Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
We're already at that point, the only difference is whether we shoot back or just passively let ourselves get reduced to nuclear ash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

We're already at that point, the only difference is whether we shoot back or just passively let ourselves get reduced to nuclear ash.

One ME capital and an air force base on Cyprus is, while objectively horrifying and indefensible, in the context of Global Conflict not the same as nuking London, Paris, or Washington D.C.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

The reason Leningrad and Minsk were selected as potential targets for our strategic "warning shot" was mostly practical. Both contain important strategic targets and are large industrial bases for the Soviet war machine. They are both also much easier for French nuclear weapons to reach. The Force de Dissuasion would prefer to deliver the strike using aircraft, either by gravity bomb from our carriers or by Mirage 2000N strategic bombers using the ASMP missile. We would prefer to keep our land and sea based strategic warheads in reserve for the time being. It's a lot easier for our aircraft and cruise missiles to reach Leningrad or Minsk than Kiev or Moscow. The other element to be considered is we do want an intact political apparatus (as much as possible) to negotiate with. This strike is not the end of the world, just a warning of what could follow if the Soviets remain on their present disastrous course.

And just to be clear, this strategic strike is a purely French operation. While we appreciate the North Atlantic Council's willingness to approve such a strike, the ultimate authority will remain with the French government, and selection of target will be decided by French commanders.

We remain open to releasing a portion of our tactical warheads for NATO use. As the American saying goes, "all you have to do is ask".

sparkmaster fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 29, 2020

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Would the Russian command for the Baltic be more likely to be in Leningrad or Minsk? Because if it's in Leningrad that solidifies it as my choice.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

This government cannot bring itself to vote on any release of nuclear weapons on German soil. However.... *lowers voice* we can quietly abstain from choosing between Lighthouse and Vagabond II and leave the decision up to our allies.

Otherwise we condone Operation Sodom and strongly oppose the strategic nuclear attack against Minsk, or against any civilian-heavy location, period.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

The Hellenic Republic (Greece)

The Hellas government condemns the use of Soviet nuclear weaponry on the Greek island of Cyprus and demands a response. Clearly the Soviets must understand that we are willing and able to respond in kind, so our government supports Operation SODOM. We do, however, oppose Operation Vagabond II as the expansion of nuclear exchange into Europe would be a disaster of a scale well beyond that in Amman.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Yeah, from the outside so far this really feels like a scenario where your choices are "you lose" or "everyone loses", and you're just negotiating over the body count. :v:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, from the outside so far this really feels like a scenario where your choices are "you lose" or "everyone loses", and you're just negotiating over the body count. :v:

WWIII scenarios should be like this. In as much as a strategy game can have a moral, "The only winning move is not to play" should be it.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
OOC: This is such a daft move from the Soviets, honestly. They've got two forming breakthroughs in Germany, POMCUS sites aren't emptying fast enough to stop them and we're more-or-less unwilling to use tactical nuclear weapons first. And then they hit Amman and Akrotiri, which don't matter at all!

Although it's interesting to speculate about the differences in where we think Europe is and where they think Europe is from a Nuclear Release In Europe perspective.

IC:

One more for you:

o Operation Westminster
Commit any Portuguese and Spanish units that are not absolutely necessary to the defence of their homelands to the German battle.

or

o Operation Cadiz
Don't do that.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I don't quite get it either, but we can't expect them to think with total clarity and Lebanon is the only place they're clearly losing besides Albania.

Top Hats, I've got a question about this map:

What's the yellow triangle under the 2 victory point marker? Because if that's where the nuke went off, that's Dhekelia, not Akrotiri. Also, are there events or the like addressing what's happening in Asia?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
The AI went nuke-happy in the old LP too, I think it just doesn't see nukes as anything other than "a really strong attack" and to hell with the VP losses or retaliation. Maybe increasing the point penalties for NBC use would affect its decisions? I don't know how the AI works in this game.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Which old LP is that, Arctic Light?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Who said I’m up against AI this time?

Kavak posted:

I don't quite get it either, but we can't expect them to think with total clarity and Lebanon is the only place they're clearly losing besides Albania.

Top Hats, I've got a question about this map:

What's the yellow triangle under the 2 victory point marker? Because if that's where the nuke went off, that's Dhekelia, not Akrotiri. Also, are there events or the like addressing what's happening in Asia?

Wow I’m a moron and switched them in my head. The yellow triangle is a radioactive symbol. No events for Asia at thats a separate scenario

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Those are some powerful Turkish units that could be better used in Syria or Thrace. Are they only unlocked if Cyprus gets invaded?

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 29, 2020

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

overmind2000 posted:

Those are some powerful Turkish units that could be better used in Syria or Thrace. Are they only unlocked if Cyprus gets invaded.

