Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

alexandriao posted:

Babylon 5 takes so long to take off

Heh yeah... much like Moya in season 1 episode 2 "I, E.T." *laughs nerdishly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Been slowly rewatching Farscape recently and it holds up but man seeing it from an adult perspective versus being a teenager catching reruns on Friday night after FNM makes a hell of a difference.

- the Peacekeeper rank and file all having Aussie accents goes a long way in selling them as intergalactic eugenicists, not sure why.
- there is a lot of orientalism in season 1 that I had either overlooked or forgotten. I counted at least 4 episodes where the whole concept is "regressive alien civilization overtly copying Asian culture or imagery", which doesn't go over so well these days. The episode with farlow and the quasi-native American feral dog people bounty hunters was particularly tough to sit through.
- 22 episodes in a season is nearly unfathomable in the media landscape now. imagine trying to condense any season of farscape into a 8-10 episode season on a streaming budget.
- the performances all stand out a lot more, especially Crais, Aeryn, and D'argo. Ben browder's himbo energy makes Crictohn more of a bro then was probably intended but it also helps buttress the vital outsider perspective in the first season.
- it is criminal that Wayne Pygram didn't get more prominent villain roles after this. Scorpius is still the platonic ideal of what a bad guy should be capable of.

Going into season 2 and the jump in not just the plotting but the consistency of characterization is immediately obvious. Definitely a show that never really got it's due.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wayne Pygram is so loving good. Apparently one of them fancy "classically trained" actors which does not surprise me.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

alexandriao posted:

Babylon 5 takes so long to take off that I clearly did not get there.

Coming back just to say, apparently watching The Gathering was exactly what I needed! I'm suckered into B5 now

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mat Cauthon posted:

the quasi-native American feral dog people bounty hunters was particularly tough to sit through.

This strikes me as at least as much of a stretch as people saying Watto from Star Wars is a Jewish stereotype. I mean they have ... long hair? What's the connection supposed to be?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
"Jeremiah Crichton" is a better example imo

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Winifred Madgers posted:

This strikes me as at least as much of a stretch as people saying Watto from Star Wars is a Jewish stereotype. I mean they have ... long hair? What's the connection supposed to be?

There's like a whole internet about Watto being implicitly based on Jewish stereotypes, and apparently there was very literally press about this at the time it came out. The same for, Gungans being based off Jamaican stereotypes, or Nemoidians being based off Japanese stereotypes (to the point of even their speech is based on stereotypical pronunciation of the r/l thing. None of this poo poo was hidden or not noticeable at the time

If you only pick and read one link: https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/racial-ventriloquism/ is a good contemporary (1999) article about the whole "racial stereotypes in star wars" thing that covers both Jar-Jar and Watto and touches on a few others too. Short read. It does go into Watto's stereotype more deeply than a few of the others and will probably answer your question :)

https://jewishcurrents.org/if-you-prick-watto-does-he-not-bleed/ is a modern article, a retrospective on it.

Some more random contemporary mentions of it:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/1999/05/the-merchant-of-menace.html

http://edition.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/Movies/9906/09/jar.jar/

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 25, 2022

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

And the Native American coding on the blood trackers isn't very obtuse either.

https://farscape.fandom.com/wiki/Vorcarian_blood_tracker

They're wearing a variant on a dreamcatcher as a pendant, and the fronts of their outfits have those long beads whose name I don't recall.

Coding is potentially value-neutral, but you do have to be careful how you use it.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

A good twitter thread for once
https://twitter.com/KrisLorischild/status/1494501197696290820

I remember every episode each tweet is referring to.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Winifred Madgers posted:

The hair pipe beadwork, the dreamcatcher thing, etc. It's not exactly subtle.

I'm not castigating the show over it, obviously this sort of referencing of real world cultures still happens all over the place in science fiction but having the feral not very smart dog people aliens coded as indigenous (at least in aesthetic) isn't a good look.

Brute Squad posted:

A good twitter thread for once
https://twitter.com/KrisLorischild/status/1494501197696290820

I remember every episode each tweet is referring to.

I wonder which cast member found the thread. Claudia Black is pretty active on Twitter but I've not seen any of the others around.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Maybe you guys are right about how it's intended or perceived, it just is an alien perspective to me I guess. I was never raised to look at a flying blue alien and think "Jewish"; I don't even look at real people that way. It's pretty far from my mind at most times what "race" people are. I know that's not considered a virtue anymore though.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

if you're blind to race you're blind to injustice

yes when someone makes a hook-nosed alien whose primary traits are being greedy and devious they are playing into jewish stereotypes, whether intentionally or not. Same with Harry Potter and the banking goblins who look like they stepped out of a racist 1920s newsletter

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mat Cauthon posted:

The hair pipe beadwork, the dreamcatcher thing, etc. It's not exactly subtle.

I'm not castigating the show over it, obviously this sort of referencing of real world cultures still happens all over the place in science fiction but having the feral not very smart dog people aliens coded as indigenous (at least in aesthetic) isn't a good look.

