Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Item Getter posted:

Maybe you need to have at least 1 master seal in inventory to do it but you can always select each of the classes to look at a full body 3D preview and cancel out with B before going through with the change.

So we do. Make of these what you will, frankly they all look stupid and the only time you'll ever have to see them is when they show up in cutscenes.

E: Poll link is here, I'm calling it when I get home from work tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Item Getter posted:

Hopefully the game is a bit generous with the Master Seals (currently at the end of chapter 4).

You don't have to worry about it. I don't know if this is really a spoiler but I'm going to hide it anyway: If you do all the sidequests and everything, there are exactly 2 Master Seals per character, so you can go down both paths with everybody.

Nothing plot or character related at all up there, pure theorycraft planning stuff. Hopefully that's OK.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's not and I've already said as much in the old updates. There are enough master seals in the game to promote everyone twice, with the only caveat being that I might not *get* all of them because my first playthrough only found like 8 of them. :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Assassin and Berserker are cool looking, unless they secretly have their asses hanging out or something

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Artix posted:

It's not and I've already said as much in the old updates. There are enough master seals in the game to promote everyone twice, with the only caveat being that I might not *get* all of them because my first playthrough only found like 8 of them. :v:

I mean completing the Arena monster collecting quest gives you one and then allows you to unlock locktouch.

The downside is that can only happen five seconds before the final boss but still.
I found them all pretty easy but I also did all the side quests you can do before NG+ and saved my keys by saving before opening locked chests and resetting if it was Soma, again.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I do like the look of both of Tharja's second classes a lot, they are both unique and alien looking and overall more interesting than her base design instead of being a tacky attempt to "power up" the base design. The Sage design is one of the only things in the game that looks like it would fit in a PS2 era SMT game.
Though I went with Conqueror for Chrom I think it has to be one of the worst ones, it's just his base design with a bunch of bright red plastic bits from an action figure glued onto it.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I like sorcerer and bezerker

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

And so it shall be. Update tomorrow.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Yessssssssssssssssssssssss

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Oh man, glad to see this back. I picked this up for the Switch since I never got around to finishing it on the Wii U due to the whole "character profiles become so large they crash the game" bug. Really need to get back to working on that and finish it at some point... if I can just tear myself away from FF XIV long enough.

I also managed to get 4/5 of #FE characters in Fire Emblem: Heroes; only missed out on Kiria.

Oh, and of course:

https://twitter.com/WT_Fits/status/1221934643965882368

Because I will never not make this dumb joke whenever the opportunity arises. :allears:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I look forward to Mamori's new hit single: "My Love For You Is Like A Truck".

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
The character profiles can crash the Wii U version? That... seems like a slightly problematic oversight.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

quote:

Maiko! There's been an attack on Daiba Studio, and Director Tarachino's been possessed!
The entire studio is a mess now! There's no way we're goign to get any filming done like this!
This time the mirages have gone too far...! I'm gonna beat them to a pulp! I'l find Tarachino, no matter what!

Easy there, slugger. I'm with you, we're gonna go fight Tarachino in just a few, but first we have something extremely important to attend to.

Um... You know, you can get a stuffed doll of Dia Witch's partner, Curine, at the pharmacy...!

But I lost my Stamp Cards! I need them to turn in, and Mama got them for me... *sniff* Wahhhh!

That's right, we're going to help this small child with an unrelated problem. Priorities, baby.

Huh? You'll help me look for them? Th-Thank you...! I need three stamp cards to trade in, and I lost all of them...

So this is a pretty basic back and forth sidequest, and I wouldn't have even bothered doing it if not for the fact that I stumbled on it after coming out of Carabia's. :v: Fortunately, it's very simple. She'll tell you where she dropped a card, you go there and there's a shiny. Rinse and repeat.

And I'm only telling you that because I found Urabe along the way.

"Your health shall waver, but i shall not be in peril. Hasten onward! A surprise is waiting for you... to the south." The good stuff is sitting at the diving board of the photography exhibit!

It's another Treasure Key :ssh:

Now I can trade these for a Curine doll!

We get Pharmacy Beads as a reward, which are another one of the random accessories on the pile. I'm pretty sure this is +10 Res for -5 Def, which makes it useful for like, just Mamori.

Anyway I guess we should do that thing, huh?

Don't push yourself too hard, Mamori. If things get dangerous, we'll protect you.

Thank you, but I'll be fine. I'm not as helpless as I used to be. Right, Mr. Draug?

Sir Itsuki, be at ease. I shall be my Master's sword and shield, that she may fight alongside you.

Thanks, Draug. I'll be counting on your help.

Will we, Itsuki? Will we really?

Anyway, actual gameplay! Illusory Daiba has probably my favorite gimmick in the game, which we'll see just a second. For now, note the light wall on the right door. We'll be back for that soon enough.

We enter the door on the left, and get greeted with this set of screens. It's not really clear what it means, but let's continue on.

The room beyond is a long, lengthwise corridor roughly divided in half by Studio A and B, this blue area we're in being Studio B. There's a door right in front of us, but before we go in, let's have a look around.

