Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Sorcerer looks much cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Sorcerer, definitely.

Also, update on the previous page.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I feel like Sage looks cooler, but sounds like Sorceror has the cooler toys.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Jade Rider posted:

I feel like Sage looks cooler, but sounds like Sorceror has the cooler toys.

Basically this, Sage is a better design but we need Sorcerer

Hwurmp posted:

I recognized it

Just want you to know I saw this and appreciated it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The Excellus fight is the one that made me realize "wait a minute, items are for more than healing!" 1 magic mirror on the turn he goes black is more than enough breathing room to survive and murder him.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Feels Like We Already Did the Show :siren:

What... is this?

After killing Excellus, he drops a mysterious red stone. Not sure what to make of that for now, but I suppose we'll figure it out eventually.

Now, on to our other loose end.

Tsurugi... what exactly was it that you wanted to be sure of?

...Your strength.

Just kidding. He walks off without a word.

...I think it'll be fine. But I do wonder why he wanted to test our strength...

Man, who knows what that guy's ever thinking. ...Anyways, we better head back to the studio.

Don't celebrate just yet. The actual filming will need even more focus than your performances in the Idolasphere.

R-Right...! I'll do my best.

Oh, sir!

Oribe... we're, uh, starting filming now... right? My head's all foggy. Almost feels like we already did the show...

I was puttin' you through training, and you were trying your damnedest to keep up... And it was like your acting just kept getting better and better...

Looks as though his mind's trying to piece everything together.

I see...

But it sounds like he still remembers Tsubasa's performance, at least.

Oribe. When the real filming starts, I wanna see a performance like the one I saw in practice - no, even better. It's kids like you that are gonna lead Japan's filming industry one day. Awright?

Yes, sir!

A few weeks later...

I can't believe it airs after I go to bed for work. I'll never get caught up on the season at this rate. :negative:

(It's another full trailer for Maho. It's pretty good!)

:siren: I'll Take a Chance on this "Friendship" :siren:

Congratulations! And good work, Tsubasa.

Thank you so much! There were a lot of problems... but I think I really did Maho justice! And Ellie... you helped me so much! I can't thank you enough!

Uh, m-me?

Mhm. If it wasn't for you... I don't think I could've made Maho such an exciting character.

W-Well, it's only natural. You can give me a huge Hollywood thank you.

Yeah! And if I get another acting job, I'll come to you first for advice.

Uh... S-Sure. When the time comes, I'll teach you. But you'd better prepare yourself. Next time, I won't hold back. You'll get the full Hollywood experience!

Okay!

Yeah, looks like it.

I can't wait for the show to start. I want to see Ellie and Itsuki in it, too.

Yes! I can't wait to see it.

Well, now this is a surprise. Look who just couldn't keep away.

Yashiro Tsurugi!?

Tsurugi? What're you doing here...?

Oh good, you finally made it.

What exactly is going on...?

It's exactly what it looks like. Ayaha, would you mind taking care of the introductions?

You may already know him, but this is Yashiro Tsurugi. He'll be signing on with Fortuna Entertainment.

This...should be a surprise to no one. I do like that they actually make you fight him for real before he joins, though. ...If you can call "ignoring him while you focus fire Excellus" a real fight with him.

Correct. Ms. Shimazaki and I have already finalized the details. ...And furthermore, you can dispense with the formalities. Feel free to address me as simply Yashiro, Aoi.

...So, why are you joining us?

Your victory over me... proved your strength.

That's all.

...Huh? Wait, that's it?

That's all I needed. Until now, I've only fought alone. And if you expect me to say that was fruitless, you'll be disappointed.

But now, to find new strength... I've decided I'll take a chance on this "friendship" you hold so highly.

What a loving edgelord, I love him. :allears:

Then by all means, take up your sword and do as you please.

All right... I believe you. Yashiro, we'll be counting on your help from now on.

...Don't disappoint me, Aoi.

Even when you're on our side, you still kinda sound like a douchebag... Eh, I guess some things never change.

U-Um, Touma... I think Yashiro's just... unique!

Aw, Mamori. You're such a sweet girl...

drat right! You better be grateful you got Mamori to stand up for you, Yashiro, awright!?

Asinine...

What'd you say!? You wanna take this outside, punk!? I'll knock the teeth right outta that prissy mouth of yours!

Uncle Barry! Please, no fighting...!

Artix fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 1, 2020

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
And now the gang's all here. Yashiro'll fit right in with these lovable goofs.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Artix posted:

drat right! You better be grateful you got Mamori to stand up for you, Yashiro, awright!?

Asinine...

What'd you say!? You wanna take this outside, punk!? I'll knock the teeth right outta that prissy mouth of yours!

Uncle Barry! Please, no fighting...!

I think those Maiko portraits are supposed to be Barry. Not that the mental image of Maiko threatening to beat the poo poo out of Yashiro for being rude to Mamori isn't amusing in its own right.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nothing personnel kid

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Now that youtube has unfucked itself and processed the drat videos, cutscene videos will be up shortly. After that, we'll have a couple text-only updates detailing the alternate Chapter 4, and then power through about 8 sidequests in the intermission. :v:

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Hey, it fits with the regular Fire Emblem games, kinda.

...I guess you'd have to engage with the recruitable character via talking to them, usually, but you aren't supposed to kill them.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
A true Fire Emblem game would have let us accidentally murder him because he charged us and we got an unwanted crit :colbert:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So Chapter 4 has a lot of cut content, as it turns out. Fitting, perhaps, since Tsubasa is such a bad actor at the start of the chapter, there were originally no less than three planned excursions outside the idolasphere to get her all trained up. The first is the biomonster battle, where Touma shows her an action scene. We'll join the kids there:

There he is! Director!

What do you want!?

Please, come to your senses! Your mind's being controlled by a Mirage!

Shut up, kid! I'm doin' what I want, so I can GET what I want! It's all to film the greatest show EVER!

Oribe!

Y-Yes!?

You just gonna stand around like an idiot!? We gotta start filming!

Huh!? F-Filming!? W-We don't have time for that. We need to-

NO TIME!? What do you got that's more important than shooting this show!? Huh!? Come on, say it to my face!

U-Umm...

All right, we're rolling! This is the scene where Maho's fighting the enemy syndicate's biomonster army! Maho dodges hit after brutal hit, and lands a ruthless counterattack... An action scene! Now that's good TV!

Now act, Oribe!

Y-Y-Y-You want an action scene now!? Wh-What do we do, Itsuki!?

You're up, Touma!

You got it! If it's action you need, I'm your man! I've been watching these kinds of scenes millions of times since I was a kid. I've got the know-how!

I'll show you an example, so try tracing how I do it! You're cool with that, right, boss?

Oh...? Looks like we got a feisty one. All right then! Show me what you got! Let' see some of that fiery action!

Touma, I can feel your spirit surging with a burning zeal...!

Here we go... Aaand, action!

