Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Viruses don’t get secreted through sweat. At least, the ones that cause pneumonia. Skin to skin contact is a pretty piss poor way to spread disease. He doesn’t use technical terms. You can have plenty of quick transmission through fomites (cough droplets) and the most infectious viruses spread that way. See: Measles. One person with measles can infect 20 or more people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Also, flu is a completely different kind of virus with other quirks that make it difficult to treat. The reason that we don’t have treatments for corona viruses is that usually it’s super common, self limiting, and not that bad.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
My background is also slightly more than a superficial understanding of infectious diseases. I’ve done two months worth of rotations on a clinical infectious disease service. Someone with a British medical background and works for the WHO would have 3-4 years specialized training in addition to being an internal medicine doc and would likely also have a public health degree, so a shitload more training and understanding.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Ringo Roadagain posted:

the people talking about the fainting thing is weird because I mean if you got a bad fever and are probably really dehydrated and insist on still be out and about, aren’t you pretty likely to faint? people seem to be thinking the people falling down in the streets are straight up dying there on the spot.

If the issue is related to your lungs and difficulty breathing, collapsing from that and becoming unconscious is a sign that you’re imminently dying. It would be very rare for that to happen because if you’re having difficulty breathing and dying from it, you wouldn’t be walking around and would instead be in distress and trying to do whatever it takes to get to a hospital / seek medical attention.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Charlz Guybon posted:

1st off, why should I trust this rando?

2nd, is 3.8 really that bad? Measels spreads to 18 new people per person infection.

I mean measles is one of the most infectious viruses out there. Nothing that you compare it to will be as transmissible as measles.

Edit: an R0 value of 4 is about as transmissible as chicken pox

Lote fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 25, 2020

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this disease is only killing old people so good news is if this pandemic hits america full force like 10% of boomers will die

It will also be especially bad on smokers / people with COPD.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Charlz Guybon posted:

What does severe mean? On a ventilator/respirator? Because if so, won't the number of severe cases quickly outstrip the supply and then all of them will die without aid?

If you need to go to an icu for an extended period of time, the chances of leaving the hospital alive are like 50%. Usually people in the icu are listed as “critical”

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The death rate is probably going to go up to closer to the “critical” rate once more resources are taxed. “Critical” means ICU level care and for this virus, you’re intubated and having a machine breathe for you. Serious means you’re in a hospital bed usually and you require some type of monitoring or oxygen.

Once the resources get overwhelmed as there are only so many ventilators those people that need them are gonna die instead of getting intubated and sent to the ICU.

The ICU has like a 50% mortality at baseline for adults.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
There’s also the whole “if it’s spreading uncontrollably in the two most populous countries in the world, then it’s going worldwide”

Mr 305 is going Mr Worldwide.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mrs. Dash posted:

If this actually gets out of control it won't be killing rich people in droves, it'll be killing the poor with limited access to healthcare who live stacked in dense residences.

Boomer billionaires will still be vulnerable. Cf that billionaire that died while getting his penis enlarged.

You don’t fux with ARDS. ECMO can only do so much if you lungs are liquidated and you’re in acute CHF.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
There’s a confirmed case in Las Vegas now. Chinese gambler from Wuhan. :lol: the US is hosed.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Doc Walrus posted:

now we're the gamblers lmao

The guy that posted the tweet is sticking by it but no one has confirmed. He deleted the original tweet.

It’s looking like it wasn’t in Las Vegas.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
https://twitter.com/ktnv/status/1222561892981297153

:lol:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Charlz Guybon posted:

First week it was growing 50-60% a day, doubling in less than 2. Now it seems to be growing at 30% a day, due to quarantine measures perhaps? That's still not great and indicates a doubling time of 3 days.

Also, look at those suspected cases!

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1222671766012690432

Suspected cases increased by 50% while confirmed cases didn’t increase as much. That may indicate that they’re reaching the limit for confirming suspected cases.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

SKULL.GIF posted:

not by *rate* but it's probable that it matches it by actual total count.

nCoV is like waaaay more infectious than SARS, it's actually remarkable. In all my life I'm having trouble thinking of a comparable virus that's had this amount of infectiousness.

Chicken pox before the vaccine had an R0 of 4-5

Before the vaccine you kinda just waited until you got it then got a week off school.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The cases in Shanghai where the two people had no known infected contacts means that this has gotten away from the quarantine and potentially out of control in one of China’s biggest cities.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Big Mad Drongo posted:

CDC estimates already put this year's flu deaths at 8,200-20,000 and I haven't seen anything about that in the news so we're just good at ignoring diseases in general.

