Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Why didn't they name it something funny? Whenever I play plague inc I give my disease a name like 'trruhhmmo!', or 'medical pedophilia', or weaponized cooties or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

vyelkin posted:

symptoms of the coronavirus include a burning need to find your beachTM

i can't afford that poo poo. Where can I get a malt liquorvirus?

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

loving amateur poo poo that it evolved pneumonia before extreme bioaerosol

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Goodbye Flu Monday

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I want to die, but I don't want to die of pneumonia. Ideally I'll only become infected right before they start nuking cities to contain the outbreak. Then I'll have my chance to reenact the terminator 2 scene at the nearest chainlink fence

edit:

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe I’m missing something but why wouldn’t you just immediately quarantine everyone coming off these flights?

Yeah it sucks for those people but it’s a “world health emergency” so why take chances?

Gettigng quarantined would be tight as hell. Imagine, 2 weeks off work...

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

That's official US policy now; everyone traveling out of or through China is now subject to a 14 day quarantine period, full stop. Including people who flew through China up to 14 days before the order was made (which was sometime within the last few days)

I can hope that other countries are doing the same.

I have a coworker who was in an airport in China within the last 9 days or so, and he looked really sick on thursday. Also I've seen the same guy take one nitrile glove off to take a piss, then just put the glove back on and leave the washroom without ever washing his hands

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Colin Mockery posted:

Imagine a 2-week unexcused absence from your job

Well see, the idea is that it's an excused absence. You don't get a much better opportunity to not get fired for a two week absence than "The government quarantined me due to a public health emergency"

edit: I'm the kind of guy who would always take time off work if offered right up until the point of not being able to make rent/pay for food.

edit 2: I've had this vaguely positive vibe that a mishandled pandemic could be a catalyst for a potential revolutionary moment. Perhaps we are walking the golden path?

Ansar Santa fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 3, 2020

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Or better yet, it happens enough that people string up their bosses and overthrow the government of the bourgeoisie

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Part of it is law, part of it is norms. Employers violate laws all the time. What actually matter is if they think they could get away with it, or if it would be worth the potential hassle. I'm in Canada, and we have stronger labour laws than the US (though they are still routinely violated.) They could probably get away with it if they really wanted to, but I'm fairly confident that my employer wouldn't fire me for being quarantined. The risk/reward for them just doesn't really make sense.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

"The law" is meaningless. It only exists so far as it's enforced, or so far as people think it will be enforced. In a lot of cases I'm sure people could slip through the cracks and get fired for being quarantined, yes. But in a lot of cases the employer might figure that potential backlash outweighs the benefit of crushing you like a bug.

By analyzing the possibilities dialectically, I have arrived at a Synthesis: You get fired for being quarantined, but it's a few months after you return to work, and under a different pretense, and once a replacement has been trained.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Rice is very easy to make. For white rice, you take one cup of rice and two cups of water, bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low (i usually do like 2.6/10) and cover it. Then remove from heat, stir/fluff with a fork, and allow to sit for 5 minutes.

This alone will not sustain you. You will also need some beans to eat, and some sort of fat, be it butter, lard, or oil, to add to the beans. On such a diet, you can live indefinitely.

edit: i have been beaten to the punch. nevertheless

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

etalian posted:

White rice is poo poo in terms of actual nutrition.

but its tastier

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

i think the ratio for brown rice is 1:1 or 1.5:1 water to rice, but brown rice is haggard and I would rather starve

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

You can have *Mexican* rice and beans, which has hot sauce or chiptotle/ancho/etc peppers. You could have chinese rice and beans, which has chinese 5 spice. The possibilities are endless. Also, powdered egg white and maybe powdered milk would be a good purchase, i bet.