Enemies! The archers resist bows, electric, and wind, but are weak to basically everything else, and the paladins have an odd mish-mash of resistances (Weak: Axes, Electric; Resist: Swords, Ice, Light). Neither of them are particularly threatening, especially with easy access to Dual Dispatch and Horseslayer.

The Troublemaker passive isn't very useful outside of her Assassin skills; it boosts everyone's success rate with status ailments as long as Ellie is on the field.

And while we're here, Touma picks up Ice-Blaze. It's theoretically for Mamori, but really, he likes it for Kiria.

Anyway, please enjoy this close-up of Itsuki's eye as part of his Ad-lib animation.

It's not the most involved animation, but it gets the job done.

A few battles later, Ellie upgrades Fire Strike to Flame Strike. Her fire coverage isn't *great* but it is *there*, and arguably that's more important when you just have to hit a weakness at all to start a session. Kiria does the same with Agi -> Agilao.

The Red Shaman isn't super interesting, but being weak to Swords and Fire will do that to you.

There are a few goodies scattered around the area, but none of them are too interesting other than this performa. It's part of what Ellie needs for Troublemaker.

Shortly thereafter, Itsuki picks up Carnage Trainer, which is an extremely handy passive that makes everyone on the bench automatically get 20% of the Weapon EXP that Itsuki does. This, combined with Open Audition, is how you keep everyone up to date with weapon and stage ranks, even when you're not really using them.

Anyway, now that we've explored the entire area, hopefully the gimmick makes sense. Ten doors, ten screens - just follow the monitors to see where you need to go.

The top-right door did say presented by Treasure Stash, Corp. Seems like a logical place to start.

And sure enough, we're dumped into a room with a handful of goodies. None of them are amazing finds, but you could do a lot worse than 40 grand, a Chakra Pot, a pair of Beads, a Treasure Key, and a Soma.

Hiding off to the side is an upgrade to the cleric enemies, weak to axes and electric, but resisting wind and light. Leave em alone long enough and they'll start throwing out mid-tier spells, but they should be fairly easy to dispatch.

Anyway, I totally forgot which door I needed for Episode 1 and I was going to leave to recharge before the miniboss if I guessed wrong.

Oops.

:siren: We gotta start filming! :siren:

What do you want!?

Please, come to your senses! Your mind's being controlled by a Mirage!

Shut up, kid! I'm doin' what I want, so I can GET what I want! It's all to film the greatest show EVER!

Oribe!

Y-Yes!?

Huh!? F-Filming!? W-We don't have time for that. We need to-

NO TIME!? What do you got that's more important than shooting this show!? Huh!? Come on, say it to my face!

U-Umm...

Maho dodges hit after brutal hit, and lands a ruthless counterattack... An action scene! Now that's good TV! Now act, Oribe!

Y-Y-Y-You want an action scene now!? Wh-What do we do, Itsuki!?

You're up, Touma!

You got it! All right, Tsubasa, I'll show you how it's done! Hope you can keep up!

O-Okay! Thanks, Touma!

Touma, I can feel your spirit surging with a burning zeal...!

Here we go... Aaand, action!

So if it wasn't obvious from the scene, this is a fairly simple battle. Touma and Tsubasa are required to be in the party, and we win once we complete Tarachino's demands. True to his word, the Biomonsters are slow, weak to nearly every element other than Swords and Ice, and fairly inaccurate, even if they do hit like a truck.

They also have a capital-G Gimmick, in that you have to kill all of them at once. If there are any of them left standing at the end of the turn, the missing ones revive with full HP. That's a lot less dangerous than it sounds, because they go down to two good sessions a piece and you're more likely to kill one by accident trying to weaken it.

Itsuki did most of the work with a Back Chorus Ad-lib. Touma is just here to do the final clean-up. End result?

Both Touma and Tsubasa pick up Open Audition, as well as a handful of skill upgrades. Tsubasa trades up Skewer for Assault Dive, and Touma gets Fire Boost.

:siren: Nicely done! :siren:

Nicely done! Not bad, Oribe!

Yes! Thanks a lot, Touma!

And you - Red! Your acting wasn't half bad! I look forward to seein' you on set someday.

Yes, sir! Thank you, sir!

Congratulations, you two!

Thanks, Itsuki!

Heh, piece of cake.

I'm heading off to the next site. You all better not arrive late!

And that's all she wrote for Episode 1. Next time, Tears and Justice! See you then!

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

So we are just gonna not mention that this guy is clearly Quentin Tarantino with a fake mustache?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what guy

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Regallion posted:

So we are just gonna not mention that this guy is clearly Quentin Tarantino with a fake mustache?

Junpei already beat you to it, which I wouldn’t have known if the thread reply preview didn’t show also posts from people you’ve ignored.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

One trip back to the office later, and we're ready for Act 2. Tears and Justice is filming in the bottom right corner, so away we go.

But first! A new sidequest has opened up, and we're not going anywhere near it yet. We are several levels below where the game wants us to be for this quest, and it has A Gimmick™ that I do not like at all.

