Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Stopping in to ask if there are any decent anti-austerity parties that could win the election?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Blut posted:

SF's opposition to the LPT is pretty ridiculous. Have they ever offered a coherent defense of why they, as a supposed left wing party, aren't in favour of taxing the largest wealth resource in the country? Its one of the most progressive, and hardest to avoid, taxes you can implement.

Its policies like that that make me think they're really just a clone of FF waiting to happen when they get into government - slightly left of centre populism, instead of any actual real left wing reform/governance.

I mean there are plenty of arguments against banded property taxes unfairly penalising heavily mortgaged and indebted homeowners as a result of runaway property price inflation that can be put against the LPT - the fact the bands have remained static since 2013 and the subsequent explosion in headline house prices does mean households are getting saddled with increased taxation while still paying down debt accrued from pre-crash mortgages (SF consistently position the LPT as a tax on debt).

The follow through on scrapping LPT and replacing it with a more equitable property taxation system is one of those things Irish politics also struggles with, the dread spectre of New Taxes. Social Justice Ireland have been pushing a Site Value Tax for a while now which really is why the other smaller parties have been adopting it to replace LPT rather than just scraping it, considering most of them have been adopting policies of "no higher taxes for the average worker" rather than tax cuts that's an easier sell for them than SF who prefer a model of trimming taxes for low incomes.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

kustomkarkommando posted:

I mean there are plenty of arguments against banded property taxes unfairly penalising heavily mortgaged and indebted homeowners as a result of runaway property price inflation that can be put against the LPT - the fact the bands have remained static since 2013 and the subsequent explosion in headline house prices does mean households are getting saddled with increased taxation while still paying down debt accrued from pre-crash mortgages (SF consistently position the LPT as a tax on debt).

The follow through on scrapping LPT and replacing it with a more equitable property taxation system is one of those things Irish politics also struggles with, the dread spectre of New Taxes. Social Justice Ireland have been pushing a Site Value Tax for a while now which really is why the other smaller parties have been adopting it to replace LPT rather than just scraping it, considering most of them have been adopting policies of "no higher taxes for the average worker" rather than tax cuts that's an easier sell for them than SF who prefer a model of trimming taxes for low incomes.

The common "asset rich, cash poor" argument against property taxes can be quite easily sidestepped by letting LPT go unpaid if people need to, but having it build up and collecting it whenever the property is sold. This has the added benefit of taxing the huge unearned wealth transfer that people inheriting get, since base inheritance tax is so politically hard to increase.

In terms of fairness though I do agree a property tax based solely on property value does discriminate against people living in areas with rapid house price inflation, given how overpriced Dublin, Cork and Galway are. A property tax based on the square footage of the property would seem fairer, and might also help dissuade rural McMansion sprawl. And might encourage older couples in big empty houses to downsize.

I could understand FG opposing property taxes because it completely plays to their urban, upper middle class base, and centre-right positioning. But SF's opposition, despite their working class voter base and claimed left-wing philosophy, is just pure FF style populism. If SF were actually left-wing they should be a party arguing to implement more taxes on the asset rich, not less.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Quick reminder the first multi party leaders debate is on RTE One at half nine tonight with FF, FG, Labour, SF, The Greens, Solidarity-PBP (Boyd Barrett on duty) and the SocDems (Shortall for them).

No Aontu which I'm sure Breda O Brien is probably disappointed about

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Chuka Umana posted:

Stopping in to ask if there are any decent anti-austerity parties that could win the election?

Anti-Austerity Alliance/People before Profit but they won't get enough seats to form a government by themselves. Workers Party is also anti-austerity but they are even more tiny and probably won't win any seats. Sinn Fein is also anti-austerity.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Boyd Barrett always wins the audience in these things

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Mary Lou going consistently on the attack against FF and FG's records in every answer doesn't seem to be playing fantastically with the audience, Howlin and Barrett seem to have gotten more applause

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Not sure you could pinpoint who won last night's debate - Boyd Barrett seemed to win the audience, Mary Lou did a decent turn - Shortall definately finished bottom though in terms of performance

SocDem/Labour (re)merger if they can't get any more TDs?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Not sure you could pinpoint who won last night's debate - Boyd Barrett seemed to win the audience, Mary Lou did a decent turn - Shortall definately finished bottom though in terms of performance

SocDem/Labour (re)merger if they can't get any more TDs?

