Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

Parts of Ireland called lemonade/soda 'minerals', as the first fizzy drinks was mineral water.
My mum's area of Sligo calls it minerals, but only boomers now use it I think as never heard it in ages.

Me and my brothers used to call it 'millarn', thinking it was from the company 'Maine' that used to sell it door to door.

Sounds weird now buying lemonade from a back of a truck like an ice cream.

meant people talking about pronunciations

i saw a lemonade van not that long ago so it must still be a thing somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Pookah posted:

Flann O'Brien's Fionn description is great:

Dummy Thicc Fionn

You'd have to be some eejit to taste the salmon of knowledge and still be considered dim witted

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

happyhippy posted:

Parts of Ireland called lemonade/soda 'minerals', as the first fizzy drinks was mineral water.
My mum's area of Sligo calls it minerals, but only boomers now use it I think as never heard it in ages.

Me and my brothers used to call it 'millarn', thinking it was from the company 'Maine' that used to sell it door to door.

Sounds weird now buying lemonade from a back of a truck like an ice cream.

There was still a Maine lorry doing regular deliveries where I lived as late as 2009.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Arquinsiel posted:

Did you miss the bit in the bible where some prophet gets slagged by kids so he summons bears to murder like a hundred of them?

Fair but saints don’t seem to get up to that sort of thing so much as piously letting themselves be horribly murdered. Patrick was clearly going back to his roots.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Valko posted:

There was still a Maine lorry doing regular deliveries where I lived as late as 2009.

They delivered to next door back in 2022 so they're still around.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/20-years-in-jail-with-no-chance-of-parole-simon-harriss-law-and-order-plan/a1533182047.html

Because not locking people away forever and not giving enough money to the Gardai is the most pressing problem Ireland has right now.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
He has to have something to announce. Can't point to his success in higher education as he has none.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's an easy crowd pleaser when there were riots in the last couple of months caused by your own failure to apply your existing laws. Just don't think too hard about any of it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
He could announce he's returning to the treestump in the hills where his ma found him

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
ohohohhhohohohhohoho i hadn't heard him speak before

why's count chocula huffing helium then

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I'm a bit out of the loop on this but hasn't it been a relatively consistent issue that there are more people sentenced to jail than there are places in the Irish prison system?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I was driving home from the city center today and I drove next to an anti immigrants group in Coolock with flags and all. Quite a sad sight, I think they were manifesting outside a structure that is going to house some refugees be set on fire in a few weeks.

A few years ago, if I ran into a bunch of men waving the Irish flag, my first thought would have gone to Six Nations or something else of the sort. Really scary that, when I saw a flag popping up in a neighbour's house, I immediately started wondering if they are a mega chud.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 1, 2024

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

I think that is on private property/estate so who knows. :iiam:

The Hedges are on a public road but it's a tiny B-road that wasn't really designed for heavy traffic. The constant stream of Game of Thrones coach tours over the years has seriously damaged a lot of the trees as their root structures form the foundation of the road.

Maine still do door-to-door deliveries of fizzy drinks. Fizzy drink fact: Americans call generic carbonated water a club soda, but it's a lapsed trademark of the Club brand of drinks like Orange, Lemon and Rock Shandy that was invented by C&C in Dublin.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
Really, I always thought it was a generic term for movies like someone ordering a beer in a bar.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Skull Servant posted:

I'm a bit out of the loop on this but hasn't it been a relatively consistent issue that there are more people sentenced to jail than there are places in the Irish prison system?

Yes I do believe that is one of the reasons suspended sentences are so prevalent.
Like everything it's down to lack of investment under 10 years of FG rule.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That Italian Guy posted:

I was driving home from the city center today and I drove next to an anti immigrants group in Coolock with flags and all. Quite a sad sight, I think they were manifesting outside a structure that is going to house some refugees be set on fire in a few weeks.

A few years ago, if I ran into a bunch of men waving the Irish flag, my first thought would have gone to Six Nations or something else of the sort. Really scary that, when I saw a flag popping up in a neighbour's house, I immediately started wondering if they are a mega chud.

The Koolocks Klan at it again

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Skull Servant posted:

That's pretty constant everywhere. The yanks just ignore it and start cramming more people into cells while they build extras.