Having finished the first part of the chapter, the enemies in the main hall have been upgraded. Knights have been added to the mix, and this time they null lances outright instead of just resisting them like bows. Swords and Fire is still a fairly simple set of weaknesses to exploit, though.

Heading into the door for Tears and Justice drops us into a room with a fairly suspicious floor. We're going to have to cross it though, because Tarachino is headed for Studio #1 on the other side of the room.

With Lightoma active, we can see that some of the the tiles have traps on them, which a nearby demon confirms by telling us that there are "lesson" tiles to get us ready for acting with Tarachino. Itsuki wisely surmises that we should probably avoid those tiles, and for good reasons.

Of course, that's not the only thing going on here. Some of the tiles are just flat out impassable, meaning that we will eventually be funneled into the trap tiles. For now, we'll just have to work our way around the maze.

And of course, there's goodies to be had, if you're up for a little puzzle solving. I... Well, I suppose you'll see shortly.

I, your dramatics coach, will teach you the secrets and correct mindset to be a successful actor! And if you don't do as I say, get ready for bit parts for the rest of your life!

First and foremost is rehearsing! You learn your lines, and the emotions and flow of the scene. Rehearsal is absolutely crucial!

And so... Let's begin rehearsal! I want you to defeat the antagonists within four rounds. In five, four, three, two...

Now, the enemies that get summoned can vary a bit, but none of them are incredibly difficult. Even a moderately levelled party should have no trouble cleaning the floor with them in two turns, let alone four. We do have a couple new faces here, including the newest member of the worm family with an extremely arbitrary set of resistances and a ludicrously low resistance (Tsubasa did over 300 damage with a wind session attack...off the bench).

If we make our way to the east side of the room, we find a button and a wall. No time like the present, right?

Pressing it changes the configuration on the floor (and briefly reveals it before fading everything back to blue). There's a button for each row, but we only have access to a couple of them for now. That will change in due time. :shepface:

If we head back to the south side there's a pair of item boxes to pick up, resulting in a new Peforma and the Candle of Grudges accessory, which actually does the thing I thought the Pharmacy Beads did (-5 Def, +10 Res). We may never know what the beads' effect is. :iiam:

With the switch flipped a second time, we have access to Studio #1, but not before we pick up Ellie's Open Audition. Just Mamori left, and then we'll be able to really mix and match the party at will.

Were we so inclined, this does give us access to the switch for the top row, but there's nothing useful we can do with it yet. I'll be damned if that doesn't stop me from dicking around for another 10 minutes trying to see if I can access that one treasure stash that was blocked off, but to no avail.

Along the way, we pick up Safety First, a skill that reduces everyone's damage by 10% as long as Mamori is on the field. At least we got something out of this, right?

:siren: Why am I apologizing? :siren:

O-Oh! I'm so sorry! ...Wait. Why am I apologizing?

Come on, Tsubasa, you can't get distracted now!

Y-Yeah...?

Quiet on the set! We're gonna start shooting!

She starts by tryin' peace talks with the criminal. But midway through, she sneezes and ends up goin' wild...! This is the big climax for this episode. It's gonna be a real test for the actress that plays her!

Do you think you can do it, Tsubasa?

Y-Yeah... I'll do my best.

Don't gimme that crap! "I'll do my best"! Like hell an amateur like you can do a big drama scene with no prep! I know that without even havin' to watch!

Huh!?

You're in the lead role because that's what the bigwigs wanted... but I was against it from the beginning!

S-Sorry...

Don't apologize, Oribe. Amateur or not, it's the director's job to get a good performance outta you. So... I'm just gonna give you a hand getting into character. Time for some method acting!

Tsubasa...!

Aya! Wh-What are you doing here!?

So? Think you can get a better feel for negotiating with a criminal when the hostage is your sister?

Aah!

Stop!

Looks like he's really getting into character, Oribe. You wanna save that hostage, you better show me real acting.

W-Wait... Director, this is-

P-Please stop!

H-Help... Tsubasa!

YoU qUieT toO! You waNT to DiE!?

Eek...!

Don't you dare hurt Aya!

Well, this certainly took a turn, but as hosed up as the methods may be, we know what he wants, so...

You need to get into character!

Huh?

Think back to the other scene. If we can give him a performance that's good enough... I'm sure he'll let her go!

Y-Yeah, you're right. I think I'm starting to get the hang of playing Maho now... I'll give it a shot!

:cripes:

Well, I suppose if we must indulge this, let's get it over as quickly as possible.

Ellie, any advice you could give Tsubasa?

I thought you'd never ask. Leave it to me. It's time for the future Hollywood superstar, Eleonora!

Ellie!

You need to use everything you've got in drama. Don't think of it as a script... It has to be reality for you. Just let me show you how it's done!

O-Okay!

Hmph... First the red kid, and now you. Just can't stop buttin' in, can you... Whatever! Show me what you got!

Now, my dear Ellie, as we practiced. Poise, dignity, and ladylike grace.

All right... Aaaaaand, action!

I toLD yOU NO CoMe ANy cLOseR!