I mean the biggest killer of Americans is heart attacks and cardiovascular disease. Why don’t we devote all our time talking about that? We should be banning high fructose corn syrup and smoking.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Kerning Chameleon posted:

didn't people dying of suicide and drug overdose overtake that last year or something

Suicide and drug overdose are the number one killer if combined for 18-24 and 25-34 demographics.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Almost 2,000 new cases today. Yikes.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Chris James 2 posted:

https://abc7news.com/5895060/ Confirmed case in the Bay Area (Santa Clara County) per CDC

He’s been self isolating and the people he’s been in contact with are self isolating. But how did they contact everyone?

Also :lol: at this guy just hanging out at his house while all the other Americans are on a military base with guns pointed at them

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

does the US have legal right to hold people against their will for quarantines?

I don’t know about the federal government. State governments have the right if you have certain diseases. Tuberculosis was one where if you refused treatment, they would handcuff you to a bed and give you medication in certain states.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Spain’s National Centre for Microbiology has confirmed the country’s first case of coronavirus after a man was diagnosed with the virus on the remote island of La Gomera in the Canaries, the Health Ministry said late on Friday.

The patient is part of a group of five people taken into observation on the island and isolated after it was found they had come into contact with a German man diagnosed with the virus.

No one expects the Spanish Canary Islands.

That requires a lot of close quarters travel and interaction to get there.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Vlex posted:

For gently caress's sake I just spent a week in the Canaries.

Were you on La Gomera.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

im curious if the german tourist had also been in Wuhan. if not we have this spreading internationally disconnected from china. which seems bad.

The German guy only had been in contact with infected people in Germany. He’s part of that group of like 6 that got infected from the same company.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Charlz Guybon posted:

No change to the numbers from Zhejiang province?

Seems like the latest pan-China update is incomplete, at least going by BNO's numbers.

They had 537 cases yesterday. No change seems very unlikely.

It’s about time to give up on the quarantine. There are like 500 cases in Guangzhou and over 100 each on shanghai and Beijing.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Shaocaholica posted:

Are they taking coronavirus bets in Vegas?

Yeah. Buy puts on $LVS

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Yeah. Basically a South Korean woman went on vacation there. Didn’t interact with anyone who was known to have it. And got it in South Korea after she came back. There’s no way that there’s just 20 cases Thailand.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Schnorkles posted:

have you, personally, had a case of 'flu' (typically influenza) turn into CAP?

If it turns into bacterial pneumonia in the hospital it’s called HAP or HCAP

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
This thing is already out of control. Criticism of how China is handling it is kinda funny in that it won’t matter in the end. Even with the highly restrictive controls put it place, it still got out. China couldn’t really have done anything differently. These respiratory infections are incredibly common. If you only noticed after 40 hospitalized cases at one hospital, that implies hundreds of more cases out there. And of those 40 maybe 2-4 of them died from it, and people die all the time from pneumonia. It’s the most common infection to die from if you present to a hospital with it IIRC.

What I’m saying is you can’t control a virus that is this easily spread.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
We would also see many more deaths in non Chinese countries but there are only 2 right now. About in line with that 2% figure

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Another case in the US. Wisconsin this time.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Ruggan posted:

motherFUCKER

I live in Madison. My wife works at that hospital. gently caress

My wife works there too. Yeah buddy.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
So you’re telling me that China intentionally developed a super infectious bio weapon that only kills 3% of infected that primarily targets older Asian male smokers?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Now there’s a gunman in a shopping mall in Thailand. 12 people dead so far. Terrible

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

GABA ghoul posted:

Malaria infects hundreds of millions of people each year and over a million die from it so I'm not sure why you are so upset about this.

They’ve really reduced the infection rate and deaths from malaria. It’s down to like 400k now.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I imagine some people have stopped presenting with symptoms in order to get tested because you get quarantined with the people that for sure have it. It may be quietly raging undetected.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Hong Kong reported 10 new cases today. The first that they had double digits and previous high was 3 diagnosed in a day. It’s also the first time any non China country / territory reported double digits for new cases.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
They’re shutting down Beijing.

This is fine.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

That person spread it to like 50+ people most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

CPA Hell posted:

Are superspreaders mostly a function of some internal physiology? Or is it personal habits (like coughing into their hand, wiping their nose with their hand, using a lot of public transportation, working in public places or service industry etc) that make them spread it to more people? Or some combination of the above?

The person works at a primary care medical office with people coming in for general medical problems. They will see a ton of people in a day and be in close contact with lots of people. If it was the receptionist, then everyone in the office is exposed.