Graaaawr!

Hisssss!

Gaaaaaaaaah!

I've got this! Just watch... This is how a real HERO moves!

...Hah!

Geh!

Yah!

Grrk!

Hiyah!

Raaaaaaaah!

Heh... Piece of cake!

Cuuuuut! Hm... Not bad.

What did you think, Touma? Do you think Tsubasa could do that?

Of course...! Is what I'd like to say, but it might be a little tough. Tsubasa's never really done action scenes. I dunno if she can impress Tarachino in one take.

Oh no...

We might need to rethink our strategy...

From here, we'd get kicked out to go get the action performa. But if we came back...

So you're finally here, Oribe! You think you can show me some drat action this time? Somethin' that GRABS me!?

Y-Yes, sir! I... hope it's okay with you...

You HOPE it's "okay"!? You walk onto my set with a half-assed commitment like that!? Don't waste my drat time!

Y-Yes, sir! I'll make you proud!

Good! Glad to hear it! Now, go get your costume on, quick!

Get ready... All right! ACTION!

Kshaaahh!

Shrrguaaaah!

Guaaaaarrrrrrrh!

B-Bring it...! ...Hyah...!

...What? He didn't go down...? But when Touma did the same thing-

KSHAAAAHH!

Eeeeek!

Cut! Cut! CUT! What's wrong with your moves!? You gotta be fluid! Sharp! Deadly!

Wh-What?

Not only that! You aren't even steady with your action either! Makes you look totally indecisive!

Action is part of your acting! Don't forget that you gotta grab the hearts of your whole audience! We're taking it from the top!

Ugh... Nooo...

:allears:

Anyway, from here we get kicked out and it's time to plan our next move.

So, about how Tsubasa can get the director's approval... Speak up. Anyone have any opinions or ideas on the matter?

...Wow. Who died and made you boss?

Well, of course! When it comes to action, I'm the professional here.

...We need to look at the situation correctly. Touma, why don't you analyze Tsubasa from an action expert's perspective?

Well, I haven't exactly seen her in action, so it might not be too accurate... but I think she's got a good grasp of the moves.

-------

> Even though she's an amateur?

Even though Tsubasa isn't an action actor?

Yeah. Suppose the battling against Mirages is working as good training for her.

> So Tsubasa is gifted?

So you mean Tsubasa is gifted with the talent already?

Wh-What? All this time... I had my true talent locked inside me!

Uh... well, sorry, no. Not what I meant.

You've been battling a lot of Mirages lately, right? So I assumed you'd probably have picked up a couple tricks for intense action by now. Just my two cents.

-------

So you mean... I could move just like Touma? Then maybe I can finally make the director happy...

Hey, it's not impossible. Just... really, really difficult. For an eccentric like that, you gotta put your whole heart and soul into it. In my experience, he won't settle for less.

Tarachino is the kind of director who won't settle for second best. Ordinary, everyday action moves aren't gonna cut it for him. That's Hollywood standards for you.

...Oh...

D-Don't lose hope, Tsubasa!

Touma, as an action actor, what did you think of Tsubasa's moves?

Just like he said. She didn't have confidence, it made her uneasy, and that was showing up in her moves.

Ugh... Y-You're right... Sorry to disappoint you, Touma. After all you've done to help me...

Well, let's just accept the failure now and focus on how we can refine your moves. Tsubasa, you fight against Mirages just fine from what I've seen. So you've already got a solid grounding...

-------

> You mean it?

She was barely holding it together... But you really mean it?

Yeah. The problem is the resolve.

> Why it didn't work out?

I see... Then why didn't it work out this time?

My guess is... The real problem is her resolve...

-------

Do you think the director will give me his approval once I have the resolve?

You're only stepping on the starting line to get the things in motion. But that doesn't mean you can satisfy him that easy.

I wasn't even on the starting line yet...

It's no time to be feeling down, Tsubasa. That director is focusing on the action. It's hard to please a guy like him.

Not only the action part. That director has his own firm vision on how acting should be at all.

I can understand that now... He told me my characterization was halfhearted... and so ordinary that it was boring...

Any director would have said that to you. Even I felt it.

Ugh...

...I guess we need to understand the director's tastes...

You're right. We should investigate that.

Then, you should ask the movie staff. I heard the director has always been working with the same staff members.

It's not really clear what "the movie" is supposed to be because I don't think Tarachino's back catalogue is ever really expanded upon in-game. But either way, we need to have a chat with some of his staff. Ask around, and eventually we get pointed a book called "Life is an Action Film," which is apparently hanging around somewhere on set, probably in Tarachino's office.

Do you think there's a hint inside it?

...Let's read through it.

Wait, wait, WAIT! Lemme check it out too! This book is blazing hot...! It has awoken a fire in my soul!

...Oh? The next page is totally worn out...

It's been read over and over again, I think. And this section has a different writing style.

Lemme see... Of course, the writing style is different...! It's by Eijiro Aoki himself, and he's talking about his feelings when he faces the enemy!

Eijiro Aoki...

Hmhm... You must display polished action that illuminates the screen. But that's not all... You must imagine the enemy's life story.

Wait, their life story?

Yeah, that's what it says. How did this enemy lead his life so far? And how will his life story be changed after I defeat him? And you must solidify your resolve through grueling action. Only then will you be granted the true resolve to punish your enemies.

He's great... Eijiro Aoki is truly incredible! This is a sacred scripture for any actor who wants to learn the soul of action! Don't you agree, Itsuki?

------

> I agree.

Yeah, I agree. Eijiro Aoki puts his whole soul in his approach to his characters, and how he breathes life into action...

It's almost terrifying,

Same here. What's written in this book is... the uncensored life of a truly passionate actor.

> You think so?

You think so? The book contains only the way of acting Eijiro Aoki popularized, right?

You don't understand! You don't understand it at all, Itsuki!

I just never thought of my enemy characters... I only thought about myself...But the resolve to defeat the enemy's life itself! That's the acting of Eijiro Aoki! That's the true essence of action!

------

Mr. Aoki's action acting...

What is it, Tsubasa...?

I didn't know anything about my enemy characters. Not only that, I didn't even understand how Maho lives her life...

I only thought of not losing. That's all I had in mind. But Maho doesn't think like that. What I had missed was the resolve to become Maho. And the resolve to defeat the soul of her enemies!

And from here Tsubasa gets the Performa she needs.

My Performa...

And there's that resolve we were lookin' for.

Yeah, my attitude toward action... that's what the director really cared about! I will become Maho by understanding her life... and defeat her enemy with their life story in mind!

That's the spirit, Tsubasa! I got nothing more to teach you... Show Tarachino your resolve, and he's bound to let you go on!

