Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

my mother called me when i was eating the buffet and we talked about things including the wuhan fish flu. she had just rewatched contagion the other day

umm

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1220920013273608192

odds are looking higher of catching coronavirus at the mall where I'm going to work, having to quit my job only two months into it, and then accidentally killing everyone I know or love through my proximity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

when the number goes up, it's bad

like mini-golf

I was just plain flabbergasted when I found out that there's a version of golf without any of the giant clown faces or windmills or waterfalls or Rube Goldberg-style pipes that business executives and presidents for some reason love. The golf balls are even always white instead of coming in a rainbow assortment

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 27, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Siljmonster posted:

hahaha theres gonna be shambling flu people infecting people everywhere

:barf::derp: :zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

If there's a mass pandemic I hope I at least live long enough to see a Contagion-style spooky montage of the spread of the virus. There'd be ominous music and maps with countries turning red interspersed with shots of people coughing and sneezing, clips of news anchors, then ghost towns and army jeeps headed down winding mountain roads

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Doc Walrus posted:

overheard at work just now:

"Yeah, come on by our desk and grab a donut. *COUGH*"

Source4Leko posted:

I cant wait for CNN and the New York Times to interview the virus so we get both sides of the story.

Reporter: What's it like being a virus?
Coronavirus: Well, a cell bursts and you're born into the world, and then there's this pressure to always be infecting, always be infecting.

Step 1. Approach the client. Don't be afraid to pass the "no soliciting sign" on the cell membrane and go straight to the cell nucleus.
Step 2. Discover the cell nucleus' needs and persuade them to buy something they don't need with a limited-time RNA offer.
Step 3. Provide the RNA solution.
Step 4. Close the infection.
Step 5. Follow-up by watching as the cell makes more virus friends.

The job doesn't pay much, or really anything at all, but the boss says that you've got to really get to the fourth level of marketing before the returns really start coming in. We're covering a lot of BMT -- that's biomass territory for those not in the infection business -- and I think when the next quarterly report comes out, our shareholders are going to be really excited. We've got this great new project planned, and it involves mucus droplets on every donut in a box of donuts in the office of this Doc Walrus guy that posts on an Internet forum called SomethingAwful.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Uhh guys my pet fish have been coughing and sneezing a lot and there seems to be some blood in the mucus as well I've been eating all the mucus I can but I'm still not fish flu what gives??? Dietary advice only pls

:chef:
:fork:

eat more flu fish until fish flu fills your sinuses

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

TeenageArchipelago posted:

gently caress CLAMSHELL PACKAGING!!!! I just paid $500 bucks to get a genuine needle of fish lung slime from Wuhan, and how do they seal it? loving clamshell. Five minutes later trying to get it open and what I'm left with is a broken needle, cut up hands, and fish mucus on the floor. Gonna go on Amazon and demand a refund for this bullshit

FISH FLU
        /
:backtowork: :nutshot:

The symptoms are nowhere near the level of justifying a reaction like finding a zombie bitemark, but as long as we have such a violent emoji we might as well use it

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Lote posted:

There’s a confirmed case in Las Vegas now. Chinese gambler from Wuhan. :lol: the US is hosed.

maybe the gambler blew on the dice for good luck

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

whatever happens happens :zpatriot:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I don't know if it's been reported yet in this thread from anyone else that might know, but based on an inside source I know there's a very likely case of the virus at Vanderbilt in Nashville, TN right now :ssh:

I was thinking about going there on Wednesday night because multiple primary-challenging congressional candidates were there speaking. My mom was worried about being left alone and had a colonostemy bag leak that night, so I didn't go

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Somehow when I checked back in on this thread after a few days, part of me expected the growth to have slowed down just because I stopped paying attention to it

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

If you know someone who's elderly and smokes with the flu, and they're breathing heavily, tell them they need to go to the hospital, even if they say twice that they feel fine. As someone said earlier, their lungs are like charcoal briquettes, they've added airways half-clogged with mucus onto that, and the virus will be stressing all their vital organs.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/trashcanlife/status/1159434144503537664

except by embedded microchip

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

An elderly kindergarten teacher who is nice enough to give me weekly rides to the grocery store, and doesn't usually ever talk about national politics, started talking about how Trump would "protect us" by making sure that Americans who tested positive stayed overseas, so this is ironic. I guess Trump's "Keeping America SAFE" protectionism from the 2013 Ebola outbreak lost to "BRING AMERICANS HOME" nationalism this time.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 20, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

pancake rabbit posted:

no blue check but links to a real article

https://twitter.com/DogeVenice/status/1230945361558167552

ronpaulitshappening.gif

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lmao this is very bad

It sounds possible that the true origin of the outbreak may be in some country that is so impoverished that it's normal to die in your forties from heart hookworm or something, and they haven't noticed one more blight because they already have so many of them

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I tried searching for a YouTube video for a song with "breakdown" in the lyrics and there are probably three dozen different songs in the top results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcDGOTRrRhg

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 22, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

In times of pandemic, the dastardly crime of not having enough in savings must not go unpunished

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

twoday posted:

[spooky tweets   :spooky:      :ghost:   ]
:ducksiren: :kingsley: :derp: :supaburn: :ducksiren:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

This is a step before "The media is spreading coronavirus on purpose so that they can create the story they're covering", which would be slightly more plausible because at least there'd be a profit incentive

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

my bony fealty posted:

the chud attitude towards the virus rn seems to be that its all media fearmongering and completely overblown and daddy Trump would never let it get into the US like those filthy other countries so gonna lol when theyre all infected like me

Bigots who believe any characteristic they possess through no fault of their own makes them better people than everybody else may conclude it's a good idea to spread coronavirus to everyone they know in order to force the uninfected be more like them through having similar antibodies. After all, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and some people need a bad experience through which they have to lift themselves up by their own bootstraps.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Raccooon posted:

Mardi Gras gonna turn into a superspreader event.

