Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hazo posted:

Wasn't it not even subtly or creatively named, and it was literally called like THE GUN OF CONTROL or something?

Courtship was the first Star Wars novel I ever read and it really instilled in me at a very young age how loving weird the Star Wars EU was

Writing genre fiction is a great way to jam your weird fetishes in there and no one will ever care or remember outside of like, this thread or YouTube deep dives.

Then again I think today making the villain of your tentpole book/video game launch be a serial rapist with a sexbot might attract more attention than in the 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Rapey vibes are apparently in there because Dave Wolverton loosely based the story on Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, which itself traces back to an incident in Roman mythology called The Rape of the Sabine Women. I don't know if the mythological aspect was intended, but the audiobook version of CoPL pronounces Hapes to rhyme with Hades, so it could be an attempt to frame Leia as Persephone.

That being said, Dave Wolverton was apparently one of Stephanie Meyer's mentors, so maybe not the best legacy when it comes to romantic stories in general.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my favorite Old Star Wars aliens were the Givin, a race of Sad Space Skeleton lookin dudes who evolved to have their organs atmospherically sealed somehow so they could survive in space for a while. They were so good at math their form of "hello" was giving you an equation to solve, and they dressed like warlocks for some reason, probably to gently caress with people because they looked like skeletons

Givin are cool as hell

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hazo posted:

Wasn't it not even subtly or creatively named, and it was literally called like THE GUN OF CONTROL or something?

Courtship was the first Star Wars novel I ever read and it really instilled in me at a very young age how loving weird the Star Wars EU was

its was like THE GUN OF COMAND or something. a loving roofie ray.

Babe Magnet posted:

my favorite Old Star Wars aliens were the Givin, a race of Sad Space Skeleton lookin dudes who evolved to have their organs atmospherically sealed somehow so they could survive in space for a while. They were so good at math their form of "hello" was giving you an equation to solve, and they dressed like warlocks for some reason, probably to gently caress with people because they looked like skeletons

Givin are cool as hell

yeah, i genuinly love the weird old lore about aliens and poo poo. those essential guides kicked so much rear end.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

Givin are cool as hell

drat

that space skeleton rocking the orb

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Naboo Starfighter has to pull off its astromech droid's head in order to get it to fit right, since it's too narrow for R2's "shoulders" to fit.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Naboo Starfighter has to pull off its astromech droid's head in order to get it to fit right, since it's too narrow for R2's "shoulders" to fit.

:aloom:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Grogu will have a lot of space to stretch out then I guess.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Do they have to take off the side panel and stick him in when they're doing the whole hangar heist?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

This was in a ScreenRant video posted about yesterday's new Boba Fett episode and it's been haunting me ever since

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

looks like adam driver to me, what's the problem

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

My God. He really is his father's son.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It does kinda track that Steven Tyler would be a dark lord of the Sith

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i've been hearing some scurrilous slander on a goon podcast recently that han solo both hosed and punched an otter. jeff, buddy, corn horn did the loving. han did the punching. get your corellians straight

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Both of them did both things.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Is Corran Horn just some (I don't have to say white dude, because it's always some white dude) dude's OC? Like how Darth Krayt is some dude's OC?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Fivemarks posted:

Is Corran Horn just some (I don't have to say white dude, because it's always some white dude) dude's OC? Like how Darth Krayt is some dude's OC?

It's Michael Stackpole's Mary Sue.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
coran horan is an elite fighter pilot, a crack shot, a tender lover(big dick), a badass jedi who doesn't play by the rules, a leader of men, and an elite space cop. all of this is established in the text by showing not telling. Sounds like you're just jealous.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Makes sense that they didn't include him in the sequels - Oscar Isaac looks like a sack of poo poo compared to this heartthrob:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
also he's an ex-cop

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I heard he was 16 feet tall and could breath under water for other people.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Big Beef City posted:

I heard he was 16 feet tall and could breath under water for other people.