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Is this all unused stuff inside of the game files?
If the cut content is all like this I can see why they didn't use it since it would have made the chapter very repetitive especially with having to go through a different door each time you revisit the dungeon. The "get performa, go to bloom palace and do radiant unity, go back" thing gets repetitive enough being used in every side story in the game and several times in the main story.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Item Getter posted:

Is this all unused stuff inside of the game files?
If the cut content is all like this I can see why they didn't use it since it would have made the chapter very repetitive especially with having to go through a different door each time you revisit the dungeon. The "get performa, go to bloom palace and do radiant unity, go back" thing gets repetitive enough being used in every side story in the game and several times in the main story.

Yeah there's a bunch of unused stuff in the game's script files that was just left in. For another example that I don't remember if Artix brought up or not, that scene where Yashiro shows up at the lesson studio in Chapter 2 was duplicated for Chapter 1 in roughly the same place where Kiria does the same thing, so Yashiro's scene might have been originally intended to be a little earlier.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So, last time we explored the action scene with Tsubasa, and obviously we already know about the hostage situation. But now, we come to the conclusion of the chapter. The previous one was maybe a bit extraneous, but you could see why it might have been included. This one...there is no such defense for. It would have absolutely broken the flow of the game in an awful way, and that makes me sadder than you can imagine for reasons that will be very obvious. Let's jump to the finale.

There he is! Director, you have to come to your senses...!

My SENSES? You think I'm insane!? I am an ARTIST! Insane is my NORMAL! Can't create art without a little insanity! Time to get on with the show, Oribe!

Sir...

Just like we thought. Looks like we have to finish the scene so he'll be satisfied...

You know, Oribe, I'm actually drat impressed. You were CRAP! A complete amateur! But you made it this far! For all your hard work... I'm adding a scene for the perfect ending! Listen up, 'cause I'm only explaining once!

Maho finally chases down the true culprit! However... the mastermind turns out to be... her lover! Maho is torn! Two lovers, now enemies! Detective and criminal! They embrace in tears... and share one final kiss...! Now THAT'S a drat climax! MAXIMUM EMOTION EXPLOSIONS!

Wha- A-A-A... k-k-kiss!?

That's right! A kiss! A locking of lips! An exchange of raw passion! As for who's gonna play the criminal lover, hokay, let's see here...

Here's our leading man!

Uh- Me...?

M-Me... k-k-kissing... I-I-Itsuki... U-U-Uhhh...

The hell's wrong with you now!? What, you can't even do a kiss scene!? And you call yourself an artist!? I knew you weren't right for the part! A professional actor could handle romance scenes, no problem!

I... I can do it! Itsuki... a-are you okay with this?

...So what's it gonna be, Itsuki? Will you actually... kiss... Tsubasa?

Weeell, this is quite an interesting development. If you don't want to, Itsuki, I can always take your place.

Come on, man, am I really going to have to take the wheel here?

No... I'll do it.

Itsuki...

Wait, do you even know the lines?

Yeah, I'll be fine. I may just be an extra, but I'm still part of the show. I figured I'd memorize the lines. ...I guess I should thank Tsurugi for his advice.

Hm?

It's nothing.

Quiet on the set! Let's get those cameras rolling!

As before, we need a performa to do the scene properly. But we could try! I'm sure these two masters of romance would knock it out of the park.

Get ready! And... start!

This is it... We're going to lose each other... aren't we?

Looks like... Our paths have drifted too far apart.

I really did... love you.

Even after you know what I really am?

Whatever you really are... the precious time that I spent together with you won't change. But... this is where it ends...

No! No! I can't do this!

Whoa!?

...I just can't do this! I-It's just not right! We need to take the proper steps for this! I'm sure this is against school regulations too!

Cuuuuuuuut! You idiot! It doesn't matter if it's wrong or right in front of the camera! That's what drama is all about!

Stay in character, Oribe! You're Maho! And that guy you're talking to is Maho's lover!

But...

No buts! You got to convince that amateur that he's Maho's lover with your acting. You got that!

Convince him that he's my lover...

We're redoing that scene! Get yourself together first!

Well that went about as well as expected. Anyway, from here the game takes a bit of a swerve. Tsubasa certainly doesn't have everything down herself, but the gang comes to the conclusion that Itsuki is the problem here and needs to do his part to maintain the romantic mood. Naturally, they do this in the most delicate manner possible - ruthlessly dunking on him for three straight scenes.

*Sigh* How can I make it work...?

Simple, Tsubasa and Itsuki have gotta act more like serious lovers.

That'll work for the looks of it. But I'd say the true cause of this problem isn't with Tsubasa...

Huh? What do you mean by that?

It's a simple matter... but hard to fix.

You're right. I think so too.

I understand too... somewhat...

Even Mamori can see it...? I got no idea what they're talking about. Do you get it, Itsuki?

Is it... my fault...?

*sigh* Men.

Maybe we should consult Ms. Maiko. She may have a different perspective, being older than us.

You're right... Maiko may know something we don't.

Lord, does she ever, Itsuki. Back to the office...

...That's what happened.

Hmhm... I see.

I think it'd work if we can put more, uh, intimate distance between the two...?

"Intimate distance," Touma? But I'm sure Tsubasa already knows the feelings of a girl in love...

...Oh.

And she's getting the hang of the role now. So if the problem's with the one who hurt Maho's heart... I guess that'd be Itsuki.

B-But the director told me to make Itsuki feel the emotion in his heart through my own acting...

Yeah... About that... Since you're acting with Itsuki now, why don't you two try getting in the right mood with each other?

Each other...?

That's right. What I'm trying to say is... Itsuki should lead Tsubasa, and uphold the romantic mood himself!

...M-Mood...?

Oh, the mood is the most important thing! You can't kiss a person if they're not feeling the romance in the air.

Uhm... I-Is that so?

If Tsubasa can understand the feeling of a girl in love... Then I guess so...

*Sigh*

*Sigh*

*Sigh*

*Sigh*

*Sigh*

It seems we're going to need drastic measures to prepare this obtuse young man...

I told you! This isn't gonna be easy!

I can kinda understand too!

...I'm so sorry for all this, Tsubasa...

No, don't worry about it. But what should we do now?

I guess we have no other choice but to bring you two into the Love Lesson!

...The Love Lesson...?

Yeah! A heart pounding Love Lesson!

The worldly and experienced Ms. Maiko will dramatically teach you the true hearts of girls!

And what kind of lesson does Maiko have planned? Why, it's a little role play! ...With a lot of :yikes: but that's neither here nor there.

What's up, Itsuki? Why have you called me into the classroom at this hour? You should be heading home now.

Ah? ...M-Maiko...?

Hey, Itsuki! We promised, didn't we? In school, we are a teacher and a student. No more. So call me Ms. Maiko, like usual. If someone heard you talking to me with that kind of tone, they'd start getting suspicious.

I-I will watch out, Mai...Miss Maiko.

Thank you. Well, if there's nothing, I should head back to the faculty room...

I didn't necessarily need anything, but... I just wanted to talk to you for a bit... Sorry...

Hmhm... No need to be sorry. I wanted to talk to you as well.

