion?

Why for that matter would Ferengi set up shop on a post-scarcity planet with no money. They're after the secret of Root Beer is why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe Rom’s reforms worked and now it’s Hip To Be Ferengi

There is a spectre haunting the Alpha Quadrant, the spectre of Rommunism