But-

I KiLL tHis GiRL fOR reaL! YoU wAnT ThaT!? YoU HUmanS... nEVer uNdeRstAND mONsTEr's fEELingS...!

No...

HUmanS PERseCUte uS, aNd my FaMiLy...! I nEVer FoRgiVe HUmanS! ThiS mY REveNge! I gEt mY REveNge!

I understand how you feel! But... you haven't lost everything. You still have- A-Achoo!

Yeah, you lost something important to you! I get it! But you still got someone that loves you, don'tcha!?

URgh...! I- I- WaS I... wroNg...?

Cuuuuuuuuuuut!

Ellie does a pretty solid job of performing the scene. Certainly far and away the best of the line reads we've heard so far out of the gang.

Chewing the, uh...?

You know, Ellie, that means-

O-Ohhh. R-Right! Psh, no, you can't chew the scenery in Hollywood! The set designers would get mad.

:allears:

Ellie... what do you think? Can Tsubasa perform that scene?

Let me do a quick review. Give me 10 seconds.

Tsubasa... help me...

I-I'll be fine, Itsuki! I'll do it right, no matter what it takes!

...No. I don't think you can. It's not just about the personality changes - your own sister's being held hostage. You can't act if you can't stay calm. If we want to save Ayaha... we need to decide how we're going to do this.

Nngh... Just... wait right there, Aya. I'll be back - I promise!

Well that could have gone better. Ellie's performance was fine, but she's right, Tsubasa is absolutely not going to be able to pull that off without some prep work. Let's see what we can do on that front.

Their... emotions...

Quick question, Tsubasa. Do you tend to act before you think, instead of analyzing the situation first?

Hmm. Yeah, that sounds like her...

I was right, then. You need to see things through the character's eyes to really understand their motivation.

So... what should we do...?

That's the hard part... but Ayaha's been taken captive by an enemy before, hasn't she?

Yeah.

If we use that as a starting point, Tsubasa might be able to really grasp the emotions of the criminal.

So the criminal's emotions are key... Then let's head back to the office to see if we can find anything to help.

Back at the office, sure enough, Aya is missing from her desk. Tsubasa is busy freaking out in the corner, so let's see what we can find if we rummage through her things.

:siren: It is NOT dopey! :siren:

Huh? This picture...

What've you got there...? Wow, Tsubasa, you're so tiny in this! How old is this picture?

Umm... If I remember correctly, we took this a little before the whole disappearance incident... I think.

...I've seen that before. I remember Ayaha showing it to me.

She was carrying this picture around?

Yeah. Said it was her good luck charm.

A good luck charm...

Said she had a little sister with a cute smile, too. She always said Tsubasa would make a better idol than her.

Cute smile? Don't tell me Ayaha was talking about that dopey little grin she's got now, was she?

It is NOT dopey!

Whatever smile it is... I guess you proved your sister right by becoming an idol.

Aya... I promise I'll save you. I'll be there soon!

We might be able to use this...

What is it?

Now this is just a hypothetical, of course... but what do you think you'd do if your sister was killed by a Mirage?

Wh-What?

Just try imagining it. What would you do if the worst happened?

If Aya was killed, I'd...

Do you think you'd try to get revenge?

...I don't know what I would do. But... the pain would be more than I could take... and I would never forget whoever was responsible.

Mm. Kind of cliche, I guess, but I can feel your emotion when you say it. I think that's a good answer.

Answer?

The criminal's backstory was that his rage from losing his family made him turn to a life of crime, right? So the criminal's feelings... they're the same ones that you'd have if you lost your sister.

Ohhh... So the criminal would feel the same way... I do...! Thanks! I think I know what to do now!

Now that you know how the criminal feels, all you need to do is use your words and reach out to him. The words that will move his heart should just come from within yours - naturally.

From within...

Tsubasa Oribe's soul as an entertainer has achieved a new awakening... Tsubasa's inspiration has taken form as a new Performa: Heartfelt Words!

Looks like you managed just fine.

Yeah!

Okay, no time like the present! Time for some last-minute Hollywood-style training. Next stop, Tarachino!

Before we finish up here, let's grab a few toys. Durandal is (I believe) the first reference to a legendary weapon, in this case Eliwood's sword in FE7. It's our first source of Ziodyne, as well a Resist Ice, despite the sword itself making him weak to ice.

Similarly, Slepnir comes with Inferno Strike (heavy physical fire damage), and Resist Wind for good measure. The rest of our weapon upgrades aren't much to write home about.

As with Feel My Soul, Feel My Heart comes with a marginal benefit, in this case an increased hit rate across the board. It's better than nothing, I suppose.

You're going to wear yourself out if you're that tense before the true test, Tsubasa. Try to loosen up a little... You only need to be your usual self.

You already have everything you need for this performance, don't you?

Yeah. I just have to believe in what everyone's taught me and do my best!

That's the spirit. Now then, the time has come to save Ayaha.

Right!

And with that, we're ready for another round with Tarachino. Next time, it's miniboss round 2!

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
...I never thought to cast Lightoma in the room with the panels. Huh.