Oh... You too? That's a relief...

Of course! We see each other in school every day, but never get a chance to talk alone, do we? Not to mention dating... We can't fully enjoy it since we always have to worry about anyone we know seeing us...

------

> Should we go far away?

Then, should we travel far away? If we do that, we're less likely to be seen by anyone we know.

I wish we could... Even if it's every once in a while, I wouldn't mind...

> Don't let it get to you.

You can't afford to let it get to you. Let's have a date without worrying about it.

------

You may be right... Itsuki, you're a smart boy! You've earned yourself some headpats.

Oh, don't treat me like a kid...

Oh, sorry, I couldn't help myself. The thought of the two of us going somewhere together made me excited. But you wouldn't have to go through such ordeals if you dated a girl your age, Itsuki... You could go out after school.

What are you saying...! I love Ms. Mai- no, Maiko... So I'm okay as we are. Please don't worry about me.

Good grief... For such a young guy, you sure do come out with some manly things now and then.

Well then, I guess you're ready to take me out on a date now, huh?

W-Well... That's... Uh... I'll do my best...

Hmhm... I'll look forward to it. Don't let me down, Itsuki.

I...don't think that actually helped? Sure, if you insist, game.

Okay! That's it for my heart-pounding lesson in the art of love! Now tell me, Itsuki. Do you understand the heart of a girl now? Have I gotten through to you?

Thanks to Maiko, I learned a lot about how women think.

Glad to hear it was such a big success! I'm counting on you to show me the fruits of our labor now.

...Itsuki...

Don't worry, Tsubasa... I'll do my best to match your acting, and play the part of your lover.

Itsuki... You're...!

And so we get Itsuki's performa. Truly, he is a master of all things romantic now.

Yes! Yes! That Tarachino's never going to know what hit him!

All right! Tsubasa and I are lovers, as of this moment!

I-Itsuki and I a-are l-l-l-lovers!?

Umm... I, uhhh...! T-Till p-p-peath do us...d-d-dart... th-thank you mery v-vuch!

...? Wh-Why are you so worked up?

S-Sorry... M-My mind went blank with the heart-pounding... I-I too will steel myself, Itsuki... Yes, I will...!

Uh...? Sure, let's act well together. We'll do just fine.

And so my idiot child strikes again. :allears: That poor girl deserves so much better, but next time, we're headed for Intermission 4 and a double feature! See you then.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I know what they’re getting at with Itsuki, but since Tsubasa never really seemed that interesting I thought it was better to assume that Itsuki was playing dumb while he flirted with the hot blonde and goth chicks under her nose. Made much of the game so much more tolerable.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
We love our idiot children in this LP thread :allears:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Shei-kun posted:

We love our idiot children in this LP thread :allears:

That we do :allears:

Playing a lot of jrpgs in my formative years has given me a weakness for couples that are the densest motherfuckers on the planet, I guess.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

quote:

Itsuki! You've been working so hard lately! So as a reward, I've got a mission for you! This is going to be your fourth one!
The lesson this time is... Well, it'll be really awesome, you know? What do you tink it could be...?
But... I wont' give it away that easily. It's our little secret. <3
It'll be at Uzume Lesson Studio, as usual. Stop by whenever you have a moment.
Make sure you give it your all!

So welcome to yet another intermission. Suppose we should start with the obvious, yeah?

Yashiro Tsurugi.
Represented by
Fortuna Entertainment.

quote:

Aoi, I presume? It's me. If there is anything you need, contact me here. I plan on doing the same.
That is all.

Everyone's favorite edgelord rounds out our party, and you can tell how excited he is to be by the fact that his signature is literaly just "YT". What a guy, that Yashiro.

As a combat unit, Yashiro is about what you'd expect him to be. From his skills, he comes with an assortment of stat boosts and Quick Step to offset his surprisingly low speed given that he is our token Myrmidon, but otherwise he offers a selection of fire and sword skills, with a few wind skills coming in later down the line.

Anyway there are a lot of side quest markers on the screen, and there's going to be another one in just a minute, but Maiko has an extremely important conversation for us. Let's check in with her first.

What's the matter, Ms. Maiko? You look like something's on your mind.

Yashiro just joined Fortuna, right? The two biggest faces in the industry have finally joined forces! This seems like the perfect chance for a collaboration!

What!?

Two titanic talents collide on stage and the battle for ultimate glory will rage with the audience on the edge of their seats! Will it end in destruction!? Or the birth of a brand new era of entertainment!?

Uh...

Oh, I'm a genius! Doesn't it sound amazing!? What do you think?

Well, I guess I'd go see something like that...

Right? RIGHT!? I'll call Yashiro and Kiria immediate and tell them all about it!

So with that little aside, we've unlocked the final mechanic for sessions: Duo Arts. We'll do a deeper dive into them later, but for now, just put a pin in that. All that's important is that we have one now.

And since we're here, let's go see Tiki. I'm sure bringing Yashiro back here won't be awkward in the slightest.

He's my long-lost younger brother!

Really!?

Yeah, it's been 15 years since I saw him last.

Wow! I'm so glad you found each other!

I love our gullible dragon daughter. :allears:

Guys, stop screwing around! We have stuff to do!

Hm? None of what I said was untrue...

*Sigh* You know what, just forget it.

Tiki, that whole brother thing was just a joke... but Yashiro really is on our side now.

Oh, so he's gonna be fighting together with us now! That's really good news!

So you really don't... No, never mind. I apologize for my behavior previously. It would be my pleasure to join you.

Thanks!

:buddy:

Anyway while we're here, let's get our carnages caught up and unlock all of Yashiro's skills and

...You ever get a text you know you're going to regret reading? Let's put this off as long as possible and check in with Navarre instead.

There was something I wante dto ask you about Yashiro.

...So? Your question?

I wanted to know why he suddenly chose to join us. I think it helped that we beat that mirage on Tarachino, but...

Yashiro doesn't really like talking about himself.

He seemed to have some interest in you.

Wait, what?

I don't really feel like I was exactly guiding anyone... I mean, everyone's helped me out a lot, too.

Yashiro was surrised to see how you improved Tsubasa Oribe's acting, despite her being an utter novice. Thus, he tested you, and you proved your might to him. Your strength was unlike any he'd experienced before.

And that's why he came to Fortuna...?

You have the right of it. He accepted that your ways have merit and thus found new possibilities in himself.

Well? Is your curiosity sated?

Yeah, thanks.

You might be right...

Understatement of the century there, Itsuki.

quote:

Navarre is a mercenary that you recruit early on in Shadow Dragon, and is mostly notable for being the first enemy character you have to talk to in order to add them to your army. The man himself is a non-character, although they do something cute with him in Mystery of the Emblem where someone pretends to be him, and when you recruit "Navarre" you end up with some other rando that you'll probably just feed to the wolves.