I wonder which cast member found the thread. Claudia Black is pretty active on Twitter but I've not seen any of the others around.

https://twitter.com/TheClaudiaBlack/status/1496859821210943488?s=20&t=JeOusWdYea2PwCkjqwKuFw

https://twitter.com/TheClaudiaBlack/status/1496865362440196101?s=20&t=JeOusWdYea2PwCkjqwKuFw

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

funniest poo poo i've seen in my life is the behind the scenes footage of d'argo tonguing people. Without the CGI it's just him going "AHHHH" and making a scary face and the other actor falling down

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

funniest poo poo i've seen in my life is the behind the scenes footage of d'argo tonguing people. Without the CGI it's just him going "AHHHH" and making a scary face and the other actor falling down

lol is this online?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

alnilam posted:

lol is this online?

there are blooper reels on youtube
glorious 240x200 quality and spoilers obv

edit: I think it's all one mishmash of every season as well

i think this one is mostly okay except for some 'crisis of the week' revealshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGI-LNudgs0

double nine fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 3, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My god i love this show. Just randomly rewatched that episode where Rygel gets the explosive piss, and everyone has to rebell against the hippie fascist state, and everyone is just super chill with having been oppressed by the slightly Asian coded paddy field themed coolie hat wearing class -- and everyone goes off and has a rad party. Which somehow makes it slightly less racist? I dunno.

Angie Millikem is just magnificent as this weird, German accented space crazy. The bit where she's shyly describing her evil plan to... become a drug dealer, is played like she's just slowly coming up with the idea and is showing off for the cool alien outsider slave. "I hear... space... is very cold." It's a great bit of characterisation, to show how isolated she is from the abuse she causes.

Farscape really encouraged some bugnuts performances, but they were often very well crafted cases of deeply eccentric.

Anyway, I loving love this show. I think this might be my fifth or sixth time rewatching it. It's just so loose, and everyone feels so comfortable all the time. Just a really good hang out show.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's just so loose, and everyone feels so comfortable all the time. Just a really good hang out show.

Never really thought if it this way but it's a good point. Even when someone is being tortured or something else horrible, a lot of the time the vibe is more "here we go again!" than it is super tense. Maybe that partially comes from John's prevailing "done with this poo poo" vibe.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
My wife introduced me to farscape years ago, we've watched it together twice and this thread has inspired a solo rewatch.

John really does start out as a bonehead but slowly turns into a MVP

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
God I love that about the character -- he's very broad and wacky at times, and when he goes large one of the personalities John puts on is the wacky cowboy. I like that he goes super broad with it too -- it's that way some people, when they're out of their social bubble, go broader with their personalities.

He doesn't that nobody will get his pop culture references, but he keeps making them anyway. He just doesn't give a gently caress.

Whenever anyone points out that John is a loving weirdo, they're not wrong.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 3, 2022

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Whenever anyone points out that John is a loving weirdo, they're not wrong.

https://youtu.be/-c4UJJPEyGA

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

He takes control of the gun the guy is holding on him and holds it to various parts of his body commenting on them and what they do, then aims it at his own hand. "Go ahead, kill my sex life" lmao Farscape rules.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Letting Ben Browder just go nuts in the role was the best choice they ever made.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I do not understand why that guy doesn't get more work

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Browder's problem was that in the late 90s/early aughts, leading man types weren't supposed to play funny or vulnerable. Plus scifi's for needs and losers, and this guy's got scifi stink all over him!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I wonder how much Chris Pratt realizes he was James Gunn's Ben Browder stand in for the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie, and how his entire career is to thank for it.

Actually I bet that weird lame dude has never even heard of Farscape so oh well. At least Gunn has thrown Browder a bone and cast him as a bit part in the sequel.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I was roughly midway through a rewatch and prime took farscape away. :argh:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

That sucks :( as good an excuse as ever for :filez: I guess

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I was roughly midway through a rewatch and prime took farscape away. :argh:

Same thing happened to me but apparently you can watch all the episodes on Plex for free (with ads). Which honestly I don't mind, makes the experience feel more like watching the show on broadcast back in the day.

Made it to the twin Crichtons story line and goddamn this show really makes the most of it. It's such a good way to resolve the will they/won't they stuff while also maintaining the relationship tension between Aeryn and Critchton. Most shows don't get the room to breathe and layer in character development like this anymore.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

what the yotz was that series finale

i have never been this blue balled in my life

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

blatman posted:

what the yotz was that series finale

i have never been this blue balled in my life

Yea that’s the point. Narrative terrorism to scare Sci-Fi into finding the money for season 5. Kind of worked, we got Peacekeeper Wars out of it. (Watch Peacekeeper Wars)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah watch Peacekeeper Wars because otherwise it's a rather insane finale.

Not that insanity is outside of Farscape's wheelhouse.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

oh man I had no idea about peacekeeper wars, gonna have to track that down, thanks!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It's closure, but... it comes at a price.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jeeves posted:

It's closure, but... it comes at a price.

True but nobody likes Jool.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Arc Hammer posted:

True but nobody likes Jool.

Yeah I thought it was adequate tbh

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

RIP Pilot’s voice

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Trevor Hale posted:

RIP Pilot’s voice

Not the only character in the show played by that actor. Also I can't find any indications that he's dead.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Kesper North posted:

Not the only character in the show played by that actor. Also I can't find any indications that he's dead.

No I literally mean his voice. The miniseries lost the ability to match his voice from the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's still the same voice actor but I think they messed up the voice modulation for him. Unfortunately little things like that can get lost when a show is canceled before getting a reboot, delayed sequel.