It might just be because they don't warp you back so progress isn't really impeded (and none of the penalties for stepping on a lesson panel are extremely detrimental) so I never thought "man, is there a way to avoid these...?" but...

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I'm now curious if anybody knows what the original wordplay was in the scene where Ellie takes the phrase "chewing the scenery" literally. When watching the scene, I'm pretty sure I heard the word "passion" and then Tsubasa starting to explain what that means in English.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I just want you all to know that we are absolutely going to take a dive into "The Chapter 4 That Could Have Been" after we beat Tarachino because holy poo poo some of these cut scenes are loving magical and I legitimately don't know why they didn't make the final game. :allears:

Next update probably Tuesday? Maybe tomorrow, depending on how much I get done tonight.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

After a quick recharge, we're ready for round two with Tarachino. Before we get there though, Itsuki picks up Early Bird, which significantly moves him up in the turn queue. We're gonna be glad we have it very soon.

No time like the present, Itsuki. Let's roll!

:siren: Now THAT'S acting! :siren:

Yes, sir!

All right then. Get into costume, Oribe!

Let's begin! Ready... action!

I toLD yOU NO CoMe ANy cLOseR!

But-

I KiLL tHis GiRL fOR reaL! YoU wAnT ThaT!? YoU HUmanS... nEVer uNdeRstAND mONsTEr's fEELingS...!

No...

HUmanS PERseCUte uS, aNd my FaMiLy...! I nEVer FoRgiVe HUmanS! ThiS mY REveNge! I gEt mY REveNge!

I understand how you feel! But... you haven't lost everything. You still have- A-Achoo!

:stare:

Yeah, you lost something important to you! I get it! But you still got someone that loves you, don'tcha!? You think it's okay to betray them, too!? That's... something I could never forgive! And neither should you!

URgh...! I- I- WaS I... wroNg...?

Cuuuuuuuuut!

Deliverin' phrases, pauses - that's all the actor's decision! And knowin' when to adjust on the fly? Now THAT'S acting!

Huh!?

I mean, I think we all saw this one coming from a mile away, right? They reuse a few gags, but kidnapping Aya after it was the entire point of Chapter 1 would be a bit much.

Sir... How could you...!?

We're done with the hostage scene, so clean up for me, will ya? Next one's our last scene. Don't be late.

:siren: Miniboss: Cuplrit Monster :siren:

Anyway guess what motherfucker it's miniboss time and this one's a doozy. Our Bandito friend here isn't *really* the danger, although that's not to say he can't cause a little pain.

No, the real trouble is this little fellow. You can probably guess by the fact that it's called Hostage "A", it won't be the last one we see, and they all do pretty much exactly what you'd expect. The problem is in their resistances; see, each of the four hostages that can appear has a different elemental weakness, but since they're treated as new enemies every time one gets summoned, you don't know which one you're dealing with until after you see the whole set.

There's an easy way to know what their weakness isn't though, and that's to get a spell bounced back in your face. Whatever elements they *resist*, they reflect, and like with their weakness, you don't know what element that is until you're eating your own Ziodynes. And yes, that does say "Elements." Plural.

Left to his own terms, the big boy will cast an assortment of debuffs and follow it up with Cleaves. Not the most original game plan, but they are pretty beefy sword hits. Tsubasa and Touma are recommended for obvious reasons.

As for the hostage, they also get two turns and will either throw out heals, debuffs, or AoE spells. Which is favored depends on which mirage you're dealing with at the time.

One thing the hostages are always weak to, however, is a very large axe to the face. Sometimes, you just gotta punch a mage as hard as possible to get results.

A Tsubasa's Kiss doesn't hurt the cause either.

However, if it's been more than a turn or so without a hostage, Pinch Hitter will summon another one to the fight. Which one will it be, and what does she do?

Oops, it was a double attacking one. Better luck next time!

Hostage #3 comes out to play, and the boss is almost dead. Should be smooth sailing from here, but...

Foolishly, I revive Touma instead of going for the kill. And now we've got a double healing hostage on our hands.

One that reflects wind and fire. :shepicide:

You know what? I don't have time for this crap. We're calling in the big guns.

Itsuki throws his sword to the heavens...

Where Chrom is apparently dive-bombing?

This is supposed to be an electric attack?????

Anyway, suffice to say it gets the job done and comes with the side benefit of also nuking all of his resistances for a turn or two. This would matter, if he got another turn.

Lot of good skill upgrades from this one, including Tsubasa upgrading to Diarama and Wind Boost, and Touma's Lance Boost.

:siren: Hey, that was pretty good! :siren:

We get the trailer for Sneeze Detective Maho here. Not gonna lie, I'd watch it.

I think by the time we get to filming the real show, you're gonna be just fine.

I hope so...

Before that, we need to break that Mirage's hold on the director.

Yeah. Let's hurry to the next shoot. We'll find that Mirage possessing the director and take them out!

Yeah!

Next time: Farewell, Detective Maho!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tsubasa went :ssj:

Not even her final form

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

With the miniboss out of the way, there's only one more stop to make. Season finale, here we come.