Anyway, "Navarre" is more of a role than an actual character - The Navarre™ of any given game is a character that A) starts as an enemy and must be recruited via conversation, B) is usually (but not always) a myrmidon, almost always holding an extremely dangerous weapon (usually a Killing Edge), and C) has to be recruited with a character that really shouldn't be anywhere near the front lines (healers, thieves, etc). Not every example of the archetype fits it to a tee, but it's extremely obvious when you see it - Guy, Rutger, Joshua, Zihark, and so on.

Anyway, Unity.

Class change!

Radiant skills! Running down the line here, Riberaon makes Rare and Savage enemies more likely to spawn, Vendetta makes counterattacks always critical hits, HP Fitness/Endless Act are the same as ever, and Vengeance increases the damage done via counters and repels. Let no one say the man does not stick to his gimmick.

And where we're here, some new carnages. Demon's Rod is the first Sorceror-exclusive staff, coming with Null Confuse and Zandyne, while Yashiro largely has a selection of upgrades to skills he comes with by default, although Focused Blade is nothing to sneeze at (Tier 3 Sword damage).

And yes, his default sword is a Killing Edge. What else did you expect it to be? :allears:

One last thing for the road, we're going to get rid of his terrible noodle arm costume forever and replace it with his much better Black Rain one.

Anyway it turns out we have uh...a little work to do here. Don't forget that Kiria and Tsubasa both also have an active sidequest, so we could be here a while. Let's start with Maiko, since hers is the least involved.

quote:

Heeeeyyy there babe. I've got a teensy favor to ask. Is that okay? <3 I want you to come to the office.

...Can we not? :sigh: Okay, fine.

Sure.

:siren:Lost Memories (yes, all of it) :siren:

Yup, I sure am! Eheheheheheheh! But it's only a teensy bit, so no worries!

Okay, so what do you need me to do?

The first letter I got... goes in a bonfire. The matching rings... to the ocean floor. But where do I put my broken heart...?

Wh-What in the world is she saying...?

Aaaaand... Itsuki, your hands should go... here.

I'm not going to dignify that with a screenshot, you all know *exactly* what she did here.

May I leave?

:same:

Sorry, it's a joke! I'm just joking! Please don't leave!

Sheesh...

Anyway sure enough, there's a box sitting on the floor now. Examining it will launch us into the uh...I guess this technically counts as a sidequest? You'll see.

We might as well start from the top and work our way down, yeah?

Ooh, I haven't seen that in ages. This was when Touma went overboard on a gig as an extra.

What do you mean?

He was supposed to be an extra, but he was all, "I'm gonna take over the lead!" and stood out so much... In the end, all the scenes with him in them were cut. We got complaints from the company too...

Haha, that sounds like him.

Yes indeed... Well, that's both the bad and good about Touma. He's been working much harder compared to before. He might be on fire because you've joined the agency too.

Itsuki put the personnel documents away on the filing shelf...

Ooh, that's from when Kiria made her debut! She was so sensitive around that time. ...Well, she still is. Anyway, she never cracked a smile at all.

Really?

But ever since you all joined, her expression's softened quite a lot. I wonder if it's because she has adorable younglings under her now. Tee hee! Perhaps Kiria's grown up too...

Itsuki put away the debut CD onto the CD rack...

Wow, now THAT brings back memories! This is the magazine that Ellie appeared in for the first time. She only had a side role in a TV drama, but there was a tiny picture of her in that show's article.

Huh.

It gets funnier from there! So, I came to the office that day, and I found that magazine sitting on the table. On top of that, it's open to the page of that article. And guess what? Ellie says in this nonchalant way, "You forgot this."

I can imagine.

Seriously, it was so cute. She gets the short end of the stick sometimes because she looks fierce, but she really is a good girl.

Itsuki put away the Tele-V on the magazine rack...

Ooh! That right there is the sample version of "Tiki"!

A sample?

Mm-hm. I remember having Tharja do the programming for it.

Oh right. Tiki maintains her form with the Performa that's created from the songs made from this program...

That's right. Everything started that day when I met Tiki...

It was right after that day I had way too much to drink. When I saw that Tiki was see-through and about to vanish, I thought she was a fairy that only drunk people could see...

That doesn't sound dramatic at all...

I've been with her for five years now. That girl hasn't changed at all. Ugh... Isn't there any way for me to become a virtual idol too?

Itsuki put away the Uta-loid software under the trophy shelving...

And now that we've put everything away, the finale.

Ahhhhhhhhh! There it is! I've been looking for that!

Aw, it's a photo album of us. :unsmith:

I guess you could call it... the footsteps since the founding of Fortuna Entertainment.

Many photos of Itsuki's friends at Fortuna line the album... Recent pages have pictures of Touma, Tsubasa, and Itsuki too...

Everyone looks like they're having fun.

This is like an energy boost for me. I gaze at it when times are tough. I can't believe it's already been five years...

If I were to give a reason... I guess it'd be because of my sense of duty.

What do you mean?

I felt that I had to fight to save this world.

When that incident occurred five years ago, I met Tiki... which in turn lead to the creation of Fortuna. I've been frantically gathering Masters since then.

So I see.

I'll admit there were times I was depressed because I couldn't quite give up my original career. But as I continued to watch over all the other talent, I began to think differently.

I thought, rather than me take the spotlight, I want these children to shine brighter; I want to take them to the top. That's why I'm proud of the work I do now.

What is this? Is this your special skill to make people talk? Pretty impressive considering how young you are. I know! I'm going to give you something nice to thank you for your work today, Itsuki.

Tadaaaah! This is a rare item that you can't buy anymore!

Are you done with modeling?

Hmm... I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't want to do it again. You know, this was planned as a trilogy, but I retired before the last book was shot. It was supposed to be in Guam.

I guess I could say that that's my only regret... Haha, just kidding. Right now, I feel that my purpose in life is to watch over all of you as president of this company, so don't worry about it.

I see.

Hehehe, you're such a good listener that I think I spoke too much... Well then, thank you for today! If anything comes up again, I'll ask for your help.

We...did it? :confuoot:

Maiko Shimazaki has becomes "Team Mom" thanks to Itsuki's influence! She acquired the backup skill Organizational Skills!

Organizational Skills is extremely good! It increases the amount of items you can carry by 25% across the board, as if having access to 40 revival items and full heals wasn't good enough.

Anyway one down, seven to go as we make our way through the Intermission 4 web. Next time, it's a lesson with Barry!

Artix fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 15, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

oh my god he even has heterochromia :cripes:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know what, "Team Mom" suits Maiko.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I like the fact that Tharja's the one who programmed the UTA-LOID software so Tiki could manifest.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Glad we've collected our edgy sword boys at last
At the beginning of this LP I was hoping edgy boy's FE character was going to be Innes (before I saw it was all awakening and FE 1) but this is also good.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

That sidequest was nice. I don't know why you're so negative about it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

1234567890num posted:

That sidequest was nice. I don't know why you're so negative about it.