Canned chickpeas are pretty cheap. With that (and some spices and cream/canned coconut milk) you could make chana masala.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Oh, I have shitloads of B vitamins for when I'm hung over. Aint gotta worry about no berry berry

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Oh gently caress yeah, can I straight up just party my way through the pandemic? Smokable smokes, pissable pilsner. drink it and convert it to piss. then there's liquor, and speed... I'm fuckin invincible, baby

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Okay, so can I or can I not just drink away a cytokine storm. this is important.

Oh also, frozen perogies would probably be a good thing to get to ride out your coronavirus vacation in style. Maybe I'll freeze a block of monterey jack so I can have nachos on demand

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Raccooon posted:

I should have gotten Lasik before the apocalypse

you can probably get one of those green lasers from alibaba and do it yourself, though maybe the best time to do that would have been a month ago

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I feel kinda lovely, but a guy got fired from my work 2 weeks ago for hurting his back and taking a sick day. So much for self-quarantine! Gotta wait for the government to order it, and even then I still might lose my job

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

etalian posted:

The real CSPAM solution is to make sure your boss and the whole upper management of the company get the coronavirus.

I will be coughing on the doorknobs of every manager's office tonight. Nite crew, baby

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

the true incubation period is going to turn out to be like six weeks lmao

we're all dead already

I don't doubt it a bit. I have a coworker who flew through china mid-january. The week after, he looked like absolute poo poo. Now, a whole bunch of people at my work have developed a cough.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

im gonna dig pungi pits in front of my house, in case coronavirus tries to come in while im spending a month jacking off and eating beans

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

A few (dozens of) pages ago there was something about nicotine suppressing the cytokine storm reaction, thus making you invincible to the coronavirus

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

smoking used to be a good way to meet girls, now corona-chan wont have me because of my bad habit :(

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I'm kinda sick. I think I got it. This is so fuckin cool, I'm gonna get time off work

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

We shall soon see the results of my experiment as to whether one can drink away coronavirus, but it is too early to tell. I feel like poo poo but that's probably the hangover

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

TODD BONZALEZ posted:

on the one hand I have a functioning reusable n99 respirator, on the other hadn I will have to shave to make it work properly. Yeah I know boo hoo gotta shave but as a trans man being able to have an actual beard has been pretty important to my self image, esteem, self confidence and appearance so it is a big deal for me to shave most of it off, as it will be to a lot of my friends in the same position :/

You could shave the beard, but keep a moustache. As long as it doesn't extend too far into your cheeks it shouldn't mess with the seal

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

The 2000+ innocents killed are not victims, but martyrs. Their sacrifice has enabled corona-chan to infiltrate the very heart of the evil empire, and she will soon be tearing a swathe through the geriatric AIPAC attendees. They may not have souls, but they have lungs, and those lungs will soon be filled with the fluid of holy vengeance. This is the Golden Path! We walk it!

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I've had explosive dumps every goddamn day of my life. it's just a flue

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

the flue kills 100k every year

caronavirus only killed 2000 people

if your'e scared of caronavirus maybe you should be more scared of the cold???

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

milenialls are afraid of a flue?? now i have seen evrything!!!

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

corona-chan is the weltgeist on pangolin-back

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

everclear or polish rectified spirits are what you want for this one

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

ohhh, coronachan, ohhhh please sit on my face corona-chan, uuuuuuuuuuuguuuuuuu

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

i cannot think but that this is a plague sent by G-d to destroy our enemies. paint your doors with the blood of a freshly slaughtered lamb in order to divert HIS wrath

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

covid nineteen
i will buy all the beans
while the idiots
only buy tee-peeeeee

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Tomorrow will be day 10 of "am i just hung over, or is this coronavirus?"

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

what if instead of a bidet, you just lubed up your butt so the poop slides right out? You could cut down your toilet paper use by an order of magnitude...

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Admiral Ray posted:

this is what i did, surgically. chromed frictionless rear end in a top hat developed by DARPA, actuated by advanced polymer turbines that control internal/external pressure differentials. i haven't had to use toilet paper or a bidet for years. all other assholes are primitive in comparison.

woah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Jesus. Good luck, comrade