Before we do, though, another set of enemy upgrades. Bloodwing Knights have been added, which would be notable if they didn't eat poo poo to a single good axe hit.

And hey, we unlocked Tsubasa's last sidequest which we are also going to stay far away from. If I remember right this one has a recommended level of like, 52. :v:

The door the finale drops us back in the LCD room, but on the other side. This lets us access those breakable walls, as well as the rest of the switches to control the floor.

No time for that! I got more jerks who just won't leave me alone. Make yourself useful and take care of 'em, will ya? I need you to track down that hungry, hungry Hirudinean, his friend, the dimwitted-est Regal Knight, and the weirdo, gloomy creeper-guy!

The mirage we've been bodyguarding pops up on the other side of the room. Fortunately, we have all of these already so we can turn it in right away.

That's all of 'em! Good work there... Say, you ever thought about the private security industry...? Bah, I'm kiddin'! I gues that wraps things up here. Time to get goin'! Later!

Received a Treasure Key!

Easy peasy. :toot:

Lesson panels don't just have encounters hidden on them. Sometimes they cut your HP by a little (in this case, about 10%), sometimes they cut it by a lot (~50%), and sometimes it just drops you to single digit HP. It can do the same for MP, which is substantially more annoying to deal with.

The real prize for solving all the puzzles in this room is the Master Seal, which is oddly easy to get for being the "good" prize. There's also a Balm of Life which I had to come back and get offscreen because I could not be assed to do it while I was recording originally.

The rest of the time in this room is spent slowly but surely grinding up stage rank and skills as I eventually make my way to Door 2 in the upper right. Itsuki's EP Fitness is nothing to write home about.

Touma's third sidequest might be, but like the others it has a fairly high level requirement so we'll have another look at the intermission.

We can safely chuck two points of Res for Ice Boost. Not pictured, but included, is upgrading Itsuki to Ziodyne, Tsubasa with Null Charm, and Ellie with Bow Boost.

And one more for the road. Haven't really seen any stat boosters lately, come to think of it. There's a source for them we haven't really checked out yet, to be sure, but I guess they expect you to be playing the lottery more than I have been.

Anyway, with that our long, ardous journey through the puzzle floor is over. But before we head in to fight Tarachino, we have some cleanup and preparation to do.

For starters, we have the first of Itsuki's Great Lord weapons. Could we make space for Healing Expertise? Sure, but really we're just here for Wind-Elthunder and Concentrate.

Kiria has a very nice looking toy as well. Bufudyne is an obvious one, but Concentrate is something she's been hunting for quite a while.

And while we're here, we've got two Master Seals burning a hole in our pocket.

Done and done.

One last thing while we clean up some filler-y stuff. I'm pretty sure we saw Ellie and Tsubasa already, so let's complete the set.

:siren: A Concert Has Nothing to do With Nurses :siren:

That's a sexy nurse, alright. Let no one ever say Kiria betrays her aesthetic, even when she's in fetish wear.

Welcome back, Kiria. You really nailed it on that catwalk with that nurse outfit.

If I'm going to do it, I'll give it my all... That's how I do things.

You really stay true to yourself, even in that outfit.

...Is that a in a good way?

Of course in a good way! You look so great in it, I actually want you to do your next concert in that outfit!

A concert? So it's not you wanting me in it to nurse you if you're sick? Come on, a concert has nothing to do with nurses.

...Oh.

Pfft... Ahahaha! But you did say I look good in this. Thanks for the compliment, Itsuki.

I...don't even know where to begin with that scene. Itsuki is either a moron or so ineptly hitting on Kiria that it's impossible to tell the difference.

Anyway that should be it for Chapter 4. Next time, it's the season finale! See you then!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Hello friends, I am not in fact dead, but I expect it might be another week or so before there'll be another update. To make a long story short, A) I live in the Pacific Northwest and B) I work at a grocery store, which if you've been paying attention to the world is not a very good combination! I do actually have the end of C4 recorded but the little free time I've had lately has gone to Murder by Numbers and generally not doing anything that could be construed as work. So hopefully things will get back to normal soon, or at least close enough that I don't want to die when I come home. :v:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh dear gods. Yeah, you're all working super overtime right now. I'm glad I got most of my shopping done before the panic buying set in.

I hope you at least manage to get some sleep!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Artix posted:

Hello friends, I am not in fact dead, but I expect it might be another week or so before there'll be another update. To make a long story short, A) I live in the Pacific Northwest and B) I work at a grocery store, which if you've been paying attention to the world is not a very good combination! I do actually have the end of C4 recorded but the little free time I've had lately has gone to Murder by Numbers and generally not doing anything that could be construed as work. So hopefully things will get back to normal soon, or at least close enough that I don't want to die when I come home. :v:

Oh dear lord. You have my sympathies, friend. Take care of yourself, and don't go to work if you're sick!

Unless your management are utter shitlords and make you come to work sick or you'll be fired. :patriot:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Artix posted:

oh uh yikes, stay safe and stay healthy

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh dear lord. You have my sympathies, friend. Take care of yourself, and don't go to work if you're sick!