It might have something to do with the drunk adult creeping on the high school student at the beginning of it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

capitaldelendaest posted:

Glad we've collected our edgy sword boys at last

SPEAKING OF OUR EDGY BOYS I definitely did not forget to post this yesterday

quote:

Navarre is a mercenary that you recruit early on in Shadow Dragon, and is mostly notable for being the first enemy character you have to talk to in order to add them to your army. The man himself is a non-character, although they do something cute with him in Mystery of the Emblem where someone pretends to be him, and when you recruit "Navarre" you end up with some other rando that you'll probably just feed to the wolves.

Anyway, "Navarre" is more of a role than an actual character - The Navarre™ of any given game is a character that A) starts as an enemy and must be recruited via conversation, B) is usually (but not always) a myrmidon, almost always holding an extremely dangerous weapon (usually a Killing Edge), and C) has to be recruited with a character that really shouldn't be anywhere near the front lines (healers, thieves, etc). Not every example of the archetype fits it to a tee, but it's extremely obvious when you see it - Guy, Rutger, Joshua, Zihark, and so on.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I think Navarres traditionally have growths that favor Speed and Skill, so combined with their default Killing Edge, they're kitted up to be crit monsters. The other notable thing I can think of about Navarre is that the entire Myrmidon class is inspired by him; in FE1 and 3, he was a Mercenary, but he had a markedly different growth set than the other Mercenaries in that game, which spun off into its own class. Naturally, Navarre was made into a Myrm for the remakes of 1 and 3.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Be fair- Navarre has the personality trait of 'is a jerk' and 'doesn't want to kill women', one of which may have been added by Shadow Dragon lmao.
New Mystery tried by bouncing the dancer off him and getting some mileage from making him the straight man, but I guess there is only so much you can do with 'generic very serious wandering swordsman' as a personality. Karel is a better Navarre.

Of the named sword boys, Joshua is my favorite
Of the FE Edgy myrms (tm) I think it's Marisa
Apparently Sacred Stones just has a bunch of my faves!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

honestly it is a bit disappointing most of the FEs are FE1 given there's a lot of fan favorites in other games and same archetypes with personality.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shei-kun posted:

I like the fact that Tharja's the one who programmed the UTA-LOID software so Tiki could manifest.
Software developer Tharja is both an amazing and hilarious mental image. :allears:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
she would totally be fujoshi and have a fan artist Twitter with a gigantic following as a side gig too

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
This is gonna be a short one, largely on account of being yet another "do x sessions" sidequest but it does have one of the best AMVs so I guess it's a wash. :shrug:

Fortuna: Your source
for actors, dancers,
singers, new faces!

Well, we're done with one dysfunctional boss, on to the next one. Take it away, Barry!

quote:

Itsuki, I need you to come to the lesson studio! Got something I need to discuss with you. You got that!?

Well that wasn't very instructional, but at least this is gonna be an easy one. To the lesson studio!

:stare: Well that took a turn.

Still though...it's just Barry. How bad could it be?

:siren: Troublesome Duo, Part 1 :siren:

Eep!

What brought this on all of a sudden? And more importantly, why me and Tsubasa?

About that...

Huuuh!?

After all, we have two cute and spunky high-school girls. Wouldn't it be a waste to let them play hooky all day?

We're not playing around!

Silliness aside, I thought you two would make a great team. Really.

...I-I'll do it, ma'am! This idol duo... Let's make it happen!

Good. That's what I like to hear. How about you, Ellie?

I'll do it. ...I don't want to lose to Tsubasa.

Then it's settled! I have high hopes for you two. Well then, Barry... they're all yours!

Acknowledged.

Boot camp...?

Cut the chitchat, ya phony-rear end Hollywood wannabe!

W-Wannabe!?

Ya'll better shut up and get ready for some marine corps-style training from hell! Now, hurry up and go warm up!

Warm up... how exactly?

First, you must be able to synchronize with your partner. It's important to know you can trust your back to her. Let me see... A light trip to the Idolasphere will do nicely.

Um... what about me?

You're going too, rookie! Why'd you think I called you here!? Huh!? I'll send the specifics of your training over Topic.

So...yeah, there's not a lot to this. I'll let Barry cover the specifics but I'm sure you can already guess where this is going.

quote:

FELLOW NEW RECRUITS! I WILL NOW HAVE YOU TO THE IDOLASPHERE AT DAITOU TV STATION!
TEN SESSIONS!
ELEONORA AND TSUBASA MUST PULL OFF TEN SESSIONS!
THAT'S ONE-ZERO. YOU GOT THAT!? DO NOT RETURN UNTIL YOU DO EVERY LAST ONE! GOOD LUCK!

...Yeah, what he said. There wasn't much to say about this quest before we did it five times and there's still more blood to be drawn from that stone so away we go. If it's worth anything, at least Barry's iteration of this particular quest has substantially more interesting commentary than usual? Like, once we get to the idolasphere:

quote:

HEY! LAZY BOY! ITSUKI! I'LL BE COUNTING ELEONORA AND TSUBASA'S SESSIONS!
KEEP AN EYE ON THOSE TWO SO THEY DON'T SLACK OFF!
Counting? Are you watching from somewhere, Barry?
WHEN ONE HAS A GOOD GRASP ON NEW RECRUITS' SKILLS, ONE CAN FOLLOW THEM MENTALLY!
NOW ENOUGH QUESTIONS AND HURRY UP WITH THE TRAINING!

It's...not nothing, I guess? See also, the actual counting scenes, which is usually just a flat "That's 3 big bro!" from Tiki:

quote:

SHOULD BE TIME YOU DID ONE SESSION. THE GOAL IS TO GRASP EACH OTHER'S TIMING!

or, if you prefer:

quote:

SHOULD BE TIME YOU DID FOUR SESSIONS. A DECREASE IN FOCUS IS A DECREASE IN ANIME QUALITY!

At some point in this mess we got Fire Resist on Tsubasa. It's not nothing!

quote:

THEY'RE AT TEN SESSIONS NOW? THANKS FOR THE ASSIST, TIKI! YOU'RE A MIRACLE IN 2D AND 3D!
OH... OOPS... HAHA! WRONG WINDOW! WHAT A NUB MISTAKE!
Whaaaat? You were asking Tiki? That's just cheating... What a waste, being impressed with you...
SHUDDUP, HOLLYWANNABE! YOU'RE AN ACTOR, YET YOU DON'T KNOW THE IMPORTANCE OF DIRECTION!
HOLLYWANNABE!!!???
THAT ASIDE, HOW'D IT GO? CAN YOU READ EACH OTHER'S TIMING A LITTLE BETTER NOW?
Yes! Perfectly! o7
VERY GOODMAN!
TRUE SKILLS CAN ONLY BE GAINED BY STRUGLING THROUGH ACTUAL BATTLES.
Hollywannabe... : (((
AWRIGHT, LET'S FINISH UP THIS TRAINING FROM HELL! COME BACK TO THE LESSON STUDIO!
Got it.

