Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's sad to see so many in denial, but then that IS a symptom.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...e-idUSKBN1ZN2J8

Maybe some of us have a chance.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

cspam only has to be right once, the naysayers have to be right every single time

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 25, 2020

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

my teamster buddy showed me his health plan and it's seriously making me consider giving up what i'm doing now to go shove boxes in a back of a truck

I do this for Fedex but we're not unionized here unfortunately. Also there's tons of international boxes, including stuff from China so I'm already dead.

eric ciaramella posted:

I tried to watch contagion but it was not very good

Bad taste

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Niton posted:

Going off the confirmed cases, it's 53 deaths out of 1975, for a death rate of 2.82%. One of the problems with containing something like coronavirus (as opposed to more highly virulent / deadly diseases) is that the combination of long incubation period + low severity in many patients makes it incredibly difficult to assess who's even a carrier.

It's going to be bad, and it's probably going to kill a lot of people, and a lot of it will be because it's difficult to track a disease that doesn't require assistance in many people.

e: this is also why part of why the outbreak took so long to track, probably, non-SARS coronavirus isn't exactly a rare thing and nonlethal cases are far from unusual

OTOH 49 people saved so far out of 1985 infected is a survival rate of only 2.5%

Truly apocalyptic.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

frantically typing "bat soup" into grubhub right now

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

its not funny, dont laugh at little man's death

e:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ground the flights, quarantine the cities.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

well, yea but arby's has a negative r0 rate

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Schnorkles posted:

Trusting R values coming out in the early stages of an epidemic, when there's going to be a sudden conversion from uncounted to counted cases and unclear reporting, is not really a smart move.

R2.13 is still plenty bad tho.

If the virus actually emerged a month earlier than originally thought, as that one report said yesterday, wouldn't that be an argument for a lower R value?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There are multiple public health agencies and drug companies working on a vaccine now.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Those WHO scientists are just 5 trillion coronavirii in a trenchcoat, you can't fool me!!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Stop all flights, lock up the infected, lock up anyone who came within 100 feet of the infected.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The thing thats bothering me right now is that according to the DNA scientists this thing started its spread as early as October and testing kits are apparently not really widely available anywhere, if thats the case, what are the chances that people are being sent home with "just" the flu or pneumonia even in countries outside of China

I've actually been feeling under the weather the past few days and it's making me paranoid.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

twoday posted:

Wuhan hasn't released any new stats today

I'm sure it's fine

The only message they sent was "Send more paramedics".

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jesus, imagine if we lose a world war's worth of people in a month or two. What a nightmare.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Over Easy posted:

what does being able to spell the dna of the disease do for us? we can make it more deadly?

According to that Reuters article I posted a couple of days ago, scientists around the world started working on a vaccine with the info, not needing an actual sample of the virus.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Scionix posted:

has anyone made an anthropomorphized anime girl version of the virus yet.

Got you fam

e:

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 28, 2020

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Maybe the smart play is flying to Wuhan. With everyone fleeing, already sick/dead, the virus would never think of looking for you there!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Schnorkles posted:

like the fact that India is not reporting any cases is a bit of a :yikes:

The Black Plague skipped over India during the Middle Ages, maybe they're lucky like that.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Comrade Xi Jinping giving the workers of the world a raise. Thanks!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this happens but youre one of the people who dies early on in the montage and dont get to see all the cooler stuff... that would suck

Im gonna pull a Bethesda and die in such a way that my skeleton tells a story.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Corona Chan holds up half the sky.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44RoK_4qAcQ

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

if i get 10k subs in here ill disconnect the respirator

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

My mask with a filter came in from Amazon but I look like a dork in it so idk if I'll wear it to work tomorrow.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

At least a lot of the earlier reported cases outside China are doing well/recovering, according to this reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/euvexx/current_status_of_outsidechina_patients/

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The real contagion is fear?!? That has the highest R0 value of all!! We're hosed!!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

so wait this disease is racist against asian people

GBS Flu confirmed.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

All the racist poo poo is in GBS.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The television show that had the best quote about relationships was House: "Yes, you will be in Hell, but I will feel better having you there. That's what a relationship is. We average our misery."

I think people working in the media are just bad at relationships imo.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dumb Lowtax posted:

We've already established that it's to get more people to gently caress while they can't leave home

drat wish the coronavirus would come to missouri so someone would gently caress me

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Xaris posted:

maybe this was supposed to be a hot kramer own but never seen any of those

They're great movies. The old ones and the new.

Except the Tim Burton one.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

yeah if these numbers arent all bogus its looking like this will probably be contained

Comrade Xi and the science of Marxist-Leninism win once again folks.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

yeah this thing is slowing down and going to be contained

I sure hope so. Not for the lives saved, but for all the gloating about CCP and Xi prevailing once again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Doctors probably weren't licking the patients' blood or cum

why even go to medical school?