You're mixed up, that is Jar Jar you're thinking of

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You're mixed up, that is Jar Jar you're thinking of

Jar Jar wasn’t 16 feet tall, that’s a couple of clone generations down the line (Jaaaaar Jaaaaar?).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Robot Style posted:

Makes sense that they didn't include him in the sequels - Oscar Isaac looks like a sack of poo poo compared to this heartthrob:

Blue Collar Sheev

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Robot Style posted:

X-Wings Hauser

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Robot Style posted:

Wait I've pinned it down, this is just Colm Meaney

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
that's literally mike stackpole lol

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

that rare corran pic feels like a deleted scene from wing commander 3

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Stars war

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBiKGc9ZOl4

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So here's a thing a lot of people probably know about if they paid more attention than me, but it's still something weird.

So this is one of the two turrets on the Millennium Falcon.

Here's Luke sitting in the seat for that turret.

And here's some wide shots of the turret room. You can see the passageway that the characters went through to get into the turret.

The turret rooms in the Millennium Falcon are on a separate plane of artificial gravity perpendicular to the gravity in the rest of the ship. You can even see it at the beginning of the scene where Han climbs up to his turret, Luke climbs down to his, and then he steps down from the ladder to get into his seat perpendicular to the ladder. He doesn't buckle himself into his seat or anything, and you can sorta see Luke and Han talking like they're just seated behind eachother. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSvPxNopdHs

The design seems to imply that the Falcon's guns are really mainly good at firing up and down and aren't great at shooting along the horizontal plane of the ship. They can't shoot straight forward or back. Makes it seem less like an offensive weapon and more like it's meant to defend and discourage against things approaching from the ship's widest axes where it presents the largest target. Those are the ship's only guns too. The ship is ill-suited towards being a dedicated warship.

It's a really interesting way of designing the ship, and I don't think I've seen any other ship use the trick of shifting its plane of gravity between rooms. It's also a nice trick that probably makes the scene a lot more visually readable.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you've gotta feel bad for the 4 tie pilots set up to die in that scene since the falcon was allowed to escape to sneak a tracker into the rebel base in the first place

"hey guys, why don't you go chase that freighter" "uhhh commander why isn't the rest of the squadron coming?" "don't worry about it you'll be fine"

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There was also an early idea (later implemented for the B-Wing) that the Falcon's cockpit would be able to rotate, with the pilots remaining stationary while the rest of the ship moved around it, so there would probably be a bunch of different areas of the ship with different gravity. I don't know whether or not that was an intentional design element though.

There was also a piece of Ralph McQuarrie art that had the Falcon's windowed turrets on the sides of the ship:

And the third draft script (which was used for casting) also specifies that:

Star Wars, Third Draft posted:

Luke settles into one of the two main laser cannons mounted in large rotating turrets on either side of the ship.

While the public version of the Fourth Draft (which was based on the shooting script) changes the wording slightly to match the updated design:

Star Wars, Fourth Draft posted:

Luke climbs down the ladder into the gunport cockpit, settling into one of the two main laser cannons mounted in large rotating turrets on either side of the ship.

So it's possible that the turrets were originally just supposed to have "normal" gravity it was just handwaved when the design was changed, but the long Falcon design lasted far enough into production that they created a filming model for it (eventually retooled into the Blockade Runner), and it clearly has the dorsal and ventral turrets we're familiar with:

Also, while looking for images of the old versions of the ship, I came across a prototype Kenner toy from around 1984 that would have acted as a cargo vessel that fit between the Falcon's mandibles - 30 years before Solo added something similar to Lando's version of the ship:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I've always felt that original design matched the Falcon's reputation as a crazy-fast hot rod better than the design it ended up with.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Consider this of the Millennium Falcon:

It’s literally a flying saucer with spoilers and poo poo added onto it.

I never noticed until I read that somewhere and I think it’s much more distinctive that a phallic ‘normal’ spaceship.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the blockade runner design looks like a lot of spaceships from that period. i can see why they didn't go with it, in the end.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought of it a little like the Millennium Falcon is a flying saucer with its shape tweaked to be more rocket-like (along with some other weird bits).

As opposed to the starship Enterprise, which was a flying saucer stuck onto the end of a rocket.

Cease to Hope posted:

the blockade runner design looks like a lot of spaceships from that period. i can see why they didn't go with it, in the end.

That was the main reason, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

SlothfulCobra posted:

That was the main reason, yes.

You can even see a model of that ship below the Falcon in the picture!