Failed Imagineer posted:

The Koolocks Klan at it again
It's a short bus ride for Craig Fitzsimmons so it isn't all that surprising.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Maine still do door-to-door deliveries of fizzy drinks. Fizzy drink fact: Americans call generic carbonated water a club soda, but it's a lapsed trademark of the Club brand of drinks like Orange, Lemon and Rock Shandy that was invented by C&C in Dublin.

I grew up in a bar. I wonder if Cantrell and Cochrane still do the peppermint cordial. I noticed a bottle of that stuff sitting on our shelves for years. I couldn't figure out what it was for until I was in my mid-teens. There was a former political prisoner who liked to slam several brandys' and port before going home to his wife. He would take a couple of shots of undiluted peppermint cordial to freshen his breath before leaving. It didn't sober him up any, of course. Also didn't hide the fact that snot was dripping from his nose and he was carrying a bottle of Henessey home under his arm.

If you see a bottle of that stuff in a bar somewhere don't ask to try it. It's likely over 40 years old. I don't think cordial goes out of date, but still...

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
What happened to a pack of silvermints?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Jesus I could murder a Rock Shandy, this thread is making me thirsty.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Marenghi posted:

Finn MacCool so thick his dumper could block up a mountain pass.

So he's a relative of yer ma, then.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
:aaa:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shoehead posted:

Jesus I could murder a Rock Shandy, this thread is making me thirsty.
Rock Shandy is one of Ireland's true hidden gems. I also miss the Pat Frog they used to do, but it's not as classic.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Rock Shandy used to be a staple for me before the UK sugar tax ruined it here in the north. Wondering if it's still the full sugar recipe in Ireland. I can't imagine them setting up separate production lines for north/south so I'm guessing they enshittened it for everyone.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Rock Shandy used to be a staple for me before the UK sugar tax ruined it here in the north. Wondering if it's still the full sugar recipe in Ireland. I can't imagine them setting up separate production lines for north/south so I'm guessing they enshittened it for everyone.

Sugar tax down here too

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Isn't it just taxed more?

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

Aldi do a decent zero sugar rock shandy

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TheDoublePivot posted:

Aldi do a decent zero sugar rock shandy

Their zero sugar Lilt clone is banging too

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I like that, when Ireland elects a new Taoiseach, the 5 new posts in the Irish Politics thread are about the decline of Rock Shandy.

This is not a critique, by the way.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That Italian Guy posted:

I like that, when Ireland elects a new Taoiseach, the 5 new posts in the Irish Politics thread are about the decline of Rock Shandy.

I don't recall any election happening

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

We got Liz Truss'd. Awaiting with baited breath for our Rishi Sunak era.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It's hard to get all het up about Simon Harris, he's just sort of.... there.
Hmm that's Simon Harris alright.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pookah posted:

It's hard to get all het up about Simon Harris, he's just sort of.... there.
Hmm that's Simon Harris alright.

Is he sleekit bland or cold porridge bland?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'd say lukewarm porridge with skim milk bland (no sugar).

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

He looks like Paul Ryan, a set of elbows wearing Daddy's suit, sitting at the adult table, pretending to everyone his feet reach the ground.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I just got a can of Rockshandy to have with my lunch. A can of Club Rock Shandy is 16grams of Sugar, so that's a gull Sugar recipe.

But let me tell you a hack. I used to love Mountain Dew, back when it was full Sugar and caffeine. It's what I'd drink if I needed to stay up late writing assignments in college.

The stuff you get in the shops has no Sugar and is thus horrid.
But if you go to random Asian markets you can find different countries Mountain Dew that is full Sugar. The ones I've seen are Malaysian (tend to be tall skinny cans.) Or ones from the UAE (short, squat cans that are only 300 mls and don't have proper tabs for opening. But they have more Sugar in a can then a can of Coke.)

It's a game changer.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Simon Harris is coasting by on new car smell, when the car in question is a 2008 Toyota Prius. He has no track record and it's hard to take him seriously since he got the job by default.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

That Italian Guy posted:

I definitely didn't vote for that twerp

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Real fuckin "I got to be class president because no one bothered to run" energy from Simon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

Will have to give this a go.

The rock shandy beer Rascals brought out a while ago is decent as well.