That'd be a fun montage in a dramamentary, just a short series of viral transmissions scenes

edit: removed "in which each scene has two or three characters in common" because a lot of transmissions would be toward a crowd, even though there'd probably be some person-to-person transmissions

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 25, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"We have to fight them over there so we don't have to fight them over here" on loop for nearly two decades right before we functionally ignore an international pandemic and 2% of people across the country die as their immune systems fight a virus and lose

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/KorashCOO/status/1232703850538094593

Here is a bill that was authored in 2016 after the Ebola and Zika virus scares

https://web.archive.org/web/2016080...tid=2&Itemid=21

They managed to pass $1 billion of the proposed funding in 2019

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

freedom of religion to believe God gives you immunity from plague before you lick every water fountain as a show of divine faith

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Maybe I'll take an intermediate approach and start doubling up on nonperishables like cereal and toilet paper in mid-March

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

let us know how that goes :munch:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Before this was deleted, I archived it at https://archive.is/61Yiy

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It looks like the only change is "President Trump" -> "Trump administration" and incorporating a Twitter reply's emphasis on firing a whistleblower into the Tweet thread, so the delete-and-repost seems all right

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

about the same pacing as a Corona-chan webcomic

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The View is on and one of the hosts was saying "I heard it's like the Spanish Flu" and another said "yeah, but we have much better technology now", when the actual story is that it has the same mortality rate so far, between lecturing the viewer about getting your information from reliable sources and emphasizing that America's pandemic capability is ranked pretty high, at least much more highly than Middle Eastern countries

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Epidemics interlinked within epidemics interlinked

Interrogator: "Recite your baseline."
K: "And blood-black nothingness began to spin... A system of epidemics interlinked within epidemics interlinked within epidemics interlinked within one pandemic... And dreadfully distinct against the dark, a filthy, frequented water fountain plagued."
Interrogator: "Epidemics."
Interrogator: "Have you ever been in a quarantine? Epidemics."
K: "Epidemics."
Interrogator: "Are you afraid of spending the rest of your life in quarantine?"
Interrogator: "Have you ever wondered if we're already quarantined under one sky?"
Interrogator: "What's it like to hold the dying hand of a mother you love? Interlinked."
K: "Interlinked."
Interrogator: "What's it like to hold your grandson in your arms for the last time?"
Interrogator: "Do you feel that there's something in your pantry that's missing? Interlinked."
Interrogator: "Within epidemics interlinked."
K: "Within epidemics interlinked."
Interrogator: "Why don't you say that three times: Within epidemics interlinked."
K: "Within epidemics interlinked. Within epidemics interlinked. Within epidemics interlinked."
Interrogator: "We're done... Constant K, you can pick up your beans.”

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 1, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Zotix posted:

It's obvious Trump wants Pence to be a fall guy. There's no getting out of this situation unscathed for him. The question is who does he replace him with on the ticket in November?

The Apprentice: Coronavirus Edition, in which we find out who is the best at running a pandemic like a (grifting) business

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://www.wkrn.com/community/health/coronavirus/employees-at-robertson-co-manufacturing-business-self-quarantine-after-traveling-to-italy/

seems like a mistake that businesses are prioritizing business trips and placement of workers in locations of optimal productivity over minimal risk of pandemic virus spread, but at least they're working from home

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Honj Steak posted:

What a pity the stock markets are closed on weekends.

saving up Spirit Bomb energy for that Monday crash

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

My mom had the coronavirus talk with me because she has multiple auto-immune diseases. She said we have the budget for doubling up or more on the supply of non-perishables when I suggested it. She has Parkinson's, but she only shakes when she gets upset. Such is life now

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The Tennessean posted:

Coronavirus case detected in Tennessee: First patient is quarantined in Williamson County

The infected patient is a 44-year-old adult man and resident of Williamson County who recently traveled on a non-stop flight to Boston through Nashville's airport.He is quarantined at home with mild symptoms while the CDC confirms his infection with more tests, state officials said.

In response to the infection, Williamson County Schools will close on Friday and Monday for a deep cleaning of all campuses, designed to prevent spread of the virus.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/health/2020/03/05/coronavirus-tennessee-department-health-bill-lee/4962037002/

I think of Williamson County as the "where rich people move to for the 'better schools'" county, but that it passed through the Nashville airport seems pretty bad

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 5, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

A rising tide of death drowns all boats

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Wait until it hits countries without a national health system and we have a relatively well-controlled experiment. He is literally saying that given the same amount of resources, it's better for those with money get priority rather than medical triage to save the optimal amount of lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1236965325222088705

it really is hilarious that the WHO still refuses to call this a pandemic