Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

SARS CZARS

SARS TSARS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Griefor posted:

So there has been very little coughing in the trains here until now, but this morning there were 5-6 people in my carriage coughing. Obviously there's dozens of reasons one might cough and a cold/the flu is way more likely than Corona at this stage, but it's ominous to me.

Although I should calm down, I've learned from someone smarter than me that Italy is not happening in the Netherlands. See, Italy is an epicenter, the Netherlands is not. A week from now, aren't we going to be where Italy is now? No, epidemics all stop at some point. Not through human intervention, not through saturation, just at some unknowable point in time, they stop, automagically.

Clap your hands and pray the virus away!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

703 posted:

how does this not all end with a major rework of the US healthcare and social programs lol just kidding

If any rich die then they'll rework things find a better way to impose wealth based segregation and rationing.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Luckyellow posted:

Wait hydrogen peroxide doesn't work for the boomer flu?

Lmao, and our restaurant just switched over to hydrogen peroxide from our regular sanitizers after we had this whole store meeting last night about the virus

I think the post was just that it was a really stupid replacement for hand sanitizer as chronic use would gently caress up your hands etc. It still does great on surfaces (as long as the concentration is above the recommended threshold).

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

So is this just gonna kill 15% of the olds twice a year till the end of time?
Most likely not. One of the reasons poo poo is hosed is because non-one has been exposed to it yet so it shouldn't be as bad in the future if it becomes another perennial.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

you've got a point, this sort of thing does draw out the best in people

oh wait

We'll feel the Blitz Spirit!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Gringostar posted:

italian guy posts on facebook that corona is just a normal flu

one month later here is his obituary

gently caress. Less than a month. Death comes at you fast...

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

So how many cases we looking at for the peak in US? Based on that tweet about the progrssion from 1k to 10k to 100k every eight or nine days, we're looking at a million by April 5 and 10 million by April 14? Is 100 million possible at a peak by the end of April, or is that a number that will be reached over the course of the next year?

No idea because our communal actions can impact it. The longer the message from the top is muddled the higher the likely peak though.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

man they might have to actually put Gov. DeSantis on trial for murder, this is obscene \

"Very sad... Couldn't be foreseen... Thoughts and prayers..."

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Good thing we aren't just docking every plague ship there after holding elections like normal in the middle of a boomer annihilating pandemic

I mean, if your quarantine, treatment and containment of the passengers is good then Florida would be as good or bad than anywhere else...

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

empty whippet box posted:

I'm waffling on whether I should get a 10 strip of LSD for quarantine purposes but I think I might hafta do it

I'm not sure if the general current situation and mental state is conducive to a good trip...

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

DesertIslandHermit posted:

It'd require a hot mic of one of their Congressmen saying 'I don't care.' or something to cause a shift.

We've had the tweets and statement saying they should face to bloodshed already though.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

mystes posted:

You'd think even if he wanted to suck up to China by broadcasting his opinion that Taiwan is part of China, he could still manage to do it in a less douchey way.

Well, he is a WHO employee being put in a totally awkward position by a douchey gotcha phonecall and set of questions. Given the dicey diplomatic situation around Taiwan and its formal recognition in general and the really complicated relationship his employer has with Taiwan there is no way he was going to give the answer the caller wanted and it would be totally naive to expect otherwise.

[edit] And it has nothing with that particular guy "wanting to suck up to China".

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

It's not an unreasonable question considering Taiwan's confirmation of human to human transmission could've helped avoid this whole disaster. Obviously the situation w.r.t. the UN is a mess that he can't do anything about but they've got to have some reasonable stock answers prepared for this sort of stuff.

Yeah, definitely.

The main thing I wanted to push back against was that this video was some sort of "gotcha" showing that the WHO was a total China shill which is what some people seemed to be pushing.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

TBH - this should have been done 2 weeks ago with NY, CA, and WA

This is why.

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1238643280679563265

We should have been in a lockdown since the start of March.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

NotNut posted:

I heard someone in here had an idea that TB vaccine could help against Coronavirus. Anything happen with that?

Well, some people have highlighted some interesting correlations but there is nothing solid yet. Nothing much new compared to a few days ago. Someone linked a tweet about it in one of the threads earlier.

[edit] The vaccine in question is commonly called the BCG vaccine.

Munin fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 29, 2020

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is quite literally the first I've heard of corona in Turkey, let alone it being that bad, and I've been following this very closely for the past 10 weeks

There's zero attention to basically all of Africa either, and from the data we have it should be spreading like mad there right now

Some places with recent experiences of containing Ebola might be better off since they are trained to contain infectious poo poo.

In general though I expect it to be like H1N1 where no-one really appreciated how deadly that epidemic had been because the numbers from Africa had been hideously under-reported and only a post-hoc analysis led to estimates of the death toll being revised.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Yeah, this has been a slow (and now fast) burning crisis. Some people are trying to do something about it but of course the law and order folks are screeching about it all the way.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I can't believe Hobby Lobby would do something like this!

As a moral, Christian, company they will always look after the meek.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

I mean - this measure is weeks late. It was implemented in Wuhan with like 1000 confirmed cases.

It should be expanded to Florida, Louisiana, and California as well.

Right now people have bee leaving the tri state area with COVID, but asymptomatic for weeks and starting new fires around the country (and the world).

The only way to fight an outbreak the size of NYC is a Wuhan style shutdown

Well, they also shouldn't be singling out the tri-state area at this point...

Internal travel should definitely be restricted nearly universally.

[edit] Actually, given it's spread a restricting internal travel probably does little at this point. Lockdowns should basically be universal across the country though.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

lol remember the videos of like chinese police tossing people into metal quarantine boxes on the back of a truck and we were freaking out but god now i wish Xi would come and do that here

It would be useless since we can't test and trace worth a drat.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Leonard Ghostal posted:

society is gonna collapse. how can you not think this is loving awesome?

I kinda like a functioning society where I can get tea and play boardgames with my friends.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Inceltown posted:

Quail is a good apartment alternative to chicken if you don't have space to let them roam.

Quail are more sedentary than chicken?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

MadJackal posted:

227 of 257 patients in the hospital are COVID positive. 41 COVIDS on ventilators. The ICU has expanded to the Cath lab. We’re out of ventilators, I think.

The passing of "Ethel" today marks the first patient formerly under my team’s care to be killed by COVID.

It’s so much easier to write fiction than it is to write about how angry and sorry I feel.

I open up my email and the first one is titled "Heroes" and I want to pound the desk and go for a walk anywhere outside of these walls without a goddamn mask on my face.

I don’t want to humanize my patients more by imagining their lives outside their rooms back when they were healthy.

I don’t want to do the hard, right thing and be honest and get hurt.

I don’t want to see my patients be put on ventilators and/or die.

But I will. I have to.

:smith: gently caress. Nothing I can really say to that except that I'm keeping my finger crossed for you and everyone else involved.

Your writeups also really make the situation strike home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

social distancing is a partisan issue

"We can't get infected during mass as the Lord shall keep us safe."