You don't have to tell me twice. Get me the gently caress out of here, Barry.

okay you can drop the act now it wasn't funny earlier either

:siren: Troublesome Duo, Part 2 :siren:

...Let's do this, Tsubasa!

...Yeah!

Commence the synchronized posing!

And so, the day of the duo's debut came...

:siren: :siren: :siren: Dream Catcher ~ Tsubasa Oribe & Eleonora Yumizuru (Full Song) :siren: :siren: :siren:

Lyrics posted:

In a dream, it's true, I'm crazy about you
But you're still far up above
I just want to see, but you're just out of reach
I need you, my lunar one true love

Out the window, I can see the stardust
Shining like a field of light
They're all signs leading me to you
Paths leading across the night
What's this feeling? There's just nothing like it
I'm floating across the sky
Shooting star passing next to me
Winking 'til we say goodbye

My alarm just won't let me be
Between dream and reality
Zero gravity

Hey, wait, I know, I just can't let you go
Stay with me a little longer, love
And I want to fly, but I can't even try,
Far beyond the sky above...
Please grant my wish
My lunar one true love

The path looked even, but when I tried to walk it
It was twisted and bumpy with no end in sight
Love and friendship are all a girl has
Now running out of memory, and just about to rupture

Just have to make it 'til morning
Each night filled with wild dreams
And then repeat

We can chase you 'til the dawn
Future shines for you, a gleaming golden hue
Love awaits a little further on
To you're other side above
Though I say it's hate, I just can't keep it straight

First a bustle then a sigh
Like a swing back and forth
If I could just get a little closer
Finally...

Make a wish on a star or two swimming by
As I reach out to touch the night sky
But it feels so far away
If I could travel to the moon, and float away
I might see the man in the moon smile
As he watches over me

Hey, wait, I know, I just can't let you go
Stay with me a little longer, love
Far beyond the sky above...
I need you, my one lunar one true love
Please grant my wish
My one lunar one true love

Actual lyrics! Will miracles never cease? Anyway, Dream Catcher both A) owns and B) is a really cool Splatoon homage. Besides the obvious Callie/Marie inspiration with the outfits, the melody is ripped straight out of Calamari Inkantation and the animation is slick as hell. A good song.

Thanks!

Hahaha...

I usually think of you being pretty... meh... but you can be pretty cool too sometimes, Barry.

Hah hah hah! I need no praise from some disappointing 3D girl with a 2D chest!

:thurman:

I'd rather you show your sincerity by getting me a second-season box set of "Dia Witch Iroha." Signed, of course!

Huh... On second thought, I take back what I said.

Ahaha...

After all, nothing beats Dia Witch! Not even idols! 2D for life!

Yeeeeeeaaaaaah!

:confuoot:

Barry Goodman has become "Drill Sergeant" thanks to Itsuki's influence! Barry acquired the backup skill One More Mastery!

This is also an unexciting but very good skill, in that it provides a flat boost to weapon experience earned. Considering how many of those we're gonna hve to grind through, we'll take every boost we can.

This, however, is the real prize. Once again, just put in a pin in that one, we're gonna talk about them real soon. But next time...

Next time, Itsuki achieves the impossible: A second date. See you then!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Dream Catcher might legit be my favorite track from this game. Its just so catchy! The Duo Art is wonderful too, but that'll be a little ways off from now, I think.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The Dream Catcher duo art is my favorite too! I love the costumes for it as well. They reminded me of Callie and Marie, from Splatoon. The song even sounds a bit like one of their songs!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah Dream Catcher is great. Definitely my favorite song in this game.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

the hollywannabe texts are probably my favorites in the game :allears:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It feels like it's been way longer than a week, but hey, update tomorrow. We're gonna shatter what little balance the game had left!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

I watch season 2
daily. "Dia witch"
is my happy place.

It sure is, Barry. It sure is.

Anyway, our next sidequest is one I like the premise of much more than the actual execution, but I suppose that's what a lot of Ellie's stuff tends to be. Take it away, girl.

quote:

Thanks for helping me out before. Maybe it's a little late, but do you want to go see a movie? My treat!
Just come by the classroom film set.

Could it be? Has Itsuki of all people managed not a first, but a second date? They grow up so fast! :unsmith:

Nothing's changed on the overworld, so off to the film set we go. We can't be late for something so important.

W O W. No romance at all in this room. And here I thought she spent an entire season playing a girl in love with the idea of love itself.

:siren: Princess of Horror, Part 1 :siren:

"Evil Ball of the Dead IV."

A horror flick, huh? You're okay with that kind of stuff, Ellie?

I might as well come clean now... Actually, I can't handle films like these.

But why choose a horror film if you can't handle it?

Remember that drama I was in the other day? "Dandelion in Love"? They're doing a sudden genre shift with the series. I guess the sponsors demanded it? In the next episode, it'll become a horror show called "Bloody Amaryllis." The showrunner's been changed too. Kuen Tarachino will be taking the reins this time.

That is...definitely a change in genre, yes. I'm sure there are actual examples of shows that have changed dramatically like that mid-season, but I would struggle to come up with one off-hand, let alone one that pulled something like this off. I'm happy to be proven wrong if you can name one, though!

Isn't the whole thing a terrible idea? They're ignoring all consistency with the story! The role of the girl who's in love with the idea of romance is being turned into a girl who's just monster food.

That makes no sense at all

That's why I thought I should watch some horror flicks. It'll give me a chance to study up on reactions too.

So that's why you asked me to come along.

On that note, how are you with stuff like this, Itsuki?

Totally fine.

Come on now...

Anyway, let's go in. My mind's already made up.

I'll give her points for willingly going to see something she doesn't typically like. It is good to broaden one's horizons, after all. As for the actual movie, though...

Well, it goes about as well as you'd expect.

Huh? Oh. Hrrm...

I mean, it was scary... and I did walk away with some new knowledge... But I couldn't really focus during the film.

Oh...

Have you ever been around someone who's so into something that it kills your interest? It kind of felt like that.

True, the crowd's reaction was pretty intense...

I was so distracted that I couldn't focus on studying the horror movie. ...I wonder what I should do now.

Somewhere scary? But where would I- ...Oh!

I know! The Idolasphere! I could experience a real horror there that would give movies a run for their money.

You have a point...

Hey, you should come with me! You can't back out now.

That should be my line, Ellie.

So no?

But it can't be helped. I'll join you.

Great! Thanks, Itsuki. I'll contact you later about where we'll do this.

I'm...not really sure where the back half of that conversation was going. Ellie's reacting like he told her no, but he was clearly telling her she had to see her idea through. But sure, what do you have in mind, Ellie?

quote:

I talked to Virion about this and he suggested the Idolasphere at Daiba Studio.
Remember Regan, the enemy that looked like a ghost?
We're going to defeat them! My goal is six of them, got it?
All right.
All right, let's meet on location!