Unless your management are utter shitlords and make you come to work sick or you'll be fired. :patriot:

Yeah, take care of yourself. I’m in the other cluster in NY (well, mostly New Rochelle in Westchester, but NYC is getting up there in numbers too), so I hope all of us can get through this. At least I’m not like my Jersey friends who work retail, and we did some minor stocking up before the panic buying hit (Asians buying when things are on sale and all that) and all the rice disappeared.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Only one thing to do, Itsuki. It's time to bring down the curtains on Sneeze Detective Maho!

:siren: Insane is my NORMAL! :siren:

My SENSES? You think I'm insane!? I am an ARTIST! Insane is my NORMAL! Can't create art without a little insanity! Time to get on with the show, Oribe!

Sir...

Just like we thought. Looks like we have to finish the scene so he'll be satisfied...

For all your hard work... I'm adding a scene for the perfect ending! Listen up, 'cause I'm only explaining once!

Maho finally chases down the true culprit! However... the mastermind turns out to be her lover! Maho is torn! Two lovers, now enemies! Detective and criminal! They embrace in tears... and share one final kiss...!

Now THAT'S a drat climax! MAXIMUM EMOTION EXPLOSIONS!

Wha- A-A-A... k-k-kiss!?

That's right! A kiss! A locking of lips! An exchange of raw passion! As for who's gonna play the criminal lover, hokay, let's see here...

You had to know this was coming as soon as there was even a mention of a kiss. :allears:

Uh- Me...?

M-Me... k-k-kissing... I-I-Itsuki... U-U-Uhhh...

The hell's wrong with you now!? What, you can't even do a kiss scene!? And you call yourself an artist!? I knew you weren't right for the part! A professional actor could handle romance scenes, no problem!

I... I can do it! Itsuki... a-are you okay with this?

...So what's it gonna be, Itsuki? Will you actually... kiss... Tsubasa?

Weeell, this is quite an interesting development. If you don't want to, Itsuki, I can always take your place.

They're really selling this like it's some major character moment for Itsuki, but uh... Well, I suppose you'll see.

Itsuki...

Wait, do you even know the lines?

Yeah, I'll be fine. I may just be an extra, but I'm still part of the show. I figured I'd memorize the lines. ...I guess I should thank Tsurugi for his advice.

Hm?

It's nothing.

Quiet on the set! Let's get those cameras rolling!

This is it... We're going to lose each other... aren't we?

Looks like... Our paths have drifted too far apart.

I really did... love you, you know.

Even after you found out what I really am?

Whatever you really are... it doesn't change the time we spent. Together. But if... this is where it ends...

Maho...

No... I can't do it... I can't imagine being apart from you! Even if I have to turn against the world... I would choose you over the seven billion people on this planet!

Maho...

It's really hard to tell from the screenshot but they go all in on this shot, it's got the sparkles and pink flowey background and everything. :allears:

Huh? Wha-

Good...! Fantastic! Love conquers all!

What about the kiss...?

The first basic rule of directing is omission! You don't SHOW 'em - let 'em IMAGINE the kiss, so it's perfect!

But... but then, why did I have to get so nervous...?

Thanks to your intense emotion, Oribe, I've filmed my greatest masterpiece yet! And you! You motivated Oribe to get to that point! Fantastic! Ah, I'm getting so worked up, I'm shaking!

Uh... thanks.

They did it, guys. I'm so proud of my idiot children. :unsmith: Mission complete?

Oh, I can see the light again for Japanese entertainment...!

We did it, Tsubasa. He loved our performance.

Yeah... and I couldn't have done it without you and everyone else's help. Now, we just need the Mirage...

Huh!?

After the two of them confess their love, the TRUE mastermind behind all the cases emerges from the shadows! Maho now must face her greatest foe, the deadly manipulator of all the other culprits...! Come on out!

Come on, you didn't think we were going to get out of this without a Yashiro fight, did you? Itsuki even said it back at the start of the chapter - Yashiro is playing the villain.

Wha-

Yashiro Tsurugi! Your role is the evil mastermind! Your motivation... is to tear these two apart! Got it!?

...I can play any role I'm cast.

Tsurugi... you're siding with him!?

...Don't misunderstand. I'm not interested in being anyone's tool.

Then why...!?

There's something I have to make sure of.

What...?

Tsubasa Oribe! You... You...

No, stop...! She's- They're gonna give Japan a brighter future...! Don't you lay a drat finger on them...!

Silence! Eurgh, what a foul little worm... Whatever happened to you hating the entire world!?

Rrgh... Yeah, I hated it...! But now I've finally found the light! I-I won't let anyone ruin the future of Japanese film... Everrrrrrr!

It's kinda telling that Draug aside, the bosses have been getting less and less screentime as the game goes on. At this point they're not even appearing until the same scene in which we kill them.

quote:

Excellus is an enemy commander in Act 2 of Fire Emblem: Awakening. He serves as Walhart's tactician, but is secretly a devout believer of the Grimleal cult and is undercutting Walhart's attempt to destroy them. He blackmails Yen'fay into serving the army, but once the party kills Yen'fay the remaining soldiers break ranks and join Chrom. Walhart tells him that he knew about the betrayal, and he can either lead his personal guard into battle or die on the spot. He's ultimately killed by the party, having accomplished *checks notes* basically nothing.