SocDem were splitters from Labour anyway right? There isn't much difference to them either way.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Ireland's voting method is fascinating. In terms of strategy, is it better to be divisive to rack up just enough votes for one candidate in each constituency than it is to try and triangulate for a push with multiple candidates in each constituency?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

Ireland's voting method is fascinating. In terms of strategy, is it better to be divisive to rack up just enough votes for one candidate in each constituency than it is to try and triangulate for a push with multiple candidates in each constituency?

It really depends on the constituency. In some with very popular candidates, running two or even three candidates from the same party that will benefit from the run off is a thing that happens fairly regularly. In others it has ended up splitting the vote and instead of getting an almost guaranteed two, you end up with only one getting in and two split enough that neither qualify.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

if you do transfer management really well you can have a candidate come last in first preference votes and still get elected

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/ellenmcoyne/status/1222057272924393472?s=19

https://twitter.com/ellenmcoyne/status/1222059154329808902?s=19

FG media training paying off

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

lmao if she posted that here she'd have eaten a probe. Not surprising to hear hes hard to relate to, everything I've heard about the guy leads me to believe he's a coke snorting sociopath.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

A Maria Bailey-esque combination of arrogance and idiocy there. FG really seem to be cornering the market on that demographic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It cuts off the best bit.

:lol:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I would never use the N word, I say seconds after having said it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It wasn't on live TV I assume but I think it might beat the funny tinge party.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Southpaugh posted:

lmao if she posted that here she'd have eaten a probe. Not surprising to hear hes hard to relate to, everything I've heard about the guy leads me to believe he's a coke snorting sociopath.

A friend of mine works in the Civil Service and worked in (I think) the Department of Health when Leo was there.

He said that when he ran into Leo in the Lifts he would stand facing everyone and not talk.

Then some months after this my friend was at a work do and his boss introduced my friend to Leo.
My friend said he had met Leo before on a number of occasions in the lift.

My friend says that Leo's response was basically "I dont remember ever seeing you before. So you must be lying."

It was this gag from Family Guy, put in real life.
(If the link doesn't work it's from the 4 minute 20 second mark.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BImVg9SaoWg

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I sense a war of the sums on the fringes - SF's manifesto commits to building 100k houses in five years at the cost of €6.5bn drawn from general taxation while Labour is going for 80k at the cost of uh €16bn (drawn from the strategic investment fund, borrowing through the EIB and a new investment vehicle for credit unions)

Waiting to see to full manifesto commit for SF cause 65k as cost of construction seems cheap

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Have they considered building a giant crane on Manx to literally steal houses from English Express readers and deposit them as newbuilds in Meath?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

tbh I wouldn't imagine anyone outside of construction has a reasonable estimate of what it costs to build a house anymore, and I mean, just build it. Not wantonly profiteer off of the sale of materials, loans, leases, labour and land. It'll easily turn into 180K per domicile.

The whole idea of "building houses people need, to live in" i.e. the council house is so far removed from the public consciousness as to be entirely abstract. Not to mention the creeping meaninglessness of sums of money. 6.5 billions how much is that? How many years of labour is that? What percentage of GDP is that? How does one access such a sum of money?

Can we build public housing while maintaining the ever increasing rents and price of houses? The answer is no. The bubble needs to pop at some point. The problem is the people who lose out are the core economic motivators of the nation, cops, school teachers etc all the mortgage holders who will be up to their necks in debt if the price goes down. It's one giant ouroboros.

I think I just talked myself out of voting this year.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I know building standards are a thing but I'd love to just put up a crap shack for myself, drill some fiberglass panels into the walls and be done with it.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Usual caveats about small sample size as per the Donegal poll but none the less

https://twitter.com/NextIrishGE/status/1222234823693082625?s=19

Social Democrats candidate biting at the heels of O Cuiv and a definite green surge there

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Grealish on 7% is very interesting, and a little bit reassuring.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

If Connolly scraped in above Kyne, and the rest of that remained as is, it'd be a great result.