On the surface level, this is yet another "Kill [x] of [enemy]" mission and that's technically true? But at least they do something fun and interesting with this one.

:siren: Princess of Horror, Part 2 :siren:

Right.

B-By the way, Itsuki... doesn't it feel like it suddenly got cold in here?

'Tis only your imagination, my dear Ellie.

I-I see... Th-Then, let's get this started for real.

You're freaking out too much. Don't we come here on a normal basis?

I can't help it though... I'm usually not consciously aware of my surroundings...

Lord, forgive me for the things I must do. :allears:

Whatisitwhatisitwhatisit!? Wh-Why're you pointing something out!?

Is there something amiss about me standing here?

Go watch the video, it lingers on this shot for like, five full seconds. :allears:

Anyway, the bulk of this mission is exactly what you're expecting. Regans are, if nothing else, the most dangerous target of these hunt missions so far, although that's not saying much given the competition.

And hey, what's one more for the pile?

:siren: Princess of Horror, Part 3 :siren:

As we come to the end of the line, however, things get a little more...interesting.

Hah! Well, I'll take care of 'em, just like the rest! Watch my back, Itsuki!

Got it!

And now we have some much bigger boys to content with.

The Blairs are not fundamentally that much more dangerous than the Regans, they just have an extra ten levels of stats. While their resistances are not quite as generous to Itsuki and Yashiro, a solid session still drops them down to critical HP and they're still weak to Electric. Sure would be a shame if someone picked up Ziodyne right before the last boss, you know?

And hey, remember those pins I told you put up? Let's talk about Duo Arts now. They are, without exception, incredibly broken skills that pop up occasionally during your sessions, usually (but not always) as a choice between two different acts. You have until the end of the combo string to select which one you want to use, at which point two super important things happen.

The first, obviously, is the skill itself. You would think that would go without saying, but let's dive into what those little descriptions really mean. Dream Catcher calls it "Damage plus charm, with a great heal." What that actually means, is Megidolaon, Sexy Dance, and Mediaharan all rolled into one obscene bomb. And that's really loving good! Like, if that's all they did, they would be a fantastic way to add a bombastic finish to a session while also mechanically being really good skills. A lot like Ad-lib attacks, if you will.

Suffice to say, however, that is not all that they do.

Just in case you didn't think the above was good enough, let's consider the alternative here. Exhibition is a lot less impressive than Dream Catcher on paper - Maragidyne followed by an additional Agidyne at whomever the main target of the session is. Solid, to be sure, but nothing to write home about. However, the sharp-eyed among you will note that where Dream Catcher was an Almighty skill, Exhibition is a Fire skill. And here enters the second benefit of Duo Arts - they reset your session. Itsuki already attacked once? That's fine, he'll pick up from Exhibition with Fire-Slash and the chain will continue as if this was the first go around, complete with another (much lower) chance for a Duo Art. I've personally never gotten more than two in one session but it absolutely can happen and it is exactly as stupid as it sounds.

As with Ad-libs, you get a brief animation from the music video before moving on, although these are a bit more...indulgent, we'll say, for obvious reasons.

(Seriously watch the video for this fight)

We even get Resist Fire out of the deal. This is a harder choice than I expected, but Surefire has outlived its usefulness now that most of our characters have like, 60 skill.

So, are you used to this now?

Absolutely! I've gotten so used to this I'm already wondering what I should do next.

To master horror, you need the courage to face your fears! A perfect balance of tension! A strong heart to maintain your composure! And a deadly determination to shoot through your enemies!

Eleonora Yumizuru's soul as an entertainer has achieved a new awakening... Ellie's inspiration has taken form as a new Performa: Fearpiercer!

Shoot through your enemies? Wasn't your next role a high-school girl who's frightened of monsters?

I feel like you've reached a state of mind where you're a hunter of horrors instead... Will that do?

I-It'll be fine! I-I'll make it work!

I feel like we might have learned the wrong lesson from this one... But sure, let's roll with this. I'm sure it'll be fiiiiiiine.

The Door of Purging, eh? I'm sure we can work with this somehow.

:siren: Princess of Horror, Part 4 :siren:

To think your humble role would be rewritten as a hunter of horrors... and a leading role, no less.

Director Tarachino takes suggestions on set to heart, after all. I-I knew I could make it work all along.

Your skill in molding situations to your favor is most impressive, Ellie.

Thanks, Virion.

Well, that's rude. And what of it? Also, I'm not yours!

My dear Ellie, you are a tomboy, plain and simple. The polar opposite of ladylike conduct. Wouldn't you agree?

What do you mean "Wouldn't you agree"!?

Ah, your distress at the supernatural was the only remaining civility amongst your indelicate ways... Yet now, I daresay you freely hunt such apparitions, wearing a most bold smirk.

S-Smirk!? I don't do that!

Ah, but I must admit that your name does have an exquisite nobility to it. Eleonora... her ladyship!

Do you WANT me to slug you!? That doesn't make me feel better at all!

That sure is a conversation. Virion's insistence on Ellie being all proper and noble gets a bit...weird, as the game goes on.

Anyway there's a teaser here. It's okay, I guess.

But man, when you compare it to what it was before, the show is completely different with this shift in tone.

Kuen Tarachino is the showrunner, after all. Apparently my biracial features matched up well with a demihuman heroine.

That made me realize... I really do love acting. I may go through some inconveniences day after day because of my heritage, but when I'm in front of the camera, people just accept that fact about me.

You'll always be yourself, Ellie. And I'm pretty sure that Director Tarachino didn't choose you just because of your features.

True... He may be strict, but he doesn't make compromises like that.

And it doesn't matter whether you're on camera or not - I think you're charming, Ellie.

Itsuki... Yeah. Thank you...

Some day, he's gonna realize what he's doing to these poor girls. ...Or maybe he won't. Lord knows it seems to work well enough for Lloyd and Rean.

Rean knows exactly what he's doing

Where did you come from!?

She is so mad Maiko interrupted their little moment, I love these idiot kids.

Ah, that's right. You have a visitor.

Yumizuru, I'm here today because I have something to discuss with you.

What is it?

You're going to Hollywood with me!

Well, that's that. Make sure you give some thought on what you want to do, okay, Ellie?

That was uh...sudden?

Eleonora Yumizuru has grown as an entertainer and has become "Sassy Heroine"! She acquired the Special Performance Horror Hunter Angel!

This, on the other hand, is not. Just now becoming the sassy heroine? Step up your game, girl. :colbert:

Horror Hunter Angel is...okay, I guess. It's a single target HP/MP drain with charm thrown in for good measure. I guess you could do worse given that it's only 1 SP? Probably not much worse though.

Anyway, I was going to do Touma next, but Mamori inserted herself into the conversation, so I guess we're doing hers next. See you then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
There's just something wonderful about Ellie failing at learning how to be a Horror Victim so badly she became Buffy.