A very realistic simulation of Turkish Cypriot policy

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

FrangibleCover posted:

o Operation Westminster
Commit any Portuguese and Spanish units that are not absolutely necessary to the defence of their homelands to the German battle.

I approve of this.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Wow I’m a moron and switched them in my head. The yellow triangle is a radioactive symbol. No events for Asia at thats a separate scenario

can't believe the russians wanted to kill venom snake that badly

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

FrangibleCover posted:

o Operation Westminster

Approved

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Operation Westminster ACTIVE
Operation Sodom ACTIVE
Operation Vagabond II ACTIVE
Operation Janissary ACTIVE
Operation Lighthouse Heavy ACTIVE

These are a GO barring new arguments. Closes in 12 hours.

Someone asked for a unit guide:

Taken from manual

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 1, 2020

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I would also like to voice approval of Operation Dresden II because I didn't notice it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

What do the three columns on the right side of the chart mean?

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 1, 2020

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

overmind2000 posted:

What do the three columns on the right side of the chart mean?

Uh...that was NOT supposed to be included. (surrender variables) I'm going to fix that. If you could snip for me so we don't get too much info :)

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 1, 2020

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

We would be glad to send Belgian support to aid in the retaking of Erlschede - if the bigger picture at the front line permits, of course.

Given that NATO Headquarters is in Brussels and the Supreme Headquarters for the Allied Powers in Europe is in Mons, we're naturally reluctant to go all-in on the nukes, but since the Soviets have answered our restraint thus far with escalation, it looks like that's the way things have to go. We support Lighthouse Heavy, Janissary, Sodom, Tenerife, Monaco, and Westminster.

Boofy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 1, 2020

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Uh...that was NOT supposed to be included. (surrender variables) I'm going to fix that. If you could snip for me so we don't get too much info :)

Done

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ADDENDUM TO PREVIOUS MESSAGE

SODOM/VAGUELY BROWN ENDORSED, MINSK RECOMMENDED

JANISSARY ENDORSED ON AGREEMENT OF TURKISH GOVERNMENT

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

What causes the Iran Army Rebels to spawn? That seems like a side that would only show up if things are going really badly for Iran.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Why are some of those entries spoilered?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

NATO supports Operation Sodom alone, and formally opposes all other nuclear plans. Do not allow for an incident in the Middle East to spill over into Europe.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Kavak posted:

Why are some of those entries spoilered?

Some fun things can happen and I don't want people to accidentally metagame

overmind2000 posted:

What causes the Iran Army Rebels to spawn? That seems like a side that would only show up if things are going really badly for Iran.

If the Iranian army gets yeeted they can spawn.

Operation Westminster ACTIVE
Operation Sodom ACTIVE
Operation Vagabond II ACTIVE
Operation Janissary ACTIVE
Operation Lighthouse Heavy ACTIVE
Tenerife ACTIVE
Monaco ACTIVE
Israeli plans ACTIVE

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Israeli plans ACTIVE

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Oh well, RIP world.

How does this game model strategic exchange? Just by a game over?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

Oh well, RIP world.

How does this game model strategic exchange? Just by a game over?

We will go until cities are rubble and rubble is dust

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Looking forward to the Twilight 2000 follow-up to this thread.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Think positive.

We, as the political elite, will survive in our luxurious underground bunkers, living out our days feasting on carefully stockpiled vintages and the finest hams.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Top Hats Monthly posted:

We will go until cities are rubble and rubble is dust

But most of Russian and all of the US isn't on the map?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Unfortunately I failed a force proficiency check and was unable to get screenshots.

Minsk destroyed by French Air Force, along with HQ.
Iraqi South HQ destroyed by USAF.
Multiple Soviet divisions destroyed in North and South West Germany. Dutch, French, American, and West German planes carried these.
Multiple Syrian divisions destroyed. Israeli nukes impact multiple positions in Syria and Lebanon.
Dresden immolated (along with HQ)
Magdeburg and Prague flights shot down.
Doha, Qatar recaptured by UAE, American, and Saudi units.
Soviets are still in Erlschede.
Portuguese and Spanish units have taken a train to Strasbourg, will disembark and join battle soon.
Libyan division encircled and destroyed by Egyptian units.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I think we all knew the direction this was going as soon as the thread was titled "Giving Goons the Nuke."

zanni
Apr 28, 2018

:stare:

..wonder what the state of soviet command room in moscow is right now. running around like headless chickens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

zanni posted:

:stare:

..wonder what the state of soviet command room in moscow is right now. running around like headless chickens?

Приветствую Сатану P-36M Пусть Его Страсть очистит Землю

Kavak fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 2, 2020