The Mirage is almost separated! Itsuki, now's our chance!

Got it!

Well that was easier than anticipated. Now, for the main event.

All according to plan, though. With such a delicious prize at hand, I'm afraid I no longer need that horrid little brute.

Oh, Tsurugi? Care for a costar? I'd make a fine mastermind... And Tsubasa Oribe WILL BE MINE!

Hmph. Do as you please.

:siren: Boss Battle: Excellus :siren:

So with that... "introduction", we'll call it, it's time to finally throw down. Immediately we have a problem in that Excellus brought a friend with him, and not a bunch of randos like Draug did. Yashiro isn't terribly threatening provided you know his gimmick, which to the game's credit is pretty obvious once the fight properly starts.

Yashiro will cast Sukukaja and throw out Cleaves if he's already buffed, but it's his second skill that defines how you handle this fight.

Like every other goddamn prettyboy anime swordsman, Yashiro has Counter. Should you be foolish enough to attack him directly while it's up, he'll evade the attack and hit you with a fairly strong riposte, which sounds worse than it actually is. The biggest hole in his defense is that he won't block magic, which cuts out a pretty significant chunk of your attacks, especially since Yashiro is purely a distraction in the fight. Ideally, you won't attack him at all outside of hitting him with your Ma- spells.

Excellus himself is not a very complicated boss. The big guy will cast the -la tier spell of whatever color he happens to be twice per turn, switching to a new element every few turns or after he takes enough damage.

This is announced by him throwing out a specially-named Megido and changing to a new color to denote his new element and weakness. And that's...really it to the boss fight. Excellus's magic is more dangerous than Yashiro, but he's also easier to counter by changing to the appropriate party members when he changes elements. Yashiro has a follow-up session skill if you leave the wrong person out there, but really, you shouldn't ever see it unless you get unlucky on the switch.

Eventually though, he'll change to black instead of an elemental color, and that's how you know the fight is about to get serious.

First and foremost, he upgrades all his spells to ma-dynes, which immediately puts you on a time limit. He still attacks twice per turn, and with Fire, Wind, and Ice in his repertoire, no one is safe. And even if you were able to tank it, you still have to deal with Yashiro attacking twice a turn on top of it.

The good news is that in this form, Excellus is weak to everything. Yes, everything. In a way, it's almost like a rage timer of sorts - no one is taking more than a few Mabufudynes on the chin at this point, so one of you is going to die very quickly, it's only a question of who.

It was uh, not him the first time around. :v:

See ya, nerd.

And that's all she wrote for Chapter 4. Next time, it's the exciting conclusion of Sneeze Detective Maho, but first! You may notice another Master Seal in our battle loot. I am executive decisioning this one to go to Kiria, will she be a Sage or Sorceror?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I vote Sorcerer!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think if you decided to focus on Yashiro, eventually Excellus will swap their HPs, so the game really wants to make sure you're taking out Excellus.

Also Kiria's definitely gotta go Sorceror.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Sorcerer for Kiria.

Also, I loved the kiss fake-out. :allears:

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Sorcerer, definitely. There's maybe one neat Sage-exclusive spell and the main time it could even pretend to be useful it absolutely is not for a variety of reasons

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ChaosArgate posted:

I think if you decided to focus on Yashiro, eventually Excellus will swap their HPs, so the game really wants to make sure you're taking out Excellus.

Nah, it's simpler than that. If Yashiro ends up with low HP, Excellus just casts Diarahan on him.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I actually managed to take down Yashiro during my recent replay.
Touma's Gaia Whisper is freaking insane if you manage to find a turn to use it, and two charged lances in a row at a point in the game where charge/concentrate are still a couple weapons away is insane damage.

By the way, Counter can't counter AoE physical skills, Ad Libs/SP skills, and arrow attacks either.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Omobono posted:

By the way, Counter can't counter AoE physical skills, Ad Libs/SP skills, and arrow attacks either.

...oh, so that's why it doesn't just say single-target physical skills. because bows.

Would all of Elly's skills be safe or just the ones that are actually bow-element?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

In normal at least, Yashiro just straight up never attacked me and just kept casting Counter. I don’t know if that’s an actual AI difference or if I just got lucky though.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I guess someone has to mention that Excellus is based on this thing from Tron

Looking forward to see what the cut content in this part of the game is like.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

In normal at least, Yashiro just straight up never attacked me and just kept casting Counter. I don’t know if that’s an actual AI difference or if I just got lucky though.

Yeah, I remember when I did this fight on the Wii-U version, once I realized that all Yashiro was doing was casting Sukukaja and Counter, I basically just ignored him entirely and was able to focus on just burning Excellus down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Item Getter posted:

I guess someone has to mention that Excellus is based on this thing from Tron

I recognized it