Grealish going out on his ear, along with Peter Casey doing terrible, would just re-enforce theres no place for the sort of dog whistle politics in Ireland.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Blut posted:

If Connolly scraped in above Kyne, and the rest of that remained as is, it'd be a great result.

Grealish going out on his ear, along with Peter Casey doing terrible, would just re-enforce theres no place for the sort of dog whistle politics in Ireland.

Part of me feels like the relatively low numbers for O Cuiv, sitting on what he got during the great FF bonfire of 2011 even with all the FF poll jumps, might mean the poll is a little bit to urban skewed.

Grealish may yet get his numbers

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Noone effectively subtly given the boot with FG dropping their preference instructions for her constituency

https://twitter.com/fiachkelly/status/1222599545403645952?s=19

This nugget is the real gold though

quote:

During the meetings, Ms Noone is understood to have asked that she be given the opportunity to explain herself in a broadcast media interview.

It is understood that Mr Donohoe and Mr Curran stipulated that Ms Noone first be assessed in a mock interview by the party press office before agreeing to such a request.

It is further understood that following the mock interview, Mr Donohoe and Mr Curran decided against putting Ms Noone out on the national airwaves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Booooooo.

Just imagine how far she could have gotten her foot into her own mouth if the transcript is anything to go by.

My bet is in and out the other end and then in again at least three times, like some sort of recursive oroborous.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I'm in the part of Laois that last year was moved over to Kildare South for the election, so it's been great watching all our representatives freak out over lost votes and the potential TD's confusion over why they should care about anyone outside of Kildare / Newbridge.

The campaign has been fun to watch unfold so far.

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 30, 2020

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Anybody have a streaming link from outside *in extremely brexiteer voice* EIRE?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Noone effectively subtly given the boot with FG dropping their preference instructions for her constituency

https://twitter.com/fiachkelly/status/1222599545403645952?s=19

This nugget is the real gold though

I see they learned from Maria Bailey's Swing-gate, not to let members go on-air live to defend their stupidity.

Also I've kind of noticed a shift in older people being open about their support for Sinn Fein. I kept quiet in my political leanings last election as I noticed people in my workplace in the older age bracket 35 or 40+, would disparage SF and sagely conclude that FG is the only sensible choice, the only economically responsible party to lead the country. All the jokes about knee-capping's and the IRA.

Now I've noticed a lot more of them are talking about voting Sinn Fein. They seem really motivated by their children not being able afford rents or able to buy. That and the worlds most expensive children's hospital seems to have eroded the "truth" that FG are the most economically literate party.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 31, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I've noticed a number of work colleges who I follow on Twitter (the Joy's of having to maintain professional relationships. ) are making long posts about having to be "sensible" and "how we can't afford to support parties that are promising free things and how everything has a cost."

And really it is all code for "I am voting FG/FF because I am financially comfortable and that is all that matters."

So it also means I know whom I can disapprove of because of their politics.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The spiciest poll

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1223400971465822213?s=19

FF+FG = 42%

SF + Labour + Solidarity-PBP + SocDems + Greens = 46%

Dare we dream of an actual left government

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

The seats don't work out quite exactly aligned with the voting percentages unfortunately. Even at those percentages FF/FG would get 80ish between them due to a better geographical vote distribution, likely enough to block any left wing government from forming.

Plus the PBP/AAA types are so dogmatic in their approach I can never see them compromising and going into government. We'd need to see SF/LAB/SD/Greens together polling a bit higher at 45-50% for them to have a chance of forming a government.

Its also an online poll which I'd be a bit wary of, they tend to overrepresent SF. But it'd be great if it turned out to be accurate, another milestone in the decline of FF/FG.

Blut fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 1, 2020

Standish
May 21, 2001

This guy is in for a treat when someone tells him what "SF" stands for:
https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1223402712576020482

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Being fair SF is fairly keen on making Ireland a larger country than it is now :v:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OwlFancier posted:

Being fair SF is fairly keen on making Ireland a larger country than it is now :v:

SF wanta to make the Irish republuc WHOLE again.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

FF are so pro-British after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1223723322208346112?s=19