Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Koishi Komeiji posted:

My uncle works for Wuhan Fish Flu and he let me see all the sick poo poo the disease is going to do before it comes out here. I'd show it to you but it's top secret so yeah.

i read in wuhan fish fly power magazine that if you do the right sequence of moves you can unlock a vaccine for the virus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

A Russian troll farm posted:

Why didn't they name it something funny? Whenever I play plague inc I give my disease a name like 'trruhhmmo!', or 'medical pedophilia', or weaponized cooties or something

symptoms of the coronavirus include a burning need to find your beachTM

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

my mother called me when i was eating the buffet and we talked about things including the wuhan fish flu. she had just rewatched contagion the other day

umm

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1220920013273608192
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1220923649366118400

hmmm, seems like this might be... bad?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
me, a simpleton: hmm, this flu may be bad, we should take precautions and do research
you, a harvard intellectual: WE'RE ALL GONNA loving DIE

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

From GBS

Boomerflu is real

i guess this confirms that its actually a cunning conspiracy for china to handle its aging population problem then

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
my prepper bag is the security of knowledge that id probably be happier dead than living in a hole eating canned tuna for the rest of my short life

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
David Dees is going to just LOVE mandatory coronavirus vaccination

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Judakel posted:

Trump fans furious that the president wont ban the chinese.

Don't worry, it's like that literally everywhere. Click on that tweet about a presumed case in Toronto for example and every responding tweet is "why didn't they turn around all flights from China midair the second someone coughed in Wuhan???"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
3.6% death rate... not great, not terrible

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
bad news everyone, it is not 3% death rate, it is 15,000% death rate

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

China’s national health minister Ma Xiaowei said the new coronavirus is also infectious during incubation, which is different from Sars.

He said authorities’ knowledge of the new virus was limited and they are unclear on the risks posed by mutations of the virus.

The press conference ended with a promise to live up to “the expectations of the people” and to increase transparency. To that end, they said there would be a press conference every morning.

:rip:

efb

welp that's me never leaving my house again tyvm

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
apparently in thailand they have 8 cases so far (all tourists from Wuhan plus one Thai tourist to Wuhan) and so far five have fully recovered and three are still being treated, with no deaths

that's obviously a very small sample size but it suggests that the virus might be less deadly when medical institutions only have to treat a small number of isolated cases at once, and more deadly when resources get taxed like in Wuhan where they're running out of beds

which would be slightly encouraging for the rest of the world, but still just as bad news for China or anywhere that some, like, infected mcdonalds worker spreads it to a thousand people in one town before becoming symptomatic

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We need to euthanize anyone who has coughed or sneezed the last three weeks, anyone they've been in contact with, and anyone those people have been in contact with. It's time we make the hard choices.

everyone in the world just stay home for the next month, it's the only way to be sure

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao dumbass people who think they're the exception and get on the plane/train/bus/automobile anyway even though they're coughing and sneezing everywhere are going to kill us all

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/onlyyoontv/stat...irms-first-case

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

twoday posted:

Oh wait this was real?

I thought it was just someone retweeting protest footage and falsely tying it to the virus

https://twitter.com/DarrenPlymouth/status/1221432283032440834?s=20

the Guardian reported it too, attributed to AFP:

quote:

Here ia an update from AFP:

Dozens of local residents and protesters opposed to the idea held rallies outside the complex on Sunday, with some setting up road blocks.

In the evening, police said assailants threw petrol bombs at the buildings.

An AFP photographer on the scene saw fierce flames coming from the entrance of two apartment blocks before firefighters got the blaze under control.

Riot police were on scene and protesters had left, although some local residents were arguing with officers who used pepper spray.

The Centre for Health Protection said the plan to turn the housing estate into a quarantine zone would be suspended.

The agency has already turned a holiday park in an isolated rural area into a working quarantine facility. Two other holiday parks located away from major housing estates are also ready to be used as similar facilities.

But officials say they have struggled to find hotels and spare rooms for doctors and nurses working on the isolation wards where patients are being treated.

The virus outbreak comes at a time when Hong Kong is already boiling with widespread anti-government sentiment after seven months of often violent pro-democracy protests.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

seems bad imo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gh0stpinballa posted:

what does the 5.35 number mean

it means each sick person makes, on average, 5.35 more people sick

and then each of those 5.35 people makes another 5.35 people sick, on average, and so on

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lord funk posted:

Hey everyone I'm chilling in my apartment in Wuhan right now. Lemme know if you have any questions.

What's the food and supplies situation like?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Remember the Harvard guy going HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!! and then it turned out the data he was looking at was bad and it was only 66% of what he thought it was and then two days later new numbers came in at 1.5x the original figure?

Having a good lmao remembering

seems there's still no certainty on the r0 number, another study came out last night from hong kong estimating it at like 2.1

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Are these studies location specific or for the virus as-a-whole?

don't know, it was based on a presentation not a paper that I could check, but I think it was talking about China as a whole

https://twitter.com/hayesluk/status...pagenumber%3D30

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the WHO did a live Q&A and here are some of the takeaways:

• the virus doesn't survive long enough on objects for you to be in danger if you receive mail from Wuhan
  • not many children have been infected
  • stay 3 to 6 feet away from infected people to avoid infection yourself (imo this implies that the virus itself is not airborne, so as long as you avoid the water droplets from someone's mouth you're probably okay)
  • it's difficult for an infected person to spread the virus without coughing or sneezing, but this requires more research
  • no evidence so far that the virus is mutating

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/...es-live-updates

seems legit

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

well that's that new hospital filled up i guess

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

China's heath commission releases new guidance on virus
China’s National Health Commission issued guidance on treating the coronavirus last night (27 January).

It says “respiratory droplet transmission is the main route of transmission”, but it can also be transmitted through contact.

It says “based on current epidemiological investigations, the incubation period is generally 3-7 days, with the longest no more than 14 days”.

looks like 14 days is the top range for incubation, not the norm

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

a.lo posted:

ever think when you ate too much and then in the back of your mind you think "oh no I don't feel so good" and then you think you have this new virus?

this happened to me like 2 days ago

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

snoo posted:

I've been coughing for like 5 days it owns lmao

please do NOT cough in this thread tyvm

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Doc Walrus posted:

lmao that we're gonna get killed by a virus with a dna strand like a possum meme

he infecc
he infecc
but most important
he infecc

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

that bugs bunny florida gif except its hong kong

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/statu...ng-live-updates

this is pretty good news imo, suggests it's not quite as bad as "every traveler coming from Wuhan is asymptomatic but contagious"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol if this fucks up the Dem primaries

only the young are healthy enough to go out and vote, ensuring 100% of the vote for one bernard "bernie" sanders

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Australians told to reconsider travel to whole of China
Australia has upgraded its travel advice to reconsider all travel to China – and will be providing “assisted departures” to elderly and young Australians in Wuhan and Hubei province.

Prime minister Scott Morrison has described the coronavirus as “a serious and evolving situation” in a press conference in Canberra.

“The travel advice has been upgraded to reconsider all travel to China – the entire nation,” he says.

“We have taken a decision this morning to prepare a plan for an operation to provide some assisted departures for isolated and vulnerable Australians in Wuhan and the Hubei province.”

The evacuated Australians will then be quarantined in Christmas Island for up to 14 days.

But that is not for certain, and dependant on the medical advice.

“We cannot give a guarantee that this operation is able to succeed,” he says. “And I also want to stress very clearly that we may not be in a position if we’re able to do this on one occasion to do it on another occasion.”

two things about this

1) Australia is telling its citizens "now or never to get out"
2) a select few Australians will get to experience the joys of living in detention on Christmas Island, which would feel like poetic justice if not for the whole plague thing

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Australian scientists were able to replicate the virus in a lab which is an important step towards vaccines

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao the racist uk strikes again

quote:

Chinese partners of Britons in Wuhan won't be evacuated
Rebecca Ratcliffe Rebecca Ratcliffe
Our correspondent Rebecca Ratcliffe has spoken to British citizen Nick, who is a teacher in Wuhan and who is among up to 200 people waiting to be evacuated.

He called the Foreign and Commonwealth Office crisis line earlier this morning and was asked if he would be prepared to leave his wife behind, because she is Indonesian and doesn’t currently have a UK visa. They have two children, aged nine and 12, also in Wuhan.

“He said that she would probably not be able to get on the plane,” said Nick. “I feel like we are being hung out to dry”.

Other Britons who have Chinese partners fear their wives or husbands will also be unable to get on the plane.

It is not clear how many people will be given a seat on the flight, which is also likely to be carrying consulate staff. Some British people in Wuhan have been receiving calls and told that there will be a flight tomorrow, others are still waiting for news.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

In Beijing, Reuters report that a pharmacist has been fined 3 million yuan (USD $434,530) for artificially inflating the price of masks sixfold during the coronavirus outbreak.

An administrative penalty notice has been issued to the Beijing Jimin Kangtai Pharmacy for sharply raising the price of N95 masks, the Beijing municipal market regulator said in a statement on its website.

The store raised the price of a box of 3M brand masks to 850 yuan while the online price was just 143 yuan, state television said.

Since Thursday, the regulator has investigated 31 price violation cases, it said.

In Shanghai, the municipal market regulator has ordered the closure of a drug store that sold sub-standard masks, the city government said. The regulator has asked the store to refund buyers and dispose of unsold ones, it said on its official account on the Weibo app.

:nice:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TeenageArchipelago posted:

lol hope that they like it when the free market doesn't give them any more masks gonna get wrecked then

some silicon valley guy is screaming "surge pricing but for masks" at a room full of investors right now

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Agean90 posted:

Kinda seems wierd they wouldnt do that to begin with. I would think it would be easier to limit exposure to other people at a military base than a local airport

Apparently that airport is one that's been specifically designated as the place to receive people being evacuated from overseas emergencies like this one, and is outfitted with specialized equipment and specially-trained staff and so on.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
apparently all the people on that plane to California have so far passed four different screenings, two before leaving the airport and two more by the CDC in Alaska. I would expect they'll still be quarantined for two weeks since that seems to be becoming standard for at-risk people exiting China

the WHO has done another press conference, says they're highly concerned about the cases of transmission outside of China and that's why they're reconvening to discuss declaring a global emergency, but also that many (most?) people who get the virus only have mild symptoms and they estimate the death rate at about 2% (compared to 10% for SARS)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

pigz posted:

I really don't think they are doing enough testing yet, to get a good idea of rates you need to start testing peopel who aren't very sick but may have come in contact with those that are. I.e you need to capture people who get midly sick and that's just not something that seems to be happening right now.

maybe the place to look for for this is testing of people outside China, like in the UK they've tested over 100 people now and all come back negative, in Australia all negative except their one patient in hospital, supposedly all 200 people on that flight to the US tested negative in four different rounds of testing, these are all people who were in Wuhan and so may have been in contact or proximity with someone who was sick, even if it was only mildly sick or even asymptomatic, and so far signs are encouraging that they haven't found more cases, but we really have to wait another two weeks or so to make sure given the potentially long incubation period

the Australian scientists who managed to recreate the virus also said they would be able to use that to make a more accurate test, so that's encouraging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bullfrog posted:

and remember to practice good hygiene and wash you're monitor after every post

no but apparently they requested eu help to evac their citizens from wuhan two days before